Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes (1735 Views)

Iphone 11 Pro Max Is Over Hyped -- Check This Samsung Phone (shocking) / Who Remembers These Nigerian Music Artistes ? / 2018 Hasn't Ended Yet.. Make 5-over 10k Daily.. Legit & Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 10:45am On Dec 17, 2016
5. Lil Kesh: Since the King badoo himself, aka Olamide, only barely manages to escape making this list, his young protege, Lil Kesh, roundly, soundly and amply fills in. His exit from YBNL, under curious circumstances, seem not to have done much to shave off his popularity in the streets. The young man may need a few more years in the industry to either solidify his hyped reputation, or watch it crumble in the face of stiffer, more original, competition.

4. Kcee: Honestly, this Five Star Music singer deserves some credit for longevity, from back to his days as one half of the KC Presh duo, to his solo career, and for his consistency since then. But that's about it really, because musically speaking, the 'okpekete' and 'Limpopo' master' hasn't really made any significant leaps in his sounds, still churning out basic, template beats with bland choruses. Kcee as an artist, appears to be more concerned with appealing to the visual more than the auditory, senses. And a testament to this fact is that his Instagram account has more figures than his actual record sales.

3. Tekno: With hit songs like, 'Duro', 'Wash', 'Pana' and 'Diana', it would seem almost illogical to include Augustine Miles Okechukwu in this list. But you'd probably be forgetting that this young man is first and foremost a music producer, who has so far been luckily smart enough to realize the kind of 'commercial beats' that generally just sets off the largely one dimensional pop music loving fans, and has cleverly exploited that to his over-hyped advantage. On careful analysis, his lyrics are nonsensical; a melodious enjambment of sweet nothings to 'Monica','Folake' or 'Diana', depending, on who he faces when he gets up from bed, and his stilted and over-rehearsed dance steps are really mediocre, at best. Luckily, good beats, again, his good looks, youth appeal and a 'drive around for my Porsche o' apparently does a lot of wonders for him ... and to a teeming population of teenage nubile inamoratas. Whatever works ...

2. Davido: That Davido made this list was inevitable. In fact, he misses number one spot on account of comparatively shorter years in the industry. Omo Baba Olowo is probably the most over hyped singing sensation in Africa, thanks to a very deep war chest provided by his billionaire father. It is not a secret that the HKN gang head honcho also relies heavily on the expertise of others, (like music producer, Shizi), for quality beats, (Clarence Peters, for quality video, and ghostwriters like Runtown for "Aye' and recently General Pype (for 'Gbagbe Oshi) to drop hits. However, one cannot entirely discredit the young stunner as a musical entertainer, because he has more than a passing understanding of music bars and meters, but a first rate performer as touted? Gbagbe Oshi! The hype really only serves to make his hype man more obese.

1. Dbanj: The Eja Nla of life himself, Dbanj is nothing if not pure and proper hype, through and through. A very basic singer, which he himself admitted to in his 2008 'entertainer' track, off the eponymous album. Don Jazzy receives huge credit for bringing the 'kokomaster' to the music loving public, and to limelight over the years, on account of his performing and stage abilities, hiding his shoddy lyrics and average singing voice with banging beats and melodious ad libs. Don Jazzy again receives the blame for the eventual exposure of the minimally talented singer, after the breakup of the music powerhouse, Mo'hits, leading to a complete diminishing streak on the charts after 'Olivia Twist', arguably his biggest hit. All of his later endorsements, with Ciroc Vodka and co, and one or two international recognition are at this point purely based on hype. Solidly based on past glory. Dbanj will have to completely overhaul himself creatively, maybe even brush up on his harmonica skills again, to even begin to attempt a reclamation of his much dampened musical credibility.

Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 10:46am On Dec 17, 2016
EJa Nla, DbanJ!

Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by nepapole(m): 10:51am On Dec 17, 2016
Only few make good music...the remaining make beats.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by aprokomania(m): 11:03am On Dec 17, 2016
in depth analysis. beautiful piece. kcee should work on his game and lil kesh probably still has a lot to learn musically. Skibbi is not featured on this list.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 17, 2016
I totally agree with you..

1 Like

Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by acenazt: 11:25am On Dec 17, 2016
As I take no like kc n that kesh ehn
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by GoggleB(m): 11:27am On Dec 17, 2016
I over agree with you...

1 Like

Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Jayson1: 11:35am On Dec 17, 2016
5, 4, and 3 Very correct.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by flawlessjimmy(m): 12:08pm On Dec 17, 2016
I strongly disagree with this list..
You say Olamide barely escaped yet you left phyno, wizkid ice prince out..
You say Dbanj made the list.. I laugh..
It's alright.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Etzakoos(m): 12:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
Rubbish List Posted By F**li*h Blogger
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Omudia11: 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2016
Accurate
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Omudia11: 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2016
Wizkid is not overrated my dear.
flawlessjimmy:
I strongly disagree with this list..
You say Olamide barely escaped yet you left phyno, wizkid ice prince out..
You say Dbanj made the list.. I laugh..
It's alright.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by aprokomania(m): 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2016
ijebabe , MissyB3 , Fynestboi
do the needful
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by bligs: 5:56pm On Dec 17, 2016
Op aside 2baba tell me any other Nigerian artists that has number of awards more than Dbanj?
Is there any recognized award meant for naija artists both locally and internationally that is missing in Dbanj's archive?
Doubt if you even know the meaning of the word "overrated" or overrated in what aspects?
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by dammiecool(m): 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2016
bligs:
Op aside 2baba tell me any other Nigerian artists that has number of awards more than Dbanj?
Is there any recognized award meant for naija artists both locally and internationally that is missing in Dbanj's archive?
Doubt if you even know the meaning of the word "overrated" or overrated in what aspects?
Help me ask am o grin
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Oyenike01(f): 7:52pm On Dec 17, 2016
Seriously I didn't read tekno's part, at all, haba now, how many songs have you written, tekno should not be on that list.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Teague4league(m): 8:01pm On Dec 17, 2016
Davido is no where overrated , he worked his ass to get where he is now in the music industry. Makes me wonder if you know anything about music
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by patrikoolar: 8:28pm On Dec 17, 2016
Lol, just reading through comments. Thanks to all for stopping by. For those who agree, fine. Those who don't, fine as well. Someone said I should have included Phyno, Ice Prince, Wizkid. Hmmm

Phyno, (Azubuike Nelson) is a very talented MUSICIAN, period.

Ice Prince is a lyrically dexterous rapper who has matured over the years, and proves his mettle when occasion calls for it. As of today, Panshak Zamani is the most lyrically gifted commercial rapper around, even though sometimes his topics may be considered superficial; 'swag', 'cash', 'chics'. And no less a master wordsmith than Sarkodie, confirms this in his 'Kanta' track, as he lists few other elite African MC's beside him.

Wizkid was definitely over-hype material, until the very introspective and deeply moving 'Ojuelegba'. The rest is history. Add a Grammy nomination. Do the math.

As for Dbanj winning awards more than anyone else, other than 2baba ... #exhales

You either have NO IDEA what politics goes on behind closed award doors ... Or the meaning of 'over-hyped'

I thank you though, for your comments anyway

Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Glaxx(m): 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2016

Can you keep a secret? I hope not. Visit my profile to learn how you can register and refer 2 people in order to earn more than 5 million naira.
Re: TOP 5 Over-hyped Naija Music Artistes by Nixiepie(f): 8:33pm On Dec 17, 2016
Oyenike01:
Seriously I didn't read tekno's part, at all, haba now, how many songs have you written, tekno should not be on that list.
dnt mind Dem,tecno is even underrated sef

(1) (Reply)

Photos From Mercy Johnson's Daughter Purity's 4th Birthday Party / Hit Or Miss: Cynthia Morgan Rocks Traditional Attire. / Prophet Who Slept With A Cult Member, Says He's Being Raped By A Snake Everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.