Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book (645 Views)

Read A Book Today!!! / How Do I Publishe A Book In Our Nigerian Market (offline) / What Is The Difference Between Reviewing A Book And Summarizing A Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by iraborosasu: 10:20pm On Jan 06, 2017
So i've been writing for more than 2 years now. Never been published. Can never seem to finish a book no matter how devoted i am to the project. I always get bored with my characters easily and then move on. Please help if you've experienced this before, what do i do? My dream is to win the Caine Prize for African Writing Next year. I have more the 5 unfinished projects.
Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:23pm On Jan 06, 2017
iraborosasu:
So i've been writing for more than 2 years now. Never been published. Can never seem to finish a book no matter how devoted i am to the project. I always get bored with my characters easily and then move on. Please help if you've experienced this before, what do i do? My dream is to win the Caine Prize for African Writing Next year. I have more the 5 unfinished projects.

Outsource it out... Other writers will help you.
Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by iraborosasu: 10:26pm On Jan 06, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

Outsource it out... Other writers will help you.

My conscience will Kill me.... I would feel like the work is adulterated
Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:28pm On Jan 06, 2017
iraborosasu:

Sorry you are on your own now.
Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 06, 2017
iraborosasu:

If you cant finish a book, that means you aint a good writer. You dont deserve the caine prize then.
Outsourcing is a Big NO for me cos it kills the originality of content.
I will suggest you get like minds as yourself,read your book to them, let them have an idea so they can project suggestions or forms in which you can use to conclude your work. I would have really loved to help but am seldom available. Wish you success

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 07, 2017
It's the bane of every writer. Writers have a plethora of ideas. As soon as you get mid way through a story, you get a much better idea which you are dying to explore.

There're so many articles online that offer tips on how to battle writer's ADD. Successful writers will tell you they almost gave up on their books several times. You just have to stick with it. Set a daily limit of at least 300 words (whether it's good or bad, just drive the story forward). You aren't going to finish a book with the same enthusiasm with which you started it.

The most valuable thing in your situation, however, is a writers' community where writers are motivated by fellow writers, and where they are required to show weekly updates of their work. It's a strict structure that drives you forward. There's 'The Write Practice' that does this for a monthly or yearly fee. The free forums like Medium, Writers cafe, or fiction press are not as effective because you aren't paying for reviews.

Also, give you characters depth. Discover their secrets along the way, things that surprise even you (the writer), so that you don't get bored quickly.

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by basti1212(m): 9:27pm On Jan 07, 2017
iraborosasu:

Are sure? or are you just looking attention? I'm a published author. If you are serious, inbox me @ bastiette@gmail.com, let's discuss how you can move forward.
Re: Please Help!!! Can't Finish A Book by iraborosasu: 10:28pm On Jan 07, 2017
basti1212:

Are sure? or are you just looking attention? I'm a published author. If you are serious, inbox me @ bastiette@gmail.com, let's discuss how you can move forward.

If i needed attention i'd go to instagram

(1) (Reply)

/ / The Fabric Red Rose / New Man Movement Gift Out New Man Prize At Messiah High School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.