Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A (1430 Views)

See What This Man Did To Save His Mum's Life / Nigerian Man Married To 57 Women,150 Grandchildren (Photo) / Photo: This Man Married These Two Beautiful Ladies Same Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by amebono1: 3:51pm On Nov 18, 2009
extraordinary scam was apparently executed by Jelili Adesanya while ministers turned a blind eye.

Mr Adesanya, 54, has lived here for more than 30 years and holds a British passport, but wanted his daughter, her husband and their four sons to join him from Nigeria.

He faked a wedding ceremony complete with a photograph of the happy 'couple' which helped fool immigration officials that his daughter, Karimotu Adenike, was really his wife.

Miss Adenike, who is in her mid-30s, was duly granted permission to live in the UK.

The pair are waiting for her to be granted a permanent right to remain before they undergo a quiet divorce and attempt to bring the rest of her family here.

It is expected she would try to remarry her real husband to get them all visas.
But despite being tipped off two years ago, the Home Office seems to have done nothing to stop the scam by one of their own workers.

Until recently, Mr Adesanya was employed as an occupational health nurse for the Home Office, working with immigration officials at Gatwick airport.

A whistleblower sent letters to the High Commission in Lagos and the UK Border Agency including specific details such as names, addresses, passport numbers and even a copy of the wedding photograph.
When there was no response, he sent emails to then Home Secretary Jacqui Smith and ministers Vernon Coaker and Phil Woolas on February 1 this year. He heard nothing.

Mr Adesanya, who came to Britain in 1976, flew back to Nigeria on May 29, 2007, and held the bogus wedding ceremony a few days later at a register office in Ikorodu, Lagos.

A source said: 'They paid people to attend the wedding so that the British High Commission in Lagos would believe it was genuine. The commission then gave Karimotu Adenike a two-year settlement visa in October 2007.

'On her settlement visa application form, of course, she did not mention that she already had a husband and four children.

'The date of birth on her Nigerian passport is not her real date of birth.'

Miss Adenike is believed to have aged herself by ten years on her wedding certificate to disguise the age gap with her father.

Although her settlement visa expired last month, she is hoping to be given the right to remain.

David Burrowes, the Conservative MP for Enfield Southgate and Shadow Justice Minister, was also tipped off by the whistleblower and wrote to the Home Office.

This time there was a reply, but it said that although the matter was 'under investigation', no further information would be provided because it could 'breach of our obligations under the Data Protection Act'.

Mr Burrowes told the Mail: 'I am very surprised and concerned that no action appears to have been taken, because the allegations are extremely serious.'

Mr Adesanya, who lives with his daughter in Dagenham, Essex, vehemently denied the plot and said he had never been questioned about the allegations.

He said: 'Married my own daughter? I have never heard anything like this in my life. I deny it. She is my wife, not my daughter.'

However, asked to confirm his 'wife's' date of birth, he said he did not know without checking her passport, and refused to allow her to speak for herself.

Unbeknown to him, his daughter had confirmed the arrangement when she told a friend she would shortly apply for her own British passport and 'divorce daddy'.

Last night Jonathan Sedgwick, from the UK Border Agency, said: 'These individuals are already under investigation, and I want to make it clear that abuse of our immigration laws will not be tolerated.

'If we identify marriages which we believe are not genuine, we will challenge them and prosecute where appropriate.

'We are determined to send home any foreign nationals convicted of these types of crimes once they have served their sentence

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=10603&z=12

1 Like

Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by mamagee3(f): 3:52pm On Nov 18, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Caringpro(f): 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2009
Shame to our Poliical class for making Nigerians subject themselves to these kinds of madness just because they want to leave Nigeria at all cost!
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by iice(f): 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2009
Ewww
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by chrisj2(m): 6:16pm On Nov 18, 2009
Big deal!

He is not exactly carrying on with his daughter. But if he had been in the UK for so long; where were the children born. He must have been 26 yrs old when he came to the UK and I'm sure he could have got his children citizenship in other ways,

The story is not altogether complete - on wonder the Home Office is not that bothered. Typical of the Daily Mail.

So, it is a Scam, so damn what? The Brits spent a lot of their time and energy scamming the rest of the world in all sorts of ways. It is pay-back time! At least as far as Immigration goes (my opinion on immigration- not money fraud)
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Hauwa1: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2009
chris_j:

Big deal!

He is not exactly carrying on with his daughter. But if he had been in the UK for so long; where were the children born. He must have been 26 yrs old when he came to the UK and I'm sure he could have got his children citizenship in other ways,

The story is not altogether complete - on wonder the Home Office is not that bothered. Typical of the Daily Mail.

So, it is a Scam, so damn what? The Brits spent a lot of their time and energy scamming the rest of the world in all sorts of ways. It is pay-back time! At least as far as Immigration goes (my opinion on immigration- not money fraud)

Really? i have heard of siblings doing the same, it is a shameful thing imo. imagine going to immigration interview and they ask you to kiss your wife to show she is truly your wife, or ask what is the color of her pant etc, really ewwwwww

1 Like

Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Fhemmmy: 8:02pm On Nov 18, 2009
This is serious and pathetic.
All in the name of papers?
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by coolier(f): 8:50pm On Nov 18, 2009
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by ubiaa5(f): 9:38pm On Nov 18, 2009
same old naija scam.
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Fhemmmy: 10:14pm On Nov 18, 2009
ubiaa5:

same old naija scam.

Well, i think this is a different level.
Marrying your own daughter all in the name of a visa and a stay in a foreign nation?
Such man will sleep with his kids if his permanent residency depends on it.
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by chrisj2(m): 10:34pm On Nov 18, 2009
Lets leave the father-daughter part to one side. The alleged daughter is in her mid 30s (34 or 35) and the man is 56. And he has been in the UK since 1976. So, he was like 21 when he had his daughter to another Nigerian woman? There is more to the story.

Do they ask people to kiss their partner to prove they are married shocked Nah!
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Fhemmmy: 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2009
Ofcouse, they will do the "Now you may kiss the bride"
Cheeeiiiiiii and the father will now kiss the daughter?
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Ndipe(m): 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2009
Totally wrong, like a poster asked, if he were to sleep with her for permanent residency, would he? That fake marriage stuff, I no fit do am at all. Just recently, one guy approached me and asked me about doing business of "marrying" girls in Naija to bring them over to America. I just told him that Marriage is a honorable institution ordained by God and I aint gonna abuse it. Some years back, one guys proposed a similar idea to me, that I could 'marry' my sister to bring her over to America. You can guess that my answer is no. Coming to America is not a do or die affair.
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by lokobanty(m): 11:32pm On Nov 18, 2009
amebo1 ,no be evry body no say no be do or die affiars now ,some peple no believe say den fit make in niger well nah our country cause am sha
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Fhemmmy: 2:23am On Nov 19, 2009
lokobanty:

amebo1 ,no be evry body no say no be do or die affiars now ,some peple no believe say den fit make in niger well nah our country cause am sha

i beg to disagree Sir.
Nigeria is this and that and all more, i agree, but to now marry your own daughter cos of paper and tell me Nigeria is to be blamed, that is nonsensical
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Ndipe(m): 2:38am On Nov 19, 2009
lokobanty:

amebo1 ,no be evry body no say no be do or die affiars now ,some peple no believe say den fit make in niger[b] well nah our country cause am sha[/b]

Flimsy 'excuse' It's the same reason people might use to justify the increase of human trafficking/kidnapping in Nigeria.
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
Caringpro:

Shame to our Poliical class for making Nigerians subject themselves to these kinds of madness just because they want to leave Nigeria at all cost!

Every adult has to take personal responsibility for his own actions. In this case the guy was, for reasons best known to him, not ready to follow laid down procedures in helping to get his daughter a visa.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with government officials but rather his own tendency or affinity towards taking short-cuts.
Re: This Man Married His Own Daughter So She Would Be Allowed To Stay In Britain - A by Lolladey(f): 8:46pm On Dec 14, 2009
They have the same features but still the story sounds incredible.

(1) (Reply)

What Are Mine Now , A Single Mum ? / Attn Kanwuilia: Five Siblings Marry On Same Day! / 7 Tips For Reviving Your Sex Life After Having A Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.