Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) (52575 Views)

Lady Advertises Her Goods With Music And Dance In Market (Photos) / Fire Outbreak At Oshodi Market, Shops And Cars Destroyed (Photos, Video) / BREAKING: Lagos Govt Demolishes Shops Near Ikeja Computer Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by armadeo(m): 9:56pm On Jan 07, 2017
oshodi.

this hood will always be a target

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by TheMascot(m): 9:57pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

We are both saying the same thing, but you just see it from a different point of view.

You said Lagos gets the highest revenue which is exactly same thing I'm saying.

Despite having the highest revenue, they are the most indebted state. Isn't that an irony

Don't think Tinubu and his stooges brought development to Lagos because Lagos has been developed far before Tinubu became a governor. He only came to reap where he didn't sow.

Talking about my state, Give my state Governor, Willie Obiano same revenue and watch him turn Anambra around.
Gracias!
of course they will have the highest debt..every government runs on debt..some of them are PPP and uncompleted projects like the eko Atlantic city.. others are capital projects, wait..because USA is richer than Nigeria do you think they are not in more debt then we are? even in football real Madrid is rich but still have one of the highest debts..the point is the higher you earn the higher your responsibilities..the more servants you have to pay, the more social amenities you have to provide..it's called Government..your state creates more revenue than Kogi right? check and see who has higher debt before the bailout came

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 9:59pm On Jan 07, 2017
mmsen:

If the South-South and Lagos state have had the worst governors then who do you think has the best?

I'm genuinely curious because Lagos generates more IGR than the entire North and has a GDP that is double that of Kenya's.

Lagos having the highest IGR wasn't done by the governors. Lagos has always had the highest IGR since when it the capital of Nigeria.

For best governors look and the core north and south east. Though they are all mediocre but look at what they do with little IGR and allocation. They are the least indebted states in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by uzolexis(f): 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2017
Beesluv:
Hope they will rebuild it as soon as possible. Man seriously needs source of income in this recession era

the sad part is that, if they build a modern market, they make the stalls/shops so expensive and unaffordable for these small businesses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

We are both saying the same thing, but you just see it from a different point of view.

You said Lagos gets the highest revenue which is exactly same thing I'm saying.

Despite having the highest revenue, they are the most indebted state. Isn't that an irony

Don't think Tinubu and his stooges brought development to Lagos because Lagos has been developed far before Tinubu became a governor. He only came to reap where he didn't sow.

Talking about my state, Give my state Governor, Willie Obiano same revenue and watch him turn Anambra around.
Gracias!
Lol how can we give you Lagos revenue. U for go take New York own sef. Lagos has the highest igr but not highest federal allocation. So admit when you are wrong

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by checkolatunji: 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:
Seems Ambode is more concerned about beauty than economic development

So many news about demolition but few about economic development.

Lagos has never had a good governor.

In my opinion, they are _fucking over hyped... Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode can only be rivaled by south south governors when it comes to worst governors ever

Excess IGR and federal allocation. What does Lagos have to show for it... Highest debt in Nigeria

The ipob yoot below me will always see tribal sentiment in every news

Because they are not exporting UGU worth 5 billion naira they are over hyped?

Kwantinue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 10:06pm On Jan 07, 2017
TheMascot:
of course they will have the highest debt..every government runs on debt..some of them are PPP and uncompleted projects like the eko Atlantic city.. others are capital projects, wait..because USA is richer than Nigeria do you think they are not in more debt then we are? even in football real Madrid is rich but still have one of the highest debts..the point is the higher you earn the higher your responsibilities..the more servants you have to pay, the more social amenities you have to provide..it's called Government..your state creates more revenue than Kogi right? check and see who has higher debt before the bailout came
Those you mentioned have things to show for the debt, but you can't say the same about Lagos.
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

Lagos having the highest IGR wasn't done by the governors. Lagos has always had the highest IGR since when it the capital of Nigeria.

For best governors look and the core north and south east. Though they are all mediocre but look at what they do with little IGR and allocation. They are the least indebted states in Nigeria
You just said it yourself "they are mediocre"-so lets end it there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 10:09pm On Jan 07, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol how can we give you Lagos revenue. U for go take New York own sef. Lagos has the highest igr but not highest federal allocation. So admit when you are wrong
Lagos has the highest IGR not because of their governors.
It has always being that way since Lagos was the capital of Nigeria. Before Tinubu ever dreamt of being a governor
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by freeborn76(m): 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

They are the least indebted because they do not have any project to execute. When a government is building a 4th Mainland Bridge, building a 10 lane Badagry Expressway, running a fully-functional Export Processing Zone, building rail projects and expanding the city through new super highways in Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry, then such state cannot but be indebted. Your state is 'debt free' because the highlight of your year is the new yam festival that gulps 30% of the budget...abeg leave us alone in Lagos and focus on your debt free state.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by mmsen: 10:33pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

You dismiss Lagos's high IGR - can you explain why Kano's is so low? It's an ancient city that was once a thriving trade city, allegedly.

In order to acquire debt you must have assets and revenue to borrow against. Having low debt is not an achievement.

Nigeria needs roads, schools, hospitals and educational facilities - this is especially true of the core north where there is a serious problem with poverty and illiteracy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Duru009(m): 10:36pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ambode has a vision...... .

God bless him. His political future is very bright.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2017
Good...
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by progress69: 10:50pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

In my opinion, they are _fucking over hyped... Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode can only be rivaled by south south governors when it comes to worst governors ever

Excess IGR and federal allocation. What does Lagos have to show for it... Highest debt in Nigeria

Omode

Let your governors also do things what will make them over hype them! Shikena

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2017
mmsen:

You dismiss Lagos's high IGR - can you explain why Kano's is so low? It's an ancient city that was once a thriving trade city, allegedly.

In order to acquire debt you must have assets and revenue to borrow against. Having low debt is not an achievement.

Nigeria needs roads, schools, hospitals and educational facilities - this is especially true of the core north where there is a serious problem with poverty and illiteracy.

Which schools, hospitals and education facilities were built by Tinubu, Fashola or Ambode

For roads, I'm yet to see any state that stands Kano.

The major problem of the core north isn't bad governance but conservative religion
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 10:59pm On Jan 07, 2017
freeborn76:

They are the least indebted because they do not have any project to execute. When a government is building a 4th Mainland Bridge, building a 10 lane Badagry Expressway, running a fully-functional Export Processing Zone, building rail projects and expanding the city through new super highways in Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry, then such state cannot but be indebted. Your state is 'debt free' because the highlight of your year is the new yam festival that gulps 30% of the budget...abeg leave us alone in Lagos and focus on your debt free state.
Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria, I wonder why such huge amount of money spent on such a tiny land mass has little to show for it.

Most northern state are over 10 times the size of Lagos

Go to kano state and see bridges that took a short while to complete.

Lagos hasn't gone half way with her railway after close to a decade. Haba.

Go to the north and see good roads.

The 10 lane badagry express way is partly funded by ECOWAS.

Same with the railway
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by mmsen: 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

Which schools, hospitals and education facilities were built by Tinubu, Fashola or Ambode

The major problem of the core north isn't bad governance but conservative religion

Lagos doesn't have the same education deficit that Kano or Kaduna suffer from. There are sufficient schools in Lagos when one takes into account the vast array of private schools. The same cannot be said for the core north.

AKS has much better roads than Kano, likewise southern Cross River.

Lagos has good roads on the island, the mainland is improving under this governor.

Why do you detach the bad governance from the conservative religion when the two go together? Have the state governments ceased the wasting of money on state sponsored hajj? Could that money not be better spent on education? Do any of the governors speak out against the religious handicap that the people are forced to labor under?

Which northern governors do you believe to be 'good' and why? How can states that barely create any IGR be considered in good hands? Why is Kano's IGR so low when its population is said to be so vast?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Bluffly: 11:13pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

Humane environment is likewise key.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by freeborn76(m): 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria, I wonder why such huge amount of money spent on such a tiny land mass has little to show for it.

Most northern state are over 10 times the size of Lagos

Go to kano state and see bridges that took a short while to complete.

Lagos hasn't gone half way with her railway after close to a decade. Haba.

Go to the north and see good roads.

The 10 lane badagry express way is partly funded by ECOWAS.

Same with the railway

Lagos has a population of close to 21 million people on about 4000 sq.km. Despite the fact that majority of Lagos' inhabitants are not indigenous to the state, it provides free healthcare, free education and unbiased social service to all who call the city home; unlike other states who retrench workers from neighboring states because they are 'non-indigenes'. You mention Kano, but forget to mention that unlike Lagos, its developmental concentration is in Kano Metropolis and not the entire state. You mention good roads and fail to mention the impact 30 years of military rule had on infrastructural imbalance between the North and South...

No matter what anybody says, if you are truly a Lagosian like me or you call Lagos home, you would agree that the Lagos of 1999 is not the Lagos of today...take a few seconds to playback the Lagos of 1999 and you would see how far we have come... Eko baje ti!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by freeborn76(m): 11:18pm On Jan 07, 2017
XXLDICK:

Why don't you relocate to Kano then and let us have one less person in Lagos?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by simiolu1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 07, 2017
boykas:
I wonder what people will be eating... You can't just destroy things without notice.. Pray to God to give the people affected the multitude to bear the loss.. O no Ifun, o na orun ni.

I can authoritatively tell you that the traders were giving due notice. I have a friend whose mum has 2 shops in that market. He told me this morning that the market had been demolished overnight.

What the shop owners are complaining about is the settlement LASG will be giving them. Some bought those shops for close to 1.5million naira and some more. But LASG is only willing to pay 500,000 naira.

Get your facts right next time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 08, 2017
Biafrans are the target! You fools do not hear. Come and establish in Biafra Land. Stop begging to stay in other people's land.
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by davidif: 12:35am On Jan 08, 2017
SexyBabe001:
The Lagos state government task force on Saturday 7th Jan., 2017 demolished the popular Oshodi market. The market has been the target the government in remodeling it into a world class market area, traders were seen salvaging some of their wares as the demolition continues. See more pictures below..

Source:
http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2017/01/lagos-state-govt-demolishes-oshodi.html

Wow! Don't this people have a local govt they can petition to stop this destruction of property from the Lagos state govt?
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 1:12am On Jan 08, 2017
mmsen:

Lagos doesn't have the same education deficit that Kano or Kaduna suffer from. There are sufficient schools in Lagos when one takes into account the vast array of private schools. The same cannot be said for the core north.

AKS has much better roads than Kano, likewise southern Cross River.

Lagos has good roads on the island, the mainland is improving under this governor.

Why do you detach the bad governance from the conservative religion when the two go together? Are the state governments still not wasting money on state sponsored hajj? Could that money not be better spent on education? Do any of the governors speak out against the religious handicap that the people are forced to labor under?

Which northern governors do you believe to be 'good' and why?

Lagos has abandoned it's public schools

I can still remember the quality of Lagos public schools as at the 80s and 90s. Now they are nothing to write home about.
The only good schools in Lagos are private schools.

Ever since Lagos stopped being the capital, almost all development are private sector driven.

Private sectors build their companies in Lagos because of localization, proximity to supply and demand. No west Africa state has more population density than Lagos.

Pin point one major completed project by the Lagos state government since 1999.

Lagos smallest state with the highest IGR has more bad roads than Kano which is over 10 times bigger than Lagos.

Speaking about conservative religion, if you become a northern governor, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it in a democratic setting.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 1:16am On Jan 08, 2017
freeborn76:

For your information, I didn't say kano is better than Lagos.

I only said kano has better governors
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by SmartMugu: 1:24am On Jan 08, 2017
boykas:
I wonder what people will be eating... You can't just destroy things without notice.. Pray to God to give the people affected the multitude to bear the loss.. O no Ifun, o na orun ni.
I'm sure there must have been some type of prior notice. People probably disregarded it. Only a mad person will up one beautiful day and order bulldozers to ruin other people's means of livelihood. Not really sure if the governor is one.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 1:24am On Jan 08, 2017
freeborn76:

Lagos has a population of close to 21 million people on about 4000 sq.km. Despite the fact that majority of Lagos' inhabitants are not indigenous to the state, it provides free healthcare, free education and unbiased social service to all who call the city home; unlike other states who retrench workers from neighboring states because they are 'non-indigenes'. You mention Kano, but forget to mention that unlike Lagos, its developmental concentration is in Kano Metropolis and not the entire state. You mention good roads and fail to mention the impact 30 years of military rule had on infrastructural imbalance between the North and South...

No matter what anybody says, if you are truly a Lagosian like me or you call Lagos home, you would agree that the Lagos of 1999 is not the Lagos of today...take a few seconds to playback the Lagos of 1999 and you would see how far we have come... Eko baje ti!
Virtually almost all states in Nigeria (if not all) offer free schooling and health care

No state benefited half of what Lagos benefited in the 30 years military rule and you know That.

Most development in Lagos from 1999 are private sector driven.
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by AbuHammaad: 1:55am On Jan 08, 2017
XXLDICK:

Virtually almost all states in Nigeria (if not all) offer free schooling and health care

No state benefited half of what Lagos benefited in the 30 years military rule and you know That.

Most development in Lagos from 1999 are private sector driven.

Private sector will only invest if the government creates the enabling environment and infrastructure. This is a state that was denied FA for years and still managed to pay salaries

Give credit to whom it's due.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by XXLDICK(m): 2:11am On Jan 08, 2017
AbuHammaad:

Private sector will only invest if the government creates the enabling environment and infrastructure. This is a state that was denied FA for years and still managed to pay salaries

Give credit to whom it's due.
The reasons private sector invest in Lagos are
1) localization- many industries are already in Lagos, so it's economically viable to locate yours there too
2) proximity to supply- many industries import some of their raw materials and only Lagos has functional ports.
3) nearest to market- if you plan to expert your goods, Lagos is the place... If you plan to sell locally, Lagos is the most profitable place due to it's population density rivaled by none.

Tinubu owed workers when the state was denied federal allocation. Of which the IGR should have been enough to sustain Lagos
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by wi5dom(m): 3:10am On Jan 08, 2017
davodyguy:

Development in a chaotic atmosphere? Where's that obtainable?

With the stupid man hours wasted daily along Agege Motor due to that market, how's that contributing to economic development?
Talking about economic development in terms of well-being....this channel of development robs Paul to pay Peter.
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by redsun(m): 4:12am On Jan 08, 2017
freeborn76:

Lagos without bursting and hurstling of the so-called outsiders will be left with trampy area boys with no economic viability. However,it is very important for a city to be constructively structured, irrespective of how many get hurt in doing. And happening in a country where government does not exist for the citizens,it is a double tragedy.
Re: Lagos State Govt Demolishes Oshodi Market (photos) by grandeoj09(m): 5:27am On Jan 08, 2017
Generalyemi:
brethren ,to live in Lagos is not a must

seconded !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sam Hart Opens Made In Aba Collections In UK (Pictures) / Aziza, Sani Dangote's Daughter Graduates From UK University (Photos) / Rosemary Adebutu Is Dead! Kessington Adebutu's Wife Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.