Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,235 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy (1634 Views)

Portrait Of Buhari Dressed In Igbo Attire Presented To Him By Nigeria Ambassador / Osinbajo Inspects Areas Affected By Flood In Makurdi, Visits IDP's Camp (Photos) / Gov. Ortom Visits Areas Affected By Flood In Makurdi (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by modsfucker: 6:43am On Jan 03, 2017
The two countries are reportedly affected by the new policy introduced by President Muhammadu Buhari, which sought to ban importation of vehicles through land boarders.

This was revealed by Hausa service of Voice of America.

According to the program, Benin, which sells about 25,000 units of vehicles a month, is now left with a paltry sale of about 2,000 units, a development that is already affecting their economy.

Meanwhile, some car dealers in the North are expressing their opinionss that Lagos State is not a friendly state that will encourage importation due to fear of extortion by both Government and non governmental agencies.

Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by GoggleB(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2017
LET THE CHANGE BEGIN.
Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by Atiku2019: 6:52am On Jan 03, 2017
Okay smiley
Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by Toosure70: 7:31am On Jan 03, 2017
why supporting other people economies when our country can not pay worker's salary
Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by sinistermind(m): 8:03am On Jan 03, 2017
Any one that understands the gibberish above should translate. The only thing I saw is "Washington DC"

1 Like

Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by project8(m): 8:29am On Jan 03, 2017
I hope the policy is not compromised
Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by modsfucker: 8:52am On Jan 03, 2017
sinistermind:
Any one that understands the gibberish above should translate. The only thing I saw is "Washington DC"

It has already been summarily translated and I believe you read it.

1 Like

Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by Agimor(m): 9:07am On Jan 03, 2017
So we should jeopardize our economy in favor of others? More like displeasing yourself to please others.
Re: Benin, Togo Affected By Nigeria's New Vehicle Importation Policy by whirlwind7(m): 10:28am On Jan 03, 2017
Agimor:
So we should jeopardize our economy in favor of others? More like displeasing yourself to please others.

Not really.
Its because Nigeria is so messed up, it can't get simple things right.
A good government would ask itself, "why does my people prefer to buy vehicles from Cotonou and Lome?"
With answers to that question provided, the government will make and implement policies that would make it much easier to buy cars imported through Lagos ports.

First all, the government of Benin and Togo don't charge import duties on cars until the cars are sold! The importer transfers the import duty to the buyer (mostly Nigerians) and this duty is remitted to customs only AFTER the cars are sold.

This practice makes it much easy for vehicle dealers to do business. No need for double and disproportionate taxation. No patronizing touts for short cuts. This also made it possible for those places to have the biggest auto market in Africa. It didn't happen by chance.

Nigeria is just cursed with horrible leaders who can never care about doing what is right. If I have a very big auto market within Nigeria, with competitive prices, why would I bother to go into another country to purchase a car?
Even many car dealers at Berger go to Lome and Cotonou to buy cars to be resold in Lagos. Have you visited the Cotonou park before? You can never cover the entire park in a whole day if you decide to walk around it and do some window shopping. Its just very huge. This is because their government made it very easy to do business there, and this resulted to many dealers.
In fact, a big percentage of them are foreigners, especially Lebanese. With the fact that the population of those countries combined is not up to a quarter of Nigeria, you should wonder how come Nigeria doesn't have the biggest vehicle market in Africa! That alone shows you that something is wrong with our import policy. But trust Nigerian government not to realize that.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Benefit Of Breaking Nigeria up? / 82 Yr Old IPOB Member Bowing To Kanu - Pic / `ipod The Enemies Fo Indi Igbo By Dr. Nicky Okoye.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.