Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You (1024 Views)

Lady Fired While On Her Way To Resume Work For The First Time / Eight New Year Resolutions To Grow Your Savings / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 11:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
If you are like most people, you are probably wondering if you should bother making any resolutions for the new year, considering the fact that you probably didn't keep your last set of resolutions. You won't be alone as lots of people fail to keep their New Year's resolutions.

However, New Year's Resolutions can be an immensely effective tool and people who fail at using them do so usually because they do not know how to make resolutions work for them. Ready to be a new, more productive person in 2017? Follow these simple steps that will help you make and keep your resolutions effectively.

1. Have a clear, guiding vision

Most people will just pen down a list of the things they would like to change about themselves and tote it around as their New Year's resolution list. To be effective, you will need to have an actual reason for why you want to change anything about yourself.

For instance, you shouldn’t just say, “I will save more in 2017”, you should say, “I will save more in 2017 so that I can have enough money to start my business by 2018”. See how it works? A long term vision gives you a compelling reason to follow through with your resolutions.

2. Internalize your new vision

Once you have an actual vision of who you want to be, the second step is internalizing it. In school you probably realized that understanding the material is one thing but truly learning it is quite another. You can understand something and forget about it in a couple of days but once you truly learn it, it stays with you for a lifetime.

Psychologists have also discovered that people who internalize their goals are much more effective at achieving them. What does this mean for you? The changes you want to see in your life must happen first in your heart and mind. Picture the new you, over and over, until that image becomes embedded in your mind.

3. Have an accountability partner

The truth is, it is usually much easier to let yourself down that it is to let down a person you love. You could make excuses to yourself for why you just can’t keep up with a task, but if you have to explain this to someone you love and respect (like a special other or mentor), you are much more likely to be less willing to want to see them disappointed.

4. Be realistic

There’s no point biting off more than you can chew. You might say it’s a good idea to challenge yourself but the truth is, when you take on challenges that are too far out of reach and you fail, you are conditioning your mind to naturally become more risk-averse.

You need to start with little successes to build up your confidence, and build on from there. If you currently don’t pray at all and you’d like to be a more prayerful person in 2017, you could start by saying a one-minute prayer every day for the first 7 days of the new year, and increasing it by one minute every week after that. Set small but progressive milestones.

5. Write your resolutions properly

You might feel as though this is going overboard, but you really should treat your resolutions with respect. Write them down legibly and preserve them carefully. If possible, print and frame them in a place where you can see them regularly. If you don’t write your resolutions with respect, you are not likely to treat them with respect and commitment as the year progresses.

6. Keep them to yourself

There’s no need to go round showing your list of resolutions to any and everybody who cares to listen. You should share them with your mentor or accountability partner, but remember that there are always people who will speak negatively about your dreams and goals and possibly discourage you even if they don’t mean to.

Conclusion:

Is your life headed down the path you want it to? Sean Covey teaches in his book, The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teenagers, that momentous occasions such as the coming of a new year are excellent occasions for launching a new set of goals. So go ahead and start planning what your New Year's resolutions will be, using these 6 tips.

Happy New Year!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 5:09pm On Dec 29, 2016
I really hope this helps someone. In my experience of interacting with people who are struggling through life, i have found out that an improper understanding of the power of goal setting is one root cause of failure.

Lalasticlala perhaps more people need to see this?
Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by kennyjam: 9:41am On Dec 30, 2016
thanks
Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 6:49am On Mar 17, 2022
Searchingvictor:

Boss, morning. Please pardon me for entering your DM.
Please, can u help me with 3k. I'm really short of money. Please, help my life. ���

Just got a job and I can't afford t fare. Please help me sir

Drop your account number.
Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 6:57am On Mar 17, 2022
Searchingvictor:

Gtb

Thank you sir

I'll do this via pos a little later in the morning. I hope it will still be useful to you by then?
Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 1:34pm On Mar 17, 2022
Searchingvictor:

Morning sir. Hope your day is going fine Sir.

Don't worry I haven't forgotten. A little busy

1 Like

Re: How To Make New Year's Resolutions Work For You by SmartyPants(m): 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2022
Searchingvictor:

Thank you very much boss. I really appreciate this

Sorry about the delay. All the best!

(1) (Reply)

Get Rosabon Quick Loan Without A Collateral / Aplication For The 2018 Usda's Cochran Fellowship Training Program (nigeria) / Ways Of Making A Fortune In Photography & Videography Without Owning A Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.