Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,063 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Dreams And Nightmares - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dreams And Nightmares (1184 Views)

Writer's Miseries And Nightmares: Finance / Dreams Could Come True By Tiffany J / In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 1:38pm On Jan 03, 2017
The wall clock struck exactly 1.25 am. My alarm rang. I remember setting it before I fell asleep on my table, knowing full well that the discomfort of my sleeping position would be a factor in helping me get up to study, an even bigger factor than the alarm. I looked at my roommate, course mate and friend, Chisara.
'Chi, wake up. Tomorrow is Opt 571 test. You know Prof likes to confuse people on her contact lens tests.'
Usually,the alarm woke Chisara before me. She had even complained to me several times about not letting her get enough sleep. It was odd, though that she slumbered on, and I didn't think much of it. Till later.
I ignored her and rinsed my face, and tried once again to open the zit that had appeared at the base of my chin to the detriment of my facial beauty. No success.
I left it unopened and dug out my contact lens textbook from my handbag, and tried to continue reading. The material was boring, and after a while I began to nod off. I tried to continue, but I dozed off, but not before setting the alarm for 2.30pm.
When the alarm rang the second time, Chisara's annoyed voice reached me from the bed.
'Osinachi, it's just midnight. Prof comes by 3pm.please leave me to sleep. '
I apologized to her, and tried to continue reading. But the time on my phone got my attention. My Galaxy S7 edge used GPS to tell the time, and was nearly infallible. And I knew I had slept for at least another hour. But my phone said 1.25am. I looked at my watch. Ditto. I looked at my rummy's phone. Same thing.
I, being naturally fearless and curious, opened my door and wandered outside. That's when I noticed oddity number 2. Our Lodge was like new York city, in that it never slept and was never quiet. But at that time, no single soul was outside, and no generator was on.
I looked at the sky, and it seemed alive and malevolent. Clouds in the shape of scary animals chased each other across the sky.
I looked at the horizon, and the mist seemed to form the numbers 1 2 5.
That's when my worries for that day switched from flunking a test to much more sinister things......

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2017
I ran back inside and nearly tripped on two occasions as I raced back up the stairs. The wind seemed to follow me through the small hallway, whistling in my ears and sending my imagination into overdrive. I nearly broke down the door in my haste to get back into the room.
Chisara woke up and asked what was wrong. I found it difficult to relate what I had just witnessed to her. She tried to calm me down in her usual way. Then the door opened of its own accord, and a figure appeared in the doorway. I was sure I locked the door, and since my fearless nature had taken a serious dent not up to 5 minutes ago, I remained quiet and waited for the figure to talk.
It's voice was very soothing, like balm on a wound. It was so soothing that the next thing I knew, my brain shut down, and I knew no more.
I woke up to see a quite cheerful roommate up bright and early, boiling water on our gas cylinder for our bath.
'Bae, wake up. It's nearly 6 am, and Dr Ebere is due in class by 8.'
'Chisara, what happened? Who was that in our doorway?'
She stared at me like I had fallen from the moon and we were seeing each other for the first time.
'Which person? Has 571 muddled your brain that much?'
According to my roommate, I had set the alarm for 1.25 am, woken up to read, and dozed after a few hours on the chair. And she was just waking up for the first time.
My curiosity didn't allow me take her word for it, but being a realist, by the time we were ready for school, I had convinced myself that it was a dream. I even took time to make up, a rarity on schooldays, as I am beautiful enough without it.
School, however, was about to remind me harshly of my night's experience. .....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 10:12am On Jan 04, 2017
I went to class late, and barely managed to get in before Dr Ebere. I sat down in my usual front row seat, and managed to avoid Bobby, a stubborn stalker who had insisted on dating me since our 100 level despite the number of times I had turned him down.
Chioma's greeting brought me out of the reverie I had fallen into immediately Dr Ebere began.
'Hey dear, I'll sit near u in Prof's test oo.'
'Ok,but I didn't read. I had a bad dream that looked so real.'
'Abeg abeg, that's how you always talk. I'll stay with you joor.'
I shook my head and tried to focus on Dr Ebere's boring lecture. And I was sure I was wide awake, but suddenly Dr Ebere wasn't Dr Ebere any longer.
He began to transform before our eyes, and in about ten seconds he was a full grown African elephant. The whiteboard had merged into his great back.
Usually, I love elephants, they are big lumbering but adorable creatures.
My conceptions changed about them that day. Beaches suddenly the elephant saw me, became enraged and charged me.
I screamed, jumped out of the seat, and took off for my life. Only later did I realize the most astonishing fact of all. Non of my course mates had moved a muscle. In fact, they were all acting like this was a normal Dr Ebere lecture.
I slipped and fell on the stairs as I tried to look back. For the second time that morning, I fainted.. .. .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by MissRelly: 11:40am On Jan 04, 2017
gud morning,following,dis is lovely

2 Likes

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 11:32pm On Mar 28, 2017
I woke up in a strange bed, and I wasn't wearing the clothes I had on when I got into class. Instead, I was in a hospital gown and had slippers on my feet. I tried to call the attention of the nurse in the ward(at least that's what it looked like), when I heard a growing masculine voice that I would never have believed to have come from a woman, but we were the only ones in the ward, and I was sure the voice didn't come from a speaker or intercom.
It said two words, two words that reminded me too much of my not-so-dreamlike dream this morning and made my stomach feel like it had suddenly been drenched in icy water.
' 125 years.'
Then, what I took to be a motherly nurse turned to look at me, and that's when I knew for certain that all my previous worries were like children's cartoons.
When I say horrible, I don't know the kind of picture your mind paints, but whatever you imagine, I can assure you it was much, much worse.
I couldn't look at her face for more than about 2 seconds at a time, but I made out fangs, bloodshot eyes with strange purple-and-green irises, skin so wrinkled even an electric iron couldn't have straightened it out, and a nose and ears so horribly disproportionate with the rest of her face that it was almost impossible to focus on the whole face at one time to avoid either going blind, or losing my sanity, or both.
My voice, of course, deserted me, but I managed to croak out the question. Or rather, three questions.
'Who are you?` 'Where am I?' 'What's been happening to me?'
Just as I thought I had experienced the worst, the figure took one at me, took a step closer, and then the smell reached me.
It seemed as if a veil was lifted from my nose.
I won't even bother describing it.
You weren't there. Words alone can't describe how bad it was. At that moment I wished I had no nose, but if wishes were horses.....
Then, before my eyes, my body seemed to decay. My flesh began rotting and falling of in chunks. The figure approached the bed, and it tipped me over.
I fell with a powerful scream in my lungs.
The floor seemed every so far away.......
I bonked my head on my favorite front desk and woke with a start.
Dr Ebere's marker, which he had thrown in an attempt to wake me, sailed past my right ear by an inch.....
'

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by neloyah: 12:23am On Oct 16, 2017
woah..suspense filled★
Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
Debbietiyan and Divepen1 do I go on?
Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Divepen1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2017
Please do.

1 Like

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2017
Nice one, full of suspense! Kindly continue.

2 Likes

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Unlimited22: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2017
'Stand up!!!' he barked.
'What did I say last?'
I...I don't know sir.....
He stared at me.
Very hard.
At first, I hung my head, but a few minutes later I returned the gaze evenly but coolly.
Ever so subtly, his appearance began to change.
It began with a slight blurring of the outlines, like I was viewing him through a translucent material.
Then he turned back to the board and Dr Ebere wrote the same three numbers that had started me off on this spiral that was making me and others doubt my sanity. 125.
With the marker he had just thrown at me.
The marker I had just seen a few inches away on the floor some seconds ago. And he hadn't moved from the board.
When he turned towards me, the scream that had bern steadily building in my throat escaped with gusto, but it seemed to have broken a spell.
Dr Ebere looked normal, at least as normal as a furious lecturer can look.
Naturally I was kicked out of class for disrupting a lecture and would have made a beeline for my lodge had it not been that we were still expecting Prof to come give us her test.
A test I was severely unprepared for.
As I also didn't want to be the subject of an interrogation from my course mates borne entirely out of the curiosity that accompanies the need to have a knowledge of other people's problems in order to deride them, I made for my favourite spot in the library, right next to the only air conditioner.
I intended to shake off the cobwebs and fog in my brain and do some crash studying for the test.
As I started, I slept off.
Again.....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by missuniverse(f): 11:20am On Dec 29, 2017
scary

2 Likes

Re: Dreams And Nightmares by Debbietiyan(f): 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
Unlimited22:
Debbietiyan and Divepe.n1 do I go on?

Yes yes yes...Sorry I'm late. Just got done with the first post and I'm glued!

Update

I love your imagination. Why did you stop in the first place?

Definitely interested in this story.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Writing Prompt: Use The First Line To Continue A Story / Difference Between 'Yours Sincerely' And 'Yours Faithfully' / Czar & The Rich Babe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.