Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor (1477 Views)

Buhari Reveals How Obasanjo ‘tolerated Him’ / How Obasanjo Scuttled Tinubu’s Ambition Of Producing Buhari’s Finance Minister / Details On How Obasanjo Tore His PDP Membership Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by SeanT21(f): 8:54am On Nov 17, 2009
http://allafrica.com/stories/200911110164.html

Nigeria's President at the time Chief Olusegun Obasanjo told him lies and encouraged him to go on a mysterious journey that led to his arrest as he approached this country's border with Chad, former Liberian President Charles Taylor said at The Hague yesterday.

Taylor told the Special Court for Sierra Leone that Obasanjo had earlier assured him he could leave the country freely. "He lied to the world when he said I was escaping, and he knew nothing about it," Taylor said. "Why he lied? I don't know, but as a brother and a friend, I think he ought to speak and tell the truth about it."

The ex-warlord's journey to The Hague began in 2006 when Obasanjo announced that Liberia's new government was free to take their former president into custody, despite assurances of his personal safety given to Taylor when African leaders persuaded him to quit the Liberian presidency in 2003 in order to end a vicious civil war.

Soon after the announcement was made, Taylor suddenly disappeared from his exile abode at Calabar while Obasanjo was on his way to Washington to meet then US president George W Bush. The next day, the Nigerian government announced that Taylor was arrested near the Chad border while trying to escape. The government said he was in disguise and also that sacks of money were found on him.

Taylor said he hopes he would live to look Chief Obasanjo in the face one day and ask him to tell the truth about what happened. Charles Taylor also claimed yesterday that there was a plot involving the UK and the US that led to his indictment. He is accused of backing rebels, who committed widespread atrocities throughout the 1990s in Liberia's neighbour Sierra Leone. He was living in exile in Nigeria in 2006 when US pressure to put him on trial for alleged war crimes increased.

Taylor had been given asylum in Nigeria as part of a deal to end Liberia's civil war, though human rights groups accused him of breaking the terms of the deal by continuing to interfere in Liberian politics.

Yesterday was the final day of his testimony in The Hague. Taylor claimed he was a victim of an intelligence plot involving the British and US governments that supplied weapons to the region in an attempt to topple him - as part of a plan by Washington to gain control of West African oil reserves. The US position was that "we cannot have anyone in Liberia that we don't think is going to dance to our tune", he said.

He also said he was a peace broker and repeated denials that he had supplied arms to Sierra Leone rebels in exchange for blood diamonds.

The prosecution, which will now cross-examine Taylor, says it will challenge the accuracy, truthfulness and completeness of his testimony.
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by rasputinn(m): 9:00am On Nov 17, 2009
Hehehehehe,Taylor sorry,no handkerchieves for you,so cry all you want puhoohoohoohoo
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by rasputinn(m): 9:04am On Nov 17, 2009
SeanT21:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200911110164.html

[b]Taylor said he hopes he would live to look Chief Obasanjo in the face one day and ask him to tell the truth about what happened.

Yea yea,just the same way sooooooo many Liberian orphans,widows,amputees,rape victims,etc etc etc etc etc etc will like to look you in the face on the streets of Monrovia so they can pluck out evil eyes with their fingers for the misery you caused them
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by princekevo(m): 9:08am On Nov 17, 2009
This is exactly why other african leaders like Mugabe would want to die on sit even if it takes the whole citizens die of hunger and starvation.
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by kokoA(m): 9:27am On Nov 17, 2009
Bastard! He was only betrayed not killed. Obasajo should have done worse to him. I wish him all the bad things on earth!
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by chidichris(m): 9:40am On Nov 17, 2009
the is the voice of a drowing idiot.
those who murdered sleep will never know sleep.
the idea of looking obj in the face is only possible in hell where both of u will meet to part no more.
there is a possibility that obj can even be in a better position overthere hence it becomes impossible for you to revenge proparely.
rest in peace charles. the God of the poor have fought their fights.
rest in peace taylor.
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by sjeezy8: 9:42am On Nov 17, 2009
princekevo:

Taylor claimed he was a victim of an intelligence plot involving the British and US governments that supplied weapons to the region in an attempt to topple him - as part of a plan by Washington to gain control of West African oil reserves. The US position was that "we cannot have anyone in Liberia that we don't think is going to dance to our tune", he said.

The US government is FULL OF FUCKIN BASTARDS. I believe this guy when he said the US/UK were in on everything that went on in West Africa. They dont give a shit about any damn war crimes. As much crimes as Obasanjo comitted they still back him on everything because he dances to their tune. FUCKIN BASTARDS
Even though this guy is a stupid fool his outcome would probably come out the same for the simple fact he didnt listen to the US. Look at yaradull getting close with the chinese now the US is on bad terms with Nigeria and Prediciting invasions, break ups, Africom n shit. smh  

I cant believe this fool trusted OBJ as a brother wtf- the same obj who slept with his own son's wife shocked shocked
Re: How Obasanjo Duped Me, By Charles Taylor by SeanT21(f): 12:27am On Nov 18, 2009
chidichris:

the is the voice of a drowing idiot.
those who murdered sleep will never know sleep.
the idea of looking obj in the face is only possible in hell where both of u will meet to part no more.
there is a possibility that obj can even be in a better position overthere hence it becomes impossible for you to revenge proparely.
rest in peace charles. the God of the poor have fought their fights.
rest in peace taylor.

LMAO!! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

The Lagos Of My Dreams: / Military Decree Better Than Constitution In Nigeria / Someone Pls Shut Ghadafi's Mouth B4 I Shut It With A Bullet!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.