Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM (52466 Views)

Pending PH Order In MMM Share Your Experience / Help !!! My Younger Brother Invested My N1.7m In MMM / Don't Invest In MMM Again If You Love Your Self And Please Tell Your Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by room089: 7:43am On Dec 15, 2016
Many that invested are very optimistic that the scheme would bounce back come January next year.
I pray they don't end up to have only waited for Godot!

3 Likes

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by fkj950ax(m): 7:44am On Dec 15, 2016
http://www.techzim.co.zw/2016/12/mmm-nigeria-mmm-zimbabwe-crashed-similar-happening-now/

Never trusted the BitCoin rush of November. Too pushy.

The BitCoin and MMM freeze is a play that happened recently
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by angelo5uk(m): 7:44am On Dec 15, 2016
GetUmad:
Meanwhile, who else has noticed that MMM amd Buhari both have some things in common?

1) Both have Ms

2) They are both ponzi schemes

3) Their ardent supporters are so deluded. Even when everything has "crashed" or "frozen", you hear things like: it's a worthy risk or it's gonna get better soon. Meanwhile, they're suffering as a result of their action.

4) Fans of both are Suicidal. Very risky set of people to jokingly "bully".

Haha..10:41pm here.. Guy you just made my night. Just the way that MMM guy's wife passionately defended MMM life its a do or die thing is exactly the same way Buhari's supporters behave.... So much in common
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by mastermaestro(m): 7:45am On Dec 15, 2016
martineverest:
y not?when he was warning u guys,y'all called him names...na him time be dis

I don't engage in quick money schemes, dude!

1 Like

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by oweman: 7:45am On Dec 15, 2016
Nigerians will side with looters all day of their liife even if they themselves are victims .
Brats my oeu imagination after several warnings by the CBN some went ahead using thier company rent money to invest in the bogus MMM and even now some Still cling to the scammer company
Shio serve you right
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by FunkyMetahuman: 7:45am On Dec 15, 2016
Now I know nairaland is trying to do everything possible cause panic and make MMM look. Like evil

I mean seriously? You guys will go to anything length.

When did CNN edition that any ediot from any country could write on became a real source for news from CNN undecided

1 Like

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by theunmistakeabl: 7:46am On Dec 15, 2016
georgen2u:
Why are the media so bent on masturbating over this issue, and Nairaland always pushing it to front page guess what?

To cause panic and fear, this post was scraped from Niaij that onsolicited blog site scavenging for any type of traffic

If it may interest you, I just got paid yesterday Courtsey of mmm, I pity the gullible Nigerians that will chicken out, yes it's risky that's why I advise you to participate with your spare money,

However to the federal government that orchestrated this fear,
I hope your fanning yourself now like you have won a medal, you couldn't even pay the falcons, now suddenly you are interested to help over 3million Nigeria,

Shame to all those people sitting and praying for mmm to crash, let me just ask yoy
Since you have been playing it safe till now what have you achieved?
This world has principles, you may whine and puffed on why I joined this ponzi scheme as you may call it.
But I am not stupid, in this your country you call Nigeria where nothing works, mmm is the only thing you can put ur one naira just take it as sacrifice and yet it comes back to you.

Businesses are winding down, salaries are not paid, even to national level and our beloved FG s on her exalted throne to save us lol

Continue, deceiving yourself, I rather stand for something than live for nothing, no matter the media propergander and all hogwash news flying out to. Mock or discourage us, , I say we are more than able, strong United and firm, mmm can only stop if we choose to listen to them

Just understand, whether you, u stay in your house and being fed, or u sleep under bridges or lives in ASO villa, one thing must kill a man, I rather die standing up looking for a means to survive this hell hole than begging on my knewll throughout my life time.

Nonses
God bless you

2 Likes

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by dafeyankee: 7:47am On Dec 15, 2016
TheArchangel Hi.

I have not seen your picture but i know you will be a pretty lady. I have been following your write up, and you have brain.

TheArchangel.
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by karimcarim(m): 7:47am On Dec 15, 2016
I was banned some time ago for writing something about MMM. now people are saying things about it. No ban, no warning.
Nigeria sha...... sad shocked
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by theunmistakeabl: 7:49am On Dec 15, 2016
adebayo201:
Are we not the ones that are going to take care of them Now that they want to kill themselves... undecided

Truth be told, it's long overdue!
U will kill yourself first and I will take care of your generation. Npama
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by ripbubu: 7:51am On Dec 15, 2016
GetUmad:
Meanwhile, who else has noticed that MMM amd Buhari both have some things in common?

1) Both have Ms

2) They are both ponzi schemes

3) Their ardent supporters are so deluded. Even when everything has "crashed" or "frozen", you hear things like: it's a worthy risk or it's gonna get better soon. Meanwhile, they're suffering as a result of their action.

4) Fans of both are Suicidal. Very risky set of people to jokingly "bully".
lol
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by Seriousboy: 7:51am On Dec 15, 2016
America, Duh
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by martineverest(m): 7:53am On Dec 15, 2016
mastermaestro:

I don't engage in quick money schemes, dude!
are u denying any involvement in MMM after the debacle?
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by jaszplus12(m): 7:53am On Dec 15, 2016
[quote author=ThinkSmarter post=51940317]One of my friends serving asked me for 50k or 60k around Aug that he will pay me interest of up-to 10k by dec , but I denied him Bc he sounds so suspicious, but after some enquiries n interrogations, I learnt that he z into mmm, and used "biz stuff" to cover up.
After friends told me about mmm, I started googling about them, but all I can see z bad record n negative impact wherever they left, I then came to realize that some of the world most civilized n biz oriented countries like US, China, Russia hv banned them in their various countries.
I asked my self who will I confront should I be shortchanged?. where will I go to lay a complaint?. is there any customers care outlets ?
I can't take a risk that will cost my life n happiness , it is like telling me to swallow drug n travel to Malaysia that it pays, Yes it actually pays but what if... or asking me to confront a bullion van carrying currency with AK~47.
Bc there are all risks 2wards becoming a millionaire, but not all risks re worth taking.
I will only invest my money in a legitimate biz that have a well defined economic routines, where there will be an Assurance of up-to 70% of my capital should there be a loss in d long-run.
I believe World billionaires didn't make their wealth by ponzi scheme, rather by venturing into meaningful biz.
thank you for this writeup. you spoke my mind
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by Fstdammie(m): 7:54am On Dec 15, 2016
Hmmmm.
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by mastermaestro(m): 7:55am On Dec 15, 2016
martineverest:
are u denying any involvement in MMM after the debacle?

Don't engage in gambling!!!!!!!!!

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by ourkobo: 7:55am On Dec 15, 2016
Atiku2019:

MMM ?
no, he is not worthy for that seat.
last time I checked, he did nothing to improve our lives when he was the vp
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by martineverest(m): 7:57am On Dec 15, 2016
mastermaestro:

You don't engage in gambling!!!!!!!!!
goood for u
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by alezzy13: 7:57am On Dec 15, 2016
where exactly did CNN "make fun" of Nigerians?
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by lawrsmith(m): 7:58am On Dec 15, 2016
[quote author=AkinPhysicist post=51934486]The meteoric rise of one of the world's largest Ponzi schemes in Nigeria

[b]In spite of the government's warnings against it, many Nigerians continue to invest in Mavrodi Mundial Movement (MMM), a Russian company that was responsible for one of the world's largest Ponzi schemes of all time.

On 13 December, the company said it was 'freezing' all confirmed accounts. While many that are opposed to the scheme believe the suspension may be an indication of an imminent collapse, MMM Nigeria assured its members it was only freezing the system for a period of one month.
"The reason for this measure is evident. We need to prevent problems during the New Year season, and then, when everything calms down, this measure will be canceled," the administrator said in a message sent to all members.
In spite of the indication that things may not be in order with MMM, Ifeanyi Okoro and some other members remain confident in the scheme.

Confidence remains
"Even with this minor setback, I still strongly have confidence in MMM. The government and the press will amplify this but we all know that MMM is not going anywhere," Okoro said.
Joe Sanya revealed that he had already invested NGN1 million in the scheme. While expressing confidence in MMM, he warned that the only thing that could harm the system is the fear the news would instill fear in MMM's prospective members and confirmed account holders.
"The abrupt action of MMM has brought lot of fears and panic already which could even in itself crash the system. Guiders will have to come up with a plan to put the mind of Nigerians at ease. I don't know how they will do that but it has to be done. We need a constructive counter move from MMM against the enormous negativity going on via social media right now or else my one million naira and those of my friends will be gone."

Michael Mbah, an MMM Nigeria top guider, added: "This is a temporary measure to save the system and saving the system is saving our money. Our money is safe. By January, the system will be back and it will be stronger."
How did MMM successfully convince many Nigerians to look away from the facts, warnings and experiences elsewhere? The key is understanding how MMM works.

'Like a charity'
A member is required to make payments directly into the bank account of another member. When this is successfully done, the payer is qualified to receive three times what he or she paid from someone else.
The scheme was launched in November 2015 in Nigeria but it got popular in 2016 and its philosophy is to financially empower its members who are committed to helping one another. New members are often recruited into the scheme by the promise of 30% monthly return on their investment and higher returns when they offer to assist members that ask for financial assistance.
When Chibuzor Chukwuemeka, a young Nigerian professional first heard of the scheme from a friend, he said he thought it was a scam. But since he joined about four months ago, he has had no regrets.

"I will tell you that MMM has empowered me financially," he told CNN.
Isaiah Olasope, a university lecturer, said he joined the scheme with NGN50,000 (about $158) and was able to make a profit of NGN60,000 (about $190) within two months. He noted that the best approach to succeeding is via referrals and paying as soon as possible.
"I would have continued, but I stopped after I made more than what I put into it," he said.
The scheme is especially popular among new graduates and the unemployed, and even entrepreneurs like Lydia Aborishade, who said she was able to get a tangible return.
"It's like a charity organization where you provide and get help. If you help someone, you get twice what you give," she said.

The government: 'It's fraudulent'
The scheme markets itself as a charity, which is why it celebrated its first anniversary with a Humanitarian week held from Nov 13th -- 19th 2016 by donating relief materials worth NGN5 million to two internally displaced persons' camps in Nigeria's capital city of Abuja.
But the Nigerian government has been unequivocal in discouraging citizens from participating. Through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), it urged citizens not to get involved in MMM, calling it fraudulent.
"We've heard about the activities of MMM, but I want to warn you against it because they are wonder banks that are not regulated. Desist from participating, because they are fraudulent," said Hajiya Kadija Kassim, ‎head, Consumer Protection Department of the CBN.
CBN also unsuccessfully attempted to stop financial transactions related to MMM and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Nigeria (SEC) warned investors about the scheme.
Taking it further, Nigeria's parliament directed security operatives to arrest MMM promoters, but in spite of these efforts, Nigeria has yet to officially criminalize MMM.

A spokesman for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Wilson Uwujaren, said they are monitoring the scheme.
The government's position is unsurprising to MMM participants: they claim CBN wants people to keep money in the banks which will in turn be used to further enrich the country's wealthiest.
"The CBN we know has not in recent times made people-oriented policies, most of their policies favor the rich and that is what MMM has come to do -- reduce the gap between the rich and the poor," Chukwuemeka said.

Olasope added that the government is against the scheme because few people still save money in banks.
"I don't think any bank will pay you interest of up to 5% in a month when you keep money with them, but MMM pays 30%. CBN officials know that MMM will make Nigerians to stop taking money to banks so their best approach is to make it illegal," he said.

Pastors for MMM?
The MMM conversation has been extended to churches, where the official position varies from one place of worship to another.
At the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), the country's largest Pentecostal church, some pastors are allowing MMM promoters to pitch the scheme to members from the pulpit. While others are against it, many are at crossroads.
Pastor Agbede Mayowa, who heads a branch of the church in Lagos, said MMM is a real dilemma for clergymen. Instead of having a position in the scheme, he said he is promoting an open conversation on the subject among members of the congregation.
"I have been inundated with messages and calls on MMM. 'Pastor, is it a sin? Should a Christian be involved?' Personally, I don't think it's a sin even though I have my reservations. Most people however think otherwise," he said.
Ibadan-based economist, Lekan Adigun said the wide acceptance of MMM in Nigeria in spite of numerous failures of similar schemes is not in line with industry edicts; it preys on the economic recession and citizens' desire for quick wealth.
"According to the Alexa ranking, MMM's is the fifth most visited website in Nigeria, more popular than Facebook. It has also shown that Nigeria isn't really a mobile first nation and getting the support of the government is overrated," Adigun said.

"I think techies should leverage this MMM craze to promote online payment adoption. We'll be solving two problems at once. We'll ease pressure on banks and then entrench online payment if the burst is well managed," he said.
Many experts believe that by not banning MMM, the Nigerian government positions the country as a target for copycat programs.
"It is really unfortunate that even though many Nigerians have lost money to similar Ponzi schemes in the past, the Nigerian government is still reluctant to go hard on MMM.
"When MMM eventually collapses, which will definitely happen, the exploitation of the citizens will continue under different names. This is going to be very harsh on the people of a country that is currently in recession," said Adigun.
For MMM, experts believe that its next task is to ensure that its community in Nigeria continues to be its firm advocate and the pyramid scheme is sustained for as long as possible while for the Nigerian government, restoring people's confidence in the banking sector is essential in addition to finding a way to ensure that activities of Ponzi schemes are regulated and protecting the funds of participants -- even when they act against government directives.
MMM Nigeria didn't immediately return a request for comment from CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/14/africa/mmm-ponzi-scheme-nigeria/ [/quote MMM: AKA MAGA MUGU MONEY
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by VajanahDischaj(f): 7:59am On Dec 15, 2016
Buhahaha!!!some people will be forming like dons cos dem no do MMM.
those wey dey receive pay as their 30days complete, still dey receive. abeg what's today's date?

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by 40kobo77: 8:00am On Dec 15, 2016
HungerBAD:
Interesting.

The first time I heard about this MMM thing,was when some of my well to do friends from out of the blues started asking me for money from Nigeria a couple of months ago.

When more than 8 asked me for money,I now knew it was not a coincidence,and so I became curious. And I was able to get the information out from 2,who had invested Millions each that it was MMM.

The first thing I did,was look it up if it was legal in the US,since the US is the biggest market for anything in the World.

And the United States classified it as a Ponzi(419)Scheme,and it is totally outlawed by the Country.

There is a reason I go with the US classification of things,as they tend to be realistic about everything.

In the United States,there are no Landcruisers Cars,no Avensis and Peugeot products as they do not meet the United States standards for safety. But these cars are dumped in Africa.

This Country will not touch anything sub standard.

So if the MMM is banned in the US as a fraud,then it can only mean it is fraudulent.

You always sound intelligent,are you from Ekiti State?

2 Likes

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by tete7000(m): 8:02am On Dec 15, 2016
Devil has ways of finishing people off. In recession, he capitalised on people's desperation and arranged for some con men to take what is left of their savings. He would create anxiety and attempt to drive many into a state of frenzy, frustration and despair. Same scheme he has used for ages. Even christians can't see.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by room089: 8:02am On Dec 15, 2016
odinese:
Seun and all mods that keeps moving these gibberish to FP will die an untimely death.

Bros e!, e don reach that level?
The way you are pained, it's like you invested all your live savings and even borrowed so much to invest in that scheme?

1 Like

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by harmbhrosz(m): 8:06am On Dec 15, 2016
abiambo:
Oga so if avensis is not accepted in the USA then its really not b cars . Peugeot is really an okada company because Americans say so.. Smh!!! Where did we keep our brains
are you minding that ill-brained kid? He's standard of reasoning is set on the USA, even if USA says to eat shit is now healthy, he'll go ahead because it's coming from USA.

1 Like

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by Fstdammie(m): 8:06am On Dec 15, 2016
mmmmmn
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 15, 2016
shizzy7:
Hahahahahahaha..

MMM is an INvestment.
We warned them oooo
All you have to do is provide help and Get help. In 30days, you'll get 30%...
AWOOF..
E dey purge belle.
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by harmbhrosz(m): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2016
HungerBAD:
Interesting.

The first time I heard about this MMM thing,was when some of my well to do friends from out of the blues started asking me for money from Nigeria a couple of months ago.

When more than 8 asked me for money,I now knew it was not a coincidence,and so I became curious. And I was able to get the information out from 2,who had invested Millions each that it was MMM.

The first thing I did,was look it up if it was legal in the US,since the US is the biggest market for anything in the World.

And the United States classified it as a Ponzi(419)Scheme,and it is totally outlawed by the Country.

There is a reason I go with the US classification of things,as they tend to be realistic about everything.

In the United States,there are no Landcruisers Cars,no Avensis and Peugeot products as they do not meet the United States standards for safety. But these cars are dumped in Africa.

This Country will not touch anything sub standard.

So if the MMM is banned in the US as a fraud,then it can only mean it is fraudulent.

so anything coming from US is original and true no matter how it seems, once it's coming from US it's true,

Where did you put your self-worth?

Anyway.... This is how global politics works.... Anything that the government is not benefiting from(tax) they'll rather kill it than see people out of poverty. Get that into your school, the US government is after profit not humanity.

1 Like

Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by room089: 8:11am On Dec 15, 2016
tete7000:
Devil has ways of finishing people off. In recession, he capitalised on people's desperation and arranged for some con men to take what is left of their savings. He would create anxiety and attempt to drive many into a state of frenzy, frustration and despair. Same scheme he has used for ages. Even christians can't see.

My Bro your head dey there jare!
Re: CNN Makes Fun Of Nigerians For Still Believing In MMM by Makapounse(m): 8:13am On Dec 15, 2016
I'm starting to doubt the scheme now, i actually never involve but so much believed in the scheme before now, but with all posts and comments ranting the internet it means i have to thank God for not involved yet, my plan was to join by end of January 2017

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why MMM Top Guider, Chuddy Ugorji And His Wife Fled Nigeria / Stock Market Jumps To 15-year High After Emefiele’s Suspension / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.