Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,288 members, 7,839,429 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies (24148 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / Buhari's Deputies In 1985 Vs In 2017 - By Stanley Nwabia / 40 Vehicles Recovered By ICPC From Directors And Their Deputies (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by spenca: 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
Presidency is likely not to sign this although it is the right way to go
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by donefezy: 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
its a joke
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by igwegeorgiano(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2016
AntiWailer:
Liars

They are stylishly pressurizing executives to give Senate President immunity.
liar mohammed brothers
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by wisemaster(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2016
Runaway:
Are u telling us or u r complaining cus I dont know were u stand. But for me this is change. lol

Isn't it Childish of them? When all they think is using vendetta against the executives in order to achieve their selfish interest.

Posterity will not forgive them. Shame!
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by victorazy(m): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
Nice move

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Babatundecash(m): 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

I doubt that. The party that has the Presidency will send opposition party to kirikiri. This is not a good move.
You got it all right.....someone whould have imagine what would have become the fate of Fayose and Wike as an opposition Government........this is a right step in the Wrong direction and if the bill is passed before mid 2017......that means it is PMB till 2023 and APC for ever because the DSS and EFFC will be used to treat and dismantle anything called opposition......USA should not be used as yardstick in term of Democracy to Nigeria......because Here in Nigeria our politicians are more desperate than the devil# I think the status quo should remain like this,both the ruling party and opposition Governors and Deputies should have immunity clause and if it goes the other way round.....the opposition Governors should expect mid night raid from the Sars,Dss,Army and other security agent.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Babatundecash(m): 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:
nonsense. I hate when USA is used as a yardstick in formulating our laws. Just sit down and ponder, how will Buhari use this law if passed. By now everyone would have left the country.
By now PMB would have sent his Dss,Effc after Fayose and wike and all opposition would become dumb.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by SmartyPants(m): 12:21pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:
nonsense. I hate when USA is used as a yardstick in formulating our laws. Just sit down and ponder, how will Buhari use this law if passed. By now everyone would have left the country.

Hope you realize that blanket immunity as currently afforded senior members of the executive in Nigeria means that the governor of any state can one day stop his convoy, get down, pull out a gun and pump your head full of bullets simply because he doesn't like your tribal marks and go scott free?
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by grandstar(m): 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:

The law is against the interest of the executive. How does it empower Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Originalsly: 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

I doubt that. The party that has the Presidency will send opposition party to kirikiri. This is not a good move.
Why wouldn't this be a good move if they do as you say? ... I become president my party throws all your party's thieving and corrupt leaders in prison.... and when you become president your party does the same to mine? ...tell us why this would not be a good move?
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by obataokenwa(m): 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2016
SmartyPants:

Hope you realize that blanket immunity as currently afforded senior members of the executive in Nigeria means that the governor of any state can one day stop his convoy, get down, pull out a gun and pump your head full of bullets simply because he doesn't like your tribal marks and go scott free?
If it happens, the state assembly is there to commence impeachment proceedings against the governor....the only surest way to deprive one immunity and not by making it a freewill for a murderer like.....
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by LorDBolton(m): 12:27pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:

How long will buhari be there?

Look beyond your nose.

Even pdp n ipob can use it against buhari by carefully analysing financial transactions too
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Duru009(m): 12:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
It's impossible....
Thy cannt cos it will still hurt them all later....
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by obataokenwa(m): 12:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
grandstar:

The law is against the interest of the executive. How does it empower Buhari?
tell me how he has used the ones at his beck and call.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by SmartyPants(m): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:
If it happens, the state assembly is there to commence impeachment proceedings against the governor....the only surest way to deprive one immunity and not by making it a freewill for a murderer like.....

Can you give me a single instance in Nigerian history where a state assembly has done such? If politics worked that way, i don't think Nyesom Wike should still be sitting comfy in Rivers govt. house given his long list of crimes, not least of which includes conspiracy to commit murder!

Besides, you appear to be telling me that you think impeachment from office is a suitable punishment for the crime of murder?

2 Likes

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by smileyoo: 12:32pm On Dec 29, 2016
It would 've been a good move, if there 'll be no lopsidedness in its imprementation.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by jamace(m): 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

Let it be. Another party will come and send the previous one to kirikiri too and it will erase corruption and impunity, and restore sanity in our political system.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by SmartyPants(m): 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
smileyoo:
It would 've been a good move, if there 'll be no lopsidedness in its imprementation.

It is not the job of the legislative to worry about that. Their job is to make good laws, which they are doing in this case. Let the Judiciary worry about keeping abuse in check.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by kode12: 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

I don't think so,there's a term in law that I can't remember right now.The law can't be retroactive,so any crime committed by a gov or president before the law is passed can't still be brought before the law.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Corrinthians(m): 12:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
When would they remove constituency projects? Why are all their ammendments targetting onle the executive and the judiciary? Are their own operations perfect?
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by grandstar(m): 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2016
obataokenwa:
tell me how he has used the ones at his beck and call.

The above law reduces his powers. It does not increase it. Did you read the article at all?

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by jericco1(m): 12:40pm On Dec 29, 2016
I'll pee in my boxers the day they pull this shït off
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by obataokenwa(m): 12:44pm On Dec 29, 2016
grandstar:

The above law reduces his powers. It does not increase it. Did you read the article at all?
the ones he's busy disobeying, is it part of his supremacy? He disobeyed court orders let alone when no one got immunity anymore. the worst mistake is having someone that don't have remorse about murdering people as a ruler.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by msjijitar(m): 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2016
End Road for Wike and Co.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 29, 2016
kode12:

I don't think so,there's a term in law that I can't remember right now.The law can't be retroactive,so any crime committed by a gov or president before the law is passed can't still be brought before the law.
I beg to differ from your point. Speaking of following terms in law or what the law clearly postulate, public office holders in Nigeria come short.
EFCC, DSS etc. work on president orders here in nigeria, and not indepently. Personally, I think Nigeria hasn't come up to that level.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by obataokenwa(m): 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2016
SmartyPants:

Can you give me a single instance in Nigerian history where a state assembly has done such? If politics worked that way, i don't think Nyesom Wike should still be sitting comfy in Rivers govt. house given his long list of crimes, not least of which includes conspiracy to commit murder!

Besides, you appear to be telling me that you think impeachment from office is a suitable punishment for the crime of murder?
get my facts. we are not matured for such. Buhari is a wicked man and will even kill any opposition just to be at peace. Wike being a murderer, then Buhari is a blood sucker. what do you have to say about the Shiites and IPOB bloods spilled as if they're cockroaches. Think again will Buhari appear if his appointee (judiciary and police) invite him for questioning. Buhari can kill just to sleep in the night. antidote for him to sleep is to see people dead especially the Igbos.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2016
jamace:
Let it be. Another party will come and send the previous one to kirikiri too and it will erase corruption and impunity, and restore sanity in our political system.
Things don't work that way. If a particular party gets its members jailed by a previous govt of the opposition, and happens to wretles off power from its opposition that previously occupied and jailed its members, don't you think the first on its list would be to release its members and solidify its hold in govt? Therefore what we all will be having is recycling of past criminals in govt. No No
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by cyberguy72(m): 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2016
The sponsor of the.Bill is a PDP member

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2016
SmartyPants:

Meaning the opposition are criminals?
Meaning those in govt (presidency) become saint and oppositions become the corrupts ones.
El-Rufai for example calls PDP members corrupt, when he is part of same PDP for 16 years. How sad.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by jamace(m): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2016
mikezuruki:

Things don't work that way. If a particular party gets its members jailed by a previous govt of the opposition, and happens to wretles off power from its opposition that previously occupied and jailed its members, don't you think the first on its list would be to release its members and solidify its hold in govt? Therefore what we all will be having is recycling of past criminals in govt. No No
Yes, it means those jailed cannot hold political office in the next 10 years or so. This will allow fresh blood into the political class.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by ndubueze92(m): 1:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
Nigeria which way... Another way of going about to get their own immunity... Ever imagined how much this people rack in.... Allowances up and down, even allowances for climbing lifts.... Eating allowances.... very corrupt set of people.... Immunity for them is another way of enslaving the soul of the Nigerian economy.... as for the President.... bla bla..... All that can't work here. Na 9ja be this fa.
Re: Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies by fiponmile(m): 1:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
Mightyraw:
Likes of Ajomobi, aregbe dem are in trpuble

Foyose hOw market

You are very right friend, After series of bail out fund Ajimobi is still owning his people 4 -5 months salaries....

WICKEDNESS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dino Melaye: "The Only APC Man You Can Trust Is The Dead APC Man" / Apologise Over Muslim-Muslim Ticket - Progressive Lawyers For Osinbajo To FFK / $9.6bn: British Firm Listing Nigeria Assets For Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.