Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal (2777 Views)

How To Check The Fuel Guage To Ensure It's Still Working / My Temperature Guage Doesn't Get To The Middle !!! / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 11:13pm On Dec 20, 2016
Gurus in the house, kindly help me out. My Toyota camry 2000 Model. Is having an issue:

The coolant boils but temperature gauge still reading normal: still in the midway. I top up the radiator with 1/2-1litre coolant every three days. I have check no leakage detected.
What I have done so far:
1. Replaced the radiator cap
2. Removed the thermostat as advised by my mechanic(though I know is wrong, just trying to find the cause of this issue)
3. Radiator was flushed thoroughly: upper part removed and coolant passed cleaned

With all of this, the issue still remain. The boiling is more vigorous with AC on.
Pls your pro advice is needed.
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 4:26am On Dec 21, 2016
amosfunmi:
Gurus in the house, kindly help me out. My Toyota camry 2000 Model. Is having an issue:

The coolant boils but temperature gauge still reading normal: still in the midway. I top up the radiator with 1/2-1litre coolant every three days. I have check no leakage detected.
What I have done so far:
2. Removed the thermostat as advised by my mechanic(though I know is wrong, just trying to find the cause of this issue)
3. Radiator was flushed thoroughly: upper part removed and coolant passed cleaned

With all of this, the issue still remain. The boiling is more vigorous with AC on.
Since you admitted topping the coolant up every three days then this suggest that there is hidden leak which has to be fished out .You can't make out a leak by mere physical inspection ,you will need a special diagnotics equipment to simulate that high pressure condition to bring out that leak in your cooling system.
If you are in Lagos ,call autologic @ 08061166316 for fixing this issue up
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 10:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
Pls help me out with your advice
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by mayor2013: 1:56am On Dec 22, 2016
amosfunmi:

What I have done so far:

are your cooling fans working optimally? Another thing could be your radiator. There are 2 things here. You could have an internal leak or external. If external check radiator and radiator cap. If internal then your water pump is out.carry out a coolant pressure test to ascertain this. But this one wey kazeem don open radiator head. Am afraid you might need to buy another radiator cos he wouldn't be able to seal that up properly back to factory installation.
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by ogawisdom(m): 8:21am On Dec 22, 2016
Bleed the system there might be air trapped in there, if that fails buy a new radiator
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by nissparts(m): 10:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
Water pump
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 11:13pm On Dec 25, 2016
ogawisdom:
Bleed the system there might be air trapped in there, if that fails buy a new radiator
system has been bleed twice no result.

am trying a new radiator. Could anyone please help me with likely price of the radiator?
Thanking you in anticipation
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 11:16pm On Dec 25, 2016
nissparts:
Water pump
thank you sir, water pump is okay
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by Originalsly: 11:59pm On Dec 25, 2016
Bro...I know nothing much about cars... but why on earth would he remove the thermostat?... didn't the manufacturers have it there to help regulate the cooling system?.... or it wasn't necessary?
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 6:10am On Dec 26, 2016
Originalsly:
Bro...I know nothing much about cars... but why on earth would he remove the thermostat?... didn't the manufacturers have it there to help regulate the cooling system?.... or it wasn't necessary?
a stuck close thermostat can cause overheating and if it is the culprit ,you remove and replace with a functioning one .

1 Like

Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 6:15am On Dec 26, 2016
amosfunmi:

am trying a new radiator. Could anyone please help me with likely price of the radiator?
Seems you now want to be throwing part to the problem which is the Kazeem approach of resolving problem .
Assume it is not the radiator and you have already wasted around 20k on one ,how will you feel.
Get the issue diagnosed accurately before you start buying parts.
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by eagleeye2: 6:56am On Dec 26, 2016
amosfunmi:

A new radiator is about 20k to 25k, I happen to know this because am having a similar issue.
Mine is like this;
My Kazeem after working on the engine (he actually tried in that area), decided in his wisdom to remove the thermostat (thank God he told me) to help the engine run at a cooler temperature "since our weather hot pass every other weather for this world ".
When taking the car home after thoroughly flushing my radiator the over heating started. Took the car to a blacksmith who worked on the radiator three times and simply told me not to bother coming to his shop again if the radiator continues leaking. Fortunately, the radiator stopped leaking but after some days, the temperature gage shot up. Had to start doing some research online, and also checking the cooling system from time to time by being observant. Later found out that my fans wasn't working optimally. It sometimes shut off while the engine is on, and as a result the temperature gauge will shoot up.
Checked for frayed wires (it's a possibility, since I have been using the car for more than five years now). After that, I discovered that the culprit is a bad relay fuse. Replaced, the fuse and I once again started enjoying the car for at least a week now.
I have decided to go to the auto market at Alaoji and buy enough relay fuses and other fuses. I think these little fuses that don't cost much actually matters sometime.
By the way the car is Avalon 2000 model.

1 Like

Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by Lokoyen(m): 8:33am On Dec 26, 2016
Exactly what am experiencing too. I replace coolant every 3days and there is no physical leaks.
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by pannyman(m): 10:05am On Dec 27, 2016
@op. Repair the temperature guage immediately. It is not working properly.
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by eagleeye2: 10:07am On Dec 27, 2016
pannyman:
@op. Repair the temperature guage immediately. It is not working properly.
That's true. he may blow his top gasket unknowingly
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 11:19am On Dec 27, 2016
eagleeye2:

Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 11:19am On Dec 27, 2016
eagleeye2:

Blown headgasket and overheating are both symptom of an issue related causing the overheating.. Assume you have a headache ,are you going to be treated for the cause of the headache or the headache itself ,headache can be a symptom of a malaria fever,stress itself.Treat the cause and the headache will go away .Likewise treat the issue causing overheating and blowing the head gasket and the overheating will go away .So stop treating symptoms,it is a waste of resources and time.

1 Like

Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by eagleeye2: 11:55am On Dec 27, 2016
honmusa:

Blown headgasket and overheating are both symptom of an issue related causing the overheating.. Assume you have a headache ,are you going to be treated for the cause of the headache or the headache itself ,headache can be a symptom of a malaria fever,stress itself.Treat the cause and the headache will go away .Likewise treat the issue causing overheating and blowing the head gasket and the overheating will go away .So stop treating symptoms,it is a waste of resources and time.
Good one. But what could be the root cause?
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by honmusa(m): 12:19pm On Dec 27, 2016
eagleeye2:

Good one. But what could be the root cause?
A cooling system is supposed to be airtight and this is die to the fact that the pressure must always stay to increase the coolant boiling point .But if boiling takes place at atmospheric pressure then there is reduction in pressure which can be due to a leak .
Leak is not limited to the radiator alone ,it can be anywhere along the cooling system route eg heater core,hose clamps or internal leaks.
Special equipment is needed in most cases to fish out this leak .
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 5:53pm On Jan 01, 2017
Thank you all, issue has now been resolved. The installed radiator was not Camry 2000 model type. Thia is also adding to the problem. Thr radiator cover is the major culprit. The radiator was change to another vehicle with double cell but Thr cap is still Camry's. There coolant boil as a result of low pressure in system.
Cap was replaced and issue resolved. Drove to and fro Ibadan with no issue.
Thank you all for your support and advice.
Happy to be part of this forum. I have learned alot
Re: Coolant Boiling And Temp Guage Show Temp Normal by amosfunmi(m): 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2017
Lokoyen:
Exactly what am experiencing too. I replace coolant every 3days and there is no physical leaks.
with the issue I had I have learnt alot about cooling system and how it works. if there is no physical leak just like my own case, the likely cause are:
1. Bad thermostat
2. Bad radiator cap
3. cooling fan not working optimally( could be the fan itself or the relays)
4. could also be Radiator

Even if you have a blown head gasket, something must have caused it which is likely to be one of the reasons stated above.

(1) (Reply)

Finally, My Car Got Fixed With Just A Reset; Car Owners Learn From My Experience / Fatal Accident / [photos & Video] Hushpuppi Car Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.