Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,072 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' (793 Views)

This Is The Richest Footballer In The World, It Is Not Ronaldo Or Messi / Messi Is Not Ronaldo And He Would Struggle In PL, Says Ex-barca Star Petit / Not Messi, Not Ronaldo, See Who Was Declared The Most Skillful Player By FIFA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by engrMikemd(m): 6:48am On Jan 03, 2017
CUPER: RONALDO NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN FIFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
The Portugal star is widely tipped to add the revived award to the Ballon d'Or lifted in December, but Egypt's coach is convinced his compatriot is more deserving
Hector Cuper has revealed he voted for Lionel Messi as the FIFA Player of the Year, as he feels Cristiano Ronaldo's performances do not merit the award.
The Barcelona star finished 2016 as the year's top scorer with 51 goals, as he helped the Catalans to their second successive Liga and Copa del Rey double.
Ronaldo, meanwhile, got his hands on the Champions League title for Real Madrid and led Portugal to their first-ever international title with Euro 2016 success.
The striker, however, was not a decisive presence in either final, and Cuper believes Messi's superior displays mean he deserves the award.
"Messi is my compatriot and I had to choose him, but I don't think this affected my decision," the current Egypt coach signalled to Goal .
"He's the best player I saw in the last year. We're speaking about the whole performance. He gave everything to lead Barcelona to the domestic double.
"That also applies for Argentina where he did everything possible to win the Copa America, but he wasn't lucky."
The former Inter and Valencia coach added that, while Ronaldo's titles may lead him to the award, he was outplayed by his great rivals.
"Ronaldo won titles also, but I don't think his performances were good enough to be the player of the year," he said.
"Performance won't be in his favour, it's just the titles that would help him to be in the nominations. You can say I chose Messi for several reasons, not just because he's Argentine."
Cuper will lead Egypt into the 2017 African Cup of Nations in January, having steered the country back into the prestigious tournament after missing three consecutive editions.
source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2017/01/02/31089522/cuper-ronaldo-not-good-enough-to-win-fifa-player-of-the-year

1 Like

Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by engrMikemd(m): 6:52am On Jan 03, 2017
like if you agree, share if you disagree

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 03, 2017
engrMikemd:
like if you agree, share if you disagree
stop begging for likes na, dis is 2017

1 Like

Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by galadima77(m): 7:19am On Jan 03, 2017
Oops!!
Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by acenazt: 7:28am On Jan 03, 2017
Shey When Wesley Sneider and Andres Iniesta been play Their life out that year 2009/2010 Una carry am dash Oga messi? Why Una dey complain??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by engrMikemd(m): 8:20am On Jan 03, 2017
acenazt:
Shey When Wesley Sneider and Andres Iniesta been play Their life out that year 2009/2010 Una carry am dash Oga messi? Why Una dey complain??
You got a point here bro

2 Likes

Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by engrMikemd(m): 8:21am On Jan 03, 2017
lofty900:
stop begging for likes na, dis is 2017
no hating remember this is 2017
Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by Krasid(m): 12:35pm On Jan 03, 2017
Surprising, coming from a fellow Argentine.
Re: 'messi, Not Ronaldo, Is Player Of The Year' by babakb: 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2017
Make una leave ororo alone na.

(1) (Reply)

Be Honest!!! Which Player Made You Start Loving Football? / Vitali Klitschko Nearly Fought Anthony Joshua After The Fight With His Brother / What Bookie Is Your Favourite Bookie And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.