Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Which Language Is The Most Similar To English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Language Is The Most Similar To English? (371 Views)

Similar Everyday Words That Are Often Interchangeably Used Wrongly / Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless / Apart From English, Which Language Is More Useful Globally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Language Is The Most Similar To English? by AjalaJ(m): 9:13am On Dec 16, 2016
Is it Frisian?

I don't know if this is the "official" answer, but have a look at this poem:

You can read this poem, as is, without changing a thing (except your accent) in both English and Afrikaans.

And the great thing is that roughly 85-90% of the meaning of the poem will also stay the same.

Groovy no?

EDIT: It occurs to me I should give the Afrikaans translation, so you can see where the differences lie.

MY STORIES BEGIN AS LETTERS

My pen is my wonderland

Becomes water in my hand

In my pen is wonder ink

Stories sing. Stories sink.

My stories walk. My stories stop

My pen is my wonder mop

Drink letters. Drink my ink

My pen is blind. My stories shine.

So actually, only three words that have a different meaning in Afrikaans.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Which-language-is-the-most-similar-to-English

Neteller here: www..com.ng

(1) (Reply)

.NET Online Training With Real Time Projects / Literacy Doesn't Translate To Being Educated / The Fact Is That Many Will Die Today 23:59pm True\false

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.