Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation (38070 Views)

Ministers Caught Sleeping During Budget Presentation (Photos) / Man On Motorcycle Supports Buhari After Budget Presentation. PICS / Fayose Wears Military Attire For Budget Presentation At Ekiti House Of Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
googlepikins:
ainsha who?? It's like you are mad.

Thank you.God bless you.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Abeos(m): 6:37pm On Dec 14, 2016
PMB you have failed this state

1 Like

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Martinola(m): 6:38pm On Dec 14, 2016
we shall see
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by brookz: 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2016
Bravo Mr President, May it be d End of Recession in our Gr8 Territorial nation space Naija, Ameen.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by COMPAQ(m): 6:47pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sweetguy25:
7 trillion under Buhari is 3 trillion under GEJ. Naira has been devalued by over a 100 percent so Nigerians dont be fooled

This is a very valid point actually.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by psalmsjob: 6:55pm On Dec 14, 2016
herzern:
Sir.

You are the man fit for the job.

*You won't award ghost contracts
*You won't pardon the lootinq of our commonwealth
*You won't pay Traditional Rulers dollars for your re-election
*You won't siphon Public funds for private use.

I BELIEVE IN THE GCFR.

You too correct my guy!

1 Like

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by discusant: 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2016
herzern:
Sir.

I BELIEVE IN THE GCFR.

There is no characteristic of creation of wealth and abundance and nation building in any of the five attributes you gave to President Buhari. Sorry. We are in recession and going to depression, how does any of the above characteristics save us?
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 14, 2016
My take away is that Buhari is for losers
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by FmO4(m): 7:17pm On Dec 14, 2016
feodan:
some one should help me tell this man should shut up

What the hell are u saying man,I believe u r a good or should be a good Nigerian now,pls,instead of castigating leaders,try to pray for them.rmbr,take it or leave it,there success determine ur own/our own success too.Nations are watching us pls,God Bless Nigeria.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by FmO4(m): 7:18pm On Dec 14, 2016
ehie:
My take away is that Buhari is for losers

Once ur leader is a loser,directly or indirectly u r a loser.nt an abuse u shld understand pls,be constructive. God Bless Nigeria.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by enshi(m): 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2016
Pls ooh is peace corp included in the budget
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by chernest2002: 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2016
Am sorry my people,there is no hope.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2016
boman2014:
The presentation of the N7.298 trillion 2017 budget with 20.4%
increase over the 2016 estimate was scheduled for 10am but did
not start till 2.18pm.

The 2017 budget was benchmarked at N305 against the US dollar
($1) with 2.2 million barrels.

The 2017 budget also sets a benchmark of $42.5 per barrel of oil,
as against $38 in 2016.

Below are 6 takeaways from

Buhari’s speech during the
presentation of the budget.

1. Building the nation’s economy

The president stressed the need for the country to focus on
building the economy by producing more rather than depend on
imported goods. He said for the nation to achieve self-sufficiency,
more work needs to be done.

"I hereby make a special appeal to states to make land available to
farmers," he said.

2. Increase the production of oil

Buhari noted that his administration was determined to get the
production of oil back to at least 2.2 million bpd.

3. Infrastructure

The government will focus on the development of infrastructure,
especially road and rail in 2017.

4. Power sector

He said this sector is experiencing funding issues though there
has been an intervention. He said a provision was made in the
2017 budget to offset the country's electricity bills.

5. The war against insurgency

Buhari said his administration was committed to maintaining
peace and security nationwide.

“We will continue to fortify our defence spending till all our
enemies within and without are subdued.

“The people who voted for us are waiting for us to change the
course of this nation,” he said.

6. Provisions in the budget

He disclosed that N100billion was allocated to the judiciary to
allow them do their job with independence. Defence got the
budgetary allocation or N140billion, water resources N85billion,
interior N63billion, education N58billion, UBE commission
N92billion, FCT N37billion and NDDC N61billion.

Buhari expressed optimism that the 2017 budget will make the
lives of Nigerians better than it did in 2016.

This will be the second budget the president is presenting to the
National Assembly. The first which was presented in 2015 was
trailed by controversy. Buhari refused to give assent as the
budget was said to be padded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2gfXA_J-c
are you sure you"re with your senses
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
herzern:
Sir.

I BELIEVE IN THE GCFR.

are you sure you are with your senses?
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by warrah(m): 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sometimes I just wonder the type of leaders we have in this country Nigeria.

What we seriously need in this country is an industrial revolution, a massive aggressive pursuit towards power sufficiency and not all these increasing oil production, providing more land for farming. Suffice to say, food sufficiency is a noble cause but at the same time we should be working towards being an industrial nation, this will in turn curb Nigeria of being a dumping ground for substandard products

If I may ask, whatever happened to the money allocated for social intervention in the 2016 budget, I mean the 5k, maybe it was paid secretly to the Zombies.

I wish for Buhari to succeed because if he fails, the reverberation will be felt down to our 4th generation.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2016
Bants:
Education budget is pretty low sha...and so na farming be the new yahoo yahoo

For someone that can't prove his waec cerfiticate, try and understand.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by cbright4real(f): 8:01pm On Dec 14, 2016
OK, we heard u.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Mememan: 8:09pm On Dec 14, 2016
Mikoo22:
The things am taking away are:
1. Buhari is a dullard
2. Nigeria is doomed
3. No savior in sight
4. Things are going to get harder
5. All politicians are the same
6. The Change mantra is a scam
I concur
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by greatiyk4u(m): 8:12pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sweetguy25:
7 trillion under Buhari is 3 trillion under GEJ. Naira has been devalued by over a 100 percent so Nigerians dont be fooled

We budget in Naira not in dollar oga

1 Like

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2016
There is not going to be any miracle until the parameters are put in place with all sincerity, all I see are harder times ahead with the way this government is going about things, and let's not forget the data price hike that will probably be increased on 1/1/2017 as new year gift to Nigerians grin
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by bashydemy(m): 8:31pm On Dec 14, 2016
feodan:
some one should help me tell this man should shut up

Go and send Fayose, But mind your paymasters have been barking like an unchained mad dog since 2014 and the president never even answer them..
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by kenyad: 8:34pm On Dec 14, 2016
They don't understand anything only to shout........

Sweetguy25:
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Sweetguy25: 8:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
greatiyk4u:

We budget in Naira not in dollar oga

Wetin you sabi?
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by ManirBK: 8:42pm On Dec 14, 2016
herzern:
Sir.

I BELIEVE IN THE GCFR.

True talk

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by grandstar(m): 8:47pm On Dec 14, 2016
herzern:
Sir.

I BELIEVE IN THE GCFR.

Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Kenneth Kaunda were both honest leaders who left their economies in tatters.

Buhari's exchange rate policies is the mathematical equivalent of saying 1+1=4.

Jonathan's was 1+1=2 but they stole 1 out of 2.

The economy will remain mired in recession

2 Likes

Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by grandstar(m): 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
nwakibie3:
My moment of amazement was when the President started off by apologizing to the members of National Assembly for coming late to present the budget citing that He had to travel to Banjul the Gambia to meet with the out going President Jammeh and President Elect Adama Barrow to attempt to settle their political problems. As if that wasn't enough our President went on to testify that he used our tax payers money and our official private jet go to Liberia, Niger and two other countries to Pick their Presidents for the Banjul trip and also went back to drop them off before returning to Nigeria. The question is at whose cost? We were told our President is off to Gambia by his officials, only for him to come and report that he went on playing the brother Africa with our resources. Do we still need this supposed posture and beautiful loud sounding nothing nomenclature called big brother Africa in a time of economic depression? What is the benefit of travelling from one country to another to pick Presidents of other sovereign countries? Does someone who wants cut cost of governnace function in this manner? God help our Land ooo!

If Yawa should gas in Gambia, how much do you think an airlift of Nigerians stranded there would cost?
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by JastSiryin(m): 9:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
Which takeaway?! shey na d snacks wey dem serve for there? mtcheew!...Nigga didn't say anything new.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 14, 2016
uknownforce:
check my signature for something better than mmm, its blazing hot!
I know some pple will still sign up for this
mmm Neva teach some people sense
I can't understand wen pple don't won't to work but expecting awuf
you better receive sense before you start to dey drink insecticide like Coca Cola
I don tell you now ooooo
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Johnnyessence(m): 9:50pm On Dec 14, 2016
What of agriculture budget.
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by BrainnewsNg(f): 10:48pm On Dec 14, 2016
Mikoo22:
The things am taking away are: 1. Buhari is a dullard 2. Nigeria is doomed 3. No savior in sight 4. Things are going to get harder 5. All politicians are the same 6. The Change mantra is a scam
Shut up
Kid
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by sampark201: 11:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
boman2014:
The presentation of the N7.298 trillion 2017 budget with 20.4%
increase over the 2016 estimate was scheduled for 10am but did
not start till 2.18pm.

The 2017 budget was benchmarked at N305 against the US dollar
($1) with 2.2 million barrels.

The 2017 budget also sets a benchmark of $42.5 per barrel of oil,
as against $38 in 2016.

Below are 6 takeaways from

Buhari’s speech during the
presentation of the budget.

1. Building the nation’s economy

The president stressed the need for the country to focus on
building the economy by producing more rather than depend on
imported goods. He said for the nation to achieve self-sufficiency,
more work needs to be done.

"I hereby make a special appeal to states to make land available to
farmers," he said.

2. Increase the production of oil

Buhari noted that his administration was determined to get the
production of oil back to at least 2.2 million bpd.

3. Infrastructure

The government will focus on the development of infrastructure,
especially road and rail in 2017.

4. Power sector

He said this sector is experiencing funding issues though there
has been an intervention. He said a provision was made in the
2017 budget to offset the country's electricity bills.

5. The war against insurgency

Buhari said his administration was committed to maintaining
peace and security nationwide.

“We will continue to fortify our defence spending till all our
enemies within and without are subdued.

“The people who voted for us are waiting for us to change the
course of this nation,” he said.

6. Provisions in the budget

He disclosed that N100billion was allocated to the judiciary to
allow them do their job with independence. Defence got the
budgetary allocation or N140billion, water resources N85billion,
interior N63billion, education N58billion, UBE commission
N92billion, FCT N37billion and NDDC N61billion.

Buhari expressed optimism that the 2017 budget will make the
lives of Nigerians better than it did in 2016.

This will be the second budget the president is presenting to the
National Assembly. The first which was presented in 2015 was
trailed by controversy. Buhari refused to give assent as the
budget was said to be padded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2gfXA_J-c

Charlie Buhari , We keep talking about the Light Sector.. na from Ghana i dey type to you so .. ever since i enter this town them never take light ... and i dey hear cry everything i call Nigeria Heat wan kill people for there.... every year we dey put Power sector for Budget .. God have mercy
Re: 6 Takeaways From Buhari's Speech During 2017 Budget Presentation by Davidbelove: 3:59am On Dec 15, 2016
[i][/what about budget fadding....]
Should we b xpectin dat too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Obj’s CNM Collapses Into ADC / Governor Yahaya Bello Made 4+4 Sign During Meeting With Buhari / Nigerian Secessionists Greet Trump As Help Against Muslim North- Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.