Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption (2217 Views)

Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Fulani Herdsmen Sign Pact To End Violence / “buhari Was Accused Of N2.8 Bln Scam As Oil Minister” – Madueke / Nigeria Signed Pact To Import Refined Oil Under Buhari's Regime (NY Times 1984) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by naijamini(m): 4:33am On Nov 20, 2009
BRUSSELS, Nov 19 (Reuters - Reporting by Bate Felix; editing by David Stamp) - Nigeria signed a 677 million euro ($1 billion) pact with the European Union on Thursday aimed at combating corruption and promoting peace in its troubled, oil-producing Niger Delta region.

The agreement will help the oil exporter to tackle challenges in the areas of governance, trade and peace for the 2009-2013 period, the European Commission said in a statement.

The Commission said 166 million euros would be spent on peace and security. A major part of the money will support reforms at all three tiers of the Nigerian government, fighting corruption and boosting electoral reform.

The Commission said about 199 million euros would be devoted to addressing underlying causes of violence and poverty in the Niger Delta region.

"I'm delighted that a substantial amount of this financing will go to support conflict resolution and the peace process in the Niger Delta which has been ravaged by years of unrest," EU Development Commissioner Karel De Gucht said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/africaCrisis/idUSLJ507646
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by SEFAGO(m): 4:34am On Nov 20, 2009
are u kidding shocked shocked shocked?
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by sjeezy8: 4:39am On Nov 20, 2009
wtf is this?
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by naijamini(m): 5:02am On Nov 20, 2009
*****This is a truly sad development
Nigeria coughed out $12.4 billion a couple of years ago  to wipe out a $30 billion of debt, leaving a balance of $5 billion in external debt. That $35billion debt was itself the unpaid balance after paying billions of dollars over several decades. In 2007 or so it was estimated that Nigeria had paid $42 billion in interest and penalities to the Paris club on a loan principal of only $13.5 billion.

*******Below was the promise after the debt relief
Government Ministers hailed the debt deal for Nigeria, which will provide the country with an extra $1 billion a year to spend on anti-poverty programmes. In an interview with the Guardian, Nigeria's Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said: ``We are thrilled by this news. It will mean more money for roads, rural electricity, health, education and HIV/AIDS.'' The plan — which will include strict economic and anti-corruption measures — will involve the most populous country in Africa using the windfall from soaring global oil prices to wipe the slate clean from debts built up in the 1970s and 1980s.

To convince sceptical creditors that the money will be well spent, Nigeria has set up a millennium development committee — chaired by the President, Olusegun Obasanjo — to monitor what happens to the debt relief.

Where is the millenium development committee and its projects now?

Take a look at previous administrations in the chart below, and decide for yourself which history Yar'adua is about to repeat.

Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by walakolobo: 5:08am On Nov 20, 2009
meaningless
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by naijamini(m): 5:22am On Nov 20, 2009
@walakolobo
I was hoping you at least have some decency left between your ears.

It seems though that you are high on your own fart. Truly sorry that you have to stoop this low in service of some other master. I know they make provision for your kind in the salary table - look under Domestic Servant (75% of basic salary), but didn't know they also hollow out the white stuff as a condition of "servanthood".

walakolobo:

meaningless
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 20, 2009
What exactly is this garbage?

The rate at which pacts and contracts are signed and awarded it smacks of something obviously sinister.
I wonder if it has anything to the election in 2011 and xmas?
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 20, 2009
Is the money to shared among the states and fg or what cuz i dont understand
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by MUZBO(m): 1:29pm On Nov 20, 2009
I wonder how much of that 1 billion dolls would've been lost to corruption itself.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by ud4u: 1:58pm On Nov 20, 2009
Government wasting our money to fight corruption when they are the head of corruption. If they change, defintely their subbordinates will change.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by bisiaet: 2:00pm On Nov 20, 2009
Is this government mad for God sake? Why does this government plays around with money for everything anything like this? What is it for goodness sake is this not madness? Oh God why and why Yardua? Why and why Fed. Government pls why? Thousands are dieing of hunger, no good road, nothing i mean nothing and you are dropping such millions of euros to combat corruption, pls who are the corrupt? So it is the so called African devil or Black Man haters now that will fight corruption for us? Yardua why and why and you called yourself a professor pls professor of what? It is a big shame the government has really made mockery of our nation. The Fed. Government did not sign pact to built refinery to ease the pains on poor masses, no pact sign on good road, no pact sign on how to get good health facilities and so on but for corruption but just few days ago the so called Bankole Dimeji was saying Billions of Naira was earmark for official travelling pls travelling to where and what for? Whose business? Is that how US officials just travel or UK Officials,or Germany, or France pls can anybody tells me how many time the speaker of US, France, UK, Belgium, Italy etc has visited Nigeria or any other country? It is a shame.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by OBVIOUS(m): 3:09pm On Nov 20, 2009
Nigerian Leaders ARE MAD. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by baekdoosan(m): 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2009
Does anyone know if this money is free or if Nigeria has to pay it, be it directly or indirectly ?? grin grin
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by OBVIOUS(m): 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2009
Nothing is FREE. Nigeria is a SLAVE because of the stupendous leaders.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by stillfly(m): 4:13pm On Nov 20, 2009
If it's some kind of aid, Naija needn't pay anything for the money.
But hope to use the money smartly and transparently.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Suntemi(m): 4:19pm On Nov 20, 2009
Me no sabi say corruption cost like this O. 1 billa dollars ni men, Its too much Haba. grin
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by hackney(m): 4:22pm On Nov 20, 2009
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Aboki na

Kwuantracts
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by echobee(f): 5:52pm On Nov 20, 2009
they should fight themselves, before fighting corruption. because na our leaders heads corruption start from, and na their head he go finish
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Olayinkaoj(m): 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2009
More than 75% of the money would get to corrupt hands, and corrupt individuals would be asked to be a panel of inquiry to probe, and so on
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by biggozz(m): 6:52pm On Nov 20, 2009
@ Bisiaet, I completely feel you, this whole thing happening seems like a trap of punishment beyond human, daily we hear of activities that are unfathomable freely happning unquetioned and unchallenged by the custodians of leadership AMAZING!!!

that was how a commissioner or senator went public the other time begging all the armed robbers in the state to please stall their robberies until the foreigners that came for world cup have all gone so they can continue, and he did'nt say that at a nite of thousanf laugh, but in a real official duty delivery!!

God is watching.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 20, 2009
obasanjo for whole no fit give whity them that kind money make dem carry am shine,
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by nethacker(m): 8:26pm On Nov 20, 2009
this is another opportunity for them to embessle grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by whiteroses(f): 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2009
naijamini:

@walakolobo
I was hoping you at least have some decency left between your ears.

It seems though that you are high on your own fart. Truly sorry that you have to stoop this low in service of some other master. I know they make provision for your kind in the salary table - look under Domestic Servant (75% of basic salary), but didn't know they also hollow out the white stuff as a condition of "servanthood".

he wasn't talking to you when he said meaningless, he refered to the post so it seem like you are the one high on your own fart cos you researched and preached for us doesnt mean they are talking to you lol
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by transformR: 10:00pm On Nov 20, 2009
Complete joke tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by hax: 11:15pm On Nov 20, 2009
Abegi. Dem go still embezzle that money.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by gerona: 6:33pm On Nov 21, 2009
i will legitimately partake in this venture and benefit from this billions. thats all i know.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by dinggle: 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2009
i tire o, dis EU sef na dem dey cause corruption for we country!, dem no knw say na crime for Nigerian man to hear of millions not to talk of billions?? na too much money be our problem and EU dey add more money to our problem.

Country wen dey cover corruption u still dey give dem money take cover am d more! there is more to dis issue these whites are not clean! wasnt it the UK that released a Libyan terrorist for oil and contracts!!
that billion these white men go take backhand come share for inside.
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by sjeezy8: 8:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
i heard nigeria REJECTED it
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by femilek8(m): 1:36pm On Nov 22, 2009
using corruption to fight corruption, what an irony!
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by tanimz(f): 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2009
How are we sure that it would work?
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by Nezan(m): 9:52am On Nov 23, 2009
femilek8:

using corruption to fight corruption, what an irony!

Am perplexed shocked
Re: Nigeria Signs $1 Bln Eu Pact To Fight Corruption by kehindebad(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2009
You guys should read the link provided before making opinions abeg

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lest We Forget Our Own Internal Bomber / This Is Lagos - Post All Lagos Affairs Here. / Panic In The Police Force: Igp Onovo Might Be Sacked And Replaced Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.