Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,716 members, 7,837,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Do You Also Experience This? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do You Also Experience This? (12002 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by mztakayswitch3(m): 10:33am On Dec 17, 2016
Keep motion to a minimum. For example, sit in the front of a car, over the wing of a plane, on deck in the middle of a boat. Breathe fresh air if possible. For example, open a car window. Close your eyes and try to sleep. Do not read or watch a film. It is advisable not to stare at moving objects such as waves or other cars. Instead, look ahead, a little above the horizon, at a fixed place. Avoid heavy meals or alcohol before and during travelling. It may also be worth avoiding spicy or fatty food. On long journeys, it may be worth breaking the journey to have some fresh air, drink some cold water and if possible, take a short walk
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by ugwum007(m): 11:15am On Dec 17, 2016
Thank God for this thread. This particular sickness have been my problem for years But I don't feel it when I drive even for long hours. Just being a passenger for a minute, my whole body system will turn upside now.

Now, I prefer keke to taxi because of the fresh natural air. I avoid AC buses like hell especially buses with air freshener and I don't joke with the seat beside the window.

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by yahmohy27: 11:21am On Dec 17, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
Oh wow. Motion sickness affects my girl a lot, especially along that Airport-Jabi expressway with the one thousand Road bumps. I guess it's something that isn't really an issue for most people, but here are a few tips:
1.if you aren't in an air conditioned car, please sit close to the window.
2. Avoid eating heavy meals before travelling
3. Try to listen to some music(via headphones) when travelling long distances. The ear is an organ responsible for hearing and equilibrium so it will do to distract that organ.
4. Have a wonderful day nairalanders
Good one,you have said it all especially sitting close to car window helps especially in the front

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Blessograo(f): 11:31am On Dec 17, 2016
samhay:
Straight to the point.

I enjoy doing most of my things indoor or online, let me say I hate traveling a distance more than 15minutes.

Each tym I travel for longer period, I feel so weak, tired and sometimes feel like throwing up. This has nothing to do with the smell of fuel.

The last tym I went on a long distance trip was couple of weeks ago and since I knw how I always feel, I tried something different. I do keep to myself and either listen to music through my headset or surf the Internet but this last trip, I tried being active and lively. We discussed although the journey but as soon as I alighted from the car........ The usual feeling crept in.

I just heard some called it MOTION SICKNESS

Do you experience the same thing?
What do you do?

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
I get the same feeling too. My comfort zone is my room always. I think introverts gets the same feeling for me I also list appetite and I take mint to avoid throwing up. The best thing is always sit close to the window and try to get as much air as possible.
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 17, 2016
samhay:
Straight to the point.

I enjoy doing most of my things indoor or online, let me say I hate traveling a distance more than 15minutes.

Each tym I travel for longer period, I feel so weak, tired and sometimes feel like throwing up. This has nothing to do with the smell of fuel.

The last tym I went on a long distance trip was couple of weeks ago and since I knw how I always feel, I tried something different. I do keep to myself and either listen to music through my headset or surf the Internet but this last trip, I tried being active and lively. We discussed although the journey but as soon as I alighted from the car........ The usual feeling crept in.

What do you do?

Eat pineapple before any journey.

Frequently travelling helps too. If you can't find pineapple, passion fruit.

There is a med expert who once advised me to take a piriton about an hour before any journey. Its suspected to the something related to allergic reactions by the body. Am still testing that one. Sometimes it makes it worse esp when taken just before a journey, or when you have other medical issues.

Tried and tested cool
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by adajoe555: 11:38am On Dec 17, 2016
when I travel in a car about 2 hrs I always feel that way .....I also feel so uncomfortable... so what I do to remedy the situation is to buy enough sweet,chewing gum and anything eatable to keep myself busy throughout the journey
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by razor123(m): 11:44am On Dec 17, 2016
omo. I been think say na only me o. reminds me of the first time I travelled to kwara. mehn I was damn embarrassed. Was just vomiting throughout and a babe was seating next to me o. She was nice sha. Gave me a nylon

Well my solution is a new pack of pax inhaler for every journey. Once I start feeling it I just take one shot from the inhaler and whooom! the feeling is gone
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by mrsuperswag(m): 11:56am On Dec 17, 2016
I always fall asleep on a journey..even one as short as one hour...I don't know if it is normal.
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by randella: 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2016
Avomine is used to prevent motion sickness.

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Maxcollins042(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2016
[quote author=MrLouisVanGaal post=52007169]

What is your problem? A question was asked if people experienced motion sickness and people who do and do not are responding and you are sounding as if what they did is not what was requested. Na una dey use ITK fail exam. You'll overwrite thinking you are Mr Wise and fail woefully. If you don't have any meaningful contribution to the thread why not fizzle out like a bad fart.
Point of correction, bad farts don't fizzle out that easily. If you have no idea why I made that statement just keep mute and make the contribution u wanna make concerning the topic not spewing thrash all in the name of you want to make sense which you are far from.
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Successobed(m): 1:15pm On Dec 17, 2016
It affects a number of persons and i also happen to be one of them.....here in US we call it car sickness,
But i found a remedy for it and i hope it's helps others as well ...
If you're one of those who's affected by car sickness the next time you're traveling do look out the window, or stare down on your phone or anything just keep your eyes fixed straight up on the Horizon you're traveling to you will be fine.....trust me there is nothing wrong with you and all of us out there with car sickness/motion sickness you don't need to pill or drugs just keep your eyes fixed straight up on the journey!
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Yishah(f): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2016
Its happening to me right now. I'm on my way to Osun state. *barfs*
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by farydah: 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
[quote author=Corrinthians post=52004990]Mine is rather very confusing. When im the one driving, i dont, but when someone else is, less than 20km and i'd be feeling like someone is trying to rip my stomach apart! *It gets worse when there is an air freshner in the car, with the windows up*quote]

@bolded, that is sooo me. Motion sickness sucks mehn

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Ishilove: 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2016
samhay:

What do you do?
How old are you? I used to experience the same thing when I was younger but I've outgrown it.

Back then the only remedy for motion sickness was fresh air and speed. It usually crept up on me when I'm in a go-slow. The stop-move-stop-move of the traffic would nearly drive me mad. My temperature rose, my head pounded, stomach ached and severe nausea would almost overcome me. Once the vehicle began moving steadily with some speed the symptoms disappeared in minutes.

It doesn't affect me anymore.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by lady25(f): 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2016
randella:
Avomine is used to prevent motion sickness.
it makes me sleep. Motion sickness is a terrible feeling. It has forced me to be an indoor person. But to reduce it, sit close to the window,do not use the air condition and try taking something minty like pectol or freegell . It works for me
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by invincible007(m): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2016
works for everyone... just take something that contains menthol preferably TomTom
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 3:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Traveling is one of my past times, I no dey fit stay one place for too long, boredom would set in. Thankfully, I've never experienced motion sickness.
For those who experience it, it could oft be embarrassing. Here are some tips to help you adjust :
> Don't load up prior to the journey. If you must eat, make it a very light meal, not later than 30mins before the journey.
> A little tilt of the head backwards during the journey could be helpful.
> Don't eat heavy meals especially fatty meals. They're more irritable and difficult to digest.
> Medically, you can get an OTC pill, Metoclopramide (Plasil) , taken 30mins before the journey. Would help to smoothen out the symptoms

Thanks sir, I rarely eat b4 traveling cos of the feeling but I will take to all what you said.

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 3:58pm On Dec 17, 2016
Tobyshegz:
Motion sicknes ...
This sickness.. That sickness.

Oyinbo will.not kill us

Bros, Shey dis 1 sounds like Oyinbo invented sickness ni?
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:03pm On Dec 17, 2016
EMEKA1MILLION:
Then what will happen to you if you where to travel by sea in a low displacement craft?

I will take valium 5 b4 d journey grin grin grin

I don even hate adventure because of d feeling, so I don't knw wat could make me travel by sea
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2016
okowande:
I overcome the motion sickness by avoiding noise in the car. if possible use a vehicle that has AC, & try not to talk too much in the car. I also make sure i drink a lot of water while traveling. wit time u wil overcome it. I never believe i can overcome mine but try d suggestion above & you will see d magic.

A lot of water? shocked shocked shocked

U af kill me,

Don't u think alot of water on roads dat ain't smooth is like helping urself quickly?
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2016
Chapecoense:
Motion sickness while travelling is alien to me..
I only get motion sickness while playing a first person shooter video game..

Eskis mi, u must be kidding grin grin
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2016
99foxxy:
It was happening to me initially until I discovered that coke does the magic for me, when ever I'm traveling i do hold my bottle of coke to be sipping and it makes me feel great after my trip, no matter the distance.

Great u discover wat works for you.

But I don't know if I can try taking liquid while traveling, cos d liquid will b dancing for my belle
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by MicroBox: 4:26pm On Dec 17, 2016
It's due to deficiencies in your body. Eat good food and a complete diet most often.... Not when you are about to travel..
Eat more protein, More vegetables and always lot of water...
Stop starving yourself when you are hungry..
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2016
SaffronSpice:
Samhay,God bless you for this thread.
Used to think am the only one who suffers from motion sickness 'cause am yet to meet anyone who also experiences the symptoms I struggle with anytime I travel.

All it takes for my stomach to turn during a journey is a speedbump.Then, I'll feel a sensation similar to a pinprick on my right shoulder before the urge to throw up sets in.

Mine happens always whenever my destination is far,and the chewing gums I rely on have not been helpful

God bless you too, I must confess I was amazed to read from other pple that experienced it. I always thought I was d only 1 on Earth with dat feeling.

Being an Introvert, I could not tell any1, if it happens to be a journey I must go, I start regretting even b4 d journey.

There are a lot of places I wish I could explore, but each time I remember I av to sit in a car, I prefer my bed.

The most painful part is even within the city, as long as it's more Dan 10-15min.

I am in trouble.

I pray we find solution from here

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 4:29pm On Dec 17, 2016
sisipelebe:
for the first time as an adult i experienced it, that was late last yr. From enugu to Lagos, thank God I was sitting very close to the window. it was an embarrassing experience...

Smiles grin grin grin
Ur name killed me, cnt stop laffing

1 Like

Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 17, 2016
samhay:

Smiles grin grin grin
Ur name killed me, cnt stop laffing
keep laughing o, God is watching you.
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2016
Blessograo:

I get the same feeling too. My comfort zone is my room always. I think introverts gets the same feeling for me I also list appetite and I take mint to avoid throwing up. The best thing is always sit close to the window and try to get as much air as possible.

Since I av a partner who prefers her room, abeg gv me d direction make I come.

I don't av friends because of this issue.

My pastor 1s asked me who will follow me go prostrate if I wan go marry?

As I no Dey go out.

I will rent pple dat day sha, if necessary
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2016
Ishilove:

How old are you? I used to experience the same thing when I was younger but I've outgrown it.

Back then the only remedy for motion sickness was fresh air and speed. It usually crept up on me when I'm in a go-slow. The stop-move-stop-move of the traffic would nearly drive me mad. My temperature rose, my head pounded, stomach ached and severe nausea would almost overcome me. Once the vehicle began moving steadily with some speed the symptoms disappeared in minutes.

It doesn't affect me anymore.

Am still young too, maybe wen I grow older, it will change.

I af pass Mid 20s, I will soon reach 30.
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Ishilove: 5:22pm On Dec 17, 2016
samhay:

Am still young too, maybe wen I grow older, it will change.

I af pass Mid 20s, I will soon reach 30.

Our body systems are different so it might be different with you. I stopped experiencing it in my mid to late 20s
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by samhay: 5:25pm On Dec 17, 2016
MicroBox:
It's due to deficiencies in your body. Eat good food and a complete diet most often.... Not when you are about to travel..
Eat more protein, More vegetables and always lot of water...
Stop starving yourself when you are hungry..

Dis sounds strange sha

Good food?
Complete diet?

I think dis is absolutely wrong. I don't eat much, but I eat quality.

R u saying all dose dat complained abt d same lacks good food as well?
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Successobed(m): 5:45pm On Dec 17, 2016
[quote author=farydah post=52013755][/quote]that is because when you are driving your eyes are fixed straight ahead on the road ,always keep your eyes fixed straight ahead on the road that's the cure, seize from looking out the window or something else like your phone look straight ahead
Re: Do You Also Experience This? by Gemc3(f): 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2016
I experience it every time I travel far. Sometimes I don't even need to travel far. Once I start playing game on my phone or read in a moving vehicle, I become dizzy. When travelling a far distance, I take Avomine. Makes me sooo sleepy but the dizziness stops.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Gas Explosion Injures Housewife, Baby / COVID-19 Update For August 18 2021 In Nigeria / New Strike Looms In Hospitals: JOHESU Gives FG 15-Day Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.