Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Know How To Travel With A Wheelchair By Air - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Know How To Travel With A Wheelchair By Air (665 Views)

Photos Of New Boeing 777-300 Aircraft 'Anuli Peggy Onyema' Acquired By Air Peace / Man In A Wheelchair Holding A Moving Truck (Photos) / Photos Of The New Aircraft Launched By Air Peace As Nigerian Pilots Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Know How To Travel With A Wheelchair By Air by aneldaking(m): 5:00pm On Dec 31, 2016
This article is particularly written for those who need more information on traveling with a wheelchair, if you are disabled or having one challenge or the other then this article is for you. Before I go on please i will want to advice my readers, planing to go on vacation on best way to get ready.

Best Advice For A Smooth Journey

If you have arranged to meet assistance staff at a particular time, please try and be punctual to avoid any delays during the airport process. If you no longer need assistance, just them know.
Please I urge all travelers to arrive at the airport at least two hours before the scheduled departure time of your flight.

Allow sufficient time for each stage that means in the case transiting always take 3 to 4 hours transit break time.

Exercise Enough Patience:This Life is too short for you to be frustrated or for you to get angry about. if in case you have missed your buss conveying to the airport, just calm down there are other ways to get to the airport. Looks like you have not changed your currency to that of your country destination? Cool down there are enough business men who are waiting for you right in the airport to buy whatever currency you want to sell from you , have you gotten your yellow card don’t worry there are options for you in the airport. I always advice my readers and friends to always exercise patient I always remind them that they are still better than the rest.

Try to Wake Up Early:Always wake up early to get prepared for your trip over the years I have observed that waking up early always helps in setting up your target country especially when you know the distance from your residence to the airport. Waking up early will always help you get ready to travel stress free. Travellers who get ready before time always don’t have problem in their movements.

Traveling with wheelchairs is allowed as far as the boarding point to the aircraft, that’s where you will be transferred to a special aisle chair. But If you are able to walk a short distance you can as well request for a seat around entrance doors. Your wheelchair will then be stored conveniently for immediate availability on arrival. The airline will always want to pre-board you though its optional by you, all you need is to be at the airport early.

Wheelchair as we all know falls in different categories which I will be listing below though not all the classes of wheelchairs are available on all airlines.

Three Classes of wheelchair:

Normal hand-propelled chairs

Electric wheelchair

Electric wheelchairs

Those with Type 2 wheelchairs should check with the airline, as a leaking battery in flight can be dangerous. It will be necessary for baggage handlers to remove the battery and place it in a special container. This requires the passenger to be at the airport at early before departure.

Most modern confiscated power-operated wheelchairs have some form of safety battery so that they can be lifted without risk of damage to the aircraft. However, it will be necessary for baggage handlers to disconnect the leads from the terminal and to cap them to avoid shorting. This may take some time, so you will have to pre-board. It may be necessary to transfer you to a special aisle wheelchair in the air terminal, and there may equally be a delay on arrival before your chair is available.

The airlines are responsible for ensuring that your battery is reconnected and that your chair is working on arrival at your destination. Electric scooters can also be transported without problems; their battery requirements are the same as for wheelchairs.

As a precaution against loss or damage, always remove all detachable parts before your wheelchair is stored, and label the chair with your name and address and destination airport.

So long as your condition is stable, you are entitled to the protection of the Air Carriers Access Act of 1986, and the airline cannot make limiting regulations.

In the event of a problem with airport personnel, you should require them to contact the Complaints Resolution Officer, who must always be available and willing to deal with your issues. They cannot refuse. However, to avoid problems, make sure that you let the airline know your needs as early as possible. Also, make sure you have adequate insurance to cover damage to or loss of your wheelchair or scooter as well as personal injury.

Hope this article was timely and useful ? if yes please like and share.
Source:http://www.karisastravel.com/2016/12/know-how-to-travel-with-wheelchair-by.html

(1) (Reply)

7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash / Trump Backs Plan That Will Curb Legal Immigration To US / Signs That Nigeria Is The Best Place For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.