Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Which Tank Will Be Full First? - Forum Games (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / Which Tank Will Be Full First? (60952 Views)

Which Tank Will Fill Up First (photo) / Which tank will fill up first? / Which Tank Gets Filled First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by MackBrooklyn: 11:50am On Jan 03, 2017
Oyind17:
You did. Wear them and take a selfie

cheesy grin

Well, I want Nike Jordan tongue
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by Spandy(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2017
jo997:

<b> pressure </b> hence there is continuous flow then I see no need of using the word pressure to answer the question. moreover the tanks are at different elevations with openings are varied heights, so the naturally the water will be force out through the openings.
yes The water will be forced out through the openings (pipes) due to pressure, but if the pressure or force of water coming out from the tap into tank 1 is enormous or greater than the speed at the outlet in tank 2, it is certain that tank 1 will get filled up faster.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by 3moses: 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2017
haibe:
haba they cant fill at the same time exactly. One must fill up first
not being a science student...u should be vast in reasoning (not an insult pls)...3 & 4 are at d base...3 fil up to d level of where d link pipe enters 4 and stops there, 3 remains dt level til 4 meet it and both fils to d brim at same time.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by screamng: 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2017
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by haibe(m): 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2017
3moses:

not being a science student...u should be vast in reasoning (not an insult pls)...3 & 4 are at d base...3 fil up to d level of where d link pipe enters 4 and stops there, 3 remains dt level til 4 meet it and both fils to d brim at same time.
dude you be olodo (no offence), tank 4 fills up first.. a primary school pupil will understand this.. not in the mood for typing, i would showed u a thorough analysis. But read through this thread from page 1, several people have given the correct logic.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2017
haibe:
dude you be olodo (no offence), tank 4 fills up first.. a primary school pupil will understand this.. not in the mood for typing, i would showed u a thorough analysis. But read through this thread from page 1, several people have given the correct logic.

Lolzzz..

The guy is right and you are wrong..
simple video on youtube will help you with the answer.

1 Like

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by haibe(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2017
Mrtolotolo:

Lolzzz..

The guy is right and you are wrong..
simple video on youtube will help you with the answer.
actually the purpose of that post was to give him a taste of the insult he gave to me.. he thought he is wise.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 03, 2017
haibe:
actually the purpose of that post was to give him a taste of the insult he gave to me.. he thought he is wise.

ehhm please explain exactly how you accomplished that?

1) he clearly stated no "insult"

2) you are wrong

3) he is wise..because he is right
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by haibe(m): 2:13pm On Jan 03, 2017
vodutive:

ehhm please explain exactly how you accomplished that?

1) he clearly stated no "insult"

2) you are wrong

3) he is wise..because he is right
You must be dumb (no insult). What am i wrong about?
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by DEYOUNGAFEEZ: 2:38pm On Jan 03, 2017
4th
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by supergoz13(m): 2:39pm On Jan 03, 2017
Tank 4. Reason: Tank 3 doesn't need to be filled before water can get to tank4 so, for tank 3 to be filled then tank 4 must be filled so as to stop the escape of water although it might be close enough. Pressure depends too!!
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2017
DEXTROVERT:
Tank 1 Will Be The First To Be Full To The BRIM
are u joking? u are actually correct
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 3:51pm On Jan 03, 2017
FIZIK:
Cannot say based on the information given.

How fast is the tap running?
How fast are the tanks losing water?
what level is full and how long does it have to hold water at that level?

If the tap runs faster that the outlets it would be 1 hitting the brim first followed by 2.
If not and assuming all outlets have equal capacity then 3 and 4 would progress simultaneously.
are ua mechanical engineer?
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2017
3moses:
most nairalanders are olodos....
3 & 4 filled to d brim at d same time...
this is called law of equal proportion...
hmmmm..smh for u....the tanks get filled in order of 1234s
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
femi4:
I don't do copy and paste. That video is incorrect.

Tank 3 will overflow before 4.

By applying Bernoulli's equation, we
can actually calculate the water level (head) difference of the two tanks to be:

h = (Q / A)^2 / (2 * g)

Where Q is the flow rate between the tanks and
A is the cross sectional area of the connector.

Say we have a A = 1.6 square inches (about the size of a quarter), and that Q = 20 gallons per minute.The water level in tank 3 will be 3 inches higher than in tank 4. Also, if you account for friction losses, this height difference will actually be even greater.
hmmmm...how about if tank 1 gets filled up first?
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 4:05pm On Jan 03, 2017
tk4rd:
The size or cross-sectional area of the connector have nothing to do in this case.. This is not a case of "closed pipe hydraulics" neither is it a case of "pipes under pressure"..
All that matters here is "Atmospheric Pressure", "Gravity", and "difference in level between the connectors"..
Since all the tanks are open to the atmosphere, the atmospheric pressure will always ensure to balance the water levels in the tanks once they are above the highest point of the highest interconnecting junction in the whole set up.
Therefore, at the point when Tanks 3 & 4 are full and overflowing, the water in Tank-2 will maintain a level that is equal to the top level of the water in Tanks 3 & 4; and if you observe carefully, this final water level is above the points of interconnections between the tanks.
Even if the water from the tap above stops flowing, the water in Tank-2 will remain stable at the level coinciding with the top of Tanks 3 & 4. Also, the water in Tanks 3 & 4 will remain full and stable without overflowing until the tap above starts flowing again.
fluid mechanics expert....

1 Like

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 4:06pm On Jan 03, 2017
tk4rd:
The size or cross-sectional area of the connector have nothing to do in this case.. This is not a case of "closed pipe hydraulics" neither is it a case of "pipes under pressure"..
All that matters here is "Atmospheric Pressure", "Gravity", and "difference in level between the connectors"..
Since all the tanks are open to the atmosphere, the atmospheric pressure will always ensure to balance the water levels in the tanks once they are above the highest point of the highest interconnecting junction in the whole set up.
Therefore, at the point when Tanks 3 & 4 are full and overflowing, the water in Tank-2 will maintain a level that is equal to the top level of the water in Tanks 3 & 4; and if you observe carefully, this final water level is above the points of interconnections between the tanks.
Even if the water from the tap above stops flowing, the water in Tank-2 will remain stable at the level coinciding with the top of Tanks 3 & 4. Also, the water in Tanks 3 & 4 will remain full and stable without overflowing until the tap above starts flowing again.
fluid mechanics expert.... tank 1 will get filled first

1 Like

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by imokha123: 4:09pm On Jan 03, 2017
tank 3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by martineinstein(m): 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2017
Spandy:
If the pressure from the water source(tap)is very high, I think tank 1 will be filled up first before any other tank owing to the tiny size of the pipe linking eachother.
well said
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by imokha123: 4:11pm On Jan 03, 2017
Tank 3
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by dipopooo(m): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2017
Hmmm.. I knw dis year is my year. This got to d fp after a month i created it. May God answer all my heart desires dis year.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by dipopooo(m): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2017
Jdesilentkiller:
My problem with this kind of post is that the OP might not even know the real answer.. And he will keep people guessing until he got the answer or got really confused and the thread die because of too much debate by the association of ITKs.. Shalom

I knw d ansa bro. I'm not a dullard
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by dipopooo(m): 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2017
Donshemzy1234:
Who move the rubbish to front page

Bad belle.. U no wan make i hit fp abi? God pass u
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by dipopooo(m): 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2017
ngmgeek:
How much did they pay you for this question. Tell us first cheesy

Na wa 4 u oo

1 Like

Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by tk4rd: 7:00pm On Jan 03, 2017
martineinstein:
fluid mechanics expert.... tank 1 will get filled first
If only, and I mean, IF ONLY the flow rate at which the water flowing from the tap above Tank-1 is higher than the flow rate at which water is flowing from the connection from Tank-1 into Tank-2.. Thus, as the water is leaking into Tank-2 naturally under atmospheric pressure and gravity,,, Tank-1 gets filled faster due to the high flow rate from the tap above it, and it continues to overflow..
Tanks 3 & 4 will naturally get filled at the same time under the conditions of atmospheric pressure and gravity.
Tank-2 will never get filled anyway.
NOW..
If the tap above Tank-1 stops flowing, the water in Tank-1 would drain into Tank-2, which in turn drains into Tanks 3 & 4.. Water would continue to overflow from the tops of Tanks 3 & 4 until the level of water in Tank-2 equals to and balances with (coincides with) the top levels of Tanks 3 & 4.. That would be the time the overflowing in Tanks 3 & 4 would stop..
If the tap above opens again at its normal high flow rate, Tank-1 would fill up again and start overflowing as usual. Tank-2 will not get filled up.. Tanks 3 & 4 would just start to overflow again. (because they were filled to the brim all the while that the tap was closed, and they were stable while they were filled.)
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by tk4rd: 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
dipopooo:

I knw d ansa bro. I'm not a dullard
So,, TELL US THE ANSWER.!!
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by dipopooo(m): 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2017
tk4rd:
So,, TELL US THE ANSWER.!!
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by iukpe: 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2017
ladyF:
My answer is tank 3.

Tank 1 can't get filled up because it keeps losing water to tank 2.

Tank 2 can't get filled up because it keeps losing water to tank 3.

Tank 3 can only start filling up tank 4 once it gets sufficient volume/pressure to push water up that height to tank 4. So it's going to get filled up before tank 4 does.

Hope ayam not an olodo o. Oya clap for LadyF.

It's LadyF again grin grin grin

Actually Tank 3 and 4 will fill up same time. The rest will never fill but continue to spill out through 3 and 4.
In engineering you have to make sensible assumptions. Determine what is constant and state your theory.
The diagram is very clear about a few things,
1. The tanks are positioned at different heights.
2. The discharge pipes are fixed so remember, water finds its own level.
3. The tanks are not closed containers so it is assumed that the top is open on all tanks.
4. we can assume that the flow rate of the tap is equivalent the rate that water will discharge through the pipes. NB. there will be no pressure build up due to water level in tanks 1 and 2 because their discharge pipes are at a low level in the tanks.

You can see the rest and say QED.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by tk4rd: 10:12pm On Jan 03, 2017
dipopooo:

I think 2 is more correct.
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by Tidamsel: 8:30am On Jan 06, 2017
4th Tank
Re: Which Tank Will Be Full First? by chiwex(m): 7:12am On Jan 17, 2017
It is thank 3

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Date Or Ditch Game / If U Were In The Same Room With The Person Above U,what Will U Do? / Let's Use Smileys Only!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.