Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,776 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? (806 Views)

Nigerian Banks Stop ATM Cash Withdrawal Abroad / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria / 5 Things You Must Know To Live Above The Current Recession. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by AroOkigbo(m): 4:57am On Dec 25, 2016
Bank customers across major cities in Nigeria, yesterday, continued to experience difficulties withdrawing money from Automated Teller Machines (ATM).
Signs of cash crisis in some banks have multiplied in the last few weeks, as bank customers complained of difficulties in withdrawing cash from the ATMs, forcing many of them getting cash across the counters.
Checks by Sunday Sun, yesterday, showed that the situation may have escalated further, as long queues and non- dispensing Automated Teller Machines were noticed in virtually all branches of banks visited by our correspondent in Lagos.
A bank customer, Daniel Wusu, who related his experience to Sunday Sun, said he left home as early as 7.00 am for an ATM point and did not return home until noon. “I visited several ATM points around Egbeda- Akowonjo and what I saw was frustrating. So many machines were not working. Where you manage to see any working, you have to grapple with long queue,” Wusu lamented.
Findings by Sunday Sun show that the situation was not different in virtually all states of the federation, including Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, as bank customers reportedly groaned over their inability to get cash.
Felix Iredia, another bank customer in Abuja told one of our correspondents that the situation was getting more disturbing as most ATMs were not dispensing. He said: “I think there is a major problem with some of these banks which they are trying to manage. I just hope they will succeed in managing the situation well. Granted that we are in festive period when people need more cash but the situation, to me, appears more challenging this year,” Iredia said. Speaking in a telephone interview with Sunday Sun, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, spokesperson of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN attributed the situation to festivity. “Today is 24th day of December. Tomorrow is Christmas and Monday is also a public holiday. So is it not logical that there will be queue everywhere? There will definitely be queues everywhere, he said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/bank-customers-lament-as-atm-cash-crisis-escalates/

What is the situation in your location?
Person go get money for bank, to collect am come be problem again. This country sef! lipsrsealed
We are not talking about the foreign dollars. ..but the local NAIRA!
Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by drimpeccable(m): 5:32am On Dec 25, 2016
The situation being witnessed in ATMs in most States across the country shows the failure of our institutions to constantly review the status quo with a view to perfecting the system. The question we should ask the CBN spokesman is: 'Is this the first yuletide or festive season we're experiencing?'

What measures have the Banks put in place to avoid a recurrence? Have they learnt anything from past experiences? I ask because it seems to me that the situation is worse this year.

It also goes a long way to show the disdain with which customers are treated in our country and I am not referring to only Banks or big corporations. The way sales persons in some local stores treat or speak with customers leaves much to be desired.

In all of this, where is the Consumer Protection Council? Sleeping as usual while Dstv, MTN and the rest of the corporate gang continually rapes Nigerians.
. ~Omo Oba
Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by shikshark: 6:27am On Dec 25, 2016
this is happening because someone somewhere does not like xmas....period
Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 25, 2016
I think queuing to get cash via an automated teller machine iis kinda overrated, we should embrace the use of cards for purchase/payments, POS cash back, one can iin same vein visit a business centre n via mobile money transfer this virtual cash to the cashier n get a physical cash equivalent.

#MyCandidOpinion

1 Like

Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by Teekrayne(m): 7:36am On Dec 25, 2016
For those that stayed with Ultimate Cycler during the upgrade till the end.... I salute your resilience, I admire your patience... I wanna use this platform to say a very big thank you to you all for believing in this scheme.... New cyclers now have access to the platform.... if you want to join my team... feel free, it's as active as ever... don't mind those who said you will be paired automatically once you join. I am not saying that you can't be paired automatically anyways... however, you can only be paired automatically if you join an active team that has enough spill overs to compensate new down lines. If you join an inactive team, am afraid you will have to refer before you get paid... for instance, when I joined the scheme weeks back, I was expecting my cash sooner than later... I waited for almost 2 weeks, only for me to be told by my sponsor that I needed to refer b4 I can start earning. I was mad at him because he didn't tell me the truth just because he wanted me to join his team. I was discouraged ab initio, but I summoned the courage and started referring. Today, I can boast of 3 different accounts on the platform, managing account on behalf of my down lines who are too busy, helping some of my down lines refer and so on.... you can hook me up for a detailed explanation even if you don't want to register with my team... I am more than ready to help in anyway..... 07032459226, 09056199259 and 08084241747... God bless you all
Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by ogawisdom(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2016
vimi:
I think queuing to get cash via an automated teller machine iis kinda overrated, we should embrace the use of cards for purchase/payments, POS cash back, one can iin same vein visit a business centre n via mobile money transfer this virtual cash to the cashier n get a physical cash equivalent.

#MyCandidOpinion

I agree with u, POS shld be made available to filling stations, super market, most biz

1 Like

Re: Why The Current ATM Cash Crisis? by Visionwriter: 4:22pm On Mar 28, 2017
vimi:

#MyCandidOpinion

True. POS has too many network issues. A mobile transfer would be a better way of doing things if the shop is willing to provide the funds. In fact we are testing an app that does the same thing, sorting shops by amounts they will have. This will help the industry while people get familiar with POS and the system becomes reliable.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Trade By Barter - Get Anything You Want By Barter / Flooring Training (abuja) / Makes Real Big Money This Season With Cashew Nut(profitable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.