Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola (6157 Views)

Privatisation: FG Generates N564.3bn From 123 Enterprises / Lagos Generates N120bn From Tax In 6 Months / Lagos Generates N3bn From Property Tax In 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by rethink: 11:10am On Nov 17, 2009
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=3463

Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola of Lagos State on Monday disclosed that the state now generates a monthly revenue of N14 billion as tax.

This was contained in his paper titled “Re-Engineering State Tax Administration Strategies, Systems and Processes: Lessons from Lagos State” presented at the first national roundtable strategy session on internally generated revenue holding in Abuja.

According to him, the figure represents over 300 per cent increase against the N3.6 billion the state was generating in 2007 when he came into office.

Governor Fashola added that there was an improved quality of service delivery to tax payers, a wider taxpayer base, increased rate of voluntary compliance, among others in Lagos State.

The governor said: “I must be quick to add that we are far from the Promised Land, but we hope to get there.”

He further stated that the challenge of re-engineering the tax administration strategies and systems of any government is a multifaceted one which must be confronted with thorough dedication.

Fashola however expressed dismay that most companies in the state perform extremely poor in terms of discharging their statutory duty of deductions and remittances of taxes from their employees and contractors.

“Many of them do not deduct the correct amount of taxes prescribed by the law. There are several cases of allowances surreptitiously paid to staff without subjecting them to tax.

“In addition, we have several cases of expatriates’ staff whose emoluments and identity are not disclosed in the companies’ tax returns.

“Many companies even deduct PAYE (Pay As You Earn) and withholding taxes but fail to pay over to government. Those that eventually pay hardly ever do so within the time prescribed by law,” he explained.

Fashola affirmed that over the next two decades, Lagos State would need about N2.6 trillion to provide qualitative and efficient network of roads and drainages; N1.3 trillion for power; N1.2 trillion for inter-modal transportation system, N650 billion for information and computer technology; N390 billion to expand and improve its water supply network, among others.

Earlier in his opening address, Chairman of the forum and Kwara State Governor, Bukola Saraki, stressed that it is expected that states’ budget discussions would be more balanced with comprehensive focus on both revenue and expenditure.

Saraki, whose speech was read by Ebonyi State Governor, Martin Elechi, said: “We must begin as a group to shift away from using the benchmark price of oil as the main factor driving our revenue base.”

Now that is foresight. this man has dreams and he is moved to achieve. This is a truely a non Parasitic Elite. What he has to do before he leaves He should immediately create a thousands of Fashola. That can be simply done by recruiting 14 to 16 year old in a New Lagosian Citizen convention core. You can not just build systems you need people that would uphold and build on the systems[b][/b]
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by GTay(m): 12:47pm On Nov 17, 2009
N14 B / Month shocked Now thats, some crazy money!
Just imagine if Lagos had Oil derivation funds included ,  wow  shocked
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 17, 2009
i have always admired the man-fashola. it is hard to believe that public officers like him still exist in nigeria. the man sure has vision. he is no doubt the best  governor in nigeria. kudos to fashola
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by GTay(m): 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2009
^^^ This is a major Achievement of the Lagos Govt, Eko people now pay their taxes with a smile on their faces.
Kudos to Fashola for bringing hope to the land, Just wish he had more hand-bearers in all the L.Gs undecided
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by agabaI23(m): 12:52pm On Nov 17, 2009
I love Fashiola.

rethink:

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=3463

Now that is foresight. this man has dreams and he is moved to achieve. This is a truely a non Parasitic Elite. What he has to do before he leaves He should immediately create a thousands of Fashola. That can be simply done by recruiting 14 to 16 year old in a New Lagosian Citizen convention core. You can not just build systems you need people that would uphold and build on the systems[b][/b]

You are right on the money. My fear was will the next person start from where he stopped ior will he come in and destroy what he has built.

He needs to make at least 3 fashiolas for now.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by foyeks2001(f): 12:57pm On Nov 17, 2009
Up Fashola

Eko oni baje ooo
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by bandely(m): 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2009
Lagos Rocks!

Fash you are the man!
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by danaras: 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2009
how i wish my own state will be like lagos. honestly we need more of fasholas in nigeria.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Pharoh: 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2009
Kudos to fashola for this but that will not stop me from maintaining that lagos is a special state.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by jmichael90: 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2009
What's he doing about Agero on our roads. Is their job part of tax collector grin They should wipe those tout from our roads.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2009
You see, this has only 5 replies, anytime there is something good, no post but say something negative about Fashola now and see respones
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by walakolobo: 1:11pm On Nov 17, 2009
dont mind them- double sided people,.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by queenesthr(f): 1:13pm On Nov 17, 2009
Hope Lagos roads will receive attention very soon?
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by ettebobson: 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2009
, and i hear Tinubu recieves N1b monthly
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2009
ettebobson:

We must always bring negativity into it. If you have evidence post if not, let the man savor his glory for being one Governor who understand Governance
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by phuckNL: 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2009
queenesthr:

Hope Lagos roads will receive attention very soon?

Don't mind them. ALL noise.
I am yet to benefit from fashola. All these noise sef. 14billion naira monthly from taxes and i don't have good roads in my neighborhood. I still can't walk around freely after 7pm. Everyone has there own bore hole. If you depend on public water you will die.
I don't care what anyone says. i am speaking for myself. I have not benefitted from this government in any way. Is Lekki +VI+Lagos Island = LAGOS
because that is the only place that anything seems to be done. There are shantys all over Lagos juh.
Until I see improvements in my own area, please tell me why me, my parents or anyone in our household should continue paying TAxes so that fashola can plant flowers in Lagos Island.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
ettebobson:

point of correction he pays his company 1billion naira monthly. as for governor fashola i 'DUFF' my cap for you. you are an example of a transparent leader. Eko ni baje o'.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by agoshofin(m): 1:55pm On Nov 17, 2009
Kudos to him, but I believe we give him more ideas to better the lot of lagosians, like embark on a railway project, harness the resources of the informal sector,
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by yemmight(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2009
phuck_NL:

Don't mind them. ALL noise.
I am yet to benefit from fashola. All these noise sef. 14billion naira monthly from taxes and i don't have good roads in my neighborhood. I still can't walk around freely after 7pm. Everyone has there own bore hole. If you depend on public water you will die.
I don't care what anyone says. i am speaking for myself. I have not benefitted from this government in any way. Is Lekki +VI+Lagos Island = LAGOS
because that is the only place that anything seems to be done. There are shantys all over Lagos juh.
Until I see improvements in my own area, please tell me why me, my parents or anyone in our household should continue paying TAxes so that fashola can plant flowers in Lagos Island.

Development cannot go all round Lagos once. You mentioned Lekki,VI Island. But let me tell you these are the major places that bring money. Any responsible governement will firstly spend money on places like before moving to other areas. Even at that, this is the first time I can see Local Govt repairing thier roads. This man has mandated them in repairing certain number of roads yearly. I m very sure it will go round. Let us all try and encourage this man and his team.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by delagasky(m): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2009
"Until I see improvements in my own area, please tell me why me, my parents or anyone in our household should continue paying TAxes so that fashola can plant flowers in Lagos Island."
Corporates outfits on the island pay the majority of this tax u mentioned, so of cos it makes sense for them to feel the presence of government first. Continue to pay the tax and u can hold the govt to ransome if nothing is done, or just decide not to pay and see wetin go happen to u!! FOC major!!
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by rethink: 2:33pm On Nov 17, 2009
When there is power supply which is the hinderances of nigeria's development is we would see development in nigeria as never before. Your Senate should Amend decree 13 because that is what is holding Nigeria forward.

Decree 13 of 1972 (now an Act of the National Assembly), which vest the power to generate, transmit and distribute electricity exclusively in the Federal Government, must be reviewed as a matter of urgency
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by rethink: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2009
@yemmight

Dont worry yourself about people like phuck_NL and other Nairalander in the Negative team. We need them so that When Nigerian slowly but surely become Might again they will immediately switch sides.

The national Assembly is just dead but only God can save us from these people. It looks like they get away from almost everything. This is why Negativism doe not help us. i never knew until today that There is no one under the law that can

Generate
Transmit
Distibute Power.

Except the Federal government. That must change now.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by ettebobson: 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
We must always bring negativity into it. If you have evidence post if not, let the man savor his glory for being one Governor who understand Governance

I'm not downplaying Fashola's good work. i just dey broadcast wetin i hear ni.
, besides, i have a right to complain cos' i pay tax. in between, let him use some of that money and hasten work on the lekki-epe expressway. The slow pace of work is causing me heartaches
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by saworoide: 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2009
Up Fashola.

Fashola for president.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2009
Now this is what I like hearing. cool
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by naijatoday: 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2009
For a state like Lagos state N14bn is not much. After paying salary and servicing loans that are in the states books, not much is left

yemmight:

Development cannot go all round Lagos once.  You mentioned Lekki,VI Island.  But let me tell you these are the major places that bring money.  Any responsible governement will firstly spend money on places like before moving to other areas. Even at that, this is the first time I can see Local Govt repairing thier roads.  This man has mandated them in repairing certain number of roads yearly.  I m very sure it will go round.  Let us all try and encourage this man and his team.

Thank you, thank you.
For example, with limited resources which will you fix first a road where each  land on the street generates the government 10 million naira or one that generates the state 100 million Naira?
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by naijatoday: 2:59pm On Nov 17, 2009
ettebobson:

I'm not downplaying Fashola's good work. i just dey broadcast wetin i hear ni.
, besides, i have a right to complain cos' i pay tax. in between, let him use some of that money and hasten work on the lekki-epe expressway. The slow pace of work is causing me heartaches

Is the Lekki-epe not a private project?

When are they going to invite bids for 4th mainland bridge (i am guessing it is going to be a toll road)
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 17, 2009
Fashola is still a governor to beat in nigeria,generating taxes to finance governance in lagos state unlike those niger delta states waiting for federal allocation,,fashola should keep the pace & not listen to detractors even on nairaland.Eko o ní bajé ò
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by jaybee3(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2009
~Bluetooth:

Fashola is still a governor to beat in nigeria,generating taxes to finance governance in lagos state unlike those niger delta states waiting for federal allocation,,fashola should keep the pace & not listen to detractors even on nairaland.Eko o ní bajé ò
unfair comparison in terms of tax generation cos lagos have more inhabitants & business compared to 'em states in the region mentioned.
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by ZUBBYNWA(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2009
fashola fashola (superstory) dey try small small
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by VALIDATOR: 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2009
jay bee:

unfair comparison in terms of tax generation cos lagos have more inhabitants & business compared to 'em states in the region mentioned.

They said Kano has more inhabitants. So, how much tax does Kano generate I hope Kano Governor can tell us? At least we should be able to compare those two states.
Here's the math
Lagosian's montly "productivity" = 14 billion naira / 10million persons

= 1,400 naira per person

Kanoans montly "productivity" = ?? billion naira / 10million persons

=?? naira per person
Re: Lagos Generates N14b Tax Monthly –fashola by jaybee3(m): 3:38pm On Nov 17, 2009
VALIDATOR:

They said Kano has more inhabitants. So, how much tax does Kano generate I hope Kano Governor can tell us? At least we should be able to compare those two states.
Here's the math
Lagosian's montly "productivity" = 14 billion naira / 10million persons

= 1,400 naira per person

Kanoans montly "productivity" = ?? billion naira / 10million persons

=?? naira per person

r u for real?
well ma bad cos i should have explained in ma post that working class out of the million inhabitants.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NAICOM Approves Recapitalisation Plans Of 44 Insurance Companies, Rejects 6 / How To Tell If A Brahmin Bag Is Replica? / Gtbank Board Meets To Consider Q3'19 Financial Results, Announces Closed Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.