Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,621 members, 7,770,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:36 PM

Defrauded At An ATM Stand - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Defrauded At An ATM Stand (1306 Views)

Man Beats Up Lady At ATM Stand (Video) / Man's Car Burgled Within 12 Minutes Of Using An ATM In Abuja / South Africans Torture An ATM Cards Scammer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 1:42pm On Jan 02, 2017
My friend told me this happened to her elder sister in Nov last year.

Her sister went to withdraw some money at an ATM in Abuja. The line was long, so she waited. When it was her turn, the machine malfunctioned and rejected her card.

She tried twice again, same problem. Suddenly a guy behind her reached out his hand in anger and took the card from her. His complain was that she was wasting everyone's time. He then inserted her card, asked for her pin, keyed it in and then angrily withdrew it and returned it to her with the affirmation that the machine rejected it.

She was on her way to another ATM when she had several alerts on deductions from her account. She informed her husband who asked her where her card was, she replied that it was in her purse. When she pulled it out to confirm, she realised that the card she was holding had a different name altogether.

It was then she realised the 'helpful guy' must have swapped her card. She rushed back to the bank but couldn't find the guy.

150k was succesfully deducted from her account before she could block the ATM card.

This new year, we all must be extra vigilant cos this recession is making thieves smarter. Protect your card and don't let anyone help you that easily during ATM transactions.

I hope this help save someone else.

1 Like

Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 1:57pm On Jan 02, 2017
I recently asked my friend about the issue and she said the bank couldn't do anything since it was a legit withdrawal.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by samtee37(m): 2:27pm On Jan 02, 2017
Ah ah...
Op, how on earth could you give someone your pin. While can't you type it yourself.

Anyway... Sorry for the loss
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 2:31pm On Jan 02, 2017
It didn't happen to me. My friend's sister. I asked the same and the sister said the guy was too aggressive, she just became confused.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 02, 2017
What was she thinking giving a stranger her atm pin code?
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 2:51pm On Jan 02, 2017
NotOfThis:
What was she thinking giving a stranger her atm pin code?

I don't know o. Another thing is why did the machine keep rejecting her card? Did the guy use any electronic blocking gadget? Cos she said she's been using that ATM for transactions with no issues.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by bigtt76(f): 3:46pm On Jan 02, 2017
Maybe she slotted the card wrongly or the chip wasn't making proper contact or maybe the bank ATM she attempted had restrictions on her card issuing bank.

BTW, wasn't she standing by with the guy? She shouldn't have given the card or PIN to the guy on no account. Best she can do is report to the police so they give access to the CCTV recording of the transactions so they can get the guy else its a legit transaction.

megareal:

I don't know o. Another thing is why did the machine keep rejecting her card? Did the guy use any electronic blocking gadget? Cos she said she's been using that ATM for transactions with no issues.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by bigtt76(f): 3:48pm On Jan 02, 2017
She should have allowed the guy go before her if he was too aggressive towards her ....thats how they operate

megareal:
It didn't happen to me. My friend's sister. I asked the same and the sister said the guy was too aggressive, she just became confused.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 4:08pm On Jan 02, 2017
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2017
bigtt76:
Maybe she slotted the card wrongly or the chip wasn't making proper contact or maybe the bank ATM she attempted had restrictions on her card issuing bank.

BTW, wasn't she standing by with the guy? She shouldn't have given the card or PIN to the guy on no account. Best she can do is report to the police so they give access to the CCTV recording of the transactions so they can get the guy else its a legit transaction.

It's like she just left the issue after reporting to her bank.
The guy was behind her. His hand stretched in front of her. I reasoned her actions as stupid but sometimes shit happens.
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by HtwoOw: 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2017
Sleight of hand trick

Works miraculously grin
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 8:17am On Jan 03, 2017
HtwoOw:
Sleight of hand trick

Works miraculously grin

How u take know? U don do am before? grin
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by HtwoOw: 8:24am On Jan 03, 2017
megareal:

How u take know? U don do am before? grin

It's common sense

I have heard it happened before, many people on the queue do not have a real atm transaction to perform

They form frustrated or helper then swipe your card after knowing your pin

That one even rushed , he would have moved from that street or city or state with higher withdrawal limits
Re: Defrauded At An ATM Stand by megareal: 8:29am On Jan 03, 2017
HtwoOw:

It's common sense

I have heard it happened before, many people on the queue do not have a real atm transaction to perform

They form frustrated or helper then swipe your card after knowing your pin

That one even rushed , he would have moved from that street or city or state with higher withdrawal limits

Na wa o. I never heard of it prior to now. Na to extra shine eyes be dat.

(1) (Reply)

Angry Wife Strips Husband’s Pregnant Mistress (shocking Video) / Finally Photos Of The Person Behind UNICAL Killings Unveil / One Of Brazil's Most Wanted Criminals Has Finally Being Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.