Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,229 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues (10968 Views)

Naira Extends Gains As Dollar Glut Hits Market / Naira Tumbles To 503 On Parallel Market / Naira Falls As Dollar Scarcity Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by ephi123(f): 8:41am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
you forgot to educate us about how the policies made your explanation happen . . .

It is nobody's job to educate you, if you can't logically see the link between his failed policies and the corresponding impact on forex, then please go back to school and stop defending rubbish online.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by passionate88: 8:45am On Dec 20, 2016
Graphy:
And some stupid pple will still be supporting him...dats hw an aboki dat came to amend my shoe refused to collect d 20niara i wanted to pay him and said we shuld give him food instead dat he is very hungry....cus we were actually cooking for a wedding......and pple still cme here to bak him up instead of admiting that they ve made a wrong decision....oloshi them
did you give him?

1 Like

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 8:50am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
$ shortage made the govt adopt 2 exchange rates in the first place.
which was the wrong move that got us into the mess we're in now.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Nobody: 9:07am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
Let's not edify stupidity here. The topic clearly link the fall of Naira to continual Dollar shortage here. Is Buhari your Dollar machine?

That is rubbish. Till government stop issuing dollar to black market completely and start selling through our banking institutions, it will continue crumbling. All that na grammar
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by MrSly(m): 9:23am On Dec 20, 2016
fallout87:
When Buhari got the position, Naira was around 220 to every dollar. Now it is almost 500.

Then he will tell you this is someone else fault and finish people will actually listen.
I wanted to tell you to correct finished to foolish but you are right anyway. A finished person is worse than a foolish person.
They are really finished!

1 Like

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 9:23am On Dec 20, 2016
ephi123:

It is nobody's job to educate you, if you can't logically see the link between his failed policies and the corresponding impact on forex, then please go back to school and stop defending rubbish online.
see them.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by MrSly(m): 9:26am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
Let's not edify stupidity here. The topic clearly link the fall of Naira to continual Dollar shortage here. Is Buhari your Dollar machine?
Blind zombie! Whose forex policies resulted in the current dollar shortage?

5 Likes

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 9:27am On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
which was the wrong move that got us into the mess we're in now.
And what's the right move according to you?
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by ephi123(f): 9:36am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
see them.

See yourself. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 9:56am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
And what's the right move according to you?
by floating the dollar completely as was been done by okonjo iweala.right now the official price of dollar is #305 while the parallel market price is #490,if the naira is to find it's true value, then it should be between the two figures above. if the naira is freely highest i believe it would settle is around #400.this would mean cheaper goods and more money for the government.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Jacko1(m): 10:21am On Dec 20, 2016
Buhari please die
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 10:26am On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
by floating the dollar completely as was been done by okonjo iweala. right now the official price of dollar is #305 while the parallel market price is #490,if the naira is to find it's true value, then it should be between the two figures above. if the naira is freely highest i believe it would settle is around #400.this would mean cheaper goods and more money for the government.
Are you aware of the volume of dollar needed to float the Dollar (A.K.A. Defend the Naira)?
We spent $217Bn in 12 years on that. In Iweala's second stint as minister, it averaged $20Bn/Year. Where will Buhari or Adeosun get that from?
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 10:32am On Dec 20, 2016
MrSly:

Blind zombie! Whose forex policies resulted in the current dollar shortage?
Does policy produce dollar? If yes, please explain without resorting to childish insults.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 10:57am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
Are you aware of the volume of dollar needed to float the Dollar (A.K.A. Defend the Naira)?
We spent $217Bn in 12 years on that. In Iweala's second stint as minister, it averaged $20Bn/Year. Where will Buhari or Adeosun get that from?
defending the defending the dollar and floating it at the same time is super stupid, like i said before, if floated the dollar won't sell more than #400 while Nigerians are already buying it at #490.you don't need money to manage the foreign exchange, you need policies and we both know that the current regime lack policies.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by TheVictorious(m): 10:57am On Dec 20, 2016
Uzor644:
When u make a foolish decision u will get a foolish result. This is the kind of result u get when u replace a PhD holder with a man whose highest level of education is a controversial ssce.we should stop complaining and enjoy the change we voted for

"you should even say without a controversial ssce". The guy didn't have any SSCE he claimed to have, just fooled gullible Nigerians into power. I could remember somebody angrily and senselessly arguing with me in 2014, that what we need is not results, big grammar, election debates or nice interviews, all we need is change.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by TheVictorious(m): 11:02am On Dec 20, 2016
passionate88:
did you give him?

Nna, you self won follow collect your own chop?
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 11:14am On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
defending the defending the dollar and floating it at the same time is super stupid, like i said before, if floated the dollar won't sell more than #400 while Nigerians are already buying it at #490.you don't need money to manage the foreign exchange, you need policies and we both know that the current regime lack policies.
If money isn't needed to maintain forex rate then why did Iweala allow $20Bn/year to be "wasted" or "spended"?
You need to stop the blind defence of what you obviously don't understand.
Govt spent $217b between 2002 and 2014 [12 years period] in defending the Naira . . . Google it up as I am not chanced to dig it out right now.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by tiwiex(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2016
fallout87:
When Buhari got the position, Naira was around 220 to every dollar. Now it is almost 500.

Then he will tell you this is someone else fault and finish people will actually listen.

That lie has run its course. If anyone still buys it, OK oh.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by tiwiex(m): 11:36am On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:

So don't blame GEJ. He was not a supplier of dollars too. From ur argument, no one is responsible.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Excellent7(m): 11:57am On Dec 20, 2016
Pavore9:

So if l send down $100 na almost N50k! Nigerians at home should seek out what should be earning them foreign currencies.

Sir, It is not as you presume!
From my findings, If you send $100 to Nigeria at the moment through Western Union for instance the recipient is getting around 31,000 NGN to 37,500 NGN (that is around $1 to 310 rate).
If you subtract the cost of the transfer the actual pay out can be around 28,000 to 35,000 NGN (around $1 to 280 to 350 NGN effective rate).
Hence your friend, brother, sister, uncle etc. in the diaspora is unlikely to send you any funds this season as one looses money by sending funds through these government approved channels to Nigeria.
In this scenario, the circa. $20 USD yearly inbound Forex to Nigeria is threatened adding to an already bad Forex position.
Little wonder the FOREX rates are skewed against the Naira at this period when the reverse should have been the case with FOREX from "diasporans" visiting the homeland.
Concerning the rates, you do not have to take my word for it. Check by yourself on the links below:
http://onlinefx.westernunion.com/Currency-calculator
https://www.moneygram.com/wps/portal/moneygramonline/home/estimator?LC=en-GB
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2016
tiwiex:

So don't blame GEJ. He was not a supplier of dollars too. From ur argument, no one is responsible.
No, he was a waster of it. And I don't blame him for it. Are you satisfied?
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by abbeyty(m): 12:15pm On Dec 20, 2016
No comment until N1=$1
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by abiolafisher(m): 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2016
fallout87:

it is people like you that dont understand economics, the naira was going to fall Buhari or no Buhari, global oil prices are down, our import index far outway our export amongst other things and you are complaining. U better wake up from your slumber and shrug off your ignorance.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by fallout87: 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2016
MrSly:

I wanted to tell you to correct finished to foolish but you are right anyway. A finished person is worse than a foolish person.
They are really finished!

If I said foolish, they would ban me. So hence the finished lol.

That is what they do on nairaland, then they wonder why the users numbers are free falling. If you dare be critical of Buhari, zombies or speak ill of northerns they silence you.

Well done

1 Like

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by fallout87: 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2016
abiolafisher:

it is people like you that dont understand economics, the naira was going to fall Buhari or no Buhari, global oil prices are down, our import index far outway our export amongst other things and you are complaining. U better wake up from your slumber and shrug off your ignorance.

Be quiet, people that are using their brain are speaking.

Do you know the m difference from depreciation of 10-30 naira and more than DOUBLE that amount of 270?

More and more excuses are being made. His fiscal policy is the direct reason. It is what caused a shortage. He did it to "fight corruption", but all he did was form a new method of corruption in forex. When Sanusi is warning you that emirs and business men can make millions doing naira with one phone call and you ignore him, why blame your predecessor

It isn't him, it is you who are the fool.

He caused the dollar shortage hoping to catch thieves holding dollars in their home. Now his stupid policy has backfired and is out of control.

This is why you don't make an uneducated man your leader.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 1:04pm On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
If money isn't needed to maintain forex rate then why did Iweala allow $20Bn/year to be "wasted" or "spended"?
You need to stop the blind defence of what you obviously don't understand.
Govt spent $217b between 2002 and 2014 [12 years period] in defending the Naira . . . Google it up as I am not chanced to dig it out right now.
iweala was defending it because of the approaching election and the fall in the price of petroleum was not thought of then to be persistent, in order words,it was a political decision not economic. i have laid out my points so if you still think that the dual exchange rate we have now is the best then good day to you.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
iweala was defending it because of the approaching election and the fall in the price of petroleum was not thought of then to be persistent, in order words,it was a political decision not economic. i have laid out my points so if you still think that the dual exchange rate we have now is the best then good day to you.
Stop the barefaced lie. Iweala did it under OBJ and GEJ. I bet you don't know is a standard practice that's why you told the lie you just told . . .
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 1:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
Excellent7:

From my findings, If you send $100 to Nigeria at the moment through Western Union for instance the recipient is getting around 31,000 NGN to 37,500 NGN (that is around $1 to 310 rate).
If you subtract the cost of the transfer the actual pay out can be around 28,000 to 35,000 NGN (around $1 to 280 to 350 NGN effective rate).
Hence your friend, brother, sister, uncle etc. in the diaspora is unlikely to send you any funds this season as one looses money by sending funds through these government approved channels to Nigeria.
In this scenario, the circa. $20 USD yearly inbound Forex to Nigeria is threatened adding to an already bad Forex position.
Little wonder the FOREX rates are skewed against the Naira at this period when the reverse should have been the case with FOREX from "diasporans" visiting the homeland.
Concerning the rates, you do not have to take my word for it. Check by yourself on the links below:
diaspora now resorts to unusual means to send money home while federal politicians make huge profits buying at official rate to sell at the parallel market.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Pavore9: 1:13pm On Dec 20, 2016
Excellent7:

I do not need to send through Western Union/Moneygram as there are many Nigerians where l am who needs the local currency in exchange of their naira back home.

Let me explain further, am in Nairobi where 10,250 shillings can buy me $100 at the Forex shop. There are many Nigerians here who are willing to pay N48,000 (or whatever is the prevailing black market rate) in exchange of the 10,250 shillings.

I send through bank when there is a need for physical dollar in Nigeria, l send it to my brother's domiciliary account and l only pay a charge of $18 and l make sure what am sending is in thousands.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by greenermodels: 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
Sibrah:
Stop the barefaced lie. Iweala did it under OBJ and GEJ. I bet you don't know is a standard practice that's why you told the lie you just told . . .
you're deviating from the topic to start tackling iweala,it's standard practice to defend the national currency in order for it to trade within a fixed band.the current management approach is plain juju economics.
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by ideology(m): 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2016
no GEJ is DOLLAR SHORTAGE

or you have not heard of CBN's trial and error policies on Dollar transaction
Sibrah:
Re: Naira Tumbles To 490 As Dollar Shortage Continues by Sibrah: 2:33pm On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
you're deviating from the topic to start tackling iweala, it's standard practice to defend the national currency in order for it to trade within a fixed band .the current management approach is plain juju economics.
It isn't standard practice for oil to sell at $100pb and for excess of $20bn+ to be available every year. Stop dishing out irrelevant facts. Once the shortage of $$ exist, supply exceeds demand and there is bound to be increase of price.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Faster Way Of Getting Paid With Payoneer In Nigeria / Get Your Business Plan On Small Scale Soyabean Processing Factory And Business / Nigeria Is Trying To Develop Without Industrializing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.