Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport (20269 Views)

Construction Of New Terminal At Murtala Mohammed Int'l Airport, Lagos / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) / Flood At Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos Lobby During Rainfall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2016
OP thanks for this info...check them out tomorrow.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ephi123(f): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
You have part of the blame for not checking it properly.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2016
Poverty shior
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tellwisdom: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Did you pay for the previous booking??
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Edenoscar(m): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Next time you shine your eyes
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by claremont(m): 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
obidevine:
ended up paying 105,000 naira for 4 nights stay in another  hotel, the lady printed out the document and handed it to us, we took it to the attendant and he granted us passage. I and my wife didn't look at the print out in Nigeria because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight ( it was when the hotel manager pointed out a couple of things  on the printout that we  realized to our dismay that the lady in Nigeria booked only one night for us after collecting money and claiming she booked 4 nights) , I and my wife were perplexed, we had to pay for another 4 nights . It's obvious that the Nigerian man working with Kenya airways that checked our documents at Muritala Mohammed airport  connived with the hotel booking agency to rip us off.

You paid N105,000, and neither you nor your wife could at least check the print-out receipt?! I find that hard to believe.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by obidevine(m): 9:54pm On Dec 22, 2016
tellwisdom:
Did you pay for the previous booking??

Which of the bookings?, if it's the one I forgot no I didn't pay for that I was supposed to pay when I get to the hotel
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by elhafeez(m): 9:55pm On Dec 22, 2016
I had thé same problem in Nigeria. They keep asking you for hôtel reservation and stuff. i told them thé embassy confirmed my reservation before they gave me visa. they keep telling you they will ask u when u get there and nobody asked. They just asked why i was there and i told the SA immigration guy. He even called me igwe and stamped my Passport.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by bebe2(f): 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
BlueWizAngel:
boss go and ask for your money jare, you should have evidence that the lady booked for one night instead of four nights

Yes
Go back the the desk with ur receipt '

Why we like to suffer for Nigeria? If Nigerian fall for pavement for London e go fight council collect compensation, but no matter how fellow Nigerian treat them they will never attempt to fight legally.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Iolo(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
@OP,

Traveling even for leisure is serious business and you should be more prepared next time by taking every document along. Those are normal protocols depending on the country you are visiting.

Besides, from your story it's not quite clear why you didn't just reprint your reservation from the earlier hotel you used to apply for visa rather than book a new hotel.

Simply go back to the desk and ask for a refund. You have evidence there was a mistake.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Rich4god(m): 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
I think those MMIA always try to rip pple off....
I could remember been stopped at the boarding pass check point cos the suit jacket I was carrying has a metallic hanger. she just pointed out that I need to buy something to wrap the hanger else they won't allow me into plane. just at that moment, some one brought a wrapping sheet selling at 1.5k. They thought I was still a novice with their prank...

Truth is, many people fall for their tricks especially first timer.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
For this kin recession,omo if na me sha..... anyways buy kulikuli as you dey come oh,although I would like a ps4 but either one will do.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by lonelydora: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2016
Pebcak:
grin shocked shocked

Lol. Meaning?
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by bebe2(f): 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2016
claremont:

You paid N105,000, and neither you nor your wife could at least check the print-out receipt?! I find that hard to believe.

U have never been late for a flight,

I once dashed all my food stuff to immigration, the gate was closing and they were still asking me why I carry crayfish. I just leave the thing for their table waka go checkin.

They were calling me to comeback, I didn't even look back, one cleaner came to tell me, madam Dem they call u, I just tell her say it's ok , I dash u the food stuff, she said , u mean am? I said yes , she thanked me and prayed for me and I left.

Not everyone has time for naija madness undecided

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by obidevine(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
bebe2:

U have been late for a flight,

I once dashed allmy food stuff to immigration, the gate was closing and they were still asking me why I carry crayfish. I just leave the thing for their table waka go checkin.

They were calling me to comeback, I didn't even look back, one cleaner came to tell me, madam Dem they call u, I just tell her say it's ok , I dash u the food stuff, she said , u mean am? I said yes , she thanked me and prayed for me and I left.

Not everyone has time for naija madness undecided

Thanks bro, you really understand what happened to me, I didn't has time to go through the document
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tellwisdom: 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
obidevine:

Which of the bookings?, if it's the one I forgot no I didn't pay for that I was supposed to pay when I get to the hotel

Keep the receipt and go get your balance upon your arrival.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by XaintJoel20: 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
curious123:
The way we treat each other is rather poor. Imagine being duped by ur country person. Poverty is trully bringing out d worst in people. Sorry for ur ordeal

It's not poverty, it's wickedness.
Sometimes I am forced to think if Lucifer is a Nigerian...
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by XaintJoel20: 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2016
takenadoh:
sorry for what happened.

But I think you were probably very careless and I personally don't see the scam in all of it, what if the hotel you stayed in was actually 105 k for the first night?

shocked

Did you read the report
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by pointstores(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2016
nigerians has being robbing each other to survive since independent naija jungle
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ikemesit4477: 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2016
ladyF:
It is well. I don't even know what to say. What people don't realise if you can't rip people off and go free. Karma is a real bittch.

The money you feel you made from someone else's misery, you'd end up using it to pay up your karmic debts in one way or another, either from treating terminal diseases or even much bigger losses in life.

Sadly, people never learn, always looking for means to get-rich-quick to the detriment of someone else.

It's LadyF again grin grin grin
lady F what's up long time!
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by iamawara(m): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
Eyyaaa. So sad

Hop u enjoyed ur stay in J'bourg....

But OP this recession no dey for ur end oh, my APC dondis will tell you why you dint visit Yankari Game reserve so that Nigeria will benefit from u.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
I bet that they went to church after scamming you and they paid tithe with part of your money. Rotten society we live in.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by appsintell: 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2016
The next thing they will say it's devil at work. ..first thing ..how on the heck would you forget your hotel reservation documents..isn't that the first things you put aside along with your passport. ..secondly again who doesn't verify info after payment is made. ...especially when traveling with your family where you want to make sure no errors is made so the family isn't stranded. ...my guy don't blame anyone but yourself and careless ness

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
tosyne2much:
That's the society we find ourselves

No it's the society we created for ourselves.. the society didn't magically become so evil. The people made it so

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ezeegolimited30(m): 10:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
dat rubbish only happens at MMA.is only in dat airport dat travelling wit virgin passports is a crime,nd if u don't bribe dem u may lose ur freight
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by apache77(m): 10:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
obidevine:
Hello nairalanders, I'd like you all  to read this my epistle on my bad experience with a travel / hotel  booking agency  in Muritala Mohammed international  Airport, Lagos , Nigeria.

I and my wife got a 3 months  visitor's visa to South Africa , our visas were granted after we had satisfied all their visa requirements ( with our hotel bookings and statement of account verified) .

On the day we were meant to travel, we got to the departure area of Kenya airways (the airline company we were meant to fly with), the airline attendants asked for a copy of our  hotel booking  and "yellow card",  to my surprise I and my wife forgot the print out of our hotel booking, but luckily we had our yellow cards.

The flight attendant told us that we couldn't go through without our hotel reservation, I told him that we got the visa because the south African Embassy had verified all our documents -hotel reservations included-  before granting us the visa , the attendant ( a nigerian) was adamant that without the reservation we couldn't go through, he even told us that even if he let's us pass that when we get to South Africa they would send us back because we didn't have evidence that we had a hotel reservation,  I thought to myself " which kain wahala be this sef".

A lady who  was standing beside called my wife aside and said she could help us book another hotel accommodation, she directed us to her desk just opposite where the airline attendant was harassing us, we had to cancel our former booking and eventually ended up paying 105,000 naira for 4 nights stay in another  hotel, the lady printed out the document and handed it to us, we took it to the attendant and he granted us passage.

When we eventually arrived Johannesburg, South Africa to our surprise they didn't even ask us for the hotel booking, they only checked our yellow cards , warmly welcomed us to their beautiful country and stamped us in , we found our way to the hotel they booked for us,  after showing the hotel manager ( who coincidentally is a Nigerian)  the booking print out  he looked at it and told us that the booking was only done for 1 night, I and my wife didn't look at the print out in Nigeria because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight ( it was when the hotel manager pointed out a couple of things  on the printout that we  realized to our dismay that the lady in Nigeria booked only one night for us after collecting money and claiming she booked 4 nights) , I and my wife were perplexed, we had to pay for another 4 nights . It's obvious that the Nigerian man working with Kenya airways that checked our documents at Muritala Mohammed airport  connived with the hotel booking agency to rip us off.

The reason I'm writing this is to bring to the fore the fact that this travel / hotel booking agency with their desk directly opposite Kenya airways departure section is a big scam ( they didn't even put their name on the receipt because they know they are a scam) the reason why we didn't scrutinize the printout like I said was because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight.  I really don't know why we ( Nigerians) like to be so cruel to ourselves. This should serve as a warning to all of us that we should always scrutinize receipts and other documents given to us. 

U r a very careless man, with an equally careless wife. More woe will befall u if u do not put ur acts together and pay more attention to detail. Thank God it was just money u lost now...not somwthing more important.

1. He was in hurry cos he probably came late for checkin
2.he forgot his hotel reservation- who does that. Then he pid for another one.who again, does that? You book and pay on arrival.
3. Oky, so u paid, and d few minutes, maybe 30at depature concourse, you dint check ur docs, on the 5 or 6 hr fligjt, u still didnt check d docs till u got to the hotel?

Oga u deserve slap
U can get your refund from the agency tho.involve avsec..aviation security or pilice

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by shehuolayinka(m): 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
Nigerians and scamming people. I wonder all this will stop.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tosyne2much(m): 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
obidevine:
Hello nairalanders, I'd like you all  to read this my epistle on my bad experience with a travel / hotel  booking agency  in Muritala Mohammed international  Airport, Lagos , Nigeria.

I and my wife got a 3 months  visitor's visa to South Africa , our visas were granted after we had satisfied all their visa requirements ( with our hotel bookings and statement of account verified) .

On the day we were meant to travel, we got to the departure area of Kenya airways (the airline company we were meant to fly with), the airline attendants asked for a copy of our  hotel booking  and "yellow card",  to my surprise I and my wife forgot the print out of our hotel booking, but luckily we had our yellow cards.

The flight attendant told us that we couldn't go through without our hotel reservation, I told him that we got the visa because the south African Embassy had verified all our documents -hotel reservations included-  before granting us the visa , the attendant ( a nigerian) was adamant that without the reservation we couldn't go through, he even told us that even if he let's us pass that when we get to South Africa they would send us back because we didn't have evidence that we had a hotel reservation,  I thought to myself " which kain wahala be this sef".

When we eventually arrived Johannesburg, South Africa to our surprise they didn't even ask us for the hotel booking, they only checked our yellow cards , warmly welcomed us to their beautiful country and stamped us in , we found our way to the hotel they booked for us,  after showing the hotel manager ( who coincidentally is a Nigerian)  the booking print out  he looked at it and told us that the booking was only done for 1 night, I and my wife didn't look at the print out in Nigeria because we were in a hurry not to miss our flight ( it was when the hotel manager pointed out a couple of things  on the printout that we  realized to our dismay that the lady in Nigeria booked only one night for us after collecting money and claiming she booked 4 nights) , I and my wife were perplexed, we had to pay for another 4 nights . It's obvious that the Nigerian man working with Kenya airways that checked our documents at Muritala Mohammed airport  connived with the hotel booking agency to rip us off.

You can sanction those thieves and get your refund.. No one can be trusted these days. Even some pastors scam their members. SMH
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by ladyF(f): 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2016
ikemesit4477:
lady F what's up long time!

Merry Christmas. kiss
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Hotel / Booking Agency At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tosyne2much(m): 10:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
soberdrunk:
Chai!!! Me soberdrunk!!!! I too trust myself, for this type of case, it is certain at least six people go collect slap!! See as i dey wish say This Op nah my brother and he callled me the day he arrived in SA and gave me this gist, walahi i wont even wear shoes or shirt drive reach airport! I remember the time one fastfood in Portharcourt sold me spoilt food one night, as i reach house wan chop after a long day chinese rice dey draw like say them mix am with okro, am sure the manager of that fastfood will "never" forget me! angry
Hope say u no break bottle on top the manager head sha? cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Establish National Carrier / What You Need To Do If You Get Lost In An Unfamiliar City In Nigeria / Car Bursts Into Flames On Lagos-ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.