Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? (940 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany (0 - 1): FIFA U-20 Women WC Final On 8th August 2014 / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / Kevin-Prince Boateng Revealed What Really Transpired In Ghanian Camp At WC. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 1:47pm On Nov 16, 2009
Nigerians are still ecstatic after snatching the WC ticket from Tunisia by a combination of divine providence, fortuitous incidences and bad officiating. Yet we all know the eagles didn't have a game plan nor sense of purpose going into the just ended WC qualifiers regarding their pattern [did they really have 1?] of play. So folks the question is this, should Amodu go? If yes who should replace him - a local or foreign coach? Or a consortium of coaches like Sweden who have had 2 co-head coaches in recent history? Also if yes, suggest a name[s] for the position.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 1:56pm On Nov 16, 2009
I go first. Franklin Edmundo Rijkaard ably assisted by Clemens Westerhof, what are your choices? Let the house have it.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by beefers(m): 2:26pm On Nov 16, 2009
NIGERIA SHLD APPOINT CLEMNCE WESTERHOFF AGAIN I S AGOOD COACH OR MAY BE THEY SHLD CONTINUE WITH SHUAIBU AMODU SINCE HE IS A LUCKY MAN WHEN HE TOOK US TO 2002 W/C AND WE SACKED HIM WE DIDNT REACH THE SECOND ROUND OF THE W/C BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE IN FOREIGN COACHES NO LYK BERTI VOGTS OH.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 2:43pm On Nov 16, 2009
beefers:

NIGERIA SHLD APPOINT CLEMNCE WESTERHOFF AGAIN I S AGOOD COACH OR MAY BE THEY SHLD CONTINUE WITH SHUAIBU AMODU SINCE HE IS A LUCKY MAN WHEN HE TOOK US TO 2002 W/C AND WE SACKED HIM WE DIDNT REACH THE SECOND ROUND OF THE W/C BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE IN FOREIGN COACHES NO LYK BERTI VOGTS OH.

Continue with Amodu?!  I don't think so but jus like U, I'm entitled to my opinion. Never the less, I don't think luck will win the game for us if we were to face Spain, England or even Slovakia in the first round. Rather it'll be a well oiled team playing robust African soccer. Can Amodu deliver that from a bunch of players who barely respect him? U B the judge of that!

Yeah we didn't hit the second round because NFA dilly dallied forever before bringing in Onigbinde who used the best materials he had after the likes of Olideh were unceremoniously axed from the team.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by 2tait: 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2009
I can do the job well! There is no need to look for another person
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by popsonbabs(m): 4:31pm On Nov 16, 2009
Amodu ke, God forbid. NFF should look 4 better coach with a good contract term not like Berti Volt term
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Damoche10: 4:53pm On Nov 16, 2009
Samson Siasia is the best man for the job. He has the experience,pedigree and comand respect in the game of football. His credentials best fits the coach taking us to the world cup! No Future Ambition (NFA), rule out the possibility of a foreign coach pls.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by omar22(m): 4:56pm On Nov 16, 2009
Samson Siasia is the best man for the job. He has the experience,pedigree and comand respect in the game of football. His credentials best fits the coach taking us to the world cup! No Future Ambition (NFA), rule out the possibility of a foreign coach pls.

Some players wont respect him
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Damoche10: 5:02pm On Nov 16, 2009
U will be suprised that they will. When you have to fight for your shirt and your participation is not automatic . Siasia will bring out the best in these guys. I don't see any other indigenous coach taking the super eagles to the world cup like this man. He takes up national assignment as if his life depends on it and remember this is what we need in this country. Let us rally round him cos he is the best man for the job and I know that you'll all agree with me that he is the best man for the job. I am praying for you to be the man SIASIA!
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by naso2(m): 5:46pm On Nov 16, 2009
I am one of Amodu's strongest critics but sincerely while I know that technically Amodu fall short, My human side now has some symparthy for him now.

Well make we still dey watch very soon Fifa go do draws , when we see tough group nobody go tell us to go find better coach
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2009
Damoche10:

Eygpt 2009 was a disaster for him personally and has dented his CV seeing a coach is only as good as his last match.

omar22:

Some players wont respect him

Tend to agree albiet slightly.

na_so:

I am one of Amodu's strongest critics but sincerely while I know that technically Amodu fall short, My human side now has some symparthy for him now.

Well make we still dey watch very soon Fifa go do draws , when we see tough group nobody go tell us to go find better coach

Get back to U on this tommorow as I dey go house.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Damoche10: 8:45am On Nov 17, 2009
ochukoccna ,
Remember that a coach was sacked before he took over that particular team berely a month to the commencement of that tournament. He had just a little time to know the boys and prepare for the mundial. You can not judge him from just that. Those boys he inherited from the sacked coach, so what are we saying. If he had not taken that mantle, I am sure you will be one of those that will castigate him. Let us be realistic in our reasoning and I still maintain that we do not need a foreign coach and that SIASIA is the best man for this job.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 11:22am On Nov 17, 2009
na_so:

Any good businessman knows one thing, NEVER allow emotions becloud your reasoning. If we are to be objective regarding Amoudu, it clear he's technically deficient. This much Mozambique's coach stated in an interview while Tunisia's coach indirectly said so in his interviews. Face it, how much slack can Amodu cut when push comes to shove? When he sees the gurus of coaching @ the WC? Will he not go across to collect autograph when he sees his fathers like Lippi, Capello, Hiddink etal on the bench?  grin  grin  grin Abi U think say na only players dey allow stars dribble dem so they fit look their number?  grin

Damoche10:

ochukoccna ,
Remember that a coach was sacked before he took over that particular team berely a month to the commencement of that tournament. He had just a little time to know the boys and prepare for the mundial. You can not judge him from just that. Those boys he inherited from the sacked coach, so what are we saying. If he had not taken that mantle, I am sure you will be one of those that will castigate him. Let us be realistic in our reasoning and I still maintain that we do not need a foreign coach and that SIASIA is the best man for this job.

@ Damo
I feel U men seeing I too am a Siasia fan but let's be realistic. Bode Oguntuyi [Sports Express on cool FM] was practically begging Sia 1 not to take up the U20 job saying the failure odds were too high, that if he fails his enemies in the glass house would use that against him. Personally I felt otherwise but events have proved both me and Sia 1 that his taking up the job was a poisoned chalice. That said, will Sia 1 be able to command total respect from all the current crop of players? His failure in Eygpt was attributed in part to the fallout of indiscipline amongst some players. So beware of your wish seeing it might come back to haunt you.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Kx: 11:26am On Nov 17, 2009
Breaking news.
The presidency has given indications dat a foreign coach should tinker the eagles
to d world cup.Names being dropped are Guus Hidink,Jo Bonfere and one other.

Source.Top FM 90.9fm sports 11.00am today.anchored by Godwin Enahena
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by azeeza(f): 12:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
i will go for jo bonfre cos he was once a coach in 9ja,he understand our game and only if he will stay in 9ja
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 17, 2009
Amodu should surely be given the chance to coach the team at both the world cup and ACN in angola.
He has been ridicled, insulted and abused in his journey to qualification.
Do not forget he did this without losing a single match.
I am sure if his skin colour was white, with a pointed nose we wont be having this conversation and talks will be of friendly matches and not if he will remain in the job.
I he were to be fired Nigeria will be the only team to have fired someone who got them to the world cup.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Damoche10: 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2009
Why Amodu? If Amodu is what we are thinlking of as a world class coach then the FA should have a rethink. We need somebody that can command respect. Forget wether the boys are richer than the coach or not, in europe most of those players are richer than their coaches and yet they are at the mercy of their coaches. We need a world class coach like crazy. The time is now,we have to start building up for the world cup. We need to use the forth coming nations cup as a pace setter. We need to do it right this time around and we need to prepare early and that time is NOW!
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 17, 2009
It seems some peoples memory begin from 2009. We have had this discussion for several years.
It starts by debating whether we need a foreign coach or not.
Then it moves to which coach we should appoint, then to who pays his wages and how much
Then when to appoint whether before or after the ACF in Angola.
Then people start crying blue murder as why should he be paid astronomical wages say $100,000 a week/month and how Amodu only collected N100,000 a month
All these happens as other nations are putting finishing touches to their preparations. Before you know, alas the world cup is at hand and we only just appointed a coach who hardly knows the players. He goes on to make surprise and outrageous selections in the team and plays a system the players are not used to.
Dear oh dear oh dear. And we are out at the first hurdle; first round; no wins, no draws all losses.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 6:20pm On Nov 17, 2009
osaass:

Amodu should surely be given the chance to coach the team at both the world cup and ACN in angola.
He has been ridicled, insulted and abused in his journey to qualification.
Do not forget he did this without losing a single match.
I am sure if his skin colour was white, with a pointed nose we wont be having this conversation and talks will be of friendly matches and not if he will remain in the job.
I he were to be fired Nigeria will be the only team to have fired someone who got them to the world cup.

Seper8 sentiment from reason. Amodu that Martins and Mikel diss with their actions. Dont U recall Martins threw a strop and refused to enter the team but only became calm when Sani Lulu threatened he would never play for 9ja again. Amodu has shown time and time again that he lacks the balls to manage to egos of his players. Also what manner of coach would allow a national team ex player/task force member [Okocha] and a football association member [Ogunjobi] sit on the technical bench all in the name of helping the team qualify when they are not coaches? Is that not a pointer to lack of control and where the true authority over the players lie?
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by ochukoccna: 6:28pm On Nov 17, 2009
osaass:

It seems some peoples memory begin from 2009. We have had this discussion for several years.
It starts by debating whether we need a foreign coach or not.
Then it moves to which coach we should appoint, then to who pays his wages and how much
Then when to appoint whether before or after the ACF in Angola.
Then people start crying blue murder as why should he be paid astronomical wages say $100,000 a week/month and how Amodu only collected N100,000 a month
All these happens as other nations are putting finishing touches to their preparations. Before you know, alas the world cup is at hand and we only just appointed a coach who hardly knows the players. He goes on to make surprise and outrageous selections in the team and plays a system the players are not used to.
Dear oh dear oh dear. And we are out at the first hurdle; first round; no wins, no draws all losses.

Hello, please use civil language. We are not talking about militants here. Rather read the question and give your own answer for or against intelligently. Yes Amodu won the ticket for us no doubt. Yet a student can cram his way to a certificate but give him the same exam 2 months later and watch him mope @ the ceiling. On the strength of the WC qualifying campaign, would you want 9ja to hire a new coach or stick with the Amo-Amo ticket [Amodu-Amokachi]?
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by Damoche10: 8:40am On Nov 18, 2009
U are now begining to see where I am coming from,
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by pie1ect(m): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2009
This debate is infuriating at best. Worse still, we had this same lame debate at the end of the 2002 WC qualifying series. Amodu was too inept; Amodu was too laid back; Amodu was too arrogant; Amodu could not control the likes of Oliseh (who ironically left in protest after NFA sacked Amodu).
After the Nations' cup, we kicked the man to the kerb and hired the "renowned" FIFA technical/blah blah instructor, Chief Onigbinde to take us to the Japan/South Korea to win the world cup. I clearly remember us losing two matches and going home with 1 point (-2 GD) from 3 matches. Of course, we performed better than China (0 pts, -9 GD), Saudi Arabia, Slovenia and Tunisia. Heck, we even did better than France (-3 GD).  In that tournament, all three countries that won medals (Gold, silver and bronze) had as their manager, a citizen. Even South Africa managed to score 5 goals and finished with 4 points, all this with a "local" coach. Maybe ours was more local than their own.

There is a reason why Amodu has been successful with this  team (THRICE - he was part of the 97/98' coaching setup) where the likes of Bora, Bonfrere, Robson Libregts and more recently, Vogts have all tried and failed. Amodu understands these players better than any foreign coach ever will. He has the respect of these boys, believe it or not. He may not look the part on match day, but you cannot argue with his accomplishments in the national team. With all due respect to Siasia and Obuh, the senior team is a completely different animal to youth teams. It is much easier to bully players into doing what you demand of them at youth level. In the senior team, you have established footballers who are ready to call your bluff at the slightest provocation. For Amodu to have tamed this set of players and gotten them to rather enjoy playing for the national team is an achievement in and of itself and must not be discounted.
Some folks keep attibuting our qualification to the WC to factors like . . . luck, divine intervention, favor and whatever nonsense. Where were these ingredients when the Super Eagles were flailing around during the 06' qualification series?  We should stop this madness already.

What are we expecting to achieve anyway? Win the world cup? When other nations will have gone back to the planning board, drawn up a set of achievable targets and started designing their plans for achieving said targets, we are here bickering over the suitability of the one man who has done more than any one of us to ensure that Nigeria will be at SA 2010.

Our problem is not Amodu. The problem is lack of planning. England appointed Capello over a year ago with the express aim of taking them to South Africa. All other countries did similar planning years ago.
If Amodu can take a NIgerian team and go defeat France in Saint-Étienne, then I really wonder what all this fear about our performance in the World cup is emanating from. Perhaps, some of us are just too tied up in the colonialist mindset to realise that we've actually got a good thing going. When the profile of participants at SA 2010 is published, it will mention that Nigeria is one a handful of countries to qualify for the world cup without a single defeat and that is thanks to one man - Amodu. The same man who the stupid waterheads at the NFF cannot wait to usher out the back door.

Amodu should not be "given the chance" to do anything. HE HAS EARNED IT (TWICE). LET HIM TAKE THE TEAM TO THE WORLD CUP.

I rest my case.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by pie1ect(m): 10:52am On Nov 18, 2009
na_so:

I am one of Amodu's strongest critics but sincerely while I know that[b] technically Amodu fall short[/b], My human side now has some symparthy for him now.

Well make we still dey watch very soon Fifa go do draws , [b]when we see tough group nobody go tell us to go find better coach[/b]

When you say "Amodu fall short", what (or who) does he fall short of?
Is it the brilliant coaches that he lost to during the qualifiers? Or maybe it's Trappatoni of Ireland (who he drew with) or maybe we are talking about France's Raymond Domenech (who he beat in his own home). Or could you be reffering to the lofty standards set by the elite Bryan Robson, Thijs Libregts, Berti Vogts and Bora Milutinovic?

What exactly is your definition of "falling short"?

Oh. . . I get it. Amodu's not white. Well, he definitely falls short of the color standard. The "better coach" you refer to would be . . . who exactly?

Some of us just dont get it. No foreign coach has ever won the world cup for a reason. And we are not going to be the exception to that rule, no matter how far we are prepared to delude ourselves.
I am not a fan of Amodu but you have to give the man his dues. He's the best coach Nigeria has had in years and the statistics will back me up. Or you could just remain blinded by color and not let the facts get in the way.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by kcjazz(m): 6:12am On Nov 19, 2009
Amodu Shuaibu + improved technical crew.

We should learn from history, this happened in 98,2002, we qualify, we change coaches and we perform disastrously.

Amodu should reap the fruits of his labor, we should add someone to the technical crew (Nooji, Kalika, Oliseh, Okocha). He (Amodu) comes across as a person who works alone and that attitude must change.
Meanwhile can we pay a Hiddink? With planning he couldn't qualify Russia.
That's a waste of money for a country that needs better roads, hospitals etc.

ALL WE NEED IS PLANNING

We must start thinking of life after 2010, hire a coach by August 2010 Siasia/Kalika, Oliseh/Amunike gve them a 5 year plan to raise a team for 2014 WC.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by naso2(m): 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2009
kcjazz:

[b]We should learn from history, this happened in 98,2002, we qualify, we change coaches and we perform disastrously.[/b]Amodu should reap the

I dont seem to agree with you here. 1998 was not a disastrous outing. We won 2 matches and lost 2, same as what happened in 1994. A poor technical team would not have seen us past 1st round.

Secondly the 2002 team did not fail because Amodu was removed but because of the very relevant members of the team that were forcefully dropped without ready replacements (Oliseh,finidi,Babangida et al).
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by AndreUweh(m): 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2009
It will be unfair to discharge A. Shoibu from the Nat. team. This chap has done well. Even if you bring J. Mourinho, Nigeria will not win the world cup in South Africa. Probably we will win the 2018 version in 'England'. I have my reasons.
Re: Who Should Coach 9ja @ 2010 Wc? by kcjazz(m): 9:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
na_so:

I dont seem to agree with you here. 1998 was not a disastrous outing. We won 2 matches and lost 2, same as what happened in 1994. A poor technical team would not have seen us past 1st round.

Secondly the 2002 team did not fail because Amodu was removed but because of the very relevant members of the team that were forcefully dropped without ready replacements (Oliseh,finidi,Babangida et al).

In 1998 we hired Bora after we qualified with one game in hand, we had the opportunity to blend the best of 94 class and the Olympic 96 class, at least everyone agrees that our best outing is 94 WC, we lost to Denmark 4-1 in a match we could have won but the coach could not handle the disunity in the camp. Beating clueless Spain and losing to Denmark is disastrous at least the coach was fired after the WC. The same Troussier took a less fanciful Japan to round of 16 @ 2002 WC.

In 2002, the relevant members you said were dropped, were they not dropped by a coach? Amodu would have taken them to the WC

Amodu should be given an ANC mandate. My feeling is even if he wins it, he still won't be supported. We need to get over the fact that we can't dominate soccer in Africa without adequate and systematic planning.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Community In South Africa Pleads For Kaita / Vincent Enyeama Pease Fire Your Agent: / Retirement Announcement 2010/2011 Club/national Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.