Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! (645 Views)

How To Get The Most Out Of Your Life & Career In 2018 / Help Nairalanders! I Need Advice On My Life Career. / Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! by mbl321: 3:21am On Dec 16, 2016
Hello Nairalanders,

I really need help at this point as I am confused as to what direction to take given the wealth of knowledge and resources I have.

The Background
I have about 6years experience in Mid-Level Sales Management with 2 Multi-National companies but I desire a career change to a field that I have always been attached to from way back: Accounting.
I am in the Professional Stage of ICAN, would be rounding up in May 2017 (By His Grace).

The Problem
I have no Accounting work-related experience and I fear that if I decide to resign my current job to work with a small accounting firm for experience, I would be taking a pay cut of close to 80% (I am in Ogun State and there are not too many big audit firms around here).
Let's even say the pay cut is not an issue and I resign my job to start working with an accounting firm as a trainee, what are the chances of me getting a "normal" paying job once I'm Chartered and with a few months (maybe a year) of accounting experience as a trainee given the current situation of the country? I can afford to take a temporary pay-cut or even work for free for at most a year but after that nko?
I have also thought of getting additional international qualifications in the field of accounting such as SAP FI/CO/BusinessOne, Certified Analytics Professional Uk, Sage 50/100 Accounts and Payroll and maybe take a short online course with a Canadian or Uk University in Financial Management and Analysis. Maybe this would help me secure a great accounting job fast whether within or outside the country. I have thought of applying to Canadian companies from here under the Federal Skilled Worker program with the aforementioned qualifications once completed but would they take me given that I don't have relevant accounting experience?

But actually, I do have 6 years experience, but in Sales! Isn't there a way I can leverage that in the pursuit of my accounting aspiration? Maybe something like Sales Finance or Sales accounting? And build accounting knowledge on the sales experience and backup with relevant additional professional qualifications?

This is all getting me worked up and I think I'm resigning my job soon because I have already made a big irredeemable mess here getting confused and not being at the top of my game anymore.

I need expert advice please...from industry professionals.
Re: Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 16, 2016
It is well, I will say something once the day breaks.
Re: Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! by bigtt76(f): 7:10am On Dec 16, 2016
Dicey situation you got there. The issue is you need to choose your career path and follow it. There's no crooked thing about it. If you're sticking to Sales, then try and get yourself certified in sales/marketing. On the other hand, if you decide to move to Accounting, then in addition to the certifications, you NEED the experience.

What you need to do is, chart a plan, ensure you save enough to keep you for the one year you would be engaged as accounting trainee in addition to another 6 months searching for job. So you should have a war-chest of funds to last you 18 months.

Once you've satisfied the above, look for a trainee job and finish your certifications. Get as many relevant certification as possible related to your career path before looking at applying for the Canadian visa stuff.

During the course of your training, you can also engage in training other would-be ICAN candidates (at least you would have attained a higher level than most new candidates) as well as part-time accounting jobs for SMEs looking to file their returns.

All the best.

mbl321:
Hello Nairalanders,

I really need help at this point as I am confused as to what direction to take given the wealth of knowledge and resources I have.

The Background
I have about 6years experience in Mid-Level Sales Management with 2 Multi-National companies but I desire a career change to a field that I have always been attached to from way back: Accounting.
I am in the Professional Stage of ICAN, would be rounding up in May 2017 (By His Grace).

The Problem
I have no Accounting work-related experience and I fear that if I decide to resign my current job to work with a small accounting firm for experience, I would be taking a pay cut of close to 80% (I am in Ogun State and there are not too many big audit firms around here).
Let's even say the pay cut is not an issue and I resign my job to start working with an accounting firm as a trainee, what are the chances of me getting a "normal" paying job once I'm Chartered and with a few months (maybe a year) of accounting experience as a trainee given the current situation of the country? I can afford to take a temporary pay-cut or even work for free for at most a year but after that nko?
I have also thought of getting additional international qualifications in the field of accounting such as SAP FI/CO/BusinessOne, Certified Analytics Professional Uk, Sage 50/100 Accounts and Payroll and maybe take a short online course with a Canadian or Uk University in Financial Management and Analysis. Maybe this would help me secure a great accounting job fast whether within or outside the country. I have thought of applying to Canadian companies from here under the Federal Skilled Worker program with the aforementioned qualifications once completed but would they take me given that I don't have relevant accounting experience?

But actually, I do have 6 years experience, but in Sales! Isn't there a way I can leverage that in the pursuit of my accounting aspiration? Maybe something like Sales Finance or Sales accounting? And build accounting knowledge on the sales experience and backup with relevant additional professional qualifications?

This is all getting me worked up and I think I'm resigning my job soon because I have already made a big irredeemable mess here getting confused and not being at the top of my game anymore.

I need expert advice please...from industry professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! by wroskian(m): 3:52pm On Dec 16, 2016
Oga Jarus, please help this nairalander. Thanks.
Re: Mid-life Career Crises. Please Help! by prodam(m): 4:26am On Dec 17, 2016
Hi mbl321,

First of all, don't leave your company during your "bad days", get your focus back and earn back your reputation.

Secondly, It is right to say Accounting is your passion or perhaps where your interest lies. If this is true, then getting a good job, or being financially successful should not be your priority because you have got a paying job which is also related to your passion ( that's a great one if you ask me) Trust me many people in this part of the world are doing jobs completely different from they really wanna do just because it's settling the bills.

If your current job still relieve you of your financial obligations, remain there, if not, look at joining another firm still in sales.

Then please rise in the career ladder, you are closer to the top than the bottom. Do your accounting knowledge journey by the side. Get necessary certifications and stay abreast with the industry. This is the time to go the extra mile, time to multi-task massively.

All the knowledge and even cert become handy when you get to senior management positions.

I wish you all the best sir.

(1) (Reply)

Bucks Tip / Anybody With Few NRC Past Question And Answer. / CRISC Certification Training Course In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.