Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,729 members, 7,824,062 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' (7049 Views)

Your Honest Review Concerning The Iroko Tv Mobile App / "The Wedding Party" Loses N200Million To Piracy / Man Says Northerners Were Excluded From The Wedding Party Movie, Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by dabraska: 8:50am On Dec 28, 2016
Guys, if in 2016/2017, you still don't believe in going to the cinema to watch Nigerian movies, you are missing alot. The much anticipated movie, 'The Wedding Party' has begun airing in cinemas nationwide and here are my honest thoughts.

I was particularly impressed with the ample appearances of Nigeria's finest in the movie industry. I must say a big kudos to the producers of this movie. Please note, this is not a spoiler (well, I'll try not to make it one).

Movie Quality (Sound/visual): As Nigerian movies continue to improve on the quality of their productions, this movie wasn't left out as it was top notch. Very clear and audible. Everyone could hear what they were saying. I'll give it 8/10.

Storyline: You'd agree with me that this has a similar storyline to the typical american comedy/drama movies that we are used to watching. However, it was a great one. I'll also give it 8/10

Acting: Yes! I have a lot of things to say about this. I was particularly impressed by Banky W's acting. For someone who has little or no experience in acting, he did pretty well. The star of the movie was one of my favourite actresses in Nigeria - Sola Shobowale. She just knows how to put on a good performance.

Frank Donga also did very well - especially in that scene where he said 'abi I should call my tailor?'. That made me almost fall off my chair in laughter. (Those who have watched the movie will understand).

Other scenes that impressed me:
Banky's rolls Royce scene. That was very very good. It felt so real.
The armed robber hostage scene.
The dancing scene.

But as embedded in the Nigerian gene to want to overact sometimes, this movie wasn't short of such displays. Alibaba's scenes portrayed him as over enthusiastic and it seemed he was over acting. I understand what the producer felt when he was bringing in Alibaba. However, I think he wasn't a good fit for that role. I think he's better as a stand up comedian. Acting may not be his thing. He had some good moments (robbery scene) but generally, his acting wasn't top notch.

Emmaohmygod: Although he's my friend and a very funny guy, his scene took away the realism (drama genre) from the movie. He did overact in his prayer scene and it became quite boring after a while.

Banky's 'best man': I understand the concept, however, the guy had a couple of low moments. He seems overtly confident and people could know that he was acting. I didn't see a lot of emotions from him (both the good and the bad).

So i would have given acting a high flying 8, but for the 'average' performances, I'll give it a 7/10.

Movie production/direction: The producers must have spent a fortune on this movie without a doubt. It isn't easy to assemble a whole list of celebrities for a movie. Logistics and movie set up must have cost some money. I'll give it 8/10.

In conclusion, while this movie may not gross as much revenue as Trip to Jamaica (the AY factor), it certainly is BY A WIDE MARGIN better than Trip to Jamaica and is one of the best movies produced in Nigeria yet.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

4 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by stmichael001(m): 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2016
NICE REVIEW....JUST LIKE I THOUGHT

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by HIRAETH: 12:45am On Dec 30, 2016
Nice review
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by ITEKEM: 10:56am On Dec 30, 2016
Where I fit download am abeg? smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by Dqueenzy(f): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2016
I cannot fit lie,the movie was really good,one of my favs since october 1st,the visuals was top notch,i pride in my nigerian heritage,lolz.

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by midworld: 9:43am On Dec 31, 2016
dabraska:

In conclusion, while this movie may not gross as much revenue as Trip to Jamaica (the AY factor), it certainly is BY A WIDE MARGIN better than Trip to Jamaica and is one of the best movies produced in Nigeria yet.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

You did not do your research well dear. This film has totally eclipsed A TRIP TO Jamaica in earnings

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by dabraska: 9:48am On Dec 31, 2016
Oh wow! I didn't know that. Plus I said 'may not'. Thanks! That's very good to know. A trip to Jamaica just wasn't it for me.

So it is officially the highest grossing Nigerian movie ever. Very good.

midworld:

You did not do your research well dear. This film has totally eclipsed A TRIP TO Jamaica in earnings
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by laudate: 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2016
dabraska:
Oh wow! I didn't know that. Plus I said 'may not'. Thanks! That's very good to know. A trip to Jamaica just wasn't it for me.

So it is officially the highest grossing Nigerian movie ever. Very good.

Another thing that contributed to its success, was the way the film was advertised on EbonyLife's EL TV Channel on DSTV. There was a heavy promotional fanfare that heralded the advent of the film and got so many people waiting & itching to be part of its' opening day. Well done, EL TV! cool

There are a few other good films that may have done as well as The Wedding Party, but lacked the same marketing or promotional push needed to capture the attention of the public. This is an aspect that filmmakers need to pay more attention to, in order to stimulate the viewers interest and recoup their money spent on the film. wink

3 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by Greatbeard(m): 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2017
dabraska:
Guys, if in 2016/2017, you still don't believe in going to the cinema to watch Nigerian movies, you are missing alot. The much anticipated movie, 'The Wedding Party' has begun airing in cinemas nationwide and here are my honest thoughts.

I was particularly impressed with the ample appearances of Nigeria's finest in the movie industry. I must say a big kudos to the producers of this movie. Please note, this is not a spoiler (well, I'll try not to make it one).

Movie Quality (Sound/visual): As Nigerian movies continue to improve on the quality of their productions, this movie wasn't left out as it was top notch. Very clear and audible. Everyone could hear what they were saying. I'll give it 8/10.

Storyline: You'd agree with me that this has a similar storyline to the typical american comedy/drama movies that we are used to watching. However, it was a great one. I'll also give it 8/10

Acting: Yes! I have a lot of things to say about this. I was particularly impressed by Banky W's acting. For someone who has little or no experience in acting, he did pretty well. The star of the movie was one of my favourite actresses in Nigeria - Sola Shobowale. She just knows how to put on a good performance.

Frank Donga also did very well - especially in that scene where he said 'abi I should call my tailor?'. That made me almost fall off my chair in laughter. (Those who have watched the movie will understand).

The dancing scene.

But as embedded in the Nigerian gene to want to overact sometimes, this movie wasn't short of such displays. Alibaba's scenes portrayed him as over enthusiastic and it seemed he was over acting. I understand what the producer felt when he was bringing in Alibaba. However, I think he wasn't a good fit for that role. I think he's better as a stand up comedian. Acting may not be his thing. He had some good moments (robbery scene) but generally, his acting wasn't top notch.

Emmaohmygod: Although he's my friend and a very funny guy, his scene took away the realism (drama genre) from the movie. He did overact in his prayer scene and it became quite boring after a while.

Banky's 'best man': I understand the concept, however, the guy had a couple of low moments. He seems overtly confident and people could know that he was acting. I didn't see a lot of emotions from him (both the good and the bad).

So i would have given acting a high flying 8, but for the 'average' performances, I'll give it a 7/10.

Movie production/direction: The producers must have spent a fortune on this movie without a doubt. It isn't easy to assemble a whole list of celebrities for a movie. Logistics and movie set up must have cost some money. I'll give it 8/10.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Such a detailed review. This piece has made me more interested in seeing the movie. Thanks.

However, I do have a few questions bro;
I'd like to watch the movie but seeing as its my first time ,I have a few questions;
1) How much does the ticket cost at silverbird abuja(I want to go on Thursday)

2)Would you recommend snacks during the movie? and how expensive are they?

3) Does the movie schedule correspond with what they have online? as I wouldn't like to miss it due to misinformation.

Thanks.
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by DangotePikin: 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2017
Where can I download it online, don't like going to cinemas?

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by alexov(m): 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2017
dabraska:

The dancing scene.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Haha eat your words man. It beat a trip to Jamiaca and all others hands down in the cinemas. I really didn't see anything wrong with the way alibaba potrayed his character. He entertained throughout the movie. I think he played his character very well.

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by dabraska: 1:11pm On Jan 04, 2017
Hey man! Thanks.

Most of the info you see online are true. I'm in Lagos but it shouldn't be more that N2,000.
Greatbeard:

Such a detailed review. This piece has made me more interested in seeing the movie. Thanks.

However, I do have a few questions bro;
I'd like to watch the movie but seeing as its my first time ,I have a few questions;
1) How much does the ticket cost at silverbird abuja(I want to go on Thursday)

2)Would you recommend snacks during the movie? and how expensive are they?

3) Does the movie schedule correspond with what they have online? as I wouldn't like to miss it due to misinformation.

Thanks.
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by dabraska: 1:12pm On Jan 04, 2017
Yeah bro. Was surprised. I'm very impressed.

Well, Alibaba's scene was a matter of perspectives. Maybe if I watch it again, I'll have a rethink. Thanks for the comment man.
alexov:

Haha eat your words man. It has beat beat a trip to Jamiaca and all others hands down in the cinemas. I really didn't see anything wrong with the way alibaba potrayed his character. He entertained throughout the movie. I think he played his character very well.
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by ItsBolaji: 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2017
Nice review... but I will disagree with u on the acting part....except EmmaohmyGod's part...he really did 'overdo'...

But a lot went into the production of this movie than for the Director and Producer to overlook a role as important as that of AliBaba and Ikechukwu..

Alibaba was to portray an over enthusiastic rich man which he did very well I have met people like that so I could relate..

Ikechukwu (The best man) played the role of a very very carefree person...The kind of person that will ruin a good moment and still joke about it....the kind of child that will break plate and still laugh....and he did well

The only person in the movie that 'overdid' for me is the event planner she was kinda unrealistic..

Asides that, Good review.

My best scene is 'the Coker entrance'

I love Ireti Doyle's (The groom's mom) acting wonderful script interpretation she smiled only once...

But mummy Shola Sobowale made the movie fun all the way typical Yoruba woman.

8 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by Greatbeard(m): 6:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
dabraska:
Hey man! Thanks.

Most of the info you see online are true. I'm in Lagos but it shouldn't be more that N2,000.

Thanks for this bro.
I saw the movie yesterday and I was not disappointed.
I would have wanted frank donga(Harrison) to have featured more. He really did a good job.

I'm not really a fan of naija movies but I must say, the movie was worth the anticipation.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by Buike8: 12:30pm On Mar 14, 2017
I dont intend to sound mean but I have to be honest. I did not find the movie funny. D only person that even tried to make me laugh was shola shobawale and that is because she is an amazing actress. Though her role was meant to be insignificant she nailed the role so well and stole the spotlight from the lead actress(I dont know her name) and I can say she saved that movie from complete ruin. Another good thing about the movie was the bright colours,the glamour,cinematography,costume and make-up. The storyline, just as the poster said was a typical american romantic comedy which lacked a touch of African originality. This was compounded by the fake British accent spoken by irety Doyle and the event planner and the crappy acting of the best-man,Alibaba, the event planner and a host of others I can't remember now.

5 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by profstar(m): 8:53pm On Mar 24, 2017
Buike8:
I dont intend to sound mean but I have to be honest. I did not find the movie funny. D only person that even tried to make me laugh was shola shobawale and that is because she is an amazing actress. Though her role was meant to be insignificant she nailed the role so well and stole the spotlight from the lead actress(I dont know her name) and I can say she saved that movie from complete ruin. Another good thing about the movie was the bright colours,the glamour,cinematography,costume and make-up. The storyline, just as the poster said was a typical american romantic comedy which lacked a touch of African originality. This was compounded by the fake British accent spoken by irety Doyle and the event planner and the crappy acting of the best-man,Alibaba, the event planner and a host of others I can't remember now.

Na because of people like you this scene below was included

8 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by Scash(f): 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2017
Actually, I agree a bit with Ali Baba's over acting. I feel he was the only one that over did it. Altho... Sobowale was a little annoying at some points (I love her, don't get me wrong) but no.. all the 'mo ku' was a bit too much.

Oh, I forgot. Zainab Bankole. O ti poju. Especially the place where she knelt down and broke into Yoruba, it didn't look real.

On the upside, I LOVED Banky. Loved his bride. They were awesome! I loved the coker and the couple's entrance. i watched it over and over.

Then, out of curiosity, how many Nigerian weddings extends their receptions into the night?
And, Where in Lagos state, I mean, which beach in Lagos state would a lone unaccompanied woman wander to? Alone. At Night. God that was UNREAL. That's not Nigeria, we don't run away to beaches (where a little camp fire was burning conveniently) at night because something went wrong on our wedding day.

Asides that, (True to God!) I enjoyed it. A definately relieve from all those annoying king and princesses and throne fighting movies. Kudos to the director.

3 Likes

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by dabraska: 7:46pm On Apr 08, 2017
Spot on!!! You literally read my mind! smiley smiley

Scash:
Actually, I agree a bit with Ali Baba's over acting. I feel he was the only one that over did it. Altho... Sobowale was a little annoying at some points (I love her, don't get me wrong) but no.. all the 'mo ku' was a bit too much.

Oh, I forgot. Zainab Bankole. O ti poju. Especially the place where she knelt down and broke into Yoruba, it didn't look real.

On the upside, I LOVED Banky. Loved his bride. They were awesome! I loved the coker and the couple's entrance. i watched it over and over.

Then, out of curiosity, how many Nigerian weddings extends their receptions into the night?
And, Where in Lagos state, I mean, which beach in Lagos state would a lone unaccompanied woman wander to? Alone. At Night. God that was UNREAL. That's not Nigeria, we don't run away to beaches (where a little camp fire was burning conveniently) at night because something went wrong on our wedding day.

Asides that, (True to God!) I enjoyed it. A definately relieve from all those annoying king and princesses and throne fighting movies. Kudos to the director.
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by laudate: 11:29pm On Apr 08, 2017
Scash:

Beach, ke? At night? shocked shocked Where area boys and marijuana smokers hold their group meetings, at ungodly hours? You are right, o! cheesy Walking alone at night on the beach in Lagos island, is definitely not a smart thing to do.... unless you are a bell-ringing Aladura prophet with dreadlocks, planning to give a spiritual bath to an unclad female devotee! wink

1 Like

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by urvillagepeoplee(m): 3:40pm On Apr 10, 2017
abeg who know d name of d efik song way den play for d movie,I won download am
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by czarina(f): 9:08am On Sep 28, 2017
urvillagepeoplee:
abeg who know d name of d efik song way den play for d movie,I won download am
have you been able to download it?
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by urvillagepeoplee(m): 11:21am On Sep 28, 2017
czarina:
have you been able to download it?
no,am still searching for it.
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by irokoagent(m): 12:33pm On Sep 28, 2017
Nollywood and Nigeria finest satellite TV station is now available on your mobile phone both on androids and ios.

Iroko TV brings to u your favorite exciting series such as Stalemate, My Neighbors Wives, Jenifa’s Diary, Black and White, Husbands of Lagos, Aso Ebi and so much more….

And guess what, for our Data savers, its data free download. All u’ve to do is locate our nearest kiosk to u and get your movies for free.

Subscription is now

1k for 3 month
2k for 1 year (promo price)
IROKO TV… TRULY NAIJA!!!

Call or whatapp for details

Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by laudate: 12:35pm On Sep 28, 2017
irokoagent:
Nollywood and Nigeria finest satellite TV station is now available on your mobile phone both on androids and ios.

Iroko TV brings to u your favorite exciting series such as Stalemate, My Neighbors Wives, Jenifa’s Diary, Black and White, Husbands of Lagos, Aso Ebi and so much more….

And guess what, for our Data savers, its data free download. All u’ve to do is locate our nearest kiosk to u and get your movies for free.

Subscription is now

1k for 3 month
2k for 1 year (promo price)
IROKO TV… TRULY NAIJA!!!

Call or whatapp for details

Does Iroko TV have the Wedding Party in its bouquet of movies? undecided
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by czarina(f): 6:24pm On Sep 28, 2017
urvillagepeoplee:
no,am still searching for it.
I have it now... Got it online today.. Was a long search tho but well worth it... Just pm me if you don't mind
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by urvillagepeoplee(m): 7:18pm On Sep 28, 2017
czarina:
I have it now... Got it online today.. Was a long search tho but well worth it... Just pm me if you don't mind
I don't know how to send pm,can u tell me d name so I can download it?
thanks..
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by czarina(f): 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2017
urvillagepeoplee:
I don't know how to send pm,can u tell me d name so I can download it?
thanks..
just type 'eyen o mp3' let me know if you are able to get it
Re: My Honest Review Of The Movie 'the Wedding Party' by urvillagepeoplee(m): 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2017
czarina:
just type 'eyen o mp3' let me know if you are able to get it
got it,thanks a billion,I so much appreciate.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chronicles Of Narnia: - Part 3--december 10th 2010~~ / Let's Talk About TITANS / Chiewetel Ejiofor, Nonso Anozie, Adewale Akinnuoye-agbaje, Arnold Schwarze9geria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.