Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? (52076 Views)

Help ! Customer Transferred To Wrong Account (GTB) / What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account / I Mistakenly Transferred Money To Wrong Account. Money Placed On Hold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by kemam(f): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2017
all @ Op don't concluded yet,how did you get his number?Just go to the bank they can help you to freeze the money he won't have access that is if the person as not gone to withdrawn the money.IF the money I there with your complain it can be referred but not immediately.you have to follow up.i had similar issues too .In August last year ,the money was reversed in December.
My two cents.You don't need any court order.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Bizzydee(m): 11:54am On Jan 06, 2017
The money sent is 337000 to one musa khadijat also a nairalander, immediately I got the alert sge switched off everything, i have her pictures
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by OlaMiki: 11:58am On Jan 06, 2017
correct
NwamaziNwaAro:
Yes it is..
Visit your OWN bank, write a complaint letter with the customer care unit and a recall/reversal will be initiated. You can also do this via email.

NOTE: It could take longer if it is interbank.

But to effect a reversal, the wrong beneficiary must give consent for the recall to be made.

But there's no cause for worry, a police report presented to the beneficiary's bank could hasten this.

Please be more cautious next time and good luck.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by thunderbabs: 12:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
New year promo!!!

It is never undone. Who the banks epp
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by skinz(m): 12:07pm On Jan 06, 2017
Go to a babalawo .he would advice you better on dis go before its too late
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 06, 2017
Your bank will argue this was self inflicted. Your bank has no responsibility to do this it's not the same as someone fraudlently gaining access to your bank account and stealing. You are covered for theft this was not theft.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
skinz:
Go to a babalawo .he would advice you better on dis go before its too late
grin
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by histemple: 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bizzydee:
ya thats what the bank just told me

It can be done but here are the steps, you have to go the police station and report a case of Obtaining under false pretence (OBT), detailing how everything happened to prove it was actually a fraud.

The police would generate a report and get a court fiat to freeze the beneficiary's account. With that, the beneficiary would have to come to the police and state his/her own side of the OBT allegation.

This is the only way to get your money back .

NB. This process involves money, so it would be needless if the amount is insignificant.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by iberibe1(m): 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2017
There's nothing that is not doable. First approach the bank with the evidence of payment so that the account holder can be contacted to give his consent for reversal. If this fails, kindly go to court and get a court judgment and police report for the reversal of the said amount and present these to the bank. The bank would need to do what is called document confirmation and if it is established that the documents are from competent court of jurisdiction then reversal will be done without the consent of the account holder.

All the bank is after is a legal document that would protect them in case there is a legal battle between them and account holder.

In a situation where after you have reported the case to the bank and nothing was done by the bank by placing the account on LIEN and the said amount was later withdrawn by the account holder, the desk officer who acknowledged your initial complaints will be held liable.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Papasland21: 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2017
NwamaziNwaAro:
Yes it is..
Visit your OWN bank, write a complaint letter with the customer care unit and a recall/reversal will be initiated. You can also do this via email.

NOTE: It could take longer if it is interbank.

But to effect a reversal, the wrong beneficiary must give consent for the recall to be made.

But there's no cause for worry, a police report presented to the beneficiary's bank could hasten this.

Please be more cautious next time and good luck.
It is not reversable unless the beneficiary credited you back.
Police report is useless only court of law could compel the beneficiary bank to reverse the transaction after listening to both side and if the beneficiary account balance is not sufficient it becomes a judgement debt.
My advise is for you to start pleading with the woman to return your money or supply f good or render d service paid for.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by mday: 12:26pm On Jan 06, 2017
Yes! Simply call the customer service number of your bank and lodge your complaints. But if your bank is close-by, simply walk in and lodge your complaints. It has happened to me before on a weekend!
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by darqly(m): 12:26pm On Jan 06, 2017
futurewise11:

Partially true.

The receiver consent is not needed to do reversal.
The point is most bankers are always against reversal because its an appraisal issue and it affect them negatively. Its highly possible but u need to beg and plead before it can be initiated.

This is incorrect please. Bankers are not against reversals as they must always ensure correctness and accuracy in their operations.

Secondly, the poster stated that he initiated the transaction to the account himself, so who's going to get poorly appraised for it?
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by UjSizzle(f): 12:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
All these online purchases where you don't get to inspect the merchandise before payment. I don't like it at all.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 06, 2017
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bizzydee:
I mistakenly sent money to a fraudster last night and her number has been switched off ever since

Mynd44 Lalasticlala please help me out, I'm really in deep trouble

Even your own bank isn't allowed to return it to you.

The only way I know of is to go to court and get the court to give a banker's order directing the receiving bank to pay back the amount into your bank account. You'll need a lawyer for this.

PS: you may also visit your bank (customer care/branch manager); I believe if you there is any other way, they should know and advise you accordingly.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by dearie(m): 12:47pm On Jan 06, 2017
histemple:

It can be done but here are the steps, you have to go the police station and report a case of Obtaining under false pretence (OBT), detailing how everything happened to prove it was actually a fraud.

The police would generate a report and get a court fiat to freeze the beneficiary's account. With that, the beneficiary would have to come to the police and state his/her own side of the OBT allegation.

NB. This process involves money, so it would be needless if the amount is insignificant.

That's your response sir.

No bank can put her account on lien or PND without a court order or police report. The bank will only expose itself to unnecessary litigation if it does that.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 06, 2017
owji:

not true at all. if the transfered fund has reflected in the beneficiary's account, no reversal can be made. But if the transfered fund has not been delivered yet due to bank's network issue etc. You can contact your own bank where the transfer was initiated and make complain. It may be reversed that way.

@OP If the beneficiary has confirmed receiving the money, your money cant come back to you grin

I won't come and discuss on a subject if I had no superior knowledge on it.
I work and handle transfer disputes as this almost daily...remember this was a transfer and not a cash lodgement.
That is where the consent to recall comes in.

Th recipient MUST consent or be compelled to via the law enforcement agencies....I don't need to spell out other legal supportung documents.

Thank you.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Bizzydee(m): 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2017
histemple:

it isn't 30k
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by futurewise11(m): 12:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
darqly:

This is incorrect please. Bankers are not against reversals as they must always ensure correctness and accuracy in their operations.

Secondly, the poster stated that he initiated the transaction to the account himself, so who's going to get poorly appraised for it?

Reversal is a big issue hence, some tellers are reluctant to report it to there supervisor/ teller captain. Accuracy and correctness is part of the job but they preach against reversal because sometimes it need approval from operation head depending on the bank structure.

Secondly, who ever agreed to reverse the transaction must have tangible reason to do so because he might be questioned later.Hence they might told him point blank the transaction is gone.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by histemple: 12:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
dearie:

No bank can put her account on lien or PND without a court order or police report. The bank will only expose itself to unnecessary litigation if it does that.

Did you read my earlier response or you misunderstood anything therein? We are saying the same thing. A court order in this instance is referred to as FIAT.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by histemple: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bizzydee:
its 30k

Okay, quickly go to the nearest police station and report it so they can start the process of getting the required court order to suspend withdrawal transactions in the account.

It would cost you less than 10k to complete the process and you may get your money and all expenses back when the accused is apprehended.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2017
futurewise11:

Partially true.

The receiver consent is not needed to do reversal.
The point is most bankers are always against reversal because its an appraisal issue and it affect them negatively. Its highly possible but u need to beg and plead before it can be initiated.

Hmmmm..

This has little to do with the bank operator so the fear for a low appraisal rating DOES not come up.
This error was not at the bank's instance.

Consent to recall is very important as you really do not know the truth behind this transaction.

Not even an overzealous staff will initiate an unauthorized recall/reversal because of it's grave legal implication.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by histemple: 1:07pm On Jan 06, 2017
Papasland21:

It is not reversable unless the beneficiary credited you back.
Police report is useless only court of law could compel the beneficiary bank to reverse the transaction after listening to both side and if the beneficiary account balance is not sufficient it becomes a judgement debt.
My advise is for you to start pleading with the woman to return your money or supply f good or render d service paid for.

Please be informed that without a police report you can't get a court order in ALL criminal cases.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 06, 2017
dearie:

Untrue fact!!!

Once a bank receives a complaint regarding a fraudulent/wrong transfer, the bank contacts the headoffice of the recipient's bank who puts the DISPUTE SUM RECEIVED ON HOLD or a lien not the whole balance first of all!!!!

A recall process thn begins which entails getting the account officer of the beneficiary to get the beneficiary to consent to a recall or even help apprehend the beneficiary if it is Fraud related.

But note, consent and availabilty of the exact fund transferred must be in place before it is recalled.

A proven case of fraud seldom needs consent and 98% of the time, the fund is applied almost immediately and account abandoned so recall of salvaged amount is possible.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by RHP(m): 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2017
my friend. it depends on the bank tho. but if its GTB, you are on a long thing. you might never get the money back. GTB will request for court order. Getting it is not an easy process.
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Sharplakezy(m): 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
well done!!!....u go send olosho ur school fees abi...she no con show, u wan con reverse money... no b only reverse, na u-turn

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by temmym4(m): 2:42pm On Jan 06, 2017
Dude, you can't get your money back. forget it.

No Bank will reverse a transfer transaction u sent without the consent of the owner. They can easily be sued.

Your boss, the particular person who MAGAdised u will never give the consent.

Getting Police report and involving investigation is as good as nothing and will only lead to more Frustration, more money at loss and time wasting.

The only option you have got is to beg God to change his her heart and send you back your money. which is a once in a long while miracle.

sorry bro. You just got MAGAdised! Awesome way to start 2017 Isn't it Be careful next time.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by tosyne2much(m): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2017
Jessestunch:

Well, I used to think it was not possible until 2 years ago when I got married.. One of my wife uncle who couldn't make it to the wedding at Yenagoa called and told her to send her account number. Two days after he sent 50k but 20 mins after the alert came in, a debit alert followed and the 50k disappeared even before she could call the uncle to say thank you. She called the uncle instantly to explained what happened and he apologized saying an emergency came up and he needed the money back.. Lol.. That he was going to send it the following week.. The following week came with no alert.... And friends, the rest is history.
Nawa oooooh
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by dominique(f): 3:02pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bizzydee:
The money sent is 33700 to one musa khadijat also a nairalander, immediately I got the alert sge switched off everything, i have her pictures

What's her username and phone number
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Bizzydee(m): 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2017
dominique:

What's her username and phone number
Musa khadijat

Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by Bizzydee(m): 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2017
histemple:

Okay, quickly go to the nearest police station and report it so they can start the process of getting the required court order to suspend withdrawal transactions in the account.

It would cost you less than 10k to complete the process and you may get your money and all expenses back when the accused is apprehended.
ok thanks
Re: Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? by iambijo(m): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2017
Bizzydee:
ya thats what the bank just told me
go to CBN and complain, they will make sure the bank check the account, if the money still in the account they will reverse the transaction, but without CBN wallahi they will not do it for you. Or go to ICPC if you can't let go the money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jeff Bezos Becomes Richest Man In History With A Net Worth Of $211billion ( Pix) / Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics / Jamil Abubakar Helps His Wife, Fatima Dangote Adjust Her Shoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.