Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,794 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It (5604 Views)

Buhari Nominates Anthony Ojukwu As NHRC Boss, Writes Senate For Approval / Biafra Is Long Dead, Remember Ojukwu Was Buried With Nigeria Flag / I Saw "Ojukwu Bucket" While Walking In The Bush In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Reminez(m): 8:06pm On Dec 29, 2016
I used a foreigner who is a renowned historian as my source of information in my thread. But my osu brothers could only dug out a poorly scripted interview from one of their own . Some of them in their infinite pseudo intelligence even asked why people didn't fault their coward in chief's claim while he was still alive . But please remind them that OJUKWU could only grant a mushroom interview about his involvement in Papa Awo's release about 12 years after Awolowo's demise . what could be more hypocritical! !!!
Chukwudi, when you have a reliable source , gimme a mention .
Lastly, recently GOWON who's still alive said he released Awo and no one has come out to counter him since then .
cc pchukwudi

3 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Olabestonic001(m): 10:23pm On Dec 29, 2016
Eastactivist:
[s][/s]

Lies, he has been saying it and repeating it severally. This publication wasn't the first.

Ojukwu was a nobody yet released your so called hero...

I smell foolishness.

How old are you young man?
Ojukwu revered Awo all his life and he won't dare talk poo all the days of the life of Awo.
You guys should stop all these nonsenses and stop revising history.

2 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Olabestonic001(m): 10:25pm On Dec 29, 2016
pchukwudi:
How will you understand? You probably thought that Internet started in Nigeria. Or may be you actually thought that all Nigerian internet users live in Nigeria or your village.

Go back and reread the article. It was published online in 2001. And the interview was recorded in Boston, not in your village. Smart pant.

I went to that bad blog which is a scam through and through. Young man, there was no internet vibrancy to justify that foolish report as at 2001. Unless you're Liar Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 10:33pm On Dec 29, 2016
Pretty silly and pathetic. Thought you had some opinions? Only fools refute the truth.

[s]

Reminez:
I used a foreigner who is a renowned historian as my source of information in my thread. But my osu brothers could only dug out a poorly scripted interview from one of their own . Some of them in their infinite pseudo intelligence even asked why people didn't fault their coward in chief's claim while he was still alive . But please remind them that OJUKWU could only grant a mushroom interview about his involvement in Papa Awo's release about 12 years after Awolowo's demise . what could be more hypocritical! !!!
Chukwudi, when you have a reliable source , gimme a mention .
Lastly, recently GOWON who's still alive said he released Awo and no one has come out to counter him since then .
cc pchukwudi
[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 10:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
That shows that you are super lazy at research and logical reasoning.

Olabestonic001:

I went to that bad blog which is a scam through and through. Young man, there was no internet vibrancy to justify that foolish report as at 2001. Unless you're Liar Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Ejanla07: 11:07pm On Dec 29, 2016
Afonjas re d world greatest liars

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 2:54am On Dec 30, 2016
Ejanla07:
Afonjas re d world greatest liars

Guess the truth has just got their mouths shut for good on the matter. grin

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by bukatyne(f): 3:57pm On Dec 30, 2016
Instead of us to come together to build Nigeria, we are here claiming superiority on both sides.

Except there is more to this article. I see an Ojukwu (Igbo) that deeply respected and admired Awolowo (Yoruba) while we are here chanting afonja, flat head and Ipod with 'hatred'.

I wonder when we will all learn that we are all same outside and even at the top undecided
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by kettle84(m): 4:34pm On Dec 30, 2016
Aigbofa:

Superior people who hunted and ate each other! I can only imagine if they were savages.
who are the people raping goats and killing people for rituals in Ogun state?

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by revolt(m): 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2016
Nalikedis:
which authority did Ojukwu use to release Awolowo? Awo was jailed by the federal government, so he was a federal prisoner. He only happened to be imprisoned in federal facility located in Calabar. So what authority has a regional governor to release a federal prisoner? except if the head of state directed him to do so... Azikiwe initiated and signed his incarceration, Ironsi prolonged his stay in prison without given any consideration to all letters Awo wrote requesting for his retrial... So what is all this noise about "governor" Ojukwu releasing him? Especially when "President" Gowon already claimed he released a man that was unjustly jailed by the federal government of Azikiwe.
are u a herbovore? Azikiwe wasn't in charge of the fg...tafawa and sardauna were...zik actually formed an alliance with the action group. You ppl that refused to read history. But argue based on bigotry.
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 30, 2016
kettle84:

Ibos.....
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pentlumpro(f): 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2016
kettle84:
Whaaaaat you mean the bad belle people or afonjas of south wast rape goats
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by T9ksy(m): 4:57pm On Dec 30, 2016
pchukwudi:

Guess the truth has just got their mouths shut for good on the matter. grin

what truth? A similar thread has recently concluded that ojukwu was nothing than a bare-faced liar.

What other proof do you posses to back up your "truth" apart from the interview, ojukwu (a renowned pathological liar), gave about 15yrs ago?

2 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 5:28pm On Dec 30, 2016
You are missing the point. Do yourself some good and study the origin of the whole fiasco.

1. IPOB issued a release a couple of days ago reminding SOME Yorubas (who shamelessly supported the proposed secret trial of Nnamdi Kanu) that Awolowo - despite being accused of a more serious crime - was PUBLICLY tried and convicted - but was later released by Ojukwu.

2. IPOB reminded the same Kanu haters of Yoruba extraction that it was Ojukwu (a man from Kanu's stock) that released Awolowo from prison after being convicted for treason. IPOB wanted to know why certain Yoruba elements feel that open trial was okay for Awolowo but not okay for Nnamdi Kanu.

3. Rather than doing some serious soul searching, the next thing that happened on Nairaland was the upsurge of silly threads distorting historic facts, calling IPOB liars and denying that Ojukwu was the one who released Awolowo from jail.

4. So this thread is a raw dose of truth (from Ojukwu himself) to hopefully difuse the lies of some senseless haters and propangandists who use Nairaland to distort history and peddle falsehood.

Got it now?

And NO I am not a member of IPOB. But I thoroghly hate dishonesty, injustice and hypocricy.

bukatyne:
Instead of us to come together to build Nigeria, we are here claiming superiority on both sides.

Except there is more to this article. I see an Ojukwu (Igbo) that deeply respected and admired Awolowo (Yoruba) while we are here chanting afonja, flat head and Ipod with 'hatred'.

I wonder when we will all learn that we are all same outside and even at the top undecided

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 5:32pm On Dec 30, 2016
Guess you won't mind when you read that your poo this way:

T9ksy:

what truth? A similar thread has recently concluded that awolowo was nothing than a bare-faced liar.

What other proof do you posses to back up your "truth" apart from the interview, awolowo (a renowned pathological liar), gave about non-existent years ago?

T9ksy:

what truth? A similar thread has recently concluded that ojukwu was nothing than a bare-faced liar.

What other proof do you posses to back up your "truth" apart from the interview, ojukwu (a renowned pathological liar), gave about 15yrs ago?

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Tobbie9(m): 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2016
Ojukwi said it, obviously it must be d truth grin

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by kettle84(m): 6:04pm On Dec 30, 2016
Aigbofa:

Ibos.....
keep pointing to the wrong direction with a finger while the remaining four points at you the right direction.
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by bukatyne(f): 9:40pm On Dec 30, 2016
pchukwudi:
You are missing the point. Do yourself some good and study the origin of the whole fiasco.

1. IPOB issued a release a couple of days ago reminding SOME Yorubas (who shamelessly supported the proposed secret trial of Nnamdi Kanu) that Awolowo - despite being accused of a more serious crime - was PUBLICLY tried and convicted - but was later released by Ojukwu.

2. IPOB reminded the same Kanu haters of Yoruba extraction that it was Ojukwu (a man from Kanu's stock) that released Awolowo from prison after being convicted for treason. IPOB wanted to know why certain Yoruba elements feel that open trial was okay for Awolowo but not okay for Nnamdi Kanu.

3. Rather than doing some serious soul searching, the next thing that happened on Nairaland was the upsurge of silly threads distorting historic facts, calling IPOB liars and denying that Ojukwu was the one who released Awolowo from jail.

4. So this thread is a raw dose of truth (from Ojukwu himself) to hopefully difuse the lies of some senseless haters and propangandists who use Nairaland to distort history and peddle falsehood.

Got it now?

And NO I am not a member of IPOB. But I thoroghly hate dishonesty, injustice and hypocricy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Not really in partisan politics.
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by Pritypussi(f): 10:31pm On Dec 30, 2016
Well screw ojukwu, he should have left him in jail instead so he paid dearly for it
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by T9ksy(m): 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
pchukwudi:

Got it now?

Geez! You guys are just unbelievable!

So your "truth" is basically predicated on what IPOB and Ojukwu said! In essence, IPOB -a biafran militant group's statement issued

recently, is enough collaboration to Ojukwu's (-an ex biafran warlord) interview, 15 yrs ago!! shocked

Do you have any thing else that can stand on weight scale as the official proof, below?

The Gazette

Government Notice No. 1207/1966 ordering the release of Awo on August 2, 1966

3 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by pchukwudi: 10:51pm On Dec 30, 2016
Keep deluding yourself. You will soon wake up to the harsh reality that truth cannot be erased.

T9ksy:

Geez! You guys are just unbelievable!

So your "truth" is basically predicated on what IPOB and Ojukwu said! In essence, IPOB -a biafran militant group's statement issued

recently, is enough collaboration to Ojukwu's (-an ex biafran warlord) interview, 15 yrs ago!! shocked

Do you have any thing else that can stand on weight scale as the official proof, below?

The Gazette

Government Notice No. 1207/1966 ordering the release of Awo on August 2, 1966
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by IslamicRebel: 12:15am On Dec 31, 2016
Read this about Islam and you know whether you live in a safe area or not. The percentage population of muslims will determine whether you are safe or not. Please read and share especially with Christians in the Middle Belt.

As long as the Muslim population remains around or under 2% in any given country, they will be for the most part be regarded as a peace-loving minority, and not as a threat to other citizens. This is the case in:

United States -- Muslim 0.6%

Australia -- Muslim 1.5%

Canada -- Muslim 1.9%

China -- Muslim 1.8%

Italy -- Muslim 1.5%

Norway -- Muslim 1.8%

At 2% to 5%, they begin to proselytize from other ethnic minorities and disaffected groups, often with major recruiting from the jails and among street gangs.

This is happening in:

Denmark -- Muslim 2%

Germany -- Muslim 3.7%

United Kingdom -- Muslim 2.7%

Spain -- Muslim 4%

Thailand -- Muslim 4.6%

From 5% on, they exercise an inordinate influence in proportion to their percentage of the population. For example, they will push for the introduction of halal (clean by Islamic standards) food, thereby securing food preparation jobs for

Muslims. They will increase pressure on supermarket chains to feature halal on their shelves -- along with threats for failure to comply. This is occurring in:

France -- Muslim 8%

Philippines -- 5%

Sweden -- Muslim 5%

Switzerland -- Muslim 4.3%

The Netherlands -- Muslim 5.5%

Trinidad & Tobago -- Muslim 5.8%

At this point, they will work to get the ruling government to allow them to rule themselves (within their ghettos) under Sharia, the Islamic Law. The ultimate goal of Islamists is to establish Sharia law over the entire world.

When Muslims approach 10% of the population, they tend to increase lawlessness as a means of complaint about their conditions. In Paris , we are already seeing car-burnings. Any non-Muslim action offends Islam, and results in uprisings and threats, such as in Amsterdam , with opposition to Mohammed cartoons and films about Islam. Such tensions are seen daily, particularly in Muslim sections, in:

Guyana -- Muslim 10%

India -- Muslim 13.4%

Israel -- Muslim 16%

Kenya -- Muslim 10%

Russia -- Muslim 15%

After reaching 20%, nations can expect hair-trigger rioting, jihad militia formations, sporadic killings, and the burnings of Christian churches and Jewish synagogues, such as in:

Ethiopia -- Muslim 32.8%

At 40%, nations experience widespread massacres, chronic terror attacks, and ongoing militia warfare, such as in:

Bosnia -- Muslim 40%

Chad -- Muslim 53.1%

Nigeria--50%

Lebanon -- Muslim 59.7%

From 60%, nations experience unfettered persecution of non-believers of all other religions (including non-conforming Muslims), sporadic ethnic cleansing (genocide), use of Sharia Law as a weapon, and ***ya, the tax placed on infidels, such as in:

Albania -- Muslim 70%

Malaysia -- Muslim 60.4%

Qatar -- Muslim 77.5%

Sudan -- Muslim 70%

After 80%, expect daily intimidation and violent jihad, some State-run ethnic cleansing, and even some genocide, as these nations drive out the infidels, and move toward 100% Muslim, such as has been experienced and in some ways is on-going in:

Bangladesh -- Muslim 83%

Egypt -- Muslim 90%

Gaza -- Muslim 98.7%

Indonesia -- Muslim 86.1%

Iran -- Muslim 98%

Iraq -- Muslim 97%

Jordan -- Muslim 92%

Morocco -- Muslim 98.7%

Pakistan -- Muslim 97%

Palestine -- Muslim 99%

Syria -- Muslim 90%

Tajikistan -- Muslim 90%

Turkey -- Muslim 99.8%

United Arab Emirates -- Muslim 96%

100% will usher in the peace of 'Dar-es-Salaam' -- the Islamic House of Peace. Here there's supposed to be peace, because everybody is a Muslim, the Madrasses are the only schools, and the Koran is the only word, such as in:

Afghanistan -- Muslim 100%

Saudi Arabia -- Muslim 100%

Somalia -- Muslim 100%

Yemen -- Muslim 100%

2 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by raumdeuter: 12:22am On Dec 31, 2016
Islamicrebel

Can you give us the percentage of Moslems in Rwanda, Congo and Zimbabwe and relate it to your story

2 Likes

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by laudate: 4:48am On Dec 31, 2016
raumdeuter:
A former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, on Thursday said his administration released the late Obafemi Awolowo from prison to end the political unrest in the South West and ensure peace across the country.

Mr. Gowon, who spoke to journalists after paying condolence visit to the Awolowos at Ikenne, also noted that he was privileged to have been used by God to ensure release of the late sage from prison.

The former head of state, who was at Ikenne on account of the death of HID Awowolo, disclosed that the late matriarch was the one who persuaded Mr. Awolowo to be part of his military government.

“’It was my fortune and I thank God that it was me that had the opportunity to release Papa from prison from Calabar to Lagos and certainly to be able to help us have peace in the West at that time and then we came,” Mr. Gowon recalled.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

Here is another account that shows why Gowon actually released Ojukwu from prison:

Awo’s wife convinced him to join my government, says Gowon | By Seye Olumide and Charles Coffie Gyamfi in Ikenne |16 October 2015 | The Guardian Newspapers |

FORMER Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, yesterday said he was able to secure the services of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the founder of the defunct Action Group (AG) and former Premier of the old Western Region in his government through the intervention of the late sage’s wife, Hannah Dideolu, who passed on recently.

Gowon said: “If not for the intervention of Mama, I am not too sure whether Chief Awolowo would have accepted to serve in my government. We had to go through her to get Papa to join us in government.”

Speaking during the condolence visit by members of the Obafemi Awolowo Foundation to Ikene on the passing away of Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo, who died on September 19, 2015 at 99, Gowon said that in paying condolence to her, “we cannot do without mentioning her husband, Chief Awolowo, as you all know that he was very instrumental to some of our successes in government in those days.”

He also used the opportunity to appeal to Nigerians on the need to exercise patience and cooperate with the present administration to do the right thing, saying: “There are many problems as there are many Nigerians but there is the need for a lot sacrifice, patience and endurance to resolve them.”

He also commended Nigerian media for the role they have played so far in the course of resolving the challenges confronting the country.

Gowon said: “How did she woo Papa to our side? I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to release Chief Awolowo from prison and he returned to Lagos, certainly to be able to help us secure peace in the Western Region at that time.

“The development made HID Awolowo very excited and she was very grateful and that is what earned my deep respect for her throughout her lifetime.

“But there was also the need to get Chief Awolowo involved in our government because what we wanted at that time was peace, especially when the Western Region was in crisis.

“It is my great honour that God used me to bring him back to his family. What people may not know is that it was through Mama that I was able get the services of Awolowo to join the government at that time and to be the Vice Chairman of our Executive Council and the Minister for Finance and we all knew what he did to ensure that we are able to survive as a nation during those two and a half years of crisis.”

He continued: “Let me tell you something: My hope when I became the Head of State was that at between six months and a year, I would have resolved some of the problems in the country. But I discovered to the contrary, that it was not going to be easy to resolve some of those problems overnight. So we have to be patient with our leaders for them to be able to get things in order.

‘‘She was a very dear wife to her husband. She lived with him and went through the rough days with him. She was there with Papa during the period that he was incarcerated. I am delighted that I saw to it that he was cleared and was reunited with Mama in those days.’’

He added that HID Awolowo’s contributions were tremendous: “I will always thank her for that because if we had not approached her to prevail on Papa to join the government probably he may not have. But he did and I will always say that he did exceptional well and may God bless the two of them.
http://guardian.ng/news/awos-wife-convinced-him-to-join-my-government-says-gowon/
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by raumdeuter: 4:52am On Dec 31, 2016
laudate:
Here is another account that shows why Gowon actually released Ojukwu from prison:

None of those count, Only whatever is written in those IPOB blogs count

1 Like

Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by laudate: 5:04am On Dec 31, 2016
Tobbie9:
Ojukwi said it, obviously it must be d truth grin

Point of correction. Ojukwu's statement was wrong. Here is another viewpoint that shows why.

The 4 major tribes & Nigeria’s problem –Awo’s prison release |9th November 2016 | http://sunnewsonline.com/

Those who say that Lt. Colonel Emeka Ojukwu, the Military Governor of the Eastern Region, rather than Lt. Colonel Yakubu Gowon, the Head of State and Commander – in – Chief of the Armed Forces, released Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the Leader of the Yoruba, from the Calabar prison in 1966 do so because they are ignorant of two facts. These were the day he was set free and that at the time the soldiers of Western, Midwestern and Northern origin were by far more than their colleagues from the Eastern Region in the First Battalion in Enugu, the only army barracks in that part of the country.

Those who say that Ojukwu released Awo give the impression they believe that this was after he had declared the ill – fated Republic of Biafra, when the incident took place nine months before he did so.

As at Wednesday, August 3, 1966 when Awo was freed and returned to Lagos, Gowon was in full control over the soldiers and police in the Eastern Region, most of who were from the West, Midwest and the North, particularly from the latter region. Thanks to Bonny Rivers State-born Mr. Chapp – Jumbo MFR, ifs, who had brothers in the army in 1966 and who carried out research on the Nigerian Army, I now know the strength of the soldiers and the ethnic composition of most of the officers in the Eastern Region, as at the time Awo regained this freedom.

There were 26 officers and 843 non – commissioned officers. The Commanding Officer was Lt. Colonel David Ogunewe, an Igbo from today’s Imo State, who took over when Lt. Colonel David Ejoor an Urhobo, was appointed the Military Governor of the Midwestern Region by General Thomas Aguiyi – Ironsi in January, that year. The battalion in Enugu had three company commanders in the persons of Major Benjamin Maja Adekunle, a Yoruba from the Western Region, Captain Gibson Jalo from Adamawa province in the Northern Region and Captain D.O. Agbogu, an Igbo from the Eastern Region.

Apart from these four commanders, I have the names of 13 of the 26 officers in the Enugu barracks. Twelve of them were from the Northern Region. These were Majors Mohammed Shunwa and I. Bissala, Captain Abubakar, Lieutenant Shehu Yar’Adua (the Adjutant, i.e. Administrative Officer), Lt. Oguchi, Lt. Mohammed Jega, Lt. Dauda Suleiman, Lt. Sale Mahmoud, Lt. A.T.G. Hamman, Lt. Y.Y. Kure and the Yoruba – born twain of Captain Emmanuel Abisoye and Lt. David Jemibewon, both from present – day Kogi State, which was then in the Northern Region. The 13th officer and the third from the Eastern Region was Major Chude Sokei.

The other nine officers whose names are not available are said to have been from the Western, Midwestern, Northern and Eastern Regions.

Ojukwu took control of the soldiers in the East as from August 16 when the officers and men from the Western, Midwestern and Northern Regions were withdrawn from the Eastern Region and when most of the officers from the territory had returned to Enugu from the barracks in the other regions in the country. And this was thirteen days after Awo was released.

Since the overwhelming majority of the officers and men in the army in Enugu were non – easterners, but mostly northerners, it goes without saying that Gowon as the Commander – in – Chief would just have told either Adekunle or Jalo who were company commanders to effect the release of Awo. Even if he had given the order to either of Igbo – born Lt. Col. Ogunewe or Captain Agbogu they could not have disobeyed him, because the Federal Government was paying their salaries and most of the soldiers in their barracks were non – easterners who could have killed them.

If Ojukwu had used either Ogunewe or Agbogu to release Awo when Gowon did not give the order, it is sure that they would have been dismissed after the war in January 1970. Instead of being retired and paid their entitlements in full.

I understand a son of Ogunewe is today a serving Major – General in the Nigerian Army.

Another thing those who say Ojukwu released Awo do not know or realise is that the Yoruba leader regained his freedom five days after the Friday, July 29 revenge coup of northern officers.
http://sunnewsonline.com/the-4-major-tribes-nigerias-problem-11-awos-prison-release/
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by laudate: 5:09am On Dec 31, 2016
\|
raumdeuter:
None of those count, Only whatever is written in those IPOB blogs count

Why?? shocked sad What are their sources? How can one verify such sources? Anyway, here is another scholar's record of the events that shaped Nigeria's political history.

POLITICAL HISTORY of NIGERIA | TIME IN OFFICE | GOVERNMENT | HISTORICAL EVENTS |

January 16, 1966 - July 29, 1966 | Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi | Military - Killed in 1966. | Aguiyi-Ironsi tried to restore discipline within the army, suspended the regional constitution, dissolved all legislative bodies, banned political parties, imprisoned Awolowo, and formed a centralized Federal Military Government. A decree was issued in March of the same year to abolish the federation, and unify the federal and regional civil servants.

July 29, 1966- July 25, 1975 | Yakubu Gowon | Military - Still alive | In July of the same year, northern officers staged another coup, killing Aguiyi-Ironsi and many other Igbo officials. The Muslim officers chose Yakubu "Jack" Gowon (who was a Christian) as the new ruler. Gowon had not actually been involved in the coup but they felt he would be the best compromise candidate to head the Federal Military Government. His first steps included restoring Federalism, and releasing Awolowo from prison.

http://www.crawfordsworld.com/rob/apcg/Nigeria/Unit4NigeriaHistory.html
Re: Yes Indeed! Ojukwu Was The One Who Released Awolowo - Deal With It by asunmoGGMU(m): 2:35pm On Mar 08, 2019
I know those people will still not agree, but let me put it here.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Presidency Explain Yusuff Buhari’s N56million Power Bike. / FG Record ₦1.87 Trillion Trade Deficit In Q2 - NBS / Wild Wild Musa --> Yaradua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.