Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! (68717 Views)

Python Killed In Hostel At The Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa / Ayoola Oluwakemi Is Best African Female Postgraduate Student In China (Photo) / UNILAG Lecturer Stabs Postgraduate Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Dicksonpal: 7:57am On Jan 08, 2017
No one is talking about Funaab, the most stupid and sluggish school u can ever think of...dont even think of doing pg in Funaab fellaz

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ozolity(m): 7:58am On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

How many years sir. I am running from my school because i know what those lecturers can do. It may be easier for you if you didn't have your undergraduate there.
One year. Though now the program has been restructured tob18 months. But finishing early in UNN Econs depends on u.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Jotter: 7:58am On Jan 08, 2017
You are totally right, am studying for my msc in the U.S, they are very practical, loving, passionate about their students and they teach not lecture, if u don't understand what they are teaching they are ready to go over it multiple times, I once called my prof about his course and he immediately organized an 1hour lecture with me at star bucks out of his personal time, how many Nigerian lecturers can do this? The diff here is that they lecture because they are passionate about wht they do, while in Nija most of them are there because of the money or they searched for a job but did not get any.
I remember the first time I met my course adviser at UNILAG, mehn, if u see as the man rubbish me eh! In my mind I was like was I married to you in your former life!
The point is if you study in any advanced country you will fall in love with education rather than see it as "make I just do graduate comot here" thing
Mille:
Don't be so quick to downgrade Nigerian universities.

I am an Erasmus Mundus student here in Romania and due to the broadness of my program, I do attend courses in many departments. But mostly with MSc agribusiness students.

In the MSc Agribusiness (Department of Economics) students here take a Statistics course that I have done back in FUNAAB at 100 and 200L and I can tell you most of them have no idea about it. The class makes me look like a very brilliant student because it's so easy for me and funny thing is I'm not offering the course and hate statistics but only attending it because I like the professor (I think she's hot and I like to see her face).

The professor for one of my courses hasn't even attended any of the classes. We don't have the lecture notes (He always promises to send them but never will). Exam starts in 2 weeks, I wonder what we're going to write or how we're going to be graded.

The differences is just that the intensity of courses in Nigeria is much higher but here it's much practicalized. You go on trips, sent on observation, perform case studies etc and you're basically seated in front of a WIFI computer in Classes and you better have good computer+Microsoft office skills.

Before in Nigeria, I was a shy student. But after 3 presentations/week in Romania, you can be rest assured the stage fright is gone. Also the classes are conducive and not too populated (Well, since only 20% attend the classes. I meet the other 80% in Pubs and Coffee shops and they introduce themselve as my colleague)

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 7:58am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
sleeping with women whether married or unmarried for grades favours etc is not a new thing neither does it happen in universities alone. It happens in all sectors of the society
I am not supporting the act though but people pay unnecessary attention on universities when it comes to issues like this.females sleep with movie directors for roles.bosses sleep with their female surbodinate for promotions doctors sleep with nurses as a blackmailing tool to cover their errors or inadeqauacies
it's because university regulations is against it and i believe it's also a criminal offense by Nigerian constitution, the problem i pointed out is that while it's common with single ladies, it's within the last decade or less that it's becoming common with married women, a course mate had a problem with a borrowed course then, when she met the lecturer, he demanded to sleep with her,, the lady asked him"sir,are you blind, can't you see that I'm heavily pregnant"and the man responded, "that's better because pregnant women are sweeter".however, I'm suspecting you o,lol.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:59am On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

Chai bros, i am planning to go there for an M.Sc program. What is this nah, everyone blaming buhari forgetting that this lecturers are devils. i was running away from UNN though i had they have restructured the M.Sc program, even at that UI is still better than UNN in terms of PG studies
your case is like those criticizing buhari and hailing abacha.they're birds of a feather but with different methods. Those saying they have restructured the system are lying. They want you to go there because they know they have lost a lot of pg students that got frustrated with their bs

The old professors who call the shots are still there but underground calling the shots.an old professor cannot tell a hod or Dean who is a doctor to do something and he will say no.they put young PhD guys there as a stooge or camouflage while calling the shots underneath and pretend that New young PhD guys are there.

These guys just remodified their strategies grin

These young PhD holders who are hods are either their academic sons who have been loyal and subservient to them and so they rewarded them or their friends grin
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ejembiisrael(m): 8:00am On Jan 08, 2017
My Broda Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Uni (Atbu) Is The Place For U.Lolz
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:03am On Jan 08, 2017
grin

A man with his senses intact cannot sleep with a pregnant woman that is carrying another mans child.that is so not possible. She is lying grin
meanwhile why are you suspecting me? grin
it's like sleeping with an slowpoke or someone with a visible physical sickness grin
greenermodels:
it's because university regulations is against it and i believe it's also a criminal offense by Nigerian constitution, the problem i pointed out is that while it's common with single ladies, it's within the last decade or less that it's becoming common with married women, a course mate had a problem with a borrowed course then, when she met the lecturer, he demanded to sleep with her,, the lady asked him"sir,are you blind, can't you see that I'm heavily pregnant"and the man responded, "that's better because pregnant women are sweeter".however, I'm suspecting you o,lol.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Mbkite(m): 8:03am On Jan 08, 2017
Going through the thread, I'm already having double mind. I bought Msc form from UNIZIK and we're yet to start. Nothing good has been said about MSc in UNIZIK. My people should I continue or just forget about it, since I have not paid any kobo. Mech Engrg dept, unizik.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 8:04am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
your case is like those criticizing buhari and hailing abacha.they're birds of a feather but with different methods. Those saying they have restructured the system are lying. They want you to go there because they know they have lost a lot of pg students that got frustrated with their bs

The old professors who call the shots are still there but underground calling the shots.an old professor cannot tell a hod or Dean who is a doctor to do something and he will say no.they put young PhD guys there as a stooge or camouflage while calling the shots underneath and pretend that New young PhD guys are there.

These guys just remodified their strategies grin

These young PhD holders who are hods are either their academic sons who have been loyal and subservient to them and so they rewarded them or their friends grin
You just said it all sir, no objection and may God be with you
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:06am On Jan 08, 2017
Mbkite:
Going through the thread, I'm already having double mind. I bought Msc form from UNIZIK and we're yet to start. Nothing good has been said about MSc in UNIZIK. My people should I continue or just forget about it, since I have not paid any kobo. Mech Engrg dept, unizik.
if you have the financial resources travel abroad. There are some courses that if you travel abroad to study it carries more weight than in Nigeria because in Nigeria they recycle the same information
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Jakeattah(m): 8:06am On Jan 08, 2017
Currently running MSc Biochemistry at the University of Maiduguri.. And I have to say the new postgraduate structure of the school has made the program run faster. the only issue is from some of the sadist department lecturers and supervisors.
Been reading about people complaining of Economics lecturers, mehn you need to meet biochemistry lecturers to understand what's up... Sometimes we virtually have to plead with some lecturers (upon the money we paid o) to attend classes... Its painful

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 8:07am On Jan 08, 2017
ozolity:

One year. Though now the program has been restructured tob18 months. But finishing early in UNN Econs depends on u.
UNN has never done M.Sc for a year. The dean of postgraduate studies Prof. A.U.Ubachukwu is a professor in my department and he taught me in my final year, and he always tell us about post graduate studies in UNN. I have made many researches on UNN M.Sc but i haven't heard or seen anyone that did it for a year. maybe your own is special.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:10am On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

You just said it all sir, no objection and may God be with you
if YOU know how to kiss professors asses very well you will be put in key positions.it's like sychophants in the corridors of power.if you can praise the minister or governor well and tell him what he likes to hear very well within a short time you will be given appointment

It's simple just behave subservient and take/endure a lot of insults disgrace and disrespect.you will get to the top fast
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fergie001: 8:11am On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

Even from your observation about Romanian schools, Nigerian federal universities are clearly a sheer waste...the 6 points i have raised show clearly that Nigerian federal universities are no match for the university in Romania where you are enrolled. Imagine MSc Agribusiness, that is a course that should be offered in Nigeria but na where you wan see am? You sed the statistics prof. is hot, well that must be because she is a young lady whereas here in Nigeria there are loads of old fools parading themselves about as professors (enemies of progress). you sed your courses are practical, how many courses in Nigeria are practiced? Even engineering which is a naturally practical discipline is taught via dictations abi I lie?. you spoke of wifi PCs in conducive classes na where you wan see that wan for Nigerian fed. universities. For UNIBEN na basement of library be MSc Economics class, with no light or fans (na my set and the current set fix light bulbs and fans for the class) if you think i am lying go an confirm from the current MSc Economics set.

I am not downgrading Nigerian fed. universities they are already downgraded and destroyed and they are seeking the lives of whom to destroy!
Ahhhhhhhh!!!My bro,na true,but na massacre u wan do dem oooo
Small small,no vex
grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:14am On Jan 08, 2017
grin
fergie001:

Ahhhhhhhh!!!My bro,na true,but na massacre u wan do dem oooo
Small small,no vex
grin
as IN henn.the guy no get chill at all grin

@old fools parading themselves as professors grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by cosade(m): 8:18am On Jan 08, 2017
scobaba:
Did MBA in uniben between 2010 and 2012( part time).... Learnt nothing new. It was just a summary of year one to year three BSc. Not even final year. angry

I assume your first degree is in Business Administration/Management. MBA is not designed for graduates of Business Administration/Management but for graduates from other fields such as Engineering etc. You should have done an M.Sc programme instead.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by perfectgen(m): 8:18am On Jan 08, 2017
fergie001:

I am not an authority but based on sampled opinions,in Education a PhD for 3years is 3.Let me not generalise though,but for Engineering,keep your money.UI as a University is strongest in Education and Perhaps,Medicine.
If you can endure,its good,but God-Willing,make I finish this MSc here then run out for Phd,notwithstanding UI is d no.1 arguably,in terms of PG in Nigeria.

Nice exposition, I am however interested in UI executive MBA programme, do you or anybody in the house have succinct information on how it is being run and general requirements?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ozolity(m): 8:19am On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

UNN has never done M.Sc for a year. The dean of postgraduate studies Prof. A.U.Ubachukwu is a professor in my department and he taught me in my final year, and he always tell us about post graduate studies in UNN. I have made many researches on UNN M.Sc but i haven't heard or seen anyone that did it for a year. maybe your own is special.
My dear am saying from my experience. My reg number is 2014. I finished early 2016 paid school fees just once. I ve already applied for a PhD still awaitin admission. To me Econs dept has really been restructured.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 08, 2017
I know of two assistant lecturers at the UNILAG that were doing their PhDs in Economics at UI. They both abandoned the program and started all over in universities in South Africa after they had spent about 6 years running their program at UI. I understand that the quality of education in Nigerian federal universities are nothing to write home about but what i detest the most is when a 3 year program becomes a 10 year program. I will handle my intellectual development myself if such issues as; favoritism, bribery, factionalism etc are minimal.

I don't blame them for running away, anyone who knows about Economics department in UI can testify about the harsh grades students get especially for postgraduate students.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:23am On Jan 08, 2017
Jotter:
You are totally right, am studying for my msc in the U.S, they are very practical, loving, passionate about their students and they teach not lecture, if u don't understand what they are teaching they are ready to go over it multiple times, I once called my prof about his course and he immediately organized an 1hour lecture with me at star bucks out of his personal time, how many Nigerian lecturers can do this? The diff here is that they lecture because they are passionate about wht they do, while in Nija most of them are there because of the money or they searched for a job but did not get any.
I remember the first time I met my course adviser at UNILAG, mehn, if u see as the man rubbish me eh! In my mind I was like was I married to you in your former life!
The point is if you study in any advanced country you will fall in love with education rather than see it as "make I just do graduate comot here" thing
you're right. Education is a pleasurable and enjoyable experience. You become eager to want to learn more.but Education in Nigeria has become more of let me do it so I can get a job not really an intrest to learn.as a matter of fact they kill your interest with frustrating and disrespectful experiences.

Professor supervisors yelling and talking down at their students is so unethical. If a student comes to a lecturer and say sir I don't understand the last topic you taught. Instead of saying my friend get out of my office OR go and read your books and say ok we will adress it.the person sef will feel encouraged to learn
the problem is that square pegs are usually placed in round holes.people who have no buisness teaching are professors.a teacher is supposed to be like a parent and not an aggressive toxic dictator

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:27am On Jan 08, 2017
JayChk:

I know of two assistant lecturers at the UNILAG that were doing their PhDs in Economics at UI. They both abandoned the program and started all over in universities in South Africa after they had spent about 6 years running their program at UI. I understand that the quality of education in Nigerian federal universities are nothing to write home about but what i detest the most is when a 3 year program becomes a 10 year program. I will handle my intellectual development myself if such issues as; favoritism, bribery, factionalism etc are minimal.

I don't blame them for running away, anyone who knows about Economics department in UI can testify about the harsh grades students get especially for postgraduate students.

but how about private Christian universities in Nigeria like covenant , lead city ,Babcock or mountain top university .do you know about them
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by DrTims(m): 8:28am On Jan 08, 2017
I am an M.sc student at ABU,zaria. About rounding up these january. Safe to say that things are changing at ABU unlike when we came in, we met people who spent 5 years runing an M.sc program that is meant for two years! Anyway some departments are good compared to others. Like some departments in agric faculty and Vet are very fast and good.....
efficiencie:
I have not heard from postgraduate students from Ahmadu Bello University. I would like to know what's going on in that university...It may be relatively better than the crappy schools with big name i have attended!
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 8:28am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
grin

A man with his senses intact cannot sleep with a pregnant woman that is carrying another mans child.that is so not possible. She is lying grin
it's like sleeping with an slowpoke or someone with a visible physical sickness grin
she might be lying or not but i have no reason to doubt her but i have heard that phrase the man supposedly used very often and there are threads and news reports of men caught sleeping with or raping married women. but as i said earlier she might be lying or not.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 08, 2017
Reading all these give me a second opinion about Nigerian universities..bsc wahalla, PG also wahalla!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 8:31am On Jan 08, 2017
greenermodels:
she might be lying or not but i have no reason to doubt her but i have heard that phrase the man supposedly used very often and there are threads and news reports of men caught sleeping with or raping married women. but as i said earlier she might be lying or not.
cheesy

Maybe the man offended her.that lie is too malicious. Sleeping with a pregnant woman that is not your wife? Ewwww
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fergie001: 8:33am On Jan 08, 2017
perfectgen:

Nice exposition, I am however interested in UI executive MBA programme, do you or anybody in the house have succinct information on how it is being run and general requirements?
I can get d info once am in school.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Jotter: 8:34am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
you're right. Education is a pleasurable and enjoyable experience. You become eager to want to learn more.but Education in Nigeria has become more of let me do it so I can get a job not really an intrest to learn.as a matter of fact they kill your interest with frustrating and disrespectful experiences.

Professor supervisors yelling and talking down at their students is so unethical. If a student comes to a lecturer and say sir I don't understand the last topic you taught. Instead of saying my friend get out of my office OR go and read your books and say ok we will adress it.the person sef will feel encouraged to learn
the problem is that square pegs are usually placed in round holes.people who have no buisness teaching are professors.a teacher is supposed to be like a parent and not an aggressive toxic dictator
The only way to change this is to change the culture and mind set if the lecturers first, if this can be done, then put infrastructures in place and BOOM! You begin to see results, but we seem to be putting the cart before the horse, it does not work that way.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ALVA001: 8:36am On Jan 08, 2017
Mille:

I am an Erasmus Mundus student here in Romania and due to the broadness of my program, I do attend courses in many departments. But mostly with MSc agribusiness students.

In the MSc Agribusiness (Department of Economics) students here take a Statistics course that I have done back in FUNAAB at 100 and 200L and I can tell you most of them have no idea about it. The class makes me look like a very brilliant student because it's so easy for me and funny thing is I'm not offering the course and hate statistics but only attending it because I like the professor (I think she's hot and I like to see her face).

The professor for one of my courses hasn't even attended any of the classes. We don't have the lecture notes (He always promises to send them but never will). Exam starts in 2 weeks, I wonder what we're going to write or how we're going to be graded.

The differences is just that the intensity of courses in Nigeria is much higher but here it's much practicalized. You go on trips, sent on observation, perform case studies etc and you're basically seated in front of a WIFI computer in Classes and you better have good computer+Microsoft office skills.

Before in Nigeria, I was a shy student. But after 3 presentations/week in Romania, you can be rest assured the stage fright is gone. Also the classes are conducive and not too populated (Well, since only 20% attend the classes. I meet the other 80% in Pubs and Coffee shops and they introduce themselve as my colleague)
Good morning sir, I am a graduate of Agricultural Economics, 2.1, I recently applied for erasmus mundus QEM scholarship. this I did because I couldn't find an exact programme that deals with agricultural economics. Now from your comment above I can see that this program is actually available. sir I would like to know if I have made the right choice by QEM, or there is still a way I could choose an agricultural economics related course. Thank you sir for your time. permit me to send you a pm sir.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ALVA001: 8:38am On Jan 08, 2017
Mille:

good day sir, I am a graduate of Agricultural Economics, 2.1, I recently applied for erasmus mundus QEM scholarship. this I did because I couldn't find an exact programme that deals with agricultural economics. Now from your comment above I can see that this program is actually available. sir I would like to know if I have made the right choice by QEM, or there is still a way I could choose an agricultural economics related course. Thank you sir for your time. permit me to send you a pm sir.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by cosade(m): 8:42am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
grin

Unfortunately, a good number of them are without their senses intact.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 8:42am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
cheesy

Maybe the man offended her.that lie is too malicious. Sleeping with a pregnant woman that is not your wife? Ewwww
dailypost.ng/2014/09/09/husband-catches-pregnant-wife-sex-another-manyou can read more of this stories by running a Google search, the phrase "pregnant women are sweeter is quite common".

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Countries with the highest number of International Students in the United States / 2 Lesbians Caught At Redeemers University / Mbang Confidence Campaigns For SUG Elections In UNICAL With Free Football Views

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.