Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:36 PM

December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? (7242 Views)

Buhari Completes 12 Stations Of The Abuja Light Rail Project (Pictures) / Obstacles Threaten Lagos- Ibadan Rail December Deadline / The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Blue3k(m): 10:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
There are many ways to describe Lagos; metropolitan, unique, dynamic, the commercial centre of Nigeria and so on – but one characteristic that many people identify with this city is the “crazy traffic”.

So, it was with glee and high expectations that Lagosians and Nigerians alike greeted the news that the Lagos state light rail would finally commence operations in December 2016 as stressed by the Governor of the state, Akinwummi Ambode, at a forum earlier in the year.

The Lagos light rail project started as far back as 2006 and was scheduled to start service by the first quarter of 2014 after the contract was awarded in 2008, before a new timeline of 2016 for Phase I, yet it has been revealed by the Governor that the project will not commence as planned.

Factors that have contributed to this delay have been attributed to cost, which is has raised a few eyebrows because the Lagos state government had insisted that it was committed to the project – a loan of $200 million had earlier been secured from the World Bank. Governor Ambode had also said that the project was driven by commercial loans and bonds leaning on the state’s Internally Generated Revenue.

The Lagos Rail Mass Transit is a system being developed and being sponsored by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) and expected to have seven lines making transportation easier and improving development in the state.
The lines are: Blue (Okokomaiko to Marina) – 27km, Red (Agbado to Marina via Iddo and Murtala Mohammed International Airport) – 31km, Red extension (to local and international wings of the Airport) – 6km, Green (Marina to proposed Lekki Airport) – 26km, Yellow (Otta to Iddo) – 34km, Purple (Redemption Camp to Ojo) – 60km, Orange (Redemption Camp to Marina) – 42km and Brown (Mile 12 to Marina) – 20km. The Blue and Red Lines have been identified as priority routes.

A tale of delays:
In 2008, the contract was awarded to Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) at the cost of $1.2 billion and a completion deadline set for 2011. With little accomplished, June 2013 was set as the completion date by former Governor Babatunde Fashola, but that failed. 2014 was subsequently set but the project still fell through. As it stands, only 16km have been completed out of the 27km for the Blue line.

There were high expectations that the line would be completed but hope is a fragile thing and many are highly doubtful if the project would ever be completed given the economic recession and the fallen value of the naira in the global market.

The multi-billion naira light rail project of the Lagos State Government in some ways is a reflection of how capital public projects are handled in Nigeria – after pompous launching ceremonies and promises, very little is achieved. It is important to stress that value for money and the public procurement economy of Nigeria’s yearly appropriations are reduced by about 40 percent. Inflated project costs affect implementation and delivery, and at the end, public office holders move on to other political aspirations, leaving the populace unsatisfied.

The traffic situation is Lagos is difficult, and in transit, one comes across commuters with stories of how it isn’t getting any easier. Lagos may be termed the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria and on a broader scale, Africa, but if factors such as lost productivity as a result of traffic jams are not addressed effectively with projects such as the light rail, the title might as well be a statement.

Source: http://venturesafrica.com/december-knocking-where-lagos-light-rail/
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Blue3k(m): 10:33pm On Dec 31, 2016
I remember reading it was supposed to be done from multiple sources. Then I see people celebrating foot bridges like they forgot about this project. Any idea when it will be completed? I read some of you invested in the bonds for the project.

Links: http://www.constructafrica.com/news/lagos-light-rail-blue-line-set-december-2016-completion

http://punchng.com/lagos-light-rail-ready-in-december-ambode/

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/125188/lagos-complete-light-rail-project-december

http://www.thebusinessdispatch.com/december-knocking-where-is-the-lagos-light-rail/

3 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by sarrki(m): 10:33pm On Dec 31, 2016
It's in number 35 iweka road onitsha

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by AntiWailer: 10:42pm On Dec 31, 2016
Blue3k:
I remember reading it was supposed to be read from multiple sources. Then I see people celebratin foot bridges like the forgot about this project. Any idea when it will be completed because I read some of you invested in the bonds for the project.

Links: http://www.constructafrica.com/news/lagos-light-rail-blue-line-set-december-2016-completion

http://punchng.com/lagos-light-rail-ready-in-december-ambode/

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/125188/lagos-complete-light-rail-project-december

http://www.thebusinessdispatch.com/december-knocking-where-is-the-lagos-light-rail/

It is on going.

The pillars that the rail will sit on has reached Marina in Lagos Island.

Don't worry it was not abandoned like the one in Rivers State.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by najoke: 11:11pm On Dec 31, 2016
Relax. ..there is an ongoing litigation issues btw LASG and the owners of a rig in Marina obstructing where the rail will pass.
As I said relax. ....we will bookmark this thread and call you and Lasgidi haters when we are done grin

8 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Teniolasmart: 11:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
are u asking me

even tho i didn't read d all story
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 11:56pm On Dec 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 12:02am On Jan 01, 2017

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 12:10am On Jan 01, 2017

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 12:17am On Jan 01, 2017

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 12:19am On Jan 01, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtRF4lyOjs

Chinese construction company builds a light railway in Nigerian capital

The light rail running through Lagos downtown is expected to relieve the heavy burden on the city's fragile road network, with the help of a Chinese construction company.

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Horus(m): 12:24am On Jan 01, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6efXfefA4o

Lagos Nigeria light rail project

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Toosure70: 12:45am On Jan 01, 2017
check your head now
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Boleyndynasty2(f): 1:49am On Jan 01, 2017
Its too early already., give them some time

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by GMBuhari: 2:22am On Jan 01, 2017
OK, abode has heard but what will happen to MMM people?
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by AsiwajuNdigbo: 3:31am On Jan 01, 2017
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtRF4lyOjs

Chinese construction company builds a light railway in Nigerian capital

The light rail running through Lagos downtown is expected to relieve the heavy burden on the city's fragile road network, with the help of a Chinese construction company.

Who wrote this? Help suggests they are doing this work as charity. These yellow mofos are getting paid in foreign currency and a lot. Lagos State is HELPING Chinese Construction Company.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 01, 2017
Light rail should have been completed light years ago. Now money is hard to find. Paying salaries of civil servants is not easy, not to talk of speedily completing mega projects like light rail and Eko Atlantic.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Blue3k(m): 7:24am On Jan 01, 2017
9 years, 1 billion dollars and 4 missed deadlines later. People are posting pictures of uncompleted work, saying give them more time and lastly saying it will be completed eventually. What's the next deadline for project are they going announce.

16km out of 27km complete for blue line only. Then for red and blue priority projects is only 58km. Total for mass rail is 246km.

Ps we're talking about blue line being fully operational only. Not the whole mass Transit system.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by ODDVanguard: 7:32am On Jan 01, 2017
Yinmu. You doubting thomases should relax. The Light Rail is on course. E go do una like filmtrick.

3 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:20am On Jan 01, 2017
There is a timeline.
The timeline was not met, no tangible explanation was given.
This is what happens when you build a house from the roof just like almost every project in Nigeria both past and present administrations
Without a platform for digital accountability to the public , we will continue deceiving our self.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Corrinthians(m): 8:27am On Jan 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Source: http://venturesafrica.com/december-knocking-where-lagos-light-rail/

Where is the pit latrine the governor of your village promissed you people in 2016?

Keep obcessing over other people's business.

9 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Blue3k(m): 12:28pm On Jan 01, 2017
Corrinthians:
Where is the pit latrine the governor of your village promissed you people in 2016?

Keep obcessing over other people's business.

Lol your tears amuse me. Keep making excuses for incompetent behavior. You guys are butt hurt over simple observation.

2 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Corrinthians(m): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol your tears amuse me. Keep making excuses for incompetent behavior. You guys are butt hurt over simple observation.
You should worry more and observe more the pathological crooks you have as governors in your landlocked village. grin
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Blue3k(m): 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2017
Corrinthians:
You should worry more and observe more the pathological crooks you have as governors in your landlocked village. grin

Assuming people are igbo because you're a tribalistic troll. I see why your so willing to make excuses for incompetent behavior. Please shill harder it's your father's tax money. I doubt you have money to buy bonds since you've just entered new you've entered your year dumber. Anyway keep up the Autistic replies I need a good laugh.

3 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Corrinthians(m): 1:02pm On Jan 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Assuming people or igbo because your tribalistic troll. I see why your so willing to makede excuse for incompetent behavior. Please shill harder it's your father's tax money. I doubt you have money to buy bonds since you're just entered new you've entered your year dumber. Anyway keep up the Autistic replies I need a laugh.
grin

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 01, 2017
najoke:
Relax. ..there is an ongoing litigation issues btw LASG and the owners of a rig in Marina obstructing where the rail will pass.
As I said relax. ....we will bookmark this thread and call you and Lasgidi haters when we are done grin

Someone asked a question about a missed deadline for the completion of a project as advertised and that automatically makes him and others asking same questions as las whatever haters?

How will Nigeria ever find it's way out of the abyss with this type of orientation?

2 Likes

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by najoke: 2:22pm On Jan 01, 2017
byrron:

[s]Someone asked a question about a missed deadline for the completion of a project as advertised and that automatically makes him and others asking same questions as las whatever haters?

How will Nigeria ever find it's way out of the abyss with this type of orientation?[/s]
Are you offended. .......Guess you are a LASGIDI hater then grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2017
najoke:

Are you offended. .......Guess you are a LASGIDI hater then grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin

This is a new year pls and it's pretty too early to start constituting e-nuisance.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by najoke: 2:35pm On Jan 01, 2017
byrron:

This is a new year pls and it's pretty too early to start constituting e-nuisance.
I totally agree with you. .......happy new dude. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4657596_foolquotes1_png453ff8bb9897d3e0bc4b9aceb2cf297f
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by jpmoriarti(m): 2:38pm On Jan 01, 2017
I passed the project site. Don't know why they're still stuck at mile 2 when the road peoject is already at trade fair.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Agimor(m): 2:42pm On Jan 01, 2017
It's too early..... For all these jamboree.
Re: December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 01, 2017
najoke:

I totally agree with you. .......happy new dude. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4657596_foolquotes1_png453ff8bb9897d3e0bc4b9aceb2cf297f

Thanks for acknowledging that I definitely wouldn't want to argue with you in other not to automatically become the 2nd fool as factually stated by your self confessed quote.
I'm done with you and I hope I my assertion's ain't ambiguous!

Happy New Year.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Heard That Biafrans Are Protesting In Aba Right Now / Buhari Not Validly Nominated, Says Okupe / We Were Attacked, Our Mosque Was Burnt Down By Our Own Igbo Brothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.