Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,067 members, 7,953,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:09 PM

THE DEBT (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE DEBT (a Short Story) (1471 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / The Beauty Queen (a Short Story) / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 20, 2016
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

All rights reserved. This story or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the writer except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

THE DEBT

Chapter 1

Strange eerie sounds could be heard in the umber-brown ancient forest of ITEKPELE, which reeked of age and Its woody incense from centuries of snapped branches crashing to the forest’s floor and rotting silently, the composting organic smell rosed up in waves like a miasma. Deep into the tangled heart of this primeval forest, a large oak tree stood massively with its branches stretching up far into the sky practically skimming the stars, its huge roots spread-eagled the ground, the sounds were coming from this tree, it was a shrill resounding voice saying IT IS TIME.................

Apombe shot out of bed , gasping for breath, her head was thudding, heart racing like she just finished a maranthon race ,she was drenched in sweat even with the fan operating at full throttle ,she wiped the persiparation dripping from her forehead, it was just a nightmare ,the same terrifying nightmare she had been having since she clocked 18, three months ago, she glanced at the clock, it was barely few minutes past 3 am, she tried going back to bed but it was a futile attempt, she stared at the ceiling ,the nightmare was still vivid in her mind, it was always the shadow pulling her towards a big tree while her mother wailed , a chrous could be heard in the background, she couldn't recall the lyrics just the tune. She rolled on the bed , she had to be fully rested for the exam she will be having 5 hours from now, it was one of her toughest course, failure is not in her dictionary.After 30 minutes , she realized she will not be getting any more sleep, she got out of bed, headed to the bathroom for an early shower, after her bath, she revised and got ready for the 8am exam.

Femi glanced at his wall clock, it was 7:30, he dressed hurriedly , he didn't want to miss Apombe on her way to the exam hall, he could recall the first day he met her just like it was yesterday, she was a radiating beauty with deep chocolate brown skin, raven black hair and soulful eyes he could stare into all his life , she was of average height and had a figure that could make emperors lose their empires and wealth just to call her theirs. Indeed she was a vision of ethereal beauty, he had been trying to tell her of his affection, but he couldn't summon the guts, he always got tonguetied at the sight of her, he thought to himself , she was not his ilk, he was a nerd, and she deserved the likes of kings not someone like him.

To be continued..............
Misty
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 12:00am On Dec 22, 2016
Chapter 2

Apombe stood outside the exam hall , gisting with her two closest friends Shope and Lade, about how easy the exam was after expecting the worst... Apombe's phone rang, she checked the caller id ,it was her mother, she moved away from the girls and picked the call, the excited voice of her mother floated over the air line APON BI EPO RE she said, "how are you my jewel and how is studies", Apombe rolled her eyes, her mother was still the only one who called her by her full name, since her father died ,a decade ago , she couldn't recall much about him though , he was distant and always on one business trip or the other while she was young , she was cut out of her reverie by her mother's cajoling , she wanted to tell her mother about the nightmare she had been having but decided against it, thinking it was a trivial thing to disturb her mum over, Apon bi epo re "always remember the daughter of whom you are" was her mother's last statement before she ended the call....
Apombe was about returning to her friends when she caught the stare of Femi, she smiled at him but he turned quickly and walked away , Femi's odd behavior had her lost in thought, "Apombe", Lade said snapping her fingers, daydreaming about prince charming, she asked , Apombe looked at her friend Lade, an ebony goddess with sparkling white teeth that Oral B makers would die to use for advert, she was a funny individual who made all around her laugh despite of their woes,.... "Not at all" Apombe replied , I caught femi staring at me, I smiled at him and he hurried off like he was being chased , Lade laughed out loud , "ah Femi the nerd" , he's a weird guy , no need to ponder over his oddity , she said.
If you two are done discussing, please let's go and eat, I don't about you guys but exams makes me hungry and tired, she yawned, Apombe smiled at her second friend Shope, the eldest amongst them which made her the mother figure, she was a slender lady with hips that'll make Kim k jealous ,"yes mum" Lade responded, let's go and eat.......

Femi chided himself for his shyness , he couldn't even summon the courage to say "hi" to her, he was still lost in his thoughts when he brushed shoulders with an old man , he turned to apologize but the old man grabbed him instead , whispered in his ear saying IT IS TIME, YOU MUST SAVE HER , he left Femi and continued on his way like nothing transpired between both of them. Femi turned and shook his head , what a senile old man he said,......

Meanwhile in the large oak tree of ITEKPELE forest, Iroko Olu Were stood surrounded by his minions , he grumbled "who should I send , it is time, it must be collected", Esu Belete replied, "master send Iwala it would be done efficiently, he doesn't leave his task unfinished", "hmmm", Iroko Olu Were growled , "that it's true"... "Send me master" , a feeble voice responded, Iwala sneered, "you!!!,the weakest of all, that'll be a fatal mistake", the feeble voice responded "this is a easy enough task even for the faintest of heart, give me a chance to prove myself master and I won't disappoint you" Iroko Olu Weri thought to himself, alright you shall go ........

To be continued........
Misty
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 4:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
Intresting work you got here. More ink to your pen.
AND MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 22, 2016
xaviercasmir:
Intresting work you got here. More ink to your pen.
AND MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

thank you

my first comment, I thought I was only writing to myself
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2016
mistytohcute:

thank you

my first comment, I thought I was only writing to myself
No, you ain't

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
TEVLI:
No, you ain't

thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by nimat158(f): 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
keep it on

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by GSteve001(m): 8:02pm On Dec 23, 2016
all I could do was smile when i read this...really, really nice.
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 23, 2016
GSteve001:
all I could do was smile when i read this...really, really nice.

thank you
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Chipappii(m): 1:11am On Dec 29, 2016
Seated wink

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 5:02am On Dec 29, 2016
mistytohcute:

thank you

Come and finish what you started

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
Chapter 3

Ronbi had been having bizarre feelings lately, also perplexing occurrences, things had been going missing,like a few weeks ago, when she kept her daily income in her purse as always and found it missing the next morning , she had blamed it on carelessness but it happened two more times , she hadn't considered it vital until three days ago when she placed her meal on the dining table , and went to the kitchen to get water but on getting back , the meal was gone , that was when she knew something was wrong , which made her call her daughter Apon bi epo re immediately but she was reassured by her daughter's response that nothing was wrong...........

It was 8:45am already and Dr Biola was not in the lecture room yet, Apombe thought in disdain , it was the norm for Dr Biola , she always had one excuse or the other for not being present in class. "I pray I pass this course" she said to Lade sitting beside her, "Amen and me too" , Lade responded ...... Just then a hush fell over the class, Apombe pondered about the reason for the silence and followed the gaze of the entire class, which was on a stranger by the door , a tall dark, finely built guy , he was like an illusion from a picture, he looked directly at Apombe and smile , Apombe almost swooned, "Omg!!!!!" Lade bleated, "he just smiled at you" , "I'm sure he has 6 packs underneath that shirt", "damn!!!" , "he's hot". "Shhhh", Apombe hushed Lade after returning to her senses, "he might hear us" , the handsome guy moved towards a seat and sat down, "that's odd" , Shope said , "I haven't seen him in class before or in school for that matter", "Madam you can't know everybody", Lade replied ..... At that moment Dr Biola walked in , "sorry I'm late students , I was tied down with something".....
After class , Apombe stood with her friends, the tall stranger moved towards them , "hi ladies" he said , looking towards Apombe , "my name is Lucas" , "a transfer student, I would be pleased to make your acquaintance", at this moment, Lade interrupted , "I'm Lade", she said stretching her hands for a handshake , "and these are my friends Apombe and Shope" ,Lucas shook Lade's hand and turned his full gaze at Apombe, "I wouldn't mind if you'd show me around campus" , "yes she'll, she's doing nothing else", Lade replied, ...... "OK ladies I'll be seeing you around" , he said moving towards a Bugatti Chiron and then zoomed off, "wow!!! ,handsome and rich", Lade exclaimed ........., "hmmm", Shope murmured

Femi stood , shaking in Anger, he couldn't believe his eyes, he saw the stranger talking to Apombe and she was visibly pleased by the look of things, Ah,!! Why now ,he thought, why did fate deal me a hard blow, I can't compete with this type of personality , but I can't forget Apombe as well , I think it's high time I made a move , this my cowering won't help situations ,he thought and moved on......

To be continued........
Misty
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
Next chapter already, please come on!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 29, 2016
Milonis:
Next chapter already, please come on!!!!!!

I'm sorry, festivities is tying me down
Re: THE DEBT (a Short Story) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
mistytohcute:

I'm sorry, festivities is tying me down
Understandable. Kindly update as soon as you can. Great story. Keep it up

(1) (Reply)

Pastor's Second Wife - Episode 7 / Dont We Need A Magazine And Newspapers Sub-forum / Is Chimamanda Adichie Against Other Nigerian Writers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.