Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants (1127 Views)

UI Students!!! Please I Need Your Attention!!! / University Of Ibadan's VC At Son's Convocation In US While UI Students Suffer / We Sleep In Darkness, Attend Classes Without Bathing – UI Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by sedulousQueen: 5:30pm On Dec 24, 2016
A group of postgraduate students of the Centre for Petroleum Energy Economics and Law, University of Ibadan set up an initiative called Project Reward Excellence (PRE) to empower outstanding students in off-grid communities and urban slums in Nigeria with solar reading lamps.
These are communities who do not have access to the national grid or electricity, thereby making it difficult for students to study.

The group’s first outing in July this year; was to schools in Ajegunle community (Lagos State) and subsequent visit to other off-grid rural communities to create awareness of clean and safe energy resources and use.
The high point of the team’s visit to the schools was the presentation of solar-powered reading lamps to the best student in each class.

In the cause of extending this humanitarian gesture to other rural communities and slums in Nigeria, the team applied for the Total-campus grant and was shortlisted for the next stage which is the online voting process. To scale through the next stage of the selection process, it is therefore necessary to succeed in the voting stage.

The CPEELSA-PRE team is the only Nigerian team in the Outreach category and therefore needs the vote of Nigerians to win.

STEPS TO VOTE

1)Click the voting link below
2)Submit your vote against CPEELSA - PRE
3)Enter a valid and functional email address
4)Confirm your vote through the link sent to your email address

Voting ends 23rd of January, 2017.

Please note that the 4 steps are necessary for your vote to count.

Voting link below:
https://www.total-campus.com/social-voting/cpeelsa-project-reward-excellence/

Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by manwonder: 8:13pm On Dec 24, 2016
The use of unsustainable sources of energy is a major challenge the world is facing. It takes a lot to generate even 1KW of electricity, not to talk of generating tens of thousands of megawatts which many countries need to power their economies, especially African countries in the sub-saharan region.

The importance of alternative sources of energy (which are cleaner, renewable and sustainable) cannot be overemphasized, and it is high time the Nigerian government started looking into this area with a view to investing in such sources of energy in order to drive national development.

It's good to know that a group of young postgraduate students of a Nigerian university are working towards providing solar reading lamps to brilliant students in communities that have no access to electricity. This, in my opinion, will improve their chances of excelling in their studies as much as (if not better than) their counterparts who have access to electricity would.

In other words, you guys are creating a level playing field for the future generation, regardless of their parents' economic and social status, such that they are not inhibited from taking on the challenges of the future as leaders of tomorrow.

Kudos to you guys, sedulousQueen! A cleaner and more sustainable source of energy like solar energy is the way to go! I have voted and confirmed my vote, and I hope you guys win!

Cheers!

P.S: Seun, omaj4,fynestboi, Lalasticlala, ishylove, and other mods, please help the OP and her team members move this to front page. This is a commendable project, and they need to win this for Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by Fidelismaria: 9:32pm On Dec 24, 2016
undecided

Why dint my skul tink of dis
Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by lumzy1(m): 9:42pm On Dec 24, 2016
I've voted. Success guys.

1 Like

Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by toludestin(f): 10:54pm On Dec 24, 2016
i have voted. Front page worthy. Seun, Lalastica and other mod this guys need our votes.

1 Like

Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by sedulousQueen: 1:38pm On Dec 25, 2016
Fidelismaria:
undecided

Why dint my skul tink of dis
lol, projects are funded annually, hope your school will apply next year
Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by sedulousQueen: 1:42pm On Dec 25, 2016
lumzy1:
I've voted. Success guys.

Thank you!
Re: Initiative Set Up By UI Students Shortlisted for Total-campus Grants by sedulousQueen: 1:44pm On Dec 25, 2016
toludestin:
i have voted. Front page worthy. Seun, Lalastica and other mod this guys need our votes.

Thanks for voting

(1) (Reply)

My Lecturer Won't Teach Me Because I Have Afro / Breaking News Oau Faculty Of Social Science Cut-off Marks 2017/20128 / Nigerian Boy Decides To Handle His Emotional Problem By Doing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.