Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,417 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Radiator Fan Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Fan Problem (913 Views)

Radiator Problems On 2006 Honda Accord !!! / 4 Typical Signs Of A Failing Radiator / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Fan Problem by kton(m): 5:40pm On Dec 11, 2016
Hello gurus in the house! Pls help in identifying the issue with my ford escape radiator fan.
I just discovered that the radiator fan refuse to pick up after sometime that the engine had been working but will pick up immediately the Ac is on and stop working few minute after putting off the Ac.
note: thermostat has not been tampered with.
Pls,what could be possible cause of this and what could be done to rectify this problem.
Thanks.
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by mayor2013: 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2016
kton:
Hello gurus in the house! Pls help in identifying the issue with my ford escape radiator fan.
I just discovered that the radiator fan refuse to pick up after sometime that the engine had been working but will pick up immediately the Ac is on and stop working few minute after putting off the Ac.
Pls,what could be possible cause of this and what could be done to rectify this problem.
Thanks.

What year is your ford escape? The fan module must have failed if yours has got one. Its located close to the bracket of the fans
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by kton(m): 6:40pm On Dec 11, 2016
mayor2013:

What year is your ford escape? The fan module must have failed if yours has got one. Its located close to the bracket of the fans

Re: Radiator Fan Problem by mayor2013: 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2016
kton:

Yours does not have a module. Check your fan relay. Confirm if bad by swapping with another workinh relay in your ipdm (fuse box)
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by kton(m): 8:33pm On Dec 11, 2016
mayor2013:

Yours does not have a module. Check your fan relay. Confirm if bad by swapping with another workinh relay in your ipdm (fuse box)

thanks for your input. pls how do I identify which relay is meant for radiator fan?
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by mayor2013: 8:40pm On Dec 11, 2016
kton:

thanks for your input. pls how do I identify which relay is meant for radiator fan?

Open the cover of your fuse box turn it inside out and check for description. If not seen there then you need an engineer to help you with this
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by kton(m): 9:07pm On Dec 11, 2016
mayor2013:

Open the cover of your fuse box turn it inside out and check for description. If not seen there then you need an engineer to help you with this

ok thanks.
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by sultaan(m): 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2016
Is your car overheating, if not why mess with it?

Fan comes on when ac is turned on(normal to cool down condenser)

Fan also comes on when the thermometer goes past normal temp which is between 85-95C or 185-200F that is around the middle point of the thermometer, if it is not staying at the middle point thermostat has been removed, if its going past the middle point rinse out the radiators fins because it is covered with dust/dirt

It seems you just got the car and afraid of American brand, taking it to an uninformed mechanic to tamper with it is what kills most cars.

There seems to be nothing wrong now just make sure your radiator fins are clean.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Fan Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:07am On Dec 12, 2016
kton:
Thanks.

lets clear things first

your fan should only kick in/ turn on when the temperature has reach a certian point between 82-90 depending with setting but this only happens when all things are in your i.e thermostat and when your fan is not connected direct (common thing with bush mechanic in nigeria)

in general terms when a car is in idle and travelling at very low speeds eg 15mph, the fan kicks in to help to cool the coolant, this happens only when the temperature has reached a certain degrees (between 82-90) and the same time the thermostat open to let out hot coolant and let cold in

so tell how long did you let your car idle to see that the fan is not kicking in

on average when drive for long distance and park without switching the engine you will hear the fan kicking in why ? simple during the course of driving the engine had reached its optinum operating temperature and air hitting your radiator from opposite direction cools your coolant therefor your fan never kicks in if you are driving above 30mph, so when you park and let the engine idle they wont be any air coming to your radiator so two things happen 1 since the car had reached operating temperature, the temperature will raise more and your thermostat open and 2 fan kicks in to cool the coolant

so if you try to test the car without letting reach operating temperature, the fan wont kick in quicking as you would want

so in your case drive for 15mins and stop but dont switch off the car let it idle and wait for the fan to kick in, if it doesnt within 15mins of idling after that 15mins of driving with switching of then there is a problem with fan
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by kton(m): 7:05am On Dec 12, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

lets clear things first

your fan should only kick in/ turn on when the temperature has reach a certian point between 82-90 depending with setting but this only happens when all things are in your i.e thermostat and when your fan is not connected direct (common thing with bush mechanic in nigeria)

in general terms when a car is in idle and travelling at very low speeds eg 15mph, the fan kicks in to help to cool the coolant, this happens only when the temperature has reached a certain degrees (between 82-90) and the same time the thermostat open to let out hot coolant and let cold in

so tell how long did you let your car idle to see that the fan is not kicking in

on average when drive for long distance and park without switching the engine you will hear the fan kicking in why ? simple during the course of driving the engine had reached its optinum operating temperature and air hitting your radiator from opposite direction cools your coolant therefor your fan never kicks in if you are driving above 30mph, so when you park and let the engine idle they wont be any air coming to your radiator so two things happen 1 since the car had reached operating temperature, the temperature will raise more and your thermostat open and 2 fan kicks in to cool the coolant

so if you try to test the car without letting reach operating temperature, the fan wont kick in quicking as you would want

so in your case drive for 15mins and stop but dont switch off the car let it idle and wait for the fan to kick in, if it doesnt within 15mins of idling after that 15mins of driving with switching of then there is a problem with fan

Thank so much. my concern is that the fan does pick up after 15min of drive before. but just discovered that it does does not pick up again not until i put on the ac.
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by honmusa(m): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2016
kton:

Thank so much. my concern is that the fan does pick up after 15min of drive before. but just discovered that it does does not pick up again not until i put on the ac.
Your fan does not just come up untill it has exceeded the threshold temperature required for it to pick up .Dont worry yourself unnecessarily ,if there is enough ramp air to prevent the engine temperature from getting to the threshold temperature, the fan will not be triggered to work .It is not about how long your car has been working ,it all about the engine temperature .Get a scanner to measure the engine temperature pid to comfirm this .
Re: Radiator Fan Problem by 9icetoo(m): 9:54am On Dec 12, 2016
op has plans yo kill that engine. kwontinue.
do a small test op. start the car, let someone else sit inside and fix their eyes on the temp gauge. instruct that person to call your attention if the needle gets to the 3/4 mark or turn off the car. op, stay in front of the car and watch the fan. if it comes on before the guy in the car calls your attention or turns off the car, then you have nothing to worry about. if you go ahead and kazeemize that fan connection, then ladipo woulndnt mind having you around in a few years time when you go for a new engine.

(1) (Reply)

2 Seater F1 Racecar Available For Sale (photos) / Sell Us Your Used Distress Vehicles / Simple Ways To Safe Fuel In Automatic Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.