Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

The Issue Of Over Aged Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Issue Of Over Aged Players (598 Views)

Nigeria Is Using Over Aged Players For The Under-17 World Cup / Kenya Accused Nigeria Of Over Aged Players / Over Aged Players In Under 20 Female Nigeria Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Issue Of Over Aged Players by 2tait: 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2009
JOSEPH BLATTER (FIFA PRESIDENT) had this to say on Sunday 15/11/2009

On Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) tests to determine if players comply with the age limit.
For years now, FIFA has been combating this problem together with the national associations and confederations. After the research and tests carried out thanks to MRI techniques, we’ve reached the conclusion that the players who’ve taken part in this competition are all in their 18th year at most, as the regulations stipulate. For us, the subject is therefore closed. There’s no more need for me to discuss this problem unless someone has proof that requires it to be looked at again.

source: www.fifa.com

BEFORE Blatter spoke, I said:

I feel sad about all these so much talk about our super eagles being overaged.

FIFA has set a standard applicable to all the players for u-17 world cup. The standard is called MRI test or scan. The rule clearly states that any one who passes that MRI scan is qualified. The Golden Eaglets playing at the moment have passed the tests. Those among them who failed were booted out of the team.

We should not set a different rule for Nigerian players. Otherwise there would be no standard. A standard is applicable to all. We should not use MRI scan for other countries of the world, and when it comes to Nigeria's case, our people are doing analysis, bringing photographs that we can't ascertain when they were taken, and asking one's father and descendants to come and swear an oath to confirm the age of the players. It doesn't work that way. The players passed the test. They are qualified. PERIOD. Nigerians have suffered a lot. They can't just believe that something good will come out of Naija.

NOW, I have this to say:

CASE CLOSED!

(1) (Reply)

Can Liverpool Qualify? / Re: 2010 Nations Cup Nigeria Draw Egypt: / Where Are They Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.