Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,125 members, 7,860,057 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:15 AM

Why Do We Marry? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Marry? (12301 Views)

Poll: Do we marry to make other happy or to be happy

Make me happy: 41% (21 votes)
Make mate happy: 19% (10 votes)
For the fun of it: 7% (4 votes)
To make my parents happy: 13% (7 votes)
Not sure: 17% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Marry? / .... / 8 Common Ways We Marry The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 10:05pm On Dec 11, 2009
if u are marrying for such reason, then, what wld u do, after wedding, he turns out to have the power in his hands?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 11, 2009
He had better not try that nonsense with me or else. . .
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 10:19pm On Dec 11, 2009
michelin89:

He had better not try that nonsense with me or else. . .

Else what?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 11, 2009
Reality is until you get married to someone, you are always second. Second to themselves, second to their family, second to their friends, second to even their dog.

Everyone deserves to be first and if by misfortune you fall in love with a mummy's boy, or a friend adulator, nothing stops you from tieing him up in marriage to retain the first position. Then you can make him pay for all those years you spent being the less important.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 11:04pm On Dec 11, 2009
After marriage, you will be second if i wanna make u second.
One thing that you need to know is this, you can define yourself to be what you want, but what the man define you to be is what you are, the law, your friends and your mind can tell you otherwise, but only him can tell you where you belong.
So if you wanna marry for power, my sister, you have no clue what cld be in the pipeline . . . . grin
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 11, 2009
I love surprises. They are challenging. cool
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2009
That is good
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 4:29am On Dec 12, 2009
michelin89:

I love surprises. They are challenging. cool

Trust me, in marriage you will see plenty surprises, I have seen them in many marriages. All the best.  cool

For me, I need better reasons, else I want she & I to remain lovers till either love or hatred or change of mind or death do us part. cheesy
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Dec 12, 2009
I feel u jare
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 10:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
Why do u think we marry?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2009
you guys are still on this thread shocked shocked shocked

as it seems you will never find an answer that will satisfy you why not wait till you marry then viola you will finally know the reason you married tongue
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 9:05am On Dec 19, 2009
~Sissy~:

you guys are still on this thread shocked shocked shocked

as it seems you will never find an answer that will satisfy you why not wait till you marry then viola you will finally know the reason you married tongue

Not good enuf, there need to be able to have reasons before doing such.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by tRoOE(f): 11:08pm On Dec 19, 2009
Now see this reasons, are these good enuf for someone to marry, cook for someone, and run errand for him and make him feel like a king?
These are all things that cld be done without the "i do"
So take your time and think hard about da reason why you marry or would get married
LOL U R A JOKER
wat other reason do i need before i say "I DO"
Run errand?? do i look like his maid
Re: Why Do We Marry? by peachie(f): 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2009
OAM4J:

Trust me, in marriage you will see plenty surprises, I have seen them in many marriages. All the best.  cool

For me, I need better reasons, else I want she & I to remain lovers till either love or hatred or change of mind or death do us part. cheesy

True talk  OAM4J. I totally agree with you. In a lot of  marriages there's no commitment whatsoever!
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 4:53am On Dec 20, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Not good enuf, there need to be able to have reasons before doing such.

more than good reasons have been given, so what other magic reason is there?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by gospelseed(m): 7:26pm On Dec 20, 2009
The reasons for marriage is simply to meet or satisfy needs. These needs may be physical, physiological, emotional, spiritual, economical, pressure-wise, societal, you can name them. Marrying is one way to live complete holistically except if one has other reason(s) not to marry.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2009
gospelseed:

The reasons for marriage is simply to meet or satisfy needs. These needs may be physical, physiological, emotional, spiritual, economical, pressure-wise, societal, you can name them. Marrying is one way to live complete holistically except if one has other reason(s) not to marry.

The debate has been that, all these needs can be met by 2 lovers without getting married. Why must we say 'I do' when we can achieve all these without getting married and possibly prevent future pains.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by gospelseed(m): 8:40pm On Dec 20, 2009
The debate has been that, all these needs can be met by 2 lovers without getting married. Why must we say 'I do' when we can achieve all these without getting married and possibly prevent future pains.

That was why I said, holistic completeness is in marrying. Something is wrong with meeting some of these needs outside marriage. Religious beliefs apart, even traditions understand that there is something wrong about those who believe in doing things ordained within marriage outside marriage. Having a life partner is never a pain, pains come from wrong choices. This is true of every other thing apart from marriage. Wrong choice is the mother of pain. A good marriage choice is one of the most wonderful things that can happen to any body.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 9:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
gospelseed:

That was why I said, holistic completeness is in marrying. Something is wrong with meeting some of these needs outside marriage. Religious beliefs apart, even traditions understand that there is something wrong about those who believe in doing things ordained within marriage outside marriage. Having a life partner is never a pain, pains come from wrong choices. This is true of every other thing apart from marriage. Wrong choice is the mother of pain. A good marriage choice is one of the most wonderful things that can happen to any body.

I will take it that, you accept marriage, because of your religion and traditional believes. That is good enough but some peep dont give a damm about religion and traditional believes you know.

I agree with your good choice concept, but so many people never know/believe they were making wrong choices until they got married, then it become difficult/late to reconsider thier choices. Again if they only remain lovers and later realise they are not meant for each other, they simply move on thier separate ways without any divorce complications
Re: Why Do We Marry? by SALady(f): 9:55pm On Dec 20, 2009
Fhemmmy, are you ever going to tell us the answer to your question? You've even managed to open old wounds that's enough,
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 20, 2009
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:22am On Dec 21, 2009
~Sissy~:

more than good reasons have been given, so what other magic reason is there?

I wish i know too . . . wanna learn too.
SA Lady:

Fhemmmy, are you ever going to tell us the answer to your question? You've even managed to open old wounds that's enough,

Mind sharing that old wound for us all to learn?
OAM4J:

I will take it that, you accept marriage, because of your religion and traditional believes. That is good enough but some peep dont give a damm about religion and traditional believes you know.

I agree with your good choice concept, but so many people never know/believe they were making wrong choices until they got married, then it become difficult/late to reconsider thier choices. Again if they only remain lovers and later realise they are not meant for each other, they simply move on thier separate ways without any divorce complications

Keep it bro.
chaircover:

Has anyone noticed the poll shocked

The highest number of votes was for "To make me happy" and only 15% got married to "make their mate happy" but the most intriguing result was 18% of people didn't know why they were married/will get married.

you seems to be one of the very few that analyzes the poll . . . i think it is sad the reason why people are getting married.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by SeanT21(f): 6:45am On Dec 21, 2009
In Ur poll, "Other" should be an option. I don't agree with any of those points, especially the 1st one. One can be single and still be happy.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 21, 2009
Femi, do ppl actually marry to make the other mate happy?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 6:50am On Dec 21, 2009
True love gives independent of what it gets. Those claiming they are marrying for love should be doing it in other to make their mates happy.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:51am On Dec 21, 2009
FL Gators:

Femi, do ppl actually marry to make the other mate happy?

You mean you have never heard someone saying, i married him cos i feel bad for him?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

You mean you have never heard someone saying, i married him cos i feel bad for him?

In movies, yea.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:58am On Dec 21, 2009
FL Gators:

In movies, yea.

I am sure it happens in real life oh.
For example a man gave a woman belle and married the woman cos of the baby, even thought he knows he does not love the woman, what would u say to that?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by H2O2: 6:59am On Dec 21, 2009
Hmm good question

Societal ritual?  Religious expectation? Familial and/or peer pressure?  Need for companionship?
For structure and family? Satisfy sexual needs? To feel a deeper sense of commitment to one's love for a spouse?
To bear children within normal customs?  For benefits?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 7:00am On Dec 21, 2009
H2O2:

Hmm good question

Societal ritual?  Religious expectation? Familial and/or pressure?  Need for companionship?
For structure and family? Satisfy sexual needs? To feel a deeper sense of commitment to one's love for a spouse?
To bear children within normal customs?  For benefits?

Do u noticed that with all your reasons, nothing is about you . . . .it is all about people and society and customs, so where do u fit in?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am sure it happens in real life oh.
For example a man gave a woman belle and married the woman cos of the baby, even thought he knows he does not love the woman, what would u say to that?
Sugbon Femi, iyen ko ki n se bad feeling na.
Thatz fulfilling a responsibility and an obligation.

But I get whatchu trynna say.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 7:05am On Dec 21, 2009
FL Gators:

Sugbon Femi, iyen ko ki n se bad feeling na.
Thatz fulfilling a responsibility and an obligation.

But I get whatchu trynna say.

Unfortunately, i am not too good in reading Yoruba.
But a man can fulfill responsibilities and still make himself happy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Do Wives Deserve A Slap Or Two To Caution Them? / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? / Nigerian-british Grandmother Jailed In China Over Shoe Shop Dispute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.