Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,419 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) (1630 Views)

Lynda Chuba Ikpeazu Gives Birth To Twins At 51 - Frontlinenews.com / Senate Recalls Police Man Who Was Wrongfully Dismissed By Police 21yrs Ago(pics) / Sit-at-home: See How Biafra Rendered Nigerian Security Personnel Useless Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by boman2014: 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2017
50 years ago, the future of Nigeria and how it affects the relationship between the three major tribes - Yoruba Hausa and Igbo - rested on a meeting in Ghana in January 1967.

IT WAS THE ABURI ACCORD.

Following the second coup in Nigeria that took place in July 1966 that led to the death of the head of state, Aguiyi Ironsi, tension between Igbos and the rest of the country began to strain.

The second coup which came six months after the first one and was considered a reprisal coup. Ironsi was accused of not taking actions against the Igbo soldiers that were responsible for the first coup and it was reported that although they were in detention, they were still being paid.

The killing of Igbos across the northern part of Nigeria began in May 1966 and this was fuelled by (false) reports that northerners were suffering the same fate in the eastern region. By November
of that year, there was tension between Lt-Col Yakubu Gowon who was the head of state and Lt-Col Odumegwu Ojukwu who was the governor of the eastern region.

Continue....

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by boman2014: 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2017
All attempts at salvaging the impending danger proved abortive
within Nigeria as Ojukwu reiterated that he would not hold any
meeting with any Nigerian officer within the country.

By then, Igbos had started moving to the eastern region and the secession of the eastern region out of Nigeria seemed inevitable.

Then came the Aburi Accord, a move that should have prevented the Biafra war.

Ojukwu led delegates from the eastern region to Aburi in Ghana to meet with Gowon who also led the delegates of the federal government and were hosted by Joseph Arthur Ankrah between January 5 and 6, 1967.

The atmosphere at the neutral ground was tensed although the officers tried to disguise the real nature of the situation by sharing food and laughing at small jokes.

However, an accord was reached and it was agreed that “the legislative and executive authority of the Federal Military Government should remain in the Supreme Military Council, to which any decision affecting the whole country shall be referred for determination provided that where it is possible for a meeting to be held the matter requiring determination must be referred to military governors for their comment and concurrence.

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by NIGHTMAREOO7: 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
angry
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
Table turned. cool

my benz suppose enter this space. cool
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by boman2014: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXK2Er8UZk

“Specifically, the council agreed that appointments to senior ranks in the police, diplomatic, and consular services as well as appointment to superscale posts in the federal civil service and the equivalent posts in the statutory corporation must be approved by the Supreme Military Council.
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by lovere: 12:50pm On Jan 05, 2017
. Brb
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by boman2014: 12:51pm On Jan 05, 2017
The regional members felt that all the decrees passed since January 15, 1966, and which detracted from previous powers and positions of regional governments, should be repealed if mutual confidence is to be restored.”

Sadly however, the result and recommendation of the accord were not honoured by both parties leaving the country to further degenerate into ethnic discord.

On July 6, 1967, Ojukwu officially declared secession from Nigeria signalling the beginning of the Biafra civil war. The war would go on for two and a half years and by the time it ended, more than two million people lost their lives.

Gowon has been blamed for not honouring the agreements reached in Aburi although he has always denied this.

“I was fascinated by that because I can assure you that that (Aburi) meeting was to break the ice and for all of us, the military leaders at the time, be allowed to be able to agree to be discussing
our problems in Nigeria and to solve them.

“What happened to us at Aburi was that I couldn’t make it down (to Nigeria) because I was unfortunately down with a fever.

“Ojukwu got back (before me) and made a statement and that wasn’t what we discussed and that was the beginning of the misunderstanding"

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by boman2014: 12:59pm On Jan 05, 2017
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by zendy: 1:00pm On Jan 05, 2017
Had Gowon not broken the Aburi agreement he signed with Ojukwu in Ghana, Ojukwu would not have needed to declare Biafra and there would have been no war.
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by midol: 1:02pm On Jan 05, 2017
We yorubas were captured like slaves off the streets of yorubaland by hausa soldiers to go and fight Biafra.

My uncle in oshogbo ran into our well to avoid been taken to Abagana. He was captured and whisked down to Abagana. He never returned till today.

4 Likes

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by oglalasioux(m): 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2017
Summary :

If that power hungry, over ambitious dimwit called Nzeogwu didn't murder people old enough to be his grand fathers non of the condition Nigeria is in today would have happened.

The idiot didn't even learn from what happened to his role model, Patrice Lumumba.

1 Like

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 05, 2017
Spaced booked...Waiting on Afonjas. They will come because any topic that has to do with Igbo or Biafraa is like a bait you use to catch fish in the river. Watch and see, they will enter! Oh...one directly above me has entered.
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by prince9851(m): 1:05pm On Jan 05, 2017
one mumu Yoruba gal was naw telling me eat ojukwu detected d war
smh5
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by najoke: 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2017
midol:
We yorubas were captured like slaves off the streets of yorubaland by hausa soldiers to go and fight Biafra.

My uncle in oshogbo ran into our well well to avoid been taken to Abagana. He was captured and whisked down to Abagana. He never returned.
Exactly we ipod are fulani slaves. ...that is why ojukwu disguised as a female ran like a coward that he is. This is why we are fulani slaves up till now.
Abi I dey lie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by prince9851(m): 1:06pm On Jan 05, 2017
midol:

My uncle in oshogbo ran into our well well to avoid been taken to Abagana. He was captured and whisked down to Abagana. He never returned.
lmao
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2017
midol:

Oh God of Nazareth. You have killed me today!
Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by januzajj: 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2017
midol:
We Igbos were killed like Christmas chickens in our cities by Yoruba and hausa soldiers.

My uncle in Onitsha ran into our well well to avoid been taken. He was captured and whisked down to where other Biafran soldiers were preparing to face Benjamin Adekunle. He never returned.
Ehya...check if he is here

1 Like

Re: How Biafra Civil War Could Have Been Prevented Exactly 51 Years Ago (pics/video) by Bigcake: 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2017
januzajj:
Ehya...check if he is here
yes, the one with red berret..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Northern Nigeria Will Be The Poorest If... – Emir Sanusi / Biafra Is Not Going To Happen / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Vanguard Newspaper Headlines [28 July, 2017].

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.