Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom (27214 Views)

HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne / Man Who Sat On The Throne Of Tor Tiv Barnished From TIV Land (pic) / Ooni Of Ife Celebrates 1st Year On The Throne With Soyinka, Obasanjo, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 11:26am On Dec 21, 2016
Bonny Island Stood Still As His Majesty King Edward Asimini William Dappa Pepple III, CON, JP, Perekule XI, Amanyanabo And Natural Ruler Of Ancient Grand Bonny Kingdom Begins The Celebration Of His 20 Years On The Throne

http://nkiruhomann.com/2016/12/18/bonny-island-stood-still-majesty-king-edward-asimini-william-dappa-pepple-iii-con-jp-perekule-xi-amanyanabo-natural-ruler-ancient-grand-bonny-kingdom-begins-celebration-20/

3 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by angeltolly(f): 11:27am On Dec 21, 2016
Congratulations sir .... Long live the king

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 11:28am On Dec 21, 2016
The Kingdom of Bonny is a traditional state based on the town of Bonny in Rivers State, Nigeria. Founded in the 14th century AD, it became an important slave trading port, later trading palm oil products. During the 19th century the British became increasingly involved in the internal affairs of the kingdom, in 1886 assuming control under a protectorate treaty.

The Ibani kingdom was a state in the South Atlantic Coast, founded before 1600 AD. The modern name “Bonny” is a distortion of the original name. According to tradition the island on which the town of Bonny is sited was full of curlews, and the first settlers therefore called it Okoloma, meaning curlew town. This name is still used locally.

The hereditary king, who had the title “Amanyanabo”, originated from the founding fathers and premier kings of Bonny kingdom. Thus, the first four kings are founding fathers of the kingdom. These are namely Kings Ndoli, Opuamakuba, Alagbariya (Founder of Bonny: ‘Okoloamakoromabo’) and Asimini. After these initial four kings, their direct-blood descendants ruled the kingdom as kings until the era of King Awusa (Halliday). It was after King Halliday-Awusa, the twelfth king of Bonny kingdom, that King Perekule emerged and established the Pepple dynasty. Today the King of Bonny has a largely ceremonial role.

Bonny kingdom became important in the 15th century with the arrival of the Portuguese and the growth of the Atlantic slave trade. At its height of power, Bonny was one of the main entrepôts on the Slave Coast. Later the Dutch and then the British took control of the slave trade in the region, with the British renaming the port “Bonny”. When the British passed an act to abolish the slave trade in 1807, the port turned to export of palm oilproducts, ivory and Guinea pepper.

Growing British influence
William Dappa Pepple I ascended the throne in 1830. He became increasingly incompetent, particularly following a stroke in 1852, and stirred up opposition to his rule. In 1854 the British deported the king. King Dapu Fubara II Pepple (“Dappo”) was appointed in his place, but died on 13 Aug 1855. The acting British Consul in the Bight of Biafra, J.W.B. Lynslager, signed a document on 11 September 1855 appointing the chiefs Anne Pepple, Ada Allison, Captain Hart and Manilla Pepple as a regency, required to consult with Bannego and [[Oko Jumbo]], “two gentlemen of the river”.

Royal Canoe of Bonny Kingdon 1890

Oko Jumbo, who became leader of the Manilla Pepple house and effective ruler of the kingdom, became engaged in a struggle with the Annie Pepple house, which was led by a chief named Jubo Jubogha, known as Ja-Ja to the British.

In an attempt to stabilize the situation, the British restored King William Dappa Pepple I in 1861, and for the next five years until his death on 30 September 1866 the kingdom was relatively peaceful. King William Dappa was succeeded by his son George Oruigbiji Pepple (born 1849), who had been educated in England. George Pepple was a Christian, and on 21 April 1867, supported by Oko Jumbo and other chiefs, he declared the iguana was no longer the sacred deity of the kingdom. The tension between the Manilla Pepple and Annie Pepple houses revived. In 1869 a major battle between the two factions led to Ja-Ja founding a new state at Opobo, further inland, taking some of the palm oil trade away from Bonny.

Bonny had previously been on reasonably good terms with the Kalabari Kingdom, a trading state on the New Calabar and Imo rivers. With the loss of trade to Opobo, Bonny began pushing up rivers traditionally controlled by Kalabari, causing a series of armed clashes. Bonny was at times assisted by the Nembe Kingdom to the west and Okrika further inland, while Opobo allied with Kalabari. In 1873, and again in 1882 the British consul had to intervene and force the feuding parties to agree to treaties.

https://theperekulexi./early-history/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 11:36am On Dec 21, 2016
the king and daddy G.O.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Wulfruna(f): 11:49am On Dec 21, 2016
I don't understand why the Union Jack is on the first picture. Is Bonny still a British colony? undecided

12 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 12:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
why I think his majesty King Edward Asimini William Dappa Pepple III (Perekule XI) should be celebrated is because he assumed the throne at a very young age (and still look very young) and has PEACEFULLY ruled the kingdom in 20 years. hosting the Largest exporter of Nigerias liquefied gas the NLNG in his domain. and inspite of all the fight in the Niger delta has maintain a level of peace that has seen Nigerias economy grow.

4 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Ladymacbee(f): 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
Congrats Sir. May you reign with more wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Thunderlicious: 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
what is british flag still doing there?

And which one be that kpekpeye own for inside?

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by YourNemesis: 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
What's with the British Union Jack on the poster?

Black people sef.....LOL!!!
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by brokenplate: 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2016
Happy coronation

Dear Nairalanders thanks for your patronage so far. Please contact me on my signature for your Xmas goat.
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by BornStunner1: 12:23pm On Dec 21, 2016

LMAO!!

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by gabazin080(m): 12:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
robosky02:
Bonny Island Stood Still As His Majesty King Edward Asimini William Dappa Pepple III, CON, JP, Perekule XI, Amanyanabo And Natural Ruler Of Ancient Grand Bonny Kingdom Begins The Celebration Of His 20 Years On The Throne

why all this long name and alias just cus of a king. even queen and kings who are head of states dont carry this long title.
we have heard of queen elizabeth of england and king of saudi arabia simply addressed as king salman of saudi arabia.
Africans Sha

4 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by bewla(m): 12:27pm On Dec 21, 2016
long live the king

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 12:27pm On Dec 21, 2016
Thunderlicious:
what is british flag still doing there

it should be noted that Bonny Island was one of the foremost city states that played a key role in the advent of the Brithish into Nigeria.
in fact most of the slave enroute Europe passed through bonny and that was were the Bristhish too ships in their goods into Nigeria

picture: Bonny Chiefs with Naval Commandant 1896

4 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by passionate88: 12:28pm On Dec 21, 2016
congrats
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by soath(m): 12:30pm On Dec 21, 2016
angeltolly:
Congratulations sir .... Long live the king
You're a legendary Nairalander. 2006 no be joke oo shocked

8 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by ameezy(m): 12:30pm On Dec 21, 2016
YourNemesis:
What's with the British Union Jack on the poster?

Black people sef.....LOL!!!
Words
Are u not black? angry

2 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by drsugar: 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2016
So?
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by DWJOBScom(m): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2016
I love history
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Atiku2019: 12:34pm On Dec 21, 2016
robosky02:

it should be noted that Bonny Island was one of the foremost city states that played a key role in the advent of the Brithish into Nigeria.
in fact most of the slave enroute Europe passed through bonny and that was were the Bristhish too ships in their goods into Nigeria

Okay that's why the flag is still there? cool

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by manutdrichie(m): 12:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
My amanyanabo

if you have been to Bonny Kingdom click like

5 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by angeltolly(f): 12:36pm On Dec 21, 2016
soath:
You're a legendary Nairalander. 2006 no be joke oo shocked

Lols..... Been a guest some months before I finally registered October 2006. But then it's nothing.... Can't use it to collect money in the bank smiley

I hope seun will give me veteran award one day

12 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by robosky02(m): 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
Atiku2019:

Okay that's why the flag is still there? cool

now you know...

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by LorDBolton(m): 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
robosky02:

Useless sell-outs it's those fools who joined those British marauders to sack benin kingdom.

Useless fools

See them standing beside the disrobed king, monkeys!

See dull king displaying alien flag on coronation poster lols

Africans n slave mentality sha

1 Like

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by manutdrichie(m): 12:40pm On Dec 21, 2016
LorDBolton:

Useless sell-outs it's those fools who joined those British marauders to sack benin kingdom.

Useless fools

invasion 1898 grin grin
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by xreal: 12:41pm On Dec 21, 2016
Though I don't know him....
Long Live the king and Kingdom of Bonny Island..... My first grey parrot as a kid was gotten from his island. grin

2 Likes

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by LorDBolton(m): 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2016
manutdrichie:

invasion 1898 grin grin

Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2016
Congratulations, my King.
I have always Loved u.
Especially that ur convertible Volkswagen bettle
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by Lovelynature(m): 12:44pm On Dec 21, 2016
Congrats your majesty

But what is the UK flag doing there?
Re: King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom by soath(m): 12:44pm On Dec 21, 2016
angeltolly:

Lols..... Been a guest some months before I finally registered October 2006. But then it's nothing.... Can't use it to collect money in the bank smiley

I hope seun will give me veteran award one day
For sure, he must o! On his behalf, thanks for believing in Nairaland cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? / Ooni Of Ife Hosts American Delegates At His Palace In Osun State. Photos / Idowu Olaniyi Adediwura, Crowned As Obalufe Of Ife (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.