Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Help With Fingerprint Verification - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help With Fingerprint Verification (1573 Views)

Two Step Verification Or Authentication Using Sms Api (tutorial) / PHP With Fingerprint Scanner / Fingerprint Programming In ASP.NET (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Fingerprint Verification by fatezy(m): 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2009
hi, i'm trying to develop a web application using asp.net and mssql,
i want a user to log in using fingerprint. pls help as I dnt even know where to start from
a sample code to store fingerprints in the database, read the fingerprints and compare to verify would be highly appreciated
thanks.
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2009
If I may ask, why fingerprint verification?
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by logica(m): 4:35pm On Nov 18, 2009
Here is what you will need:

1. An input device that scans the finger-print and passes the captured print to the application.
2. A finger-print sample for each authorized user to which to match the input from 1 (stored in a database table).
3. A pattern recognition library to perform the match operation in 2.

Maybe by the time you think about what you need to do this, you'll appreciate how much work you have ahead of you.
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by candylips(m): 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2009
lol
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Beaf: 10:34pm On Nov 18, 2009
Why would you want to log into a web application by fingerprint?
Except you're talking of an intranet where everyone has a fingerprint scanner hooked up to the network, your project is a non-starter.

Who wants to send something as personal as their fingerprint over HTTP (any protocol for that matter)?
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by sayhi2ay(m): 10:44pm On Nov 18, 2009
there are so many ways to break into a web application. If you are not familiar with these hacks, your purpose of having a finger-print authorization is defeated.
you'd need to worry about securing your database, hardware, protocols and the likes.
if you wish to continue on your development however, research more on biometric applications
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Jeovy(m): 1:04pm On Nov 19, 2009
I don't think this is for security reasons alone
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by fatezy(m): 10:18am On Nov 21, 2009
thnks all, 1nt 2 hlp a frnd develop an e-voting s/w for his final yr project & tot incoporatin fingerprint wld b cool
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Beaf: 3:28pm On Nov 23, 2009
fatezy:

thnks all, 1nt 2 hlp a frnd develop an e-voting s/w for his final yr project & tot incoporatin fingerprint wld b cool

You need face recognition, not fingerprint. Face recognition is the worldwide standard for e-voting. If you are coding in C# and WPF I can give some help (well a great deal really).
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by sayhi2ay(m): 3:48pm On Nov 23, 2009
Beaf:

You need face recognition, not fingerprint. Face recognition is the worldwide standard for e-voting. If you are coding in C# and WPF I can give some help (well a great deal really).

face recognition for e-voting In what country is it a standard ?
Which even makes more sense? fingerprint or face recognition ?
funny idea really, the fact that its e-voting doesn't mean you have to be physically present to vote. If you are voting via telephone, how do you perform a facial recognition for that exercise ?
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Beaf: 5:24pm On Nov 23, 2009
sayhi2ay:

face recognition for e-voting In what country is it a standard ?
Which even makes more sense? fingerprint or face recognition ?
funny idea really, the fact that its e-voting doesn't mean you have to be physically present to vote. If you are voting via telephone, how do you perform a facial recognition for that exercise ?

Charlie, don't bring yourself out na. embarassed
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Kobojunkie: 3:33am On Nov 24, 2009
Lol . . . . don't know of Finger printing for e-voting either. I mean I can attest to the fact that finger printing is used in some places at voting boots and not facial recognition here.
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Beaf: 5:00am On Nov 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Lol . . . . don't know of Finger printing for e-voting either. I mean I can attest to the fact that finger printing is used in some places at voting boots and not facial recognition here.

Don't mind me jare.
But it really is becoming the standard (especially with the advent of 3D detection). You might do your normal fingerprinting, but never notice the camera. It has used extensively and very successfuly to cut out fingerprint manipulation in passports, drivers licenses, elections etc. If you have ever been asked for a picture ID (the don't smile or look sideways type), you now know what it was for.

For the purpose of fatezy's project, it should be relatively cheap to set up with a cheap webcam. Source code for 3D and other face recognition techniques is widely available on the web for download in various languages.
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by Kobojunkie: 5:10am On Nov 24, 2009
It is still not as widely used as fingerprinting technology when it comes to identification purposes. Fingerprinting in use for identification purposes is hard to find in most of northern america as it is in Nigeria. I was taken aback when I discovered that some schools in Nigeria use finger prints for grade school identification. Something that is considered a NO-NO in most all states out here. I know it is used in the UK but still with much resistance.

I am assuming this is some class project and not necessarily intended for commercial.
Re: Help With Fingerprint Verification by sayhi2ay(m): 3:33pm On Nov 24, 2009
yea, lol, the idea wont fly in the US.

We could have taken advantage of this when we were all made to do a fingerprint during the national ID card scheme, and we all did it willingly. Imagine how the fingerprint database would have helped towards the nation's security. I mean we practically got the citizens' fingerprint on a platter of gold and mismanaged that asset. God is a merciful God sha (for those who defrauded that project). It would be difficult to implement now that people are wiser.

(1) (Reply)

Web Design Video Tutorials And Textbooks / Why Always Web. / Get Your Web And Android Tutorial Videos @ Rivers/Port Hacourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.