Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? (25986 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by bebe2(f): 3:32pm On Dec 26, 2016
FranksOha:
Prayer is the master key

shocked

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by bookface: 3:34pm On Dec 26, 2016
You need to start making deals that undercut him.

a) Whenever he sends you to a job, get to know who is who within the business. Tell them that you could do the work for 30% less than what your company is charging them. You can offer additional incentives like discounts for referral, training for staff, software updates etc.

b) Get as many of his business contacts as possible - and build a network as big as you can

c) Once your network is big enough and you are sure that his clients are willing to do business with you directly, resign your job

d) Set up your own company and compete with him for his customers.

You need to show him why you deserve to be treated better. Don't just sit back and moan as a victim, remember it is a dog eat dog world. Nobody likes you! You are the brains behind his business and you deserve a lot more than what he is currently giving you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 26, 2016

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by moralex(m): 3:37pm On Dec 26, 2016
The problem is that you gave yourself too cheaply to him, next time don't start a new job without proper agreement and documentation

4 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by kode12: 3:40pm On Dec 26, 2016
that's why I tell people always network on the job,never burn your bridges no matter what. just better yourself,create good network for yourself and when issh like this comes up reach out to your network. truth is,give your all where ever you are and allow the forces of life work the rest. trust me karma comes for us all.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by wellmax(m): 3:40pm On Dec 26, 2016
Ehen, so after all I'd done for you, you are not appreciative. To add salt to injury, yovre brinug my case to nairaland.
Just make sure I don't see you inny office again.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by princeonx: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2016
Look at what you yourself dey do us! How much are you paying us to read all that stories?

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by ruggedadventure(m): 3:43pm On Dec 26, 2016
pappy4real:
This might be long but please read to the end and offer advice. Good morning folks, a merry Christmas to you all.
I've been thinking a lot about what I can do about the current situation I'm facing.
For starters, in 2014 I was working with a popular liquor factory in sango ota as a contract staff. There, I earned guaranteed minimum wage of 18k but always boost that up to between 32k and 36k monthly with over time. I got daily meal vouchers worth #520, free transport to and fro with end of the month allocation of our products.
The job was difficult but it was doable plus the promise of being staffed was present.
In January of 2015, my aunt from lagos asked me to quit the job as she felt she could get me a better offer with her tenant who is into IT since I'm computer literate and very intelligent with an OND result.
She believes in me that I deserve better than waste away by drinking my life away in a liquor production environment.
I agreed with her and she took me to her tenant who fixed an appointment for me for an interview.
I attended the interview and afterwards the man asked me to start work the following month which was February.
February came and when I was supposed to resume, I called him and he asked me to resume the following week as he wasn't around.
In a nutshell, I resumed on the 9th o February 2015. It was a hospital in lekki. My boss designs medical software and I have to resume in any location where there's job.
I waited endlessly for an appointment letter, I'D card, remuneration bargain and other binding documents.
Need I say that I'm still waiting for all of that till date even though it's almost 2yrs already.
End of February came and while we were there, he sent me on an errand and said something like, let me look for something for you for the month.
Before I returned from the errand I received an alert of 40k from him. I thought that was because I didn't start working from the beginning of the month.
I accepted gladly and hoped for improvement subsequently but till date nothing has happened.
I tried coping with the job and I had to leave my residence (which was my church) in sango for my family house in shogunle.
Logistics was Killing my pay but I tried hard to cope against all odds.
Later on we had a job at NNPC mosimi shagamu and on getting there, after showing us what to do, my boss paid for weekly accommodation there and nothing more. This means my colleague and i had to resume at shagamu on Mondays and leave on Fridays without any form of compensation whatsoever.
I still coped cos I liked the environment.
After a few months of working in sagamu, my boss transferred me back to lagos but this time to falomo police hospital. Still no compensation for logistics at all.
I finished the job in falomo at record time and was moved to ikeja police college. That was a relief to me cos it's much closer to my house.
I did a good job there too and was moved back to mosimi shagamu but this time he didn't provide accommodation so he paid to and fro transportation fare and nothing more.
He later moved me to another private hospital in arowojobe estate of Maryland with no provisions at all.
The laptop I was working with developed a certain issue and I informed him. He didn't replace it till date.
After sometime he complained that my colleague and I were being idle and he couldn't continue to keep us when there are jobs to do outside lagos.
I reminded him of dynamism and my ability to speak English, yoruba and hausa fluently.
He then concluded that we should resume at jaja clinic UI ibadan from the next day which was in october.
Apart from accommodation and transportation he still didn't provide any other allowance for us.
The last straw that broke the camel's back was when he said our next stop was kaduna.
I asked him severally what the nature of job I kaduna would be like but he constantly declined answers until we got to kaduna. Need I say that he flew to kaduna while we were confined to a 16hrs road trip to kaduna.
On getting to kaduna very late on the 7th of November I called my boss severally but to no avail. He later called and asked me to pay our hotel bill for the night and he'll reimburse me.
Before 7am, he knocked the hotel room, handed me the money for the room and left.
Now my question is, since he didn't make any arrangements or provisions for us before leaving lagos, what would have happened if I hadn't left lagos with up to 6k?
On getting to national eye centre kaduna the next day and seeing how large and long our job would be there, he made arrangements with the locals to give us accommodation in one of the hospital's lodges.
He gave us a #600 per day lodge which I later found out the original cost was #200 per day. Th inhumane conditions we had to cope with in that lodge is story for another day.
After 3days in the lodge, with cost of feeding so high and my resources almost completely drained, my colleague and I decided to reason with my boss that it would be more economical to buy stuff and prepare meals.
He agreed with us and when he was leaving that weekend he gave us 8k to buy stove, pots, plates and food stuff.
We managed and bought some things, but colleague and I added our personal money to buy food stuff.
The following weekend we went short on resources so my colleague mailed him to inform him but then his response was jaw dropping.
He responded that he regretted assisting us with the 8k stating that it's not his obligation to cater for our logistics.
I became furious and sent him a mail stating that I wasn't ready to add hunger to the harsh conditions I was contending with already up north and he replied me that by the end of November he'll send our tfare back to lagos.
He sent 14k to us and tfare was 15k. He didn't pay me my November salary until the 16th. In his mail, he asked me to await his instructions on arrival to lagos but he hasn't even called or messaged me since my arrival from kaduna on the 1st of December.
I decided never to reach out to him but after multiple pleas from friends and folks, I mailed him and he hasn't replied.
I've not been paid for December and being someone with multiple obligations I'm trying hard not to take any irrational decision.
Please friends and family need your advice.
All comments would be appreciated.
Please pardon any errors, it could be due to auto-correct
Bro, can you call me I have to discuss something with you..... 08059624521

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Solowande(m): 3:46pm On Dec 26, 2016
The handwriting is written clear on the wall dat he didn't need ur services again
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by whyx06(m): 3:54pm On Dec 26, 2016
Be patient
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Babysheart(f): 3:54pm On Dec 26, 2016
I suffered the same kind of humiliation once. I summoned the courage to leave and left at the. end of the year. 3 months later I got a job that paid me 5 times what he was paying with free accommodation, a company bus and feeding allowances.

6 months later, former boss called and 'ordered' me to go resume at a new location with the mindset that I was hopeless and jobless. I simply told him to go and look for people he could use and abuse. His company folded the same month.

move on.

8 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by iamharkinwaley: 3:58pm On Dec 26, 2016
Latty88:

Why didn't you apply as an IT support staff in one of the hospitals your boss worked for?
Ode y will u quote everything?
don't you have initiatives?

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Smyblueboy(m): 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2016
pappy4real:
This might be long but please read to the end and offer advice. Good morning folks, a merry Christmas to you all.
I've been thinking a lot about what I can do about the current situation I'm facing.
For starters, in 2014 I was working with a popular liquor factory in sango ota as a contract staff. There, I earned guaranteed minimum wage of 18k but always boost that up to between 32k and 36k monthly with over time. I got daily meal vouchers worth #520, free transport to and fro with end of the month allocation of our products.
The job was difficult but it was doable plus the promise of being staffed was present.
In January of 2015, my aunt from lagos asked me to quit the job as she felt she could get me a better offer with her tenant who is into IT since I'm computer literate and very intelligent with an OND result.
She believes in me that I deserve better than waste away by drinking my life away in a liquor production environment.
I agreed with her and she took me to her tenant who fixed an appointment for me for an interview.
I attended the interview and afterwards the man asked me to start work the following month which was February.
February came and when I was supposed to resume, I called him and he asked me to resume the following week as he wasn't around.
In a nutshell, I resumed on the 9th o February 2015. It was a hospital in lekki. My boss designs medical software and I have to resume in any location where there's job.
I waited endlessly for an appointment letter, I'D card, remuneration bargain and other binding documents.
Need I say that I'm still waiting for all of that till date even though it's almost 2yrs already.
End of February came and while we were there, he sent me on an errand and said something like, let me look for something for you for the month.
Before I returned from the errand I received an alert of 40k from him. I thought that was because I didn't start working from the beginning of the month.
I accepted gladly and hoped for improvement subsequently but till date nothing has happened.
I tried coping with the job and I had to leave my residence (which was my church) in sango for my family house in shogunle.
Later on we had a job at NNPC mosimi shagamu and on getting there, after showing us what to do, my boss paid for weekly accommodation there and nothing more. This means my colleague and i had to resume at shagamu on Mondays and leave on Fridays without any form of compensation whatsoever.
After a few months of working in sagamu, my boss transferred me back to lagos but this time to falomo police hospital. Still no compensation for logistics at all.
I finished the job in falomo at record time and was moved to ikeja police college. That was a relief to me cos it's much closer to my house.
I did a good job there too and was moved back to mosimi shagamu but this time he didn't provide accommodation so he paid to and fro transportation fare and nothing more.
He later moved me to another private hospital in arowojobe estate of Maryland with no provisions at all.
The laptop I was working with developed a certain issue and I informed him. He didn't replace it till date.
After sometime he complained that my colleague and I were being idle and he couldn't continue to keep us when there are jobs to do outside lagos.
I reminded him of dynamism and my ability to speak English, yoruba and hausa fluently.
He then concluded that we should resume at jaja clinic UI ibadan from the next day which was in october.
Apart from accommodation and transportation he still didn't provide any other allowance for us.
The last straw that broke the camel's back was when he said our next stop was kaduna.
I asked him severally what the nature of job I kaduna would be like but he constantly declined answers until we got to kaduna. Need I say that he flew to kaduna while we were confined to a 16hrs road trip to kaduna.
On getting to kaduna very late on the 7th of November I called my boss severally but to no avail. He later called and asked me to pay our hotel bill for the night and he'll reimburse me.
Before 7am, he knocked the hotel room, handed me the money for the room and left.
Now my question is, since he didn't make any arrangements or provisions for us before leaving lagos, what would have happened if I hadn't left lagos with up to 6k?
On getting to national eye centre kaduna the next day and seeing how large and long our job would be there, he made arrangements with the locals to give us accommodation in one of the hospital's lodges.
He gave us a #600 per day lodge which I later found out the original cost was #200 per day. Th inhumane conditions we had to cope with in that lodge is story for another day.
After 3days in the lodge, with cost of feeding so high and my resources almost completely drained, my colleague and I decided to reason with my boss that it would be more economical to buy stuff and prepare meals.
He agreed with us and when he was leaving that weekend he gave us 8k to buy stove, pots, plates and food stuff.
We managed and bought some things, but colleague and I added our personal money to buy food stuff.
The following weekend we went short on resources so my colleague mailed him to inform him but then his response was jaw dropping.
He responded that he regretted assisting us with the 8k stating that it's not his obligation to cater for our logistics.
I became furious and sent him a mail stating that I wasn't ready to add hunger to the harsh conditions I was contending with already up north and he replied me that by the end of November he'll send our tfare back to lagos.
He sent 14k to us and tfare was 15k. He didn't pay me my November salary until the 16th. In his mail, he asked me to await his instructions on arrival to lagos but he hasn't even called or messaged me since my arrival from kaduna on the 1st of December.
I decided never to reach out to him but after multiple pleas from friends and folks, I mailed him and he hasn't replied.
I've not been paid for December and being someone with multiple obligations I'm trying hard not to take any irrational decision.
use 1% TAA ON HIM
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by ffo(m): 4:07pm On Dec 26, 2016
pappy4real:
since you have ond and computer skills, send me a dm and Cv to a email I will send to you. we can discuss from there.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by grandstar(m): 4:22pm On Dec 26, 2016
Walk away and find another job. I hope you learnt invaluable skills while with him

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by MistadeRegal(m): 4:24pm On Dec 26, 2016
You and your friend are your own bosses… But you never figured it because you saw yourselves as employees.

You should understand if you're wise enough.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by spawnx: 4:31pm On Dec 26, 2016
Dude, you already know how to do task without supervision, try and see if you can sell that same products to other smaller organization and charge whatever you know is acceptable or lesser.

Grow from there, you don't necessarily need yo work for someone.

commit your plans to Christ.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by andyanders: 4:33pm On Dec 26, 2016
I think you messed up by accepting to work for a job that was not documented.

I blame you for even keeping that long with the useless man. I would advise you to get out of the job and look for another job. With your vast experience on the so called job, you should be in a position to have come across someone or company to join where your job is guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Charly68: 4:40pm On Dec 26, 2016
Your biggest mistake was to leave an established company for a one man business . All they are interested in is their pockets. I once worked for people like that in Lagos..Doing consultancy works earning millions but getting peanuts in return..the buck lies on your table.. Call it quite and look for a better alternative .. Take the risk of leaving a job that fetch you nothing than to be serving the interest of an undeserving boss.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by GboyegaD(m): 4:43pm On Dec 26, 2016
pappy4real:

Lol! Do I have to do that? I'm thinking Of dealing with him on personal grounds

What will be your gains from such acts? You chise to work without an employment letter thus, it is going to be his words against yours. Just take the experience you garnered on the job as your gain and look for something better to do.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by princetom1(m): 4:45pm On Dec 26, 2016
pappy4real:

Lol! Do I have to do that? I'm thinking Of dealing with him on personal grounds

Ok, if u are on the capacity, go ahead, no any illegal deal though. But move on, the experince u had garnered is enough to land u a good paying job in a good company. I wish u all d best
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by mengho(m): 4:48pm On Dec 26, 2016
Just search for a better job & quit his slavery service in d most annoying way possible
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Vokians(m): 4:55pm On Dec 26, 2016
If you don't like the treatment your boss is giving to you take him to God in prayer then have a man to man talk with him. He may have a change of heart and treat you well. But I advice you should not quit yet until you get better options or connections.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by pappy4real(m): 5:02pm On Dec 26, 2016
Latty88:

Why didn't you apply as an IT support staff in one of the hospitals your boss worked for?
I was actually being loyal moreover my boss usually has strong ties with leadership of such institution
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by pappy4real(m): 5:16pm On Dec 26, 2016
Latty88:

Loyalty is 1 of my strengths moreover my boss usually has strong ties with the leadership of all institutions we work in
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Burgerlomo: 5:23pm On Dec 26, 2016
Try to think of starting your own online business since you're Computer literate, there are bunch of stuffs you can do online to make cool money for yourself with your skills
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by GerogeI(m): 5:29pm On Dec 26, 2016
It is easy for people to tell you to walk away in a recession as if they will give you a new job.

Those telling you to start your own company are crazy. You need to develop your own hospital management software First. Better be realistic, develop one first if you can, before heading out.

Third, the reallity is that companies get money in random frequency, for a small firm like your work place, it affects cash flow always. You should have expected this. But the guy pays you all the same.

The only issue I see, is that you were naive and did not negotiate what you should be compensated for. Without sounding like an arrogant fool, go back to your boss and make a case for more regular compensation. Show him that you have been funding part of the company expense from your salary. Discuss yhe issue of logistics, explain to him that if he does not fund it, who will? Most importantly, ask for a flat rate of logistics compensation on per day basis. Tell him you prefer to arrange your accomodation seeing that he is busy. Agree on a rate for Locations in Lagos for transport only, Anorher rate if accomodation is needed. Also for South West, SE, and North, Agree on a Different higher rate for costly cities such as Abuja, Port Harcourt. Better make a list of these variations and present to him, knowing he will likely halve what you give him. Keep doing a good job. Help build the company into an institution, the institution you like. You will convince your boss of these things by showing him how it will free him from harsles, and help the company as well. Making expense predictable and calculatable. As well as rewarding you for a good job, which is the motivation you need for the next job.

If you want to leave, better make a good plan, mature it, the move. Never leave your job in a hurry, the current job does not prevent you from getting to other better one. Anyone telling you so is a liar. It also does not stop you starting your own ventures and maturing them. If you think you must leave your current job before doing something else, just know many people are waiting to replace you. After all, your IT skills are average, or did you develop the software being deployed?

Guess I have not said what you would like to hear, but am the voice of reason. Its not a war of employers and employees, rather its the world of problem solvers, find ways to solve the problem now, even as you look for new opportunities.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by sirmelody(m): 5:44pm On Dec 26, 2016
no ID no Employment letter?I dnt think U hv any case against him cos since ur boss has d mind to melt out those act then deniaing u will be much more easier 4 him So Bro present ur case to God nd move on.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Rainmaker69(m): 5:59pm On Dec 26, 2016
There are always 2 sides to every story.
Going by your account, it seems like you are between a rock and a hard place- if you're not gaining anything tangible: business networks, life skills, career development and experience, I'd advise that you step aside. The job sounds too risky for someone who's working to pass the time. The important thing is that you try (as much as possible) not to spoil the relationship. In business and life generally, the more allies you have, the easier your ascension. Inform him politely that you will be unable to continue working under those conditions as a result of the economic recession and an increase in the cost of living etc. Think of ways to add value to his business and suggest avenues to increase his productivity- use that to negotiate for better working conditions.
If he feels you're valuable enough, he'll budge. If he doesn't then you're better of without him- there's no point working for someone who doesn't value you or your input.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by swiftycool(m): 6:14pm On Dec 26, 2016
Your situation seems quite bad but in reality it's not new. Apart from advising you to talk with your boss about your full job remuneration agreements and so on I want you to assess these as well

Firstly you are at a point where you are doing a job u seem to like and is more professional than what u were doing which many of your IT graduate colleagues might never get such an opportunity.

Secondly you have rapidly gained valuable experience in different challenging situations because of how your boss threw you into the deep end straight away without demanding impossible years of experience.

Thirdly from what you said, your boss is only owing you for December! Compared to many other even big companies this is quite fair in today's economy.

Now listen and listen good at present u are building a career in a specialized unique and promissing industry and at this point you are just like an apprentice for now with so much yet to learn. If you step out of this job now you will mess up a great story in the making . So my advice for you is to Man up learn what you have to, eat sh#t if you have to and make yourself a valuable asset gathering enough knowledge and experience before you can have a good bargaining chip with your boss or another one.

I've seen a lot of young ones mess up with these kind of opportunities and end up looking from job to job and never get fulfilled nor develop themselves at the end. Don't let this be you.
Many of us who have sustained and profiting business today went through worse as beginners under bosses but it all paid off .
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by Originalsly: 6:30pm On Dec 26, 2016
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery ".... bro... your mind is locked into being being an employee of that your boss.... not seeing that he is using you like a slave.All the locations you went to showcasing your skills.... why didn't you try to get a job? It is not too late to return to those locations..... drop your card.... ask them to contact you should the problem arise again.
Re: What Can I Do When My Boss Treats Me Like This? by mentorandfriend(m): 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2016
The story is incoherent. What was your salary, or you really meant you worked for two whole years just for transport fare to project locations, feeding change, money to buy stoves and coking utensils, money for lodging in project locations, etc.

I think the man may not be as bad as you're trying to paint him if you had a sizeable salary which you have refused to state in your write up. Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPPIS: Joe Abah On "How Ghost Workers Exist In Public Institutions" / Two Men Electrocuted In Kaduna While Working On A Streetlight / What Is The Lowest Pay You Have Received For A Job Due To Desperation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.