Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? (6324 Views)

Nigerian Webmasters, Lets Go On Strike / For All Nigerian Webmasters From Fouani Nigeria Ltd (lg) / Nigerian Webmasters' Association? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by bestbiz: 10:27pm On Nov 24, 2009
@Poster,
Have it in mind that Nigerian webmasters are really trying with web development, the few site you pass through might not be enough to judge the millions of websites that have been created by them.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by vislabraye(m): 1:29am On Nov 25, 2009
At least i know that Nairaland is different atleast. If IM can be introduced into the forum, it would be the bomb
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by alleno: 1:35am On Nov 25, 2009
This thread is really disappointing.!
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by stede(m): 3:50am On Nov 25, 2009
we are developing. in the next 5 year we would have step up than we ar today
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by sixbon2000(m): 7:31am On Nov 25, 2009
Guys, at the end of the day feel free to use whateva works for u. Its all about enjoying what u do and making ur client happy at the same time.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by sixbon2000(m): 7:40am On Nov 25, 2009
i really dont think notepad is worth bragging with,
if you use tools like dream weaver, you still need to be able to create codes all by yourself.
same think you will do in that notepad, just that code coloring, syntax highlighting etc. will help you spot errors quickly and fix them.

to me, only foolish people will have dreamweaver installed and still spend hours in notepad when there is no competition going on.

Why is this getting to u dual-core
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by ogzille(m): 7:58am On Nov 25, 2009
This post is the result of a real survey of a thousand naija based websites across different sectors.

For those that said that the post is being too general, i said that 75% only are below expectation. This means that 25% are very okay.

Let us not get personal, if u are in doubt just google out some twenty nigerian websites ( this has to be random ) and you will find out that u will appreciate only 5 websites out of the 20.

Maybe ur site(s) will be among the 20.

For kokotee, i think u are bettter as an advertiser.

Let us all continue to make the difference
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Afam(m): 8:04am On Nov 25, 2009
Kokotee007:

Poster: I think it is at best disingenuous for you to generalise in the way you did. There are Nigerian websites out there that are right up there with the rest of the best in the world.

I know because I have built several myself.

Go check out http://www.egetwhy.com

You should NOT make such blanket statements, dude,

Did you actually design the egetwhy.com website yourself or you installed a copy of a web project?

I am confident that some Nigerian websites are even better than some you see in any part of the world. However, we should know when to claim ownership of anything and when to give credit to owners of web projects.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 8:08am On Nov 25, 2009
sixbon2000:

Why is this getting to u dual-core

Is it?
Save your breath, nothing here gets to the core. My surface is illusive so don't count on it wink
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by sixbon2000(m): 8:09am On Nov 25, 2009
Afam, u r correct jare
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by sixbon2000(m): 8:10am On Nov 25, 2009
Is it?
Save your breath, nothing here gets to the core. My surface illusive so don't count on it

lol
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 25, 2009
Dual Core:

Is it?
Save your breath, nothing here gets to the core. My surface is illusive so don't count on it wink
thats creative.
i use notepad++ too, it has code coloring, and supports a wide range of languages too , i was referring to plain notepad as some developers claim.

i met some mad ass developers recently, trust me, these guys are very good at what they do,
while sharing experiences, one of the guys talked about his passion for notepad, the normal plain boring windows notepad

Not knowing we will be working together on that same project that brought us together.
only to discover that the guy is actually very good at using dreamweaver.

I just hate pretense
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 9:23am On Nov 25, 2009
I'm not saying anything is bad with using Dreamweaver o. What I really hate to see is someone using Dreamweaver solely in Design view, someone who doesnt even know the Split and Code views exist (there are people like that).

As per using the plain Notepad, I cant. Its too backward.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by prince0(m): 9:27am On Nov 25, 2009
You that is saying we should use our own designs instead using others, have taken time to see the pictures u used in the website you posted for us to see? Are they local contents or foreign? before you start criticizing others do to urself first.
http://www.celeugonabo.com/
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:52am On Nov 25, 2009
guys, leave matter for another era. let us just keep doing the best we can and as long as we follow standards and offer value, the best will always rise to the top (eventually)
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by nitation(m): 10:32am On Nov 25, 2009
@lager

Sometimes the best remain underneath if they don't map their strategies correctly.

As for the dreamweaver issue, the software is not meant for the beginners, else, you will end up with series of bug. For instance you are in an interview and you have been asked to program/code using Notepad (windows plain text editor), you will run into problems for sure. I have encountered this in the past.

How many of us here can program a complete website using Notepad? thats the question we should be asking!

My view is, learn the basic/structure/features of HTML/CSS before full-speeding with DW

- nitation
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Kemjisuper(m): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2009
Hey people, I'm no webmaster, but I like to play around with Dreamweaver. More of a Graphics guy, but I'm hoping to get some inspiration form the true guru's of this forum though I'm a bit put off by the notepad coding thingy.

I've done a personal trial at www.kemjisuper.faithweb.com

I'll definitely improve on it with time and hopefully join the rank of the Great Webmasters of Nigeria!!!  cool
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by nitation(m): 11:14am On Nov 25, 2009
Nice try though, before you know it you will be developing large applications and branding for corporate institutions. I remembered back then in Lagos, the first time I saw a friend's sub domain, it was "faithweb" from freeservers/50megs. I was so so interested that I spent hours - days learning how to be a developer. What a memory you brought back.

Kudos

- nitation
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by abijawara: 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2009
Dont you think we are focussing on the wrong thing? While the website designs have to be great, they have to be functional too.

You see some websites that look great but by the time you start browsing through the site, you discover that they are not functional at all
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Afam(m): 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2009
abijawara:

Dont you think we are focussing on the wrong thing? While the website designs have to be great, they have to be functional too.

You see some websites that look great but by the time you start browsing through the site, you discover that they are not functional at all

Tell them.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Elgaxton(m): 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2009
Nigerians like it the hard way u know.

Just learn ur basics and explore whatever options you have.

Hope u guys have seen my own site

Flash site,

www.sbitz.com
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by fitinwell: 10:08pm On Nov 25, 2009
that a great one, must Nigerian web designers are familiar with ready made templates some go as far as using template from dreamweaver, we are not actually helping our sef it's just a pity my hosting subscription just got expired www.bolajimedia.com i designed that using Adobe studio from scratch with my own concept, logo and brand color,

well check dis out for my pastor www.solomonikokide.50g.com using html from the scratch also,
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by DualCore1: 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2009
brand new*
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Elgaxton(m): 9:18am On Nov 30, 2009
so which of u guys came to test my contact form with ASDF as email and text. you try well well
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by pie1ect(m): 10:59am On Nov 30, 2009
@everyone

I hail ooo!. . .

@ topic

I think using a blanket generalisation like that is misleading. Yes, there are lazy Nigerian webmaster. What should also be noted is that most of the people calling themselves "webmasters" would actually be classed as "web developers". There are designers and developers (as we've discussed in some past thread). Designers in practice, design websites. They dont install content management systems, they dont develop templates, they dont code, not with dreamweaver not with anything else all of which you would typically find the Nigerian webmaster involved in.

The problem(?) is that in most cases, the designer is also the dveloper who also happens to be the multimedia guy (some experience with flash) and he is also the guy creating the logo AND the site content. C'mon, you can only ask so much of one person. I think that's why you see so many seemingly half-baked websites in Nigeria.

My point is there is no standardisation in the web design/development (or software as a whole) profession in  Nigeria and as long as that remains the case,  we should thank God for some of the better-looking websites we see from Nigerian practioners (if I can use that word).
There will come a time when the chaff will be separated from the wheat, as the potential online customer pool for Nigerian businesses widens more and business owners being to understand that getting a crappy website on the cheap is akin to leaving money on the table.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 30, 2009
pie1ect:

@everyone

I hail ooo!. . .

@ topic

I think using a blanket generalisation like that is misleading. Yes, there are lazy Nigerian webmaster. What should also be noted is that most of the people calling themselves "webmasters" would actually be classed as "web developers". There are designers and developers (as we've discussed in some past thread). Designers in practice, design websites. They dont install content management systems, they dont develop templates, they dont code, not with dreamweaver not with anything else all of which you would typically find the Nigerian webmaster involved in.

The problem(?) is that in most cases, the designer is also the dveloper who also happens to be the multimedia guy (some experience with flash) and he is also the guy creating the logo AND the site content. C'mon, you can only ask so much of one person. I think that's why you see so many seemingly half-baked websites in Nigeria.

My point is there is no standardisation in the web design/development (or software as a whole) profession in Nigeria and as long as that remains the case, we should thank God for some of the better-looking websites we see from Nigerian practioners (if I can use that word).
There will come a time when the chaff will be separated from the wheat, as the potential online customer pool for Nigerian businesses widens more and business owners being to understand that getting a crappy website on the cheap is akin to leaving money on the table.
You have said it all.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 11:21am On Nov 30, 2009
pie: welcome back. wey you been dey hide? cool
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by pie1ect(m): 11:46am On Nov 30, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

pie: welcome back.  wey you been dey hide?  cool
I just dey float around space, my brother. Im back on earth anyway, hopefully for good this time.

I hail O.
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by deb(m): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2009
Is this also a lazy job from a Nigerian designer? www.k-sticks.com
Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by yawatide(f): 4:11pm On Nov 30, 2009
deb: take a look at the screen shot below, from the about us page, as viewed in FireFox and you tell me if the guy who did it could be deemed lazy. Or, does the guy have a broken arrow going in one ear and coming out the other?  cool

Re: Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? by deb(m): 4:41pm On Dec 01, 2009
Mr yawa-ti-de

Agreed the site is incompatibile with Firefox. what else?
I don't like criticism for the sake of it. Its a great job and the flash is sweet check it out on IE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fedena V2.0 – Open Source School Management System / Sygnifik.com Is A Scam SEO Website! Beware!!! / Truehost Review : This Is Not A Paid Review (Worst And Good Experience)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.