Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,345 members, 7,829,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori (15874 Views)

How House Of Rep. Speaker Yakubu Dogara Received $600,000 From Ibori – Jibrin / Jibrin: Dogara Must Account For The $600,000 He Collected From Ibori / UK Govt Demands £18m From Ibori Before He Can Return To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by DONSMITH123(m): 8:38am On Dec 22, 2016
Goodluck is in trouble should Ibori land in naija lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by UuzbaGuuzba: 8:40am On Dec 22, 2016
seunmsg:
He has done the time, they should release him and let him go. In common law, there should be an end to prosecution. Any attempt to continue to detain him is no longer justice but persecution. Even a convicted criminal who had done his time deserves justice.
Ok, Let's say for example that I stole your £10,000. And they caugth me and flogged me and put me in prison for 2 years. Meanwhile, you are still hungry looking for your £10,000, shey you will be happy when they free me from prison? Abi how does it work in Law?

1 Like

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Teejay6880: 8:41am On Dec 22, 2016
May God help us with this kind of so called leaders. Some day in the nearest future, the same man will want to contest presidency in NAIJA
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by ohismanuel: 8:43am On Dec 22, 2016
The only Governor delta state had
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 22, 2016
As much as I support your claim, I wish he is prosecuted further. That's quite a light sentence for the amount of people who died from misuse of funds and embezzlement by him.
seunmsg:
He has done the time, they should release him and let him go. In common law, there should be an end to prosecution. Any attempt to continue to detain him is no longer justice but persecution. Even a convicted criminal who had done his time deserves justice.

1 Like

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Almand: 8:54am On Dec 22, 2016
Sibrah:
^^Is Kanu under UK authorities?
As for Ibori, what a bad time to be deported back. Buhari will continue where UK stopped.
Buhari that is all bark no bite!!!
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Lasskeey: 8:58am On Dec 22, 2016
grin wink grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 22, 2016
AjayiWrites:
James Onanefe Ibori, former Delta state governor who was released from a UK prison today is still facing two obstacles before he can return to Nigeria.

He must face a deportation hearing and then also pay £18 million to the UK government as the “proceeds of crime.”The unresolved issues almost elongated Ibori’s incarceration, until a high court judge gave an order he should be released and that attempts to detain him were “quite extraordinary.”

Ordering Ibori to be immediately freed from prison, Mrs Justice May said: “You don’t hold someone just because it is convenient to do so and without plans to deport them.”

A Home Office application that Ibori be electronically tagged and subjected to strict curfew conditions was also rejected.

The judge accepted arguments that the home secretary was attempting to misuse her immigration and deportation powers.

Ibori, a former London store cashier, was jailed for fraud totalling nearly £50 million in April 2012.

He evaded capture in Nigeria after a mob of supporters attacked police but was arrested in Dubai in 2010 and extradited to the UK, where he was prosecuted based on evidence from the Metropolitan Police.

On Wednesday, the Home Office’s barrister said the government was concerned that Ibori might “frustrate confiscation proceedings” and wanted him kept in jail or subjected to strict controls on his movement.

But it emerged in court that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is pursuing the confiscation proceedings, was “neutral” about Ibori’s release and possible deportation.

Ian MacDonald, QC, representing Ibori, said: “The Secretary of State has taken it upon herself. There is no objection from (the CPS) for release.

“This is extraordinary”, Mrs Justice May said. They (the CPS) don’t care.

“Why doesn’t the Secretary of State just send him back?” she asked. “He wants to go. She wants him to go.”

The conviction of James Ibori followed a government anti-corruption campaign led by the Department for International Development (DfID) 10 years ago.

In court on Wednesday, Ibori’s barrister, Ivan Krolic, explained how another defendant in the fraud case had appealed against conviction on the grounds that “police officers in the investigations had been corrupt.”

“The Court of Appeal rejected that after counsel for the Crown indicated that there was nothing to support the allegation”, Mr Krolic explained.

Ordering Ibori’s release, Justice May said: “The Secretary of State appears to have taken it upon herself that Ibori does remain in this country, in apparent contradiction of the order served earlier this year to deport him.

“The position of the Secretary of State, as very candidly set out by Birdling (representing the home secretary), is that she accepts that there is an argument that she has no power to detain him.

“I have decided that the balance of convenience falls heavily in favour of his immediate release. I am not prepared to impose conditions involving tagging or curfews.”

The judge said the matter of Ibori’s deportation should be heard before the end of January.

Meanwhile, in Ibori’s hometown of Oghara, in Delta state, residents were eager to receive him back home.

Source:
http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2016/12/uk-govt-demands-18m-from-ibori.html

cc: Lalasticlala
and yet residents of his hometown are eager to receive him back..well I am not surprised cos they will always celebrate thieves.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by CIZAR(m): 8:59am On Dec 22, 2016
the UK government gets to earn 18m pounds, is it their money... let him pay the money to the Nigerian government..these western countries are really smart..

1 Like

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by almarthins(m): 9:13am On Dec 22, 2016
So, ibori is coming home to meet the king of terror himself, buhari. Well goodluck to oga ibori. That which the canker worm has remain, it is left to caterpillar to finish.

1 Like

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by effty(m): 9:20am On Dec 22, 2016
seunmsg:

They've not even been convicted, not to talk about paying for their crimes. They should both remain in custody until their cases are decided by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Their cases have been tried again and again.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by effty(m): 9:21am On Dec 22, 2016
seunmsg:

They've not even been convicted, not to talk about paying for their crimes. They should both remain in custody until their cases are decided by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Their cases have been tried again and again. The govt must pay #50million to Zazakky too
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 22, 2016
CIZAR:
the UK government gets to earn 18m pounds, is it their money... let him pay the money to the Nigerian government..these western countries are really smart..

Money was spent to kip him in prison, and they have to get it back, yes we know it's too much but since the Nigerian government could not do their Job then they have to be exploited. They cannot go through all this stress only to send the money to Nigeria na.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by symbianDON(m): 9:24am On Dec 22, 2016
Jakpon:
if £18M is prudently injected into the economy of Delta State, the State can be transformed to a Paradise on earth. £18M is just a tiny fraction of the loot James Ibori amassed for himself.
yet I keep hearing that ibori is the best thing that ever happened to delta state
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by awayeyebundle: 9:28am On Dec 22, 2016
They should release him...and let him go free...He has paid his due and served his term in jailed so under law he should be quited and let him go to his family..Nigerians stop nepotism and sentiment
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by 2shur: 9:49am On Dec 22, 2016
our chair.
dis was d niggi dah made ayiri imami who he is today.
i go see am for january for okere in wafi whr dem dey burry my uncle in january..
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by NobleG1(m): 9:53am On Dec 22, 2016
London please keep him there, Nigeria doesn't want him.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by heilige(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2016
Dem still want 18mill pounds ? No be our money be dat. See dem oyinbo thieves. Anyways send him back home to us, he still has a case to answer in nigeria. Magu dey wait for am
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by opmoore(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2016
BUHARI HOPE YOU ARE SEEING THINGS RULE OF LAW.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Image123(m): 11:05am On Dec 22, 2016
It's surprising that people think President Buhari would torment Ibori. That's laughable. Ibori controlled Delta state from prison. ND avengers is child's play compared to what they'll do if one hair of Ibori head is touched. The highest that can be done is a movie script where Ibori's case is in court for years like Saraki's. He may well contest for president or Senate in 2019. That's where we're at in this country.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by obailala(m): 11:47am On Dec 22, 2016
BlueWizAngel:

Money was spent to kip him in prison, and they have to get it back, yes we know it's too much but since the Nigerian government could not do their Job then they have to be exploited. They cannot go through all this stress only to send the money to Nigeria na.
We didnt be them to put him in prison, they did so out of their own free will. The individual stole money from Nigeria and was being chased by Nigerian authorities. He ran to Dubai, was caught by interpol, was extradited to the Uk and jailed in the UK for money laundering. Now the UK wants to claim a whooping £18 million from his loot; money which belongs to Delta state Nigeria. Once again I ask, 'did we beg them to jail him?... is it their money?'
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by AfroBlue(m): 12:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
the 18m fee is a slick protective measure to keep from extraditing him back to NG.

some/many of these obinyo countries are in cahoots with African looters.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Hokstrend: 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by ranktzy(m): 9:36pm On Dec 22, 2016
Lexusgs430:
This UK Government can steal by stealth. They have already worked out all his assets and want to inherit them.
Isn't the money suppose to be returned to its country of origin?
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 22, 2016
obailala:
We didnt be them to put him in prison, they did so out of their own free will. The individual stole money from Nigeria and was being chased by Nigerian authorities. He ran to Dubai, was caught by interpol, was extradited to the Uk and jailed in the UK for money laundering. Now the UK wants to claim a whooping £18 million from his loot; money which belongs to Delta state Nigeria. Once again I ask, 'did we beg them to jail him?... is it their money?'

LOL but you and I know that if Ibori was to be in Nigeria all along nothing would have happened to him. Na the price for stupidity nigeria dey pay so. Just check out how swiss is using us to do yeye in respect to the Abacha loots
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Demainman1: 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2016
globalresource:
Buhari awaits you in the banquet hall of aso rock

Ibori will join APC soon and all his sins will be forgiven. He will be buhari's pal.
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Lexusgs430: 1:01am On Dec 23, 2016
ranktzy:

Isn't the money suppose to be returned to its country of origin?

It should be, BUT...................
They want to indirectly charge for prosecution, feeding, housing etc etc etc Ibori for almost 5 years. Nothing like a free lunch, dinner or breakfast......
Re: UK Government Demands £18m From Ibori by Arjeeni: 1:13am On Dec 23, 2016
Hunnn fantastically corrupt UK.
Hahaha you he served a jail term and still asked to pay fine what for!
So, UK want this man come back to his country and beg the government to pay the fine......
I can see that Africa need to pull out of ICC..

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023 Presidency Fashola Can’t Decide Our Fate —ndigbo / Boko Haram Ceasefire: It’s Plot To Kill More Igbo –returnees / Rivers Crisis-NANS Gives FG 14days Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.