Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,744 members, 7,844,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? (1861 Views)

Why Are Most Theists More Hostile Towards Atheists Than Competing Religions? / Who Is That Theists/atheists You Would Like To Meet Face To Face? / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Is it not contradictory to claim that you don't know how the world came about, yet you are so sure it was not created, demonstrated by your rejection of the existence of God/gods.

prove your god created the world

anyone can spin tales about something unknown, doesn't mean it should be accepted as true on the basis that it can't be disproven

can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the universe and everything in it?

see?

what's unknown is unknown and should remain unknown not filling it with a "god" and claiming it as fact
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

prove your god created the world

anyone can spin tales about something unknown, doesn't mean it should be accepted as true on the basis that it can't be disproven

can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the universe and everything in it?

see?

what's unknown is unknown and should remain unknown not filling it with a "god" and claiming it as fact

How does this justify becoming an atheist, since you claim not to know how the world came about, what makes you so sure that God is inexistent.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:15pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

How does this justify becoming an atheist, since you claim not to know how the world came about, what makes you so sure that God is inexistent.

I don't reject the "Existence" of gods, same way I don't reject the existence of a pink unicorn playing with a diamond the size of a man somewhere in a planet 3Billion light years away from us

what I reject however is the belief in such gods

I hope I'm clear enough?
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

I don't reject the "Existence" of gods, same way I don't reject the existence of a pink unicorn playing with a diamond the size of a man somewhere in a planet 3Billion light years away from us

what I reject however is the belief in such gods

I hope I'm clear enough?

By rejecting the belief in the existence of a God, it means you don't believe in the existence of that God....... it's the same thing actually.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:24pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

By rejecting the belief in the existence of a God, it means you don't believe in the existence of that God....... it's the same thing actually.

there's a difference between rejecting a belief and rejecting god

you reject belief in Vishnu, that doesn't mean you can say with 100% certainty that Vishnu doesn't exist

you reject belief in all other gods except one, that doesn't mean you're saying all the other gods don't exist at all!

rejecting existence and rejecting belief aren't the same things
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 3:29pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

there's a difference between rejecting a belief and rejecting god

you reject belief in Vishnu, that doesn't mean you can say with 100% certainty that Vishnu doesn't exist

you reject belief in all other gods except one, that doesn't mean you're saying all the other gods don't exist at all!

rejecting existence and rejecting belief aren't the same things

So in other words, you believe God exists just like Christians believe other gods exist but do not serve them.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

So in other words, you believe God exists just like Christians believe other gods exist but do not serve them.

it seems you don't get the analogy of pink unicorn and diamond the size of a man I gave up there
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

it seems you don't get the analogy of pink unicorn and diamond the size of a man I gave up there

the definition of the atheism I know, suggests that it (totally)rejects the existence of God not just belief in God, my post was addressed to atheists defined as such.
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:45pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

the definition of the atheism I know, suggests that it (totally)rejects the existence of God not just belief in God, my post was addressed to atheists defined as such.

noun (plural atheisms)
(narrowly) Belief that no deities exist (sometimes including rejection of other religious beliefs)..

(broadly) Rejection of belief that any deities exist (with or without a belief that no deities exist).

(very broadly) Absence of belief that any deities exist (including absence of the concept of deities).

(loosely) Absence of belief in a particular deity, pantheon, or religious doctrine (notwithstanding belief in other deities).

all these are definitions of atheism, I've not met an atheist that claims no god exists, maybe you can point to about 2 or 3 monickers that have claimed such

The "Very Broadly" definition is the stance of most atheists here
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

noun (plural atheisms)
(narrowly) Belief that no deities exist (sometimes including rejection of other religious beliefs)..

(broadly) Rejection of belief that any deities exist (with or without a belief that no deities exist).

(very broadly) Absence of belief that any deities exist (including absence of the concept of deities).

(loosely) Absence of belief in a particular deity, pantheon, or religious doctrine (notwithstanding belief in other deities).

all these are definitions of atheism, I've not met an atheist that claims no god exists, maybe you can point to about 2 or 3 monickers that have claimed such

The "Very Broadly" definition is the stance of most atheists here

So you believe that there is a possibility that God exist?
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

So you believe that there is a possibility that God exist?

same way I think there's a possibility that there's a pink unicorn playing with a diamond the size of a man on some planet 5Billion light years away from us
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 4:02pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

same way I think there's a possibility that there's a pink unicorn playing with a diamond the size of a man on some planet 5Billion light years away from us

So why playing around in the first place, No matter how you try to twist it, everything boils down to the fact that, since you reject belief in the existence of a God it shows that you are negating your assertion of being ignorant of how the world came about which is very contradictory.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 4:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

So why playing around in the first place, No matter how you try to twist it, everything boils down to the fact that, since you reject belief in the existence of a God it shows that you are negating your assertion of being ignorant of how the world came about which is very contradictory.

you're still arguing by assertion

I said I reject belief not existence, how many times do I have to say this? even popping dictionary still haven't made you understand

rejecting existence of anything is illogical especially when such a thing is not disprovable

if I claim there's a pink unicorn playing with diamond the size of a man somewhere in the universe, do you reject the existence? if you do you need to prove your claim then because the burden of proof has shifted to you

that you lack belief in Vishnu doesn't mean you're claiming he doesn't exist

rejecting belief =\= rejecting existence

I'm just repeating myself here, hopefully you'll understand this time
Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by peacesamuel94(m): 4:23pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pastafarian:

you're still arguing by assertion

I said I reject belief not existence, how many times do I have to say this? even popping dictionary still haven't made you understand

rejecting existence of anything is illogical especially when such a thing is not disprovable

if I claim there's a pink unicorn playing with diamond the size of a man somewhere in the universe, do you reject the existence? if you do you need to prove your claim then because the burden of proof has shifted to you

that you lack belief in Vishnu doesn't mean you're claiming he doesn't exist

rejecting belief =\= rejecting existence

I'm just repeating myself here, hopefully you'll understand this time

na waoh, I lack belief in Vishnu is different from i lack believe in the existence of Vishnu.

Alright the summary of everything is that the atheistic stance is an illogical one, bye.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? by Pastafarian: 4:26pm On Jan 11, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Alright the summary of everything is that the atheistic stance is an illogical one, bye.

this is simply circular reasoning, the thread is made for you to prove theism is logical

(1) (2) (Reply)

Save A Sister / Rccg Sunday School 1 October, 2017 / Pls Is There Anything Like Physical Hell Fire Or It's Just A Symbol?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.