Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise (878 Views)

Poem Writing.... Let's Improve Our Mind. / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Terrentius(m): 1:24am On Nov 24, 2009
I have just thought of this exercise, a bit like a writer's drill, whereby anyone on this blog can write up a paragraph of not more than 100 words and then the other writers can follow up by rewriting the paragraph using their technique. It would be heplful, if they explain their train of thought and imagination.

To kick it off I'm just going to input a small extract of one of the manuscripts on my upcoming comic book.

Abstract
Basically, the extract is about Jimmy being caught out by his wife. It's a bit blurry, but a descent start.

The Lazyboyz Extract
By Terrentius Ashwell

‘Jimmy can I have a word?’ She said restlessly following me into the bedroom.
‘Yeah what about?’
‘This?’
She held out her right  hand high, and between two of  her fingers was a blue durex condom. Not very pleased by her finding, I could tell.

‘Oh,  that?’ I tried to mask my hesitance.

‘Yeah that! What is this condom doing here?’
‘Oh that? Yeah, I er, I got that from the doctor’
What for? We don’t use any in here so what is it doing  in your pocket then?  She raised her left eyebrow in that sort of enquiring stance women make when they try to get information out of their husbands.
I could have told her off for peeping through my pockets, again, but that seemed trivial considering the circumstances. Besides, it could have opened another can of worms, like the lipstick she found on my collar last Friday. I had come with the lamest excuse ever when I said a woman from work had tumbled into me while we were in the elevator and that during her unfortunate misstep, she left  lipstick prints on the inside of my collar, twice. Pathetic.

‘Well, er babes, I got that from the doctor yesterday. You’re the one who was complaining abut the pill so I thought I could do you a favour’ I thought I delivered that one well. She folded her arms in disbelief and that eyebrow was rising  and rising.
‘Oh , really?’ She said. ‘Jimmy you know I had the coil fixed in after we had Katie, so what are you talking about’ She yelled.
‘Shit’ I said to myself. Awkward moment, yes. Was I going to have sex tonight after all this, the answer to that is ‘Does Bin Laden wear a name tag?’ There was a brief moment of silence as I tried to rehearse my reply-definition of futility.  Strange, The only time a man gets penalised by his wife for using a condom. I suppose if another woman’s vagina is at the end off that pelvic glove, the wife would go off like Krakatoa.She should be relieved I had one of those elastic circles, I know guys who swim unprotected home and away. Needless to say, I kept rooting for a distraction. Where were all the kids, when you need them to budge into the bedroom. Instead they prefer to come in here while I’m trying to poke ol’ Miss Hamas here. Gosh, what a nightmare.
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Pweety4me(f): 3:43am On Nov 24, 2009
^Ok is dat your piccccc? cheesy tongue grin
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Caringpro(f): 12:23pm On Nov 24, 2009
@POSTER,

You should have started a paragraph or on what theme? It is a good idea anyway ,
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Terrentius(m): 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2009
That's not my picture bythe way, it's one of the character's in the comic book me and my partners are working on. It's called The Lazyboys.
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Pweety4me(f): 11:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
^^^Dumb question anywayz i should have looked at the gender icon next 2 ur name aight later.
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by MyneWhite1(f): 8:49pm On Nov 25, 2009
I would start it off with

"Jimmy, what is this?" She walked over and slammed the bedroom door and stood before me with the rubber dangling from the tip of her fingers. Her feet tapped out a tattoo on the hardwood floor as her slitted eyes raked hot coals over me.
I sat up on the bed slowly. When I could drag my gaze away from what she held, I looked around for escape. Was it possible to dissolve into nothingness or sink through the floor through the layers of mattress, duvet and sheets, I asked myself.
"What about it?" I asked to buy time as the silence began to wind tightly around us.
"Don't play dumb with me Jimmy! What was this condom doing in your trouser pockets?"
She had called it by name so no more beating about the bush.

For gift ideas this holidays check out my book, http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=4531432
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by Terrentius(m): 12:00am On Nov 26, 2009
Excellent take MyneWhite. Your experience is exhibited in the piece. I can see you like to to create what's at stack by painting a vivid picture using amongst many things, body language and physicalities

For example

, dissolve into nothingness or sink through the floor through the layers of mattress,
, silence began to wind tightly around us,
, her feet tapped out a tattoo on the hardwood floor as her slitted eyes raked hot coals

The physicalities, as I like to call them, are exactly what is missing in my piece. I, on the other side like to delve into the thoughts of the narrator, how he perceives what's going on and how he is random, raw and naive in his thoughts, typical of promiscous men.

Thanks.
Re: Let's Improve Our Writing Skills Together By Doing This Writing Exercise by iyeyemi: 6:34pm On Nov 29, 2009
Lagos was really lovely at night - the ride across the uncharacteristically free third mainland bridge was turning out to be a very wonderful idea indeed. I reclined the seat as i watched her beautiful face reflecting the brilliant rays from each street light that whizzed past.

My wife was always the spontaneous type , 'Dear, I have an idea that will help ease the stress of the week" That idea was this - a ride around town at 7.30 on a saturday evening. It turned out to be brilliant idea, as the breeze caressed my face, frayed nerves received the miraculous touch of nature and I was slipping into some sort of nirvana, when all of a sudden she pulled over, almost violently.

I jerked up straight fearing the worst, perhaps she had sighted robbers up ahead. Instead, she whipped out a condom, turned toward me and burst out, 'Whose is this?'  As if in a trance i responded, 'M-m-m mine, sorry, ours dear"

'But we have never used rubber and you know I would never consider it" By this time the engine was off. 'Jimmy, the matter is simple, tell me the truth, or we are going to spend this wonderful evening together on this wonderful spot and who knows what wonderful guests we might entertain'

The truth? It was going to be a very long night indeed.

(1) (Reply)

Bring Me Your Memories / Blogging: How Do You Know Your Blog Is Moving In The Right Direction / Gtb Bank And First Bank Are Recruiting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.