Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,871 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

"I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President (31676 Views)

I Will Not Step Down Nor Die - 93-year-old Zimbabwean President, Mugabe Boast / Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by goodnews777: 12:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
ARABIAN SPIRIT DON COME.WAR.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by hotice01: 12:11pm On Dec 21, 2016
Nothing will happen to Jammeh!
The worse that can happen is sanctions imposed on Gambia.
If Assad of Syria is still in power then Jammeh stands a good chance.
I believe he is smarter than most of think.For him to make this decision he has covered all his bases.
After seeing how GEJ is been treated by the same man who was appointed head of negotiation committee for ECOWAS,he had to take this decision to save his neck and prestige.
Not everyone is as docile as GEJ.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Kobicove(m): 12:12pm On Dec 21, 2016
I'm not surprised...

He's a true African grin

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by AngelicBeing: 12:14pm On Dec 21, 2016
MARKone:
There is something fundamentally wrong with African leaders, this Idi Amin look alike of a man have been in power since 1994, is now defeated and refuses to step down. undecided. If it is archival men like own Bubu and Mugabe, it is power drunk iidiots, that thinks that the country is their personal property, sad indeed.

African democracy is pluto-mobo-kakistocracy or what l call demonstration of craze angry angry

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by JAWASIL(m): 12:19pm On Dec 21, 2016
costandi:
Thats why I'm forever of the of opinion that Islam is a thorn in the flesh of the world. The most recent African Presidents who have shown examplary leadership by conceding defeat Jonathan and Mahama would surely not have done so, were they Muslims. Now, he's claiming that only allah can take the presidency away from him. Same way our Islamic president said some years back that he'd make the country ungovernable, just because he lost at the polls. Call me a religious bigot for all I care. Islam is all about war and bloodshed, and they do all these in the name of Allah. What a tragedy!
You are absolutely right!

2 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Whytelyon(m): 12:19pm On Dec 21, 2016
Isiokpukpu:
Where is the ECOWAS Chairman for the mediation Committee cheesy grin grin.

He's chilling. We spoke this morning. He's flying to Daura this evening.

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 12:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:
This is what you get when you are unpresidential in your utterance...

Barrow won, and Jammeh conceded only for Barrow to start talking about probes of corruption and human rights abuses. Why not wait until the transfer of power before you make your intentions known/act?

Reminds me of Buhari making the 97% vs 5% unpresidential comment that have since polarised the country.

They should start thinking about making compromises as Barrow has spoilt everything alread. Jammeh being a soldier will not be a sitting duck. He will rather die than be humiliated.

Diplomacy is what is needed now and I doubt Buhari knows anything about diplomacy to have been asked ti head this mission.

Getting tired of telling people that Barrow never said such. International media kept asking and the most he would say was that there is a process and that when he gets into office he would look into it. It was a female member of the coalition who explicitly made comments threatening the man and his henchmen.

3 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Dare2Try(m): 12:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
The Allah people at it again, I'm getting afraid of Dem this days
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by ezemme(m): 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2016
That will be another season firm next year.v
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
MARKone:
There is something fundamentally wrong with African leaders, this Idi Amin look alike of a man have been in power since 1994, is now defeated and refuses to step down. undecided. If it is archival men like own Bubu and Mugabe, it is power drunk iidiots, that thinks that the country is their personal property, sad indeed.

Donald Trump = 70

2 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by fuckingAyaya(m): 12:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
I no is buhari DAT told u dat
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 12:27pm On Dec 21, 2016
hotice01:
Nothing will happen to Jammeh!
The worse that can happen is sanctions imposed on Gambia.
If Assad of Syria is still in power then Jammeh stands a good chance.
I believe he is smarter than most of think.For him to make this decision he has covered all his bases.
After seeing how GEJ is been treated by the same man who was appointed head of negotiation committee for ECOWAS,he had to take this decision to save his neck and prestige.
Not everyone is as docile as GEJ.

1. If you can't see the difference between Assad's Syria and Gambia then you cannot be taken seriously as a political analyst.

2. How is GEJ being mistreated?? Is he not a free man, roaming the globe praising himself for doing what ought to have been done?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by deebrain(m): 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
GoggleB:
War in other Africa country..
Can't imagine what would have happened if GEJ said the same thing in 2015.

Hmmm

Let's pray seriously.

Buhari will say the same thing in 2019.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Isiokpukpu(m): 12:37pm On Dec 21, 2016
Whytelyon:

He's chilling. We spoke this morning. He's flying to Daura this evening.

No this is unacceptable. He should be in Gambia already. Jammeh must accept defeat just the way he accepted defeat in 2011
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by jomoh: 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
Lacomus:
No wahala ,Gaddafi been do pass you.

Bt wait ooo, him de baff Kiwi shocked

Mentioning Gadaffi with this guy is an insult to gadaffi.

Gadaffi issue was because the western powers couldn't control him and his country's oil. So they decided to fund son rebels to fight against him. Even at the heart of the war when they found out the rebels were looking ground in a big way, the US had to physically intervene through NATO. It is exactly the same thing happening in Syria right now. The only difference is that unlike Assad of Syria, Gadaffi had no world power like Russia to support him.

Jameh's own issue is different. He is the one that called for an election and went ahead to organise it only for him to turn around and start crying foul after being defeated/rejected by his own people.

Gadaffi was never rejected by his own people and he never had a recognised opposition figure, that was why the rebels found it very hard to defeat him on their own.

4 Likes

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by musicwriter(m): 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
Jammeh just disappointed me.
This's someone I had great prospects for because he at least have an independent mind unlike most follow-follow African leaders.
Now he just destroyed his fan base as no right thinking African is going to take this nonsense from him.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Omeokachie: 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2016
SmartyPants:

Getting tired of telling people that Barrow never said such. International media kept asking and the most he would say was that there is a process and that when he gets into office he would look into it. It was a female member of the coalition who explicitly made comments threatening the man and his henchmen.

Here is an excerpt from an interview granted by Barrow...

Barrow will also face a dicey situation handling his predecessor once he’s sworn in. Given Jammeh’s track record of human rights abuses, Barrow will have to decide whether to investigate and prosecute Jammeh.
“We don’t have a grudge against anyone. If there are files to be judged, we will do it,” Barrow said about the possibility. “We respect the constitution and the rights of all, but the law will be applied to everyone.”

http://qz.com/852974/gambias-president-elect-adama-barrow-lays-out-his-vision-for-a-nation-mired-in-fear-and-poverty-after-22-years-of-yahya-jammehs-autocratic-rule/
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by tukdi: 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:
This is what you get when you are unpresidential in your utterances...

Barrow won and Jammeh conceded, only for Barrow to start talking about probes of corruption and human rights abuses.
Why not wait until the transfer of power before making your intentions known?

Reminds me of Buhari making the 97% vs 5% unpresidential comment that have since polarised the country.

They should start thinking about compromises as Barrow has spoilt everything already. Jammeh being a soldier will not be a sitting duck, and would rather die than be humiliated by a civilian.

Diplomacy is what is needed now. Buhari is a square peg for this round hole, as I doubt he knows anything about diplomacy to have been asked to head this mission.

Aaahhh, bro u have scattered my head wit ur write up asway! grin

I thought I was the only one that noticed it! cool

That adama barrow messed up everything with his undemocratic statements! cool

Threatening to arrest Jammeh by saying that Jammeh is planning to flee the country before his inauguration! shocked

I saw this coming, Barrow brought this problem upon himself! cool
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by mu2sa2: 12:44pm On Dec 21, 2016
costandi:
Thats why I'm forever of the of opinion that Islam is a thorn in the flesh of the world. The most recent African Presidents who have shown examplary leadership by conceding defeat Jonathan and Mahama would surely not have done so, were they Muslims. Now, he's claiming that only allah can take the presidency away from him. Same way our Islamic president said some years back that he'd make the country ungovernable, just because he lost at the polls. Call me a religious bigot for all I care. Islam is all about war and bloodshed, and they do all these in the name of Allah. What a tragedy!
This guy should be taken to yaba left in his own interest. What religion does Joseph kabila and Mugabe profess?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Uncletony(m): 12:46pm On Dec 21, 2016
MARKone:
There is something wrong with muslim leaders not african leaders my dear!. The thing is that, while the world is subtly & diplomatic on the issue of muslim rascality & terror tendencies, it is getting worse by the day. Is ghana presido, GEJ, tabo mbeki, etc are they not africa?
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Uncletony(m): 12:50pm On Dec 21, 2016
Sometimes i wonder what are in there in the skull of those that shout ''allah''!. Woris all dis!!
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Ahmeduana(m): 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
Am recommending the GBAGBO treatment.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Alphasoar(m): 12:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
vickylincon:
Africans and power
I tire. as in . . .
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Drabrah(m): 12:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
MARKone:

Buhari no be 73 again o. He's nw 74.
Buh, Mugabe sha! The olman don turn Chairman & Grandpatron, Elders Association.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:

Here is an excerpt from an interview granted by Barrow...

Barrow will also face a dicey situation handling his predecessor once he’s sworn in. Given Jammeh’s track record of human rights abuses, Barrow will have to decide whether to investigate and prosecute Jammeh.
We don’t have a grudge against anyone. If there are files to be judged, we will do it,” Barrow said about the possibility. “We respect the constitution and the rights of all, but the law will be applied to everyone.”

http://qz.com/852974/gambias-president-elect-adama-barrow-lays-out-his-vision-for-a-nation-mired-in-fear-and-poverty-after-22-years-of-yahya-jammehs-autocratic-rule/

Thank you for this, as it clearly backs up exactly what i said. He did not discard the possibility of it, when asked by foreign media, but he never went round declaring he would prosecute anybody in particular. Did he??

Here are other thigns Barrow has said:

“We conducted the election on principle, not on personal things. I’m sure if we can reconcile...I see no reason why Gambians cannot do the same,” says Barrow

“I think he [Jammeh] can also stay in this country. He belongs here and he’s a citizen of this nation. He has been [leading] Gambia for 22 years and I think he has the spirit of Gambia,” says Barrow.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
jomoh:

Mentioning Gadaffi with this guy is an insult to gadaffi.

Gadaffi issue was because the western powers couldn't control him and his country's oil. So they decided to fund son rebels to fight against him. Even at the heart of the war when they found out the rebels were looking ground in a big way, the US had to physically intervene through NATO. It is exactly the same thing happening in Syria right now. The only difference is that unlike Assad of Syria, Gadaffi had no world power like Russia to support him.

Jameh's own issue is different. He is the one that called for an election and went ahead to organise it only for him to turn around and start crying foul after being defeated/rejected by his own people.

Gadaffi was never rejected by his own people and he never had a recognised opposition figure, that was why the rebels found it very hard to defeat him on their own.

Just to correct this statement in bold. The constitution of the Gambia calls for elections every 5 years. Mr. Jammeh never called for nor organized elections of his own volition.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by ufuosman(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
You will step down by fire by force...
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by Omeokachie: 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2016
SmartyPants:

Thank you for this, as it clearly backs up exactly what i said. He did not discard the possibility of it, when asked by foreign media, but he never went round declaring he would prosecute anybody in particular. Did he??

In politics you read between the lines and pay close attention to body language.

Everybody knows about the human rights abuses under Jammeh's administration.

Barrow just confirmed in that interview that he will look into it and apply the law. In other words we are talking about jail term or death on conviction depending on what the law says in The Gambia. Now that was tackless of Barrow knowing you are trying to get rid of a dictator who has control of the army. Patience and less talk is a virtue, especially for a president.

You claimed a lady supporter of his made the comments. Any link of that to back your assertion?

1 Like

Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by SmartyPants(m): 1:18pm On Dec 21, 2016
Omeokachie:

In politics you read between the lines and pay close attention to body language.

Everybody knows about the human rights abuses under Jammeh's administration.

Barrow just confirmed in that interview that he will look into it and apply the law. In other words we are talking about jail term or death on conviction depending on what the law says in The Gambia. Now that was tackless of Barrow knowing you are trying to get rid of a dictator who has control of the army. Patience and less talk is a virtue, especially for a president.

You claimed a lady supporter of his made the comments. Any link of that to back your assertion?

He simply had to toe the neutral line. To claim outrightly claim Mr. Jammeh would not be prosecuted at all would rile up the people who had just voted him in to power; to claim he would not be prosecuted and later turn back on that would on the other hand rile up Mr. Jammeh's fanbase and set a bad precedent of dishonesty from his government; and to outrightly claim he would be prosecuted would be to back the man into a corner and cause him to defend his interests fiercely. As you can see, the only acceptable political answer is the one that says everything and yet says nothing.

http://europe.newsweek.com/new-gambian-government-will-prosecute-jammeh-says-coalition-chair-529102
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by jomoh: 1:20pm On Dec 21, 2016
SmartyPants:

Just to correct this statement in bold. The constitution of the Gambia calls for elections every 5 years. Mr. Jammeh never called for nor organized elections of his own volition.

So who did? Who provided for the materials used in election.

If the constitution called for election and he decided to follow suit. If he had decided not to go ahead with the election like he has done in the past 22years who would care? No one.

But he consented to the constitution by allowing the election and even participating.

Gadaffi never called for an election and his people never complained only the external forces that he wouldn't now to.
Re: "I Will Not Step Down" - Yahya Jammeh, Gambian President by nwamehn: 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2016
mu2sa2:
This guy should be taken to yaba left in his own interest. What religion does Joseph kabila and Mugabe profess?

I'm neither in support of ur view nor his but if u read what he wrote well, u would have seen that he said they wouldn't have conceded defeat after elections if they were Muslims. So, I guess u would have to find non-muslim presidents who didn't concede defeat after elections that they lost and use them as examples (I believe there ar many of them) and not Kabila and Mugabe, cos those two ar yet to lose elections first, let alone conceding defeat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ukrainian Government Bans Men From Leaving The Country / 8-Year-Old Queen Nnenna Abel Kalu Feeds Over 200 Street Children In Lagos / Indian Navy Rescue Ship From Somali Pirates (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.