Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] (2993 Views)

Abba Kyari's Burial: FCTA Reacts To Unprofessional Conduct At Gudu Cemetery / Maggots Coming Out From A Woman's Head (Viewers Discretion Advised) / Deformed Baby Delivered In Kaduna Hospital (Viewers' Discretion Advised) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by wjxavier(m): 1:24am On Dec 31, 2016
This is an article I wrote in October and sent to Punch Newspapers. It never got any recognition or mention in the news. I am encouraged to share here because I read about Imota Cemetery. Why is Lagos so numb to death?

When I retire to heaven, I'd like to be cremated.

I'd like the ashes spread over places I've lived and loved. No! Don't keep me in a sealed, airtight jar on the mantelpiece. Let me soar with the wind, and run with the rivulets that form when the rain falls on a typical summers day.

And if you think I'm trying to be poetic, you're wrong. Let me tell you why I said so.

The last time I visited Atan cemetery on university road Akoka was in 2006. Actually, before that the only time I ever entered Nigeria's largest cemetery was in 1998, as a student of UNILAG. We had gone to bury a brilliant only child who had been felled by stray bullets in the wake of violent protests that rocked the nation after MKO's death.

The thing about me is that I don't do funerals. It has to be worth it for me to attend.

In 2006, my friend, another only son lost his mother and I was his chief consoler. All the praise I had for the guys at the military hospital morgue in Yaba, faded away when I saw the state of things in Atan.

By the time we got to the burial spot, the grave had not been dug. Someone pulled "strings" and things rolled into action. As they dug, I shuddered. The loose, soft earth was proof it was very fertile, but it revealed something else.

Clumps of earth sprinkled with human bones hit the ground around us. Alas, it was someone else's grave. Another tenant being evicted for not paying rent.

My friend was disconsolate. I held him.

Then after digging knee deep, they stopped and said "Oya, bring am!". They were ready to bury and close up the earths mouth. WTF!

"This is not 6 feet!" my friend wailed.

"Oga, six feet Na length!, no be depth!"

I remember getting home that night, and telling my diary (there was no Facebook then, or mobile internet) that when I retired to heaven, I'd like to be cremated. I'd like the ashes spread over places I've lived and loved. No! Don't keep me in a sealed, airtight jar on the mantelpiece. Let me soar with the wind, and run with the rivulets that form when the rain falls on a typical summers day.

On Sunday, a street buddy of mine in Akoka had a fall while playing basketball, and went unconscious. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Yesterday, we took him to Atan.

Nothing had changed.

Oh by the way, Atan may well be the wealthiest slice of real estate in Lagos, based on investments of bricks, sand and cement.

But it was still the same. Heck! Atan must not be part of Lagos, because apparently Atan ti baje mehn.

I saw at least three human skulls, one tibia, one badly chewed femur. Chai!

I saw the Tommy boxer shorts that they buried somebody in.

I saw what looked like the leathered torso of a corpse that was tired of stinking.

And to make things even worse, the guys who had to cover the grave demanded a tip -or else.

The earth was still soft beneath my feet. Dark, languid, as if to say "Oga, I dey wait for you".

To which I replied "Yo fada! No be now!"

I didn't shed a single tear. I was too bone-jarred to care.

Someone needs to do something about Atan cemetery.

Afterthought- I forgot to mention. The place has its own Lekki. Just like real life. I guess it was the paupers portion I'd been visiting.

Sent from my iPad

Waju Abraham is the Most-Trusted Advisor, Go-To Source & Strategic Mentor on Digital Client Acquisition to the Nigerian Online Business Community. He blogs on marketing at CabalFood.com

Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by Jewelll: 1:30am On Dec 31, 2016
Then I can't wait for the walking deads to show up. My inventory is just the Zombie perfection.

1 Like

Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by IncredibleJoe(m): 1:36am On Dec 31, 2016
Watch out for Zombie Awakening
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by missioner(m): 2:32am On Dec 31, 2016
This made me teary. Imagine having regular, VIP, VVIP in cementary.
Things have been deteriorating for long in this country.
Govt is far too nonchalant about such a serious matter.
Lalasticlala
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by missioner(m): 2:33am On Dec 31, 2016
IncredibleJoe:
Watch out for Zombie Awakening
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by IncredibleJoe(m): 2:36am On Dec 31, 2016
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by ollymoore: 3:37am On Dec 31, 2016
IncredibleJoe:

what do you want government to do now?
We that is alive what do we benefit from them
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by IncredibleJoe(m): 8:01am On Dec 31, 2016
ollymoore:
ollymoore:

lolz.. they should come and do the needful by covering those corpses
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by Dexema(m): 9:02am On Dec 31, 2016
This is wrong, just wrong on every level, I might just have to consider the op's option of cremation if this nonsense still goes on.
Lalasticlala please people need to see this.
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by adebaxton(m): 7:48pm On Dec 31, 2016
An eye opener
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by wjxavier(m): 9:13pm On Dec 31, 2016
Even Lalasticlala doesn't care. I have done my part.
Re: Atan Cemetery Shames The Dead Too [VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED] by Nickymezor(f): 5:03pm On Jan 01, 2017
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Facts About Cannabis Sativa ! The Green pot . / Home Remedies For Chest Congestion / How Does Someone Overcome Phobia(shyness To Talk In Front Of Many People)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.