Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,062 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants (9238 Views)

Civil Servants’ April Salary May Be Delayed / Fulani Herdsmen Killings An Invitation For Civil War - Benue APC Chairman / Obiano Packages 10kg Rice As 25 Kg For Civil Servants - Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by divinehand2003(m): 4:52am On Dec 26, 2016
The recent launch by the Federal Government of a N1.3 billion refinancing loan to meet civil servants’ housing needs is a welcome development. It is a laudable step towards bridging the nation’s huge housing deficit.

Though far short of the estimated 17 million housing units required, the announcement that 5,635 civil servants will be in the first batch of beneficiaries of the scheme indicates that the first few steps are being taken towards bridging the housing gap.

Unveiling details of the scheme in Abuja last week, Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, explained that the refinancing loan is in collaboration with the Nigerian Mortgage Refinancing Company (NMRC). The scheme, she said, will be open to local and foreign investors through the Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement under the Federal Integrated Staff Housing (FISH) programme of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.

She added that the scheme would be partly financed through the N40 billion earmarked by the Federal Government in the 2016 Appropriation Act to address housing challenges. She described the scheme as a “financing solution that will bring money from the private sector, pension and insurance funds, multilateral and international agencies to drive an intervention in the areas of development finance and mortgage provision.”

While we consider this scheme a step in the right direction, government must demonstrate utmost sincerity of purpose in driving it, for it to have a beneficial impact on the target group. Considering the importance attached to housing globally, it is sad that Nigeria’s housing profile since independence, and indeed, since the present democratic dispensation, leaves much to be desired. Successive governments, at the states and the centre, have failed to attend to this basic need of our people, despite their many promises during political campaigns.

Shelter is not only a basic need of life,  housing is codified as a human right in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Yet, according to World Bank statistics, Nigeria is in deficit of 17 million housing units.

The bigger problem is the political will and funding to close the 17m housing gap. According to the World Bank, the Federal Government will need about N59.5 trillion to bridge this gap. Therefore, in order to avoid the problems of previous housing intervention schemes, it is necessary to make funding more accessible to civil servants at low interest rates. All impediments to the construction of houses in Nigeria, including high cost of land, should be removed. This will require a comprehensive review of the Land Use Act.

We remind all the partners in the refinancing loan, especially the FMBN, of their critical roles in making cheap loan windows available to drive the scheme to success. We say this because affordable housing means housing with associated financial costs that do not threaten other basic human needs.

In that regard, the government should take appropriate steps to ensure that housing costs are proportionate to overall income levels. They should set up subsidies for workers who are unable to acquire affordable housing and protect tenants against unreasonable rent increases as is currently the case in many states.

We advise the National Assembly to review the nation’s mortgage financing system. At present, Nigeria’s mortgage finance (as a share of the Gross Domestic Product) is very low. It is an abysmal 0.5 percent, compared with 80 percent in the United Kingdom, 77 percent in the USA, 31 percent in South Africa and two percent in Ghana. Nigeria’s housing and construction sector accounts for only 3.1 percent of the nation’s GDP. Statistics show that housing production is at 100,000 units per year, while 800,000 units are needed annually.  Besides these obstacles to home ownership, Nigerians face a daily struggle with poverty, unemployment, lack of access to potable water and Low Human Development Index (HDI).

Altogether, we reiterate that overcoming the nation’s housing deficit needs a comprehensive approach that must be in line with best practices. The citizens must, of necessity, have easy access to affordable housing that they can pay for over a reasonable length of time.  Although section 14(2) of the National Housing Fund (NHF) Act of 1992 stipulates that a contributor to the NHF can access a loan from the fund for the purpose of building, purchasing or renovating existing homes/houses, the processes for taking advantage of this loan window is tedious.

With interest rates charged by banks as high as 30 percent, and that by mortgage banks between 20 and 28 percent, it will be difficult for most Nigerians to build their own houses. We hope these high rates will not frustrate the present efforts to deliver affordable housing to civil servants and millions of other Nigerians.

http://sunnewsonline.com/the-n1-3bn-mortgage-loan-for-civil-servants/

1 Share

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Toosure70: 5:48am On Dec 26, 2016
tried of promise

4 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Toosure70: 5:48am On Dec 26, 2016
tired of promise

2 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by deji47: 6:23am On Dec 26, 2016
Can the CBN tell us the liquidity status of Primary Mortgage Institutes(PMI). At least I know of one in which you cannot even withdraw from your savings due to liquidity issue of the bank. They are even owing their staff salaries and the issue is somehow out of the news.
A lot of people are presently defaulting on their mortgage payment due to the harsh economy, loss of jobs and mainly drop in earning(salary power). They would rather pay for food, transportation, school fees first than their mortgage bills. This in turn affects the PMIs.
How many civil servants can afford to take a loan now with what they are earning? The little savings they made monthly, has been eroded with the increase in cost of living.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Atiku2019: 6:32am On Dec 26, 2016
That's Nice smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Cekpo34(m): 6:43am On Dec 26, 2016
This loan is strictly based on surname, connections to surnames and recommendations from surnames

7 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Yannny: 8:26am On Dec 26, 2016
THE PERSON ABOVE ME IS A MIND-READER Posted what was in my mind...

Well, Happy Boxing Day To You All!!!

1 Like

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by chimah3(m): 8:26am On Dec 26, 2016
Scam

3 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by JonesH(f): 8:28am On Dec 26, 2016
I hope it gets better o the real civil servants
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by takenadoh: 8:28am On Dec 26, 2016
The MODS put me on a ban, wondering what they get from all of this, maybe I should boycott NL for a week.
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by siralos135: 8:28am On Dec 26, 2016
Seen
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Nutase: 8:28am On Dec 26, 2016
Scam

1 Like

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Daniel058(m): 8:29am On Dec 26, 2016
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by ademega(m): 8:29am On Dec 26, 2016
Good
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 26, 2016
lol. see them. Lying liers. Na only ontop paper and news we dey hear am. Its been a year my colleague collected the NHF form and submitted it in UCH, Till now, No Show. awon scammer oshi.

4 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Monalisa185(f): 8:29am On Dec 26, 2016
lemme goan boil one cup of rice so that I can finish my remaining christmas stew cheesycheesy
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by tuoyoojo(m): 8:34am On Dec 26, 2016
hope it works out
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by blackpanda: 8:36am On Dec 26, 2016
Finally!
Civil servants really need this. They are the only ones forced to contribute to NHF for decades but wit nothing to show for it.

2 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by naijalien: 8:42am On Dec 26, 2016
Stop this propaganda please. This is all hogwash. For a president that has not considered the need for a board for the fmbn two years after taking over talking about providing affordable housing for Nigerians, I think must have his priorities on its head. That is the start point. Nothing else will work as far as affordable housing provision is concerned.

3 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by alsudaes1(m): 8:43am On Dec 26, 2016
The quetsion is:

At what Interest Rate

2 Likes

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by holluphemydavid(m): 8:44am On Dec 26, 2016
Monalisa185:
lemme goan boil one cup of rice so that I can finish my remaining christmas stew cheesycheesy
Lol make I follow u come chop am nau
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by SexyNairalander: 8:46am On Dec 26, 2016
booked

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by realGURU(m): 8:51am On Dec 26, 2016
sai buhari 2019 check my signature for this laptop @ 118k

1 Like

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by seguno2: 9:18am On Dec 26, 2016
JonesH:
I hope it gets better o the real civil servants

How much is the salary of any civil servant based on the N18,000 minimum wage to buy any of the houses being sold on mortgage?
Why do we like deceiving ourselves?
Why?

1 Like

Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Boyooosa(m): 9:22am On Dec 26, 2016
Bravo! Post of the moment.
But @op, why u no com put the Author's name?

"While we consider this scheme a step in the right direction, government must demonstrate utmost sincerity of purpose in driving it, for it to have a beneficial impact on the target group".

"Shelter is not only a basic need of life, housing is codified as a human right in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights."

"the processes for taking advantage of this loan window is tedious."

Highlighted Points:
1. Sincerity, we all know the dictionary meaning of Sincerity, I dont need much GEESI there. However, I like to state that the govt needs to start building trust with the citizens because of their LOST GLORY!
2. Human Right, outside the fact that it is a TRUTH TO BE TOLD, it is also reasonable for any reasonable leader to archive this point. #MaitaimaAsokoroWastedHomes
3. Tedious, most disheartening and discouraging factors of all. At a point in time, a friend of mine said to me; 'Dont even go there because #ITWONTWERK grin
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by mrvitalis(m): 9:56am On Dec 26, 2016
seguno2:

How much is the salary of any civil servant based on the N18,000 minimum wage to buy any of the houses being sold on mortgage?
Why do we like deceiving ourselves?
Why?
Do you even understand what minimum wage is??

Who's civil servant earns 18000?? And if ur 40 and still below level 8 who's to blame? ? Am sure level 7 earns above 60k. . Stop posting what u dont know
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by seguno2: 10:21am On Dec 26, 2016
mrvitalis:

Do you even understand what minimum wage is??

Who's civil servant earns 18000?? And if ur 40 and still below level 8 who's to blame? ? Am sure level 7 earns above 60k. . Stop posting what u dont know

60k with how many children and wife to afford mortgage payment on house of how much?
I am waiting for your reply.
Thanks
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by mrvitalis(m): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2016
seguno2:

60k with how many children and wife to afford mortgage payment on house of how much?
I am waiting for your reply.
Thanks

If ur on level 7 and decide to marry who's to blame . . And decide to marry a non working class lady who's to blame for ur woo
Re: The N1.3bn Mortgage Loan For Civil Servants by Monalisa185(f): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2016
holluphemydavid:

Lol make I follow u come chop am nau

hehehe, you come late small, e Don finish tonguetongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-Governor Timipre Sylva Goes Into Hiding! / [picture] Baby Mama Sexually Assault's Ice Prince's Son On Birthday / Kachikwu: Subsidy Removal To Save N16.4bn Monthly For Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.