Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam (13758 Views)

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) / 1,200 Yr Old Cross Found In Pakistan Implies Christianity Was There Before Islam / Father Mbaka Speaks On Onitsha Fire: Don't Blame Hausas, Obiano Should Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by MisterGrace: 6:19am On Jan 26, 2017
And then they used the fear of losing out on 72 virgins, rivers of wine and fire of hell to hypnotize and deceived them.

Although more than half of the real Hausas are Christians, except for the foolanis.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:56am On Jan 29, 2017
Rossikki:

ANCIENT EGYPT - COW

Symbol of fertility, of the maternal bosom, supplier of the bracing milk, the cow plays a major role in the imagination and the Egyptian myths.

Papyrus of Ani: the Hathor cow presides over the deceased's rebirth in the form of a new sun. Notice the sun between the horns.

''The animal is associated with numerous divine forms, to the formost of which is Hathor and Nut.
From the New Kingdom the idea appears that the sky is the place of gestation where the sun which dies at the end of the day will regenerate during the night. For this reason, it is represented by a feminine entity or by a cow, at the centre of which must take place the different processes, which will allow the handing-over of the world in the morning of a new sun, ready to begin its race in the diurnal sky.
The cow is the receptacle of a sun in becoming, as the deceased's east, which will be born again into the world from the here after.
Some representations show the dead, assimilated into the sun in its form of Re-Horakhty, who returns at morning between two sycamores in the form of a small calf.''

http://www.osirisnet.net/docu/veaux/e_veaux.htm

Yet when I tell you we are the ANCIENT EGYPTIANS, you will be arguing unnecessarily.

shut up. Indians venerate cows more than anyone. doesnt make us Indians. it is a nomadic pastoral thing.

1 Like

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by plappville(f): 10:22am On Feb 08, 2017
I'm not sure they have one. They better retrieve themselves back to the old days when they were not terrorists. Islam has made them wicked and heartless.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by EazyMoh(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
Well the main reason why you never hear of pre-Islamic Hausaland is mainly due to lack any extraordinary practice in that time. Practice like killing of twins or human sacrifice I mean.
It was a simple pagan land with the people practicing African religion with their simple rituals like "Wasan Dodo" (Masquarade) "Chamfi" (Superstitions) and animal sacrifice.
Though some deities are specific to a particular place like the Tsumburbura as mentioned by friendchoice, the traditional practices are generally the same.
For example in 2003 Jigawa state government banned Masquarade celebrations which take place every harvest season, because it traced back to when those Masquarades where considered deities and worshiped. Sule Lamido later lifted the ban in 2007. Interestingly there are remote villages up till this day that retain those pagan practices, and are not Muslims neither do they bear Muslim names. They are Maguzawa, significant amount of Warjawa and so on.
The detail of those practices can be found in The Kano Chronicles.
What pagan9ja was writing especially the Bori isn't actually a form of religion, but a sport or a practice. Up till this day there are Muslims who practice Bori. I know this because my home town is the home of Dan Kawu Mai Garaya. Whenever he plays the Bori people will gather where each of them would be possessed by their preferred spirit like those pagan9ja mentioned.
So you see its not that there wasn't traditional religion before Islam, it's just it's now part of Hausaland's very distant history. Unlike Christianity that was brought few centuries ago, Islam has been in Hausaland in a large extent for more than a millenia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by LucemFerre: 11:25am On Apr 26, 2018
PAGAN9JA:
The traditional religion of the Hausa is Bori . Pagan Hausa are called Maguzawa/Maguzanci / Arna . Many christian Hausa even now identify as Maguzawa as the missionaries found it easy to proselytyze among some of our communities.

I won't go into too many details of Bori. its a lot.

But you can find Bori in some old neighborhoods of Kano and other Hausa states. Purer forms of Bori are found in the borders between Nigeria and Niger.
Gods (Iskoki) include:, Ubangiji(Creator abstract), Sarkin Iskoki (The King of all Gods), Maiyaali, Kure (The Great Hyena) , Magiro (on hearing whose name we touch the ground), Jato, Yerima(Galadima), Sarkin Rafi, Mai Aska,Inna, Wazri, Doguwa, Dakaki, Mai JaChikkki, Manzo, Jam Maraki, Sarkin Pawa, Babban Maza, Jigo, Sarkin Barchi, Uwal Yara, etc.

The Chief Priest is usually a female called Sarrounia (Niger esp- higher post) or Magajiya (Nigeria esp)

Fulani pre-islamic religion relics will be found amongst the Mbororoen/Woodabe. some of their initiation and rituals involves invoking these relics of their ancestral faith.

In Fulani religion, the Chief Creator God is Geno (Geno Dundari) .

A famous traditional poem begins thus:

"Geno, the Eternal Lord first created the cow. Then he created the woman, only then the Pullo. He put the woman behind the cow. He put the Pullo behind the woman. It is what the genesis of the drover says, it is what makes the holy trinity of the pastor. Glory to the Creator of all things - the chaos and light; the full egg and the great void! Frrom the drop of milk, he extracted the universe; the teat, he brought out the word. Nomadic speech, longest river of milk that multiplies the meanders between deserts and forests to say and repeat the incredible adventure of Fulɓe."

Other Gods include the sacred hermaphrodite cow/ox called Ndurbeele, symbol of creation, progenitor of the first 22 cattle. This is why nomadic traditional Fulbe rarely kill cattles and protect them over their own lives.

Kumen (i suppose a trixter deity), Foroforondu (Goddess of fertility), Tjaamba (monstrous snake-like deity / guide and protector), Tongo and Rongo (other evil Gods, require sacrifices),etc.

Hello,
Happy new year...
Can you please give me a reference I can read about the Hausa/Fulani ancient gods? Or can you please complete the "etc's" you mentioned and what each deity represent? e.g sango = thunder
Thank you
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by HappyPagan: 11:38am On Apr 26, 2018
Rilwayne001:
OP, i no talk am? grin

Well done sir.
this man.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by Fula123: 6:09am On Apr 29, 2019
We don’t have a traditional african religion because we originated in the Middle East which is technically Africa or Kush. If black people ruled the world the Middle East wouldn’t be named that. It would be classified as north west Africa. That said, So we were either Christian, Jew or Islamic (mostly Islamic). When I say Jew im talking about law of Moses type religions. Hebrew & Egyptian religions. But before that I’m sure we worshipped some pagan gods like the rest of the world. Most likely Egyptian gods and goddesses. Some Fula originated in Egypt. Some originated in Israel/Palestine. We originated in the Middle East. I would be remiss to not add the fact that true original “middle easterns” are african as the so called Middle East is a part of Africa. Basically what I’m trying to say is: ISLAM & Christianity ARE traditional African religions.
Re: What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2020
Hausa Boori Practitioner.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? / Difference Between Working For God And Working For Church / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.