Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,213 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback (43659 Views)

FFK: Buhari Among Officers That Plotted Killing Of Aguiyi Ironsi 58 Years Ago / Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) / Igbo Soldiers Plotted Coup From Independence Day -david Ejoor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Sunnynwa: 3:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by T9ksy(m): 3:55pm On Jan 06, 2017
zendy:

Would that cerain tribe include Major Ademoyega, Captain Adeleke and Lt Oyewole who were all ring leaders of the coup?

Haba! don't you inherently mischievous folks ever get tired of telling tall tales? None of the names you mentioned above were part of the ring leaders of the Jan. 15th 1966 coup. The actual ringleaders were Major Okafor, Major Ifeajuna and Captain Oji who began hatching their dastardly plot in August 1965. In actual FACT, Major Ademoyega was the last to be recruited by the group in late October by Major Nzeogwu. The other two didn't get to know about the coup until the night of the 14th, January 1966 at the meeting held in ifeajunna's residence in Apapa.

source=====> SPECIAL BRANCH REPORT: Military Rebellion of 15th January 1966

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by mcquin(m): 3:56pm On Jan 06, 2017
When are we going to sit down as Nigerians and talk? Seun create a national conference here on Nairaland mbok.

1 Like

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by nnokwa042(m): 3:57pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:
Do you know history at all? First and foremost, Aguiyi Ironsi did not take part in the Coup. He had no idea there was a coup until he got the wind of it. The five Junior Officers otherwise known as The Five Majors with Ifeajuna as their ring leader also wanted to kill Ironsi as he had killed other officers from other tribefortunately Ironsi got wind of the Coup and botched the Coup, assumed power and decreed a Unitary Constitution. What made the North angry was that after the Coup was botched Ironsi did not Court Martial the Plotters of the Coup instead the Northerners claimed he promoted the Coup Plotters. Ironsi tried to pacify the North by offering the some Northern officers key position in his office and he released some officers who had been thrown in Prison by the Five Majors.. The Northern Officers - humiliated did not care and those released from Prison planned a way to carry out a Counter Coup which was carried out in July 1966.. A very bloody Coup. The Northerners saw the January 15 Coup as an 'Igbo Coup' but in reality Ifeajuna the ring leader of those that carried out the Coup was just an Igbo in paper. Spoke Hausa fluently, dressed like an Hausa when he was not on Uniform had lot of Hausa friends.
Let this be known: Ironsi did not partake in the coup he just got the wind of it as he too would have been killed..
When the Northerners staged a Counter Coup Igbo Officers were killed in hundreds including Ironsi The Northern Officers demanded that Gowon be made Head of State although he was not the most superior officer, a Yoruba Officer - Ogundipe was but the North rejected him and made Gowon Head of State.
After the Coup, Progroms were going on in Major cities in Nigeria, Northerners and even Yorubas were killing the Igbos in large numbers.. Ojukwu, the Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria alerted Gowon. Gowon promised an end to the Progroms but it did not stop it only got worse... Ojukwu, seeing that the safety of the Igbos could not be assured declared the state of Biafra.. The rest is history

One can clearly see that the wounds of days preceding the war and after the war are yet to be healed. That's why when I see tribes insulting each other I kind of feel sorry for them..
To understand the Nigeria 'story' better, read 'There Was A Country' by Chinua Achebe
not ifeajuna but chukwuma nzeogwu

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Johnrake69: 3:59pm On Jan 06, 2017
Candycrusher:
That was before ojukwu betrayed Gowon and refused to sign the aburi accord

What do you gain by twisting history? All existing literature points to the fact that Gowon backed out of agreement.

7 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by edudguy(m): 4:00pm On Jan 06, 2017
Oh my bad.. Thanks a lot
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by 0b10010011: 4:02pm On Jan 06, 2017
T9ksy:

Haba! don't you inherently mischievous folks ever get tired of telling tall tales? None of the names you mentioned above were part of the ring leaders of the Jan. 15th 1966 coup. The actual ringleaders were Major Okafor, Major Ifeajuna and Captain Oji who began hatching their dastardly plot in August 1965. In actual FACT, Major Ademoyega was the last to be recruited by the group in late October by Major Nzeogwu. The other two didn't get to know about the coup until the night of the 14th, January 1966 at the meeting held in ifeajunna's residence in Apapa.

source=====> SPECIAL BRANCH REPORT: Military Rebellion of 15th January 1966

I like when someone makes point with reference. It actually nails your victim to calvary.

8 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Johnrake69: 4:03pm On Jan 06, 2017
kettykings:

At the Rate you people upturn the truth one wonders if Nigeria would really have honest people

Bro no mind that guy. How some people feel comfortable with twisting the truth is beyond imagination.

1 Like

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by fkdmods: 4:05pm On Jan 06, 2017
fiizznation:
Hassan katsina was a great man. Read one or two journals about him. He was respected among the rank and field, his superior and inferior fellow soldiers all respected him. Is kind of sad that great men like him are nowhere to be found in today's Nigeria. [/color][/i]

Lol.
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by HMZi: 4:07pm On Jan 06, 2017
Candycrusher:
when ur people get slaughtered in their thousands, you can sign any accord presented.... be fair to the memory of the Igbo's unjustly killed by the northerners for no good reason
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Truman155(m): 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
curvilicious:

Abeg ur fvck mouth away from this thread
I know you must be one of those hateful deceptive and cruel tribal bigots.
keep your opinion to yourself I am satisfied with not arguing with nitwits
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by ouzo1(m): 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2017
kettykings:

At the Rate you people upturn the truth one wonders if Nigeria would really have honest people

Baba no mind am,brain dey pain am

2 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Chukazu: 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
Candycrusher:

which school of thought?

2 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by ouzo1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2017
queencalipso:

Was it ojukwu that refused to sign the aburi accord? undecided go and read your history and stop embarrassing your self on social media..

These are the type of people that spread that lie that india defeated nigeria 99 goals to one..so don't take him serious

7 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by psalmsjob: 4:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
kettykings:

Please help me ask him and them.

When I read that comment from him I was like thinking to myself this very question you just asked.

Most people are just deliberately mimischievous in Nigeria. But I won't check out because of them and neither should you because together we can be the "A few good men" that turn things around for good.

Ironsi making his first speech and here we have someone quoting an event related to the civil war!

2 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by thecavemanesq(m): 4:17pm On Jan 06, 2017
[b][/b][i][/i][size=8pt][/size] Ojukwu NEVER BETRAYED Gowon. i believe it was the other way round. Get your facts straight Sir. The Book; There was a country should help you. Cheers... wink smiley
Candycrusher:

1 Like

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by queencalipso(f): 4:21pm On Jan 06, 2017
ouzo1:

These are the type of people that spread that lie that india defeated nigeria 99 goals to one..so don't take him serious

Hahahaha grin I use to believe the story when I was small... We were told that India had spiritual lion in their goal post that's why Nigeria couldn't score.. grin and when they want to score our goal keeper will see a lion and run away from the goal post.. Eww!!

1 Like

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by humilitypays(m): 4:21pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:
I disagree First and foremost, Aguiyi Ironsi did not take part in the Coup. He had no idea there was a coup until he got the wind of it. The five Junior Officers otherwise known as The Five Majors with ImNzeogwu as their ring leader also wanted to kill Ironsi as he had killed other officers from other tribefortunately Ironsi got wind of the Coup and botched the Coup, assumed power and decreed a Unitary Constitution. What made the North angry was that after the Coup was botched Ironsi did not Court Martial the Plotters of the Coup instead the Northerners claimed he promoted the Coup Plotters. Ironsi tried to pacify the North by offering the some Northern officers key position in his office and he released some officers who had been thrown in Prison by the Five Majors.. The Northern Officers - humiliated did not care and those released from Prison planned a way to carry out a Counter Coup which was carried out in July 1966.. A very bloody Coup. The Northerners saw the January 15 Coup as an 'Igbo Coup' but in reality Nzeogwu the ring leader of those that carried out the Coup was just an Igbo in paper. Spoke Hausa fluently, dressed like an Hausa when he was not on Uniform had lot of Hausa friends.
Let this be known: Ironsi did not partake in the coup he just got the wind of it as he too would have been killed..
When the Northerners staged a Counter Coup Igbo Officers were killed in hundreds including Ironsi The Northern Officers demanded that Gowon be made Head of State although he was not the most superior officer, a Yoruba Officer - Ogundipe was but the North rejected him and made Gowon Head of State.
After the Coup, Progroms were going on in Major cities in Nigeria, Northerners and even Yorubas were killing the Igbos in large numbers.. Ojukwu, the Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria alerted Gowon. Gowon promised an end to the Progroms but it did not stop it only got worse... Ojukwu, seeing that the safety of the Igbos could not be assured declared the state of Biafra.. The rest is history

One can clearly see that the wounds of days preceding the war and after the war are yet to be healed. That's why when I see tribes insulting each other I kind of feel sorry for them..
To understand the Nigeria 'story' better, read 'There Was A Country' by Chinua Achebe
This is the summary of what caused the Nigerian civil war; the 1966 pogrom (mass killing of Igbo civilians living in northern Nigeria by Hausa/Fulani/etc) after Aguiyi Ironsi was killed in a bloody 1966 counter coup!

Let it be known to all that Boko Haram insurgency is not ordinary, it's spiritual, it is nature's own way of rewarding northern Nigeria (Hausa/Fulani) of the 1966 pogrom against Igbos!

You can't keep killing innocent unarmed visitors living in your land (a taboo) and still expect peace and progress in your land, it can't happen! Those who kill by sword shall die by sword!

Those who kill innocent visitors in their land has angered God and nature because you owe your visitor security so if u kill your visitor, God and the law of nature will be angry with you!

Nature fights for the just, innocent and defenseless, so I want to fore-warn my Yoruba brothers, desist from following Hausa/Fulani to kill or persecute any other tribe; be it Igbo, Ijaw, Idoma, etc that did u no wrong if you don't want God and nature to visit Yoruba land with their wrath and vengeance.

Vengeance is of God not man!

Be a peace loving person, don't kill innocent unarmed human being no matter what or God will put a sword in your family, tribe and clan and your children will turn enemies to themselves!

Northern region will become peaceful and developed when Hausa/Fulani stops killing innocent, unarmed civilians for religion or whatever reasons, if not, the north will never witness peace and development but continuous bloodshed and crises!‎

17 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by ouzo1(m): 4:24pm On Jan 06, 2017
queencalipso:

Hahahaha grin I use to believe the story when I was small... We were told that India had spiritual lion in their goal post that's why Nigeria couldn't score.. grin and when they want to score our goal keeper will see a lion and run away from the goal post.. Eww!!

Just imagine...GOD won't ever forgive that person that invented that story
Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by freshboi88: 4:26pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:
I disagree First and foremost, Aguiyi Ironsi did not take part in the Coup. He had no idea there was a coup until he got the wind of it. The five Junior Officers otherwise known as The Five Majors with ImNzeogwu as their ring leader also wanted to kill Ironsi as he had killed other officers from other tribefortunately Ironsi got wind of the Coup and botched the Coup, assumed power and decreed a Unitary Constitution. What made the North angry was that after the Coup was botched Ironsi did not Court Martial the Plotters of the Coup instead the Northerners claimed he promoted the Coup Plotters. Ironsi tried to pacify the North by offering the some Northern officers key position in his office and he released some officers who had been thrown in Prison by the Five Majors.. The Northern Officers - humiliated did not care and those released from Prison planned a way to carry out a Counter Coup which was carried out in July 1966.. A very bloody Coup. The Northerners saw the January 15 Coup as an 'Igbo Coup' but in reality Nzeogwu the ring leader of those that carried out the Coup was just an Igbo in paper. Spoke Hausa fluently, dressed like an Hausa when he was not on Uniform had lot of Hausa friends.

Keep deceiving urself, he was not a part of the coup yet he promoted the coup plotters, tht shows how irresponsible he is, moreover theres no way he wouldn't have been a part of that coup, the coup planned to appear like he wasn't a part of it but it was, first he was name among the superior officers to be executed, but somehow he wasn't, den he rallied his troop to counter D coup after d damage had already been done, den he assumed office only for him to promote D coup plotters..... So tell me, how was he not part of the coup

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by LorDBolton(m): 4:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:

So achebe (a bloody civilian) and bifran apologist is whose views we should hold to high regard??

Ironsi n ojukwu were marked for death by the coup plotters

Also be informed nzeogwu wasn't the mastermind of the coup... ifejauna was, nzeogwu was the 'arrowhead' of the coup n 'face of the coup'

Whether Ironsi partook in the coup is irrelevant, he benefitted from it

And quickly sought to consolidate power by issuing the unitary decree b.s amongst others let's not forget ojukwu also benefited from the coup and kept his mouth shut.

Obj benefited from the botched coup that killed murtala... did he consolidate power?

Nope! If he was as stupid as Ironsi, he'd be dead by now too.

Pls read up other books not just achebe's, the yorubas never and I repeat NEVER killed igbos during the pogroms, infact more igbos were killed in benue, kaduna than the core north...cos yes "one nigeria" allowed igbos cross the niger & benue rivers to settle in the north.

12 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by T9ksy(m): 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:
The Northerners saw the January 15 Coup as an 'Igbo Coup' but in reality Nzeogwu the ring leader of those that carried out the Coup was just an Igbo in paper. Spoke Hausa fluently, dressed like an Hausa when he was not on Uniform had lot of Hausa friends.

Ol' boy, can you please stop regurgitating this asinine propaganda, Nzeogwu was never the ring leader though he headed the coup plot in the north as he was based in the region. He was actually recruited by Major C. I. Anuforo, 2months into the plot.

Of course, Nzeogwu was just ibo on paper only however when the biafran war commenced he fought with side by side with his fellow ibo people.

Lastly, don't insult our collective intelligence by referring to that pile of junk penned by a senile, bitter, biafran minister of misinformation as the the true history of nigeria.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by PBundles(m): 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
seunmsg:
A certain tribe killed almost all the civilian and military leaders of other tribe to impose one of their own as supreme commander. It was so sweet and they love one Nigeria. Six months later, it was payback time and they shouted blue murder. One Nigeria was no longer possible, they wanted out. Up till today, they still want out but no way. We must all continue to enjoy the one Nigeria they killed Tarawa Balewa, Ahmadu Bello, Ladoke Akintola, Ademulegun, Maimaleri, Shodeide etc for.

edudguy:
Do you know history at all? First and foremost, Aguiyi Ironsi did not take part in the Coup. He had no idea there was a coup until he got the wind of it. The five Junior Officers otherwise known as The Five Majors with Ifeajuna as their ring leader also wanted to kill Ironsi as he had killed other officers from other tribefortunately Ironsi got wind of the Coup and botched the Coup, assumed power and decreed a Unitary Constitution. What made the North angry was that after the Coup was botched Ironsi did not Court Martial the Plotters of the Coup instead the Northerners claimed he promoted the Coup Plotters. Ironsi tried to pacify the North by offering the some Northern officers key position in his office and he released some officers who had been thrown in Prison by the Five Majors.. The Northern Officers - humiliated did not care and those released from Prison planned a way to carry out a Counter Coup which was carried out in July 1966.. A very bloody Coup. The Northerners saw the January 15 Coup as an 'Igbo Coup' but in reality Ifeajuna the ring leader of those that carried out the Coup was just an Igbo in paper. Spoke Hausa fluently, dressed like an Hausa when he was not on Uniform had lot of Hausa friends.

You are so very correct. In addition to that and for the record because SO FEW SEEM NOT TO KNOW....This wanting to split the country was INITIALLY STARTED BY...................GOWON! yes many will be surprised. But records show and you can look this up ( its actually documented within the British logs). As stated in the Army journals:

He was about to buy the idea - thank GOD the British High Commissioner and some of the permanent secretaries advised against it." DS Abubakar says 'the British High Commissioner said: "If you dare do this kind of thing - confederation - that is the end of you". So that is why we came back to federalism.'

In fairness to Gowon, thought it had been rumored that he was one of the coup plotters, records due back his claim that he was not and was actually appointed when Ogundipe, who was the rightful candidate due to rank, declined. This was confirmed by Obasanjo years later.

It has been rumored that the main reason was......guess why...another shocker... OIL, yes. The British were able to convince him that OIL would be incredibly valuable and this was in abundance in non Northern regions. Though this has never been confirmed.

So you see, there are actions and counter actions which are sometimes unnoticed which are of paramount importance when all laid down in their entirety. Get all the FACTS before passing judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by intruder15(m): 4:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
Candycrusher:

it's because of posts like this that makes it mandatory for history to be compulsory in Nigerian education.

please don't broadcast ur ignorance when asked who failed to sign the aburi accord. cuz it's vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback by Spongia1(m): 4:39pm On Jan 06, 2017
edudguy:

This, my friend is fvcking brilliant. But, don't you think Achebe wrote the book from an Igbo perspective. I do feel to know the real truth about the Civil War, one would have to read an unbiased account from none of the principal actors.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fly Over And Road Construction In Epe, Lagos Ongoing (Photos) / Emeka Ihu Stabbed In The Eye For Preventing Destruction Of Billboard In Rivers / Fayose Attacks Buhari Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Daily Sun(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.