Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,539 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? (4583 Views)

Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Putting My Writing Skills To Test / Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 11:41am On Oct 31, 2009
please i need your tips and ideas.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by posakosa(m): 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2009
write everyday

keep an active journal

read a lot
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Muhseen(m): 12:42pm On Oct 31, 2009
I wish I could help ya out. LOL grin
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by kvolander: 4:43pm On Oct 31, 2009
posakosa:

write everyday

keep an active journal

read a lot

Yes read alot especially newspapers. Also, try to listen to international news (CNN and BBC although national news helps a bit too) frequently.
Thereafter, you have to keep applying any new words or sentences learnt every other day.

Hope this helps.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Princek12(m): 5:09pm On Oct 31, 2009
You guys may say whatever you want but I recommend reading English and American newspapers and magazines, if you really like reading newspapers. This is because not only will reading Nigerian newspapers fail to enhance your writing skills, but it will also worsen your current writing skills.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by mrperfect(m): 5:25pm On Oct 31, 2009
Just be reading and writing every day.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by bawomolo(m): 5:29pm On Oct 31, 2009
Read a lot of newspapers and journals.

you could even take a writing class in some local college.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by agathamari(f): 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2009
join an online writers club
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by naijacutee(f): 5:58pm On Oct 31, 2009
Read local and international newspapers and articles, especially those online. Independent, The Guardian, Times Online (Search for them) are quite popular newspaper sites in the UK. You can look up unfamiliar words using dictionary.com or thesaurus.com
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2009
read backwards,
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by muffins(f): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2009
Going back to nursery school and learning Handwriting. undecided
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by posakosa(m): 6:54pm On Oct 31, 2009
^^^^^^ lol--- only mama-gee
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by vislabraye(m): 7:55pm On Oct 31, 2009
@ poster. You want to become a professional writer like Grisham and the likes, or you just want to know the rudiments of writing?
Beware of Local Newspaper, many of them contain grammaticl blunders and spelling errors that can fill an empty basin,
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by RuuDie(m): 8:48pm On Oct 31, 2009
agathamari:

u knw any?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by kingsolve(m): 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2009
I'd avise you read a lot of writings of people u admire and also practice writing daily. You get better doing it as time goes on.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by agathamari(f): 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2009
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by greateliso(m): 10:54pm On Oct 31, 2009
vislabraye:

@ poster. You want to become a professional writer like Grisham and the likes, or you just want to know the rudiments of writing?
Beware of Local Newspaper, many of them contain grammaticl blunders and spelling errors that can fill an empty basin,

arrant non-sense
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by toideve(m): 11:02pm On Oct 31, 2009
practice make perfect, get a 2D exercise book and start writting
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 11:40pm On Oct 31, 2009
posakosa:

write everyday

keep an active journal

read a lot

read everyday and write a lot. Thankyou
kvolander:

Yes read alot especially newspapers. Also, try to listen to international news (CNN and BBC although national news helps a bit too) frequently.
Thereafter, you have to[b] keep applying any new words or sentences learnt every other day.

[/b]Hope this helps.
Thanks
agathamari:

thanks for the links agatha
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by chidexy(m): 12:33am On Nov 01, 2009
Get the software WhiteSmoke. It's every writer's help mate. Really good
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Princek12(m): 12:52am On Nov 01, 2009
I would recommend that you desist from reading Nigerian newspapers because they are replete with grammatical and spelling errors, but you can read American and British newspapers. If you like Nigerian material, read books from reputable Nigerian authors like Achebe, Chimamanda, and other Nigerian authors who are trained in writing or have degrees that inherently involve writing. Also stay away from the editorials on Nigeriworld.com, as the editor allows contributions from authors who have no writing pedigree or skill.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Tcrack(m): 11:04am On Nov 01, 2009
Spend more time reading, especially current stuffs. Watch narrative movies(from FOX, 20th CENTURY WARNER BROS) they will give you a good idea of how to start you write up.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 11:15am On Nov 01, 2009
When you guys say practise write everyday What I should write I seem to be able to only write in a specific way
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by olatwo(m): 1:05pm On Nov 01, 2009
YES PRACTISE WRITING EVERY DAY AND WHEN YOU READ,TRY READING ALOUD FOR 15mins @LEAST EVERYDAY.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 2:41pm On Nov 01, 2009
Write what?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2009
Write what?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by vislabraye(m): 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
greateliso:

arrant non-sense

Hey, jackass what do you know?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by oradilo: 5:52pm On Nov 01, 2009
The best way to improve your writing skills is to read some journals, magazines, newspapers, etcetera. Then try to summarise what you read. Try to keep a daily journal where you record events and your thoughts. When reading take particular note of new words, their meanings and spellings. I believe you would improve if you have enough discipline to do all of these. All the best
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by FUNMZIE(f): 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
Read lots of good materials that make use of correct English . always practise by writing down what uve read and think. When writing follow the format of:

-INTRODUCTION
-BODY OF ESSAY OR WRITING
-CONCLUSION

Separate your ideas in paragraphs, avoid using ambiguous words which u are not familiar with the accurate meaning,

enof teaching 4 now lipsrsealed
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 11:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
oradilo:

The best way to improve your writing skills is to read some journals, magazines, newspapers, etcetera. Then try to summarise what you read. Try to keep a daily journal where you record events and your thoughts. When reading take particular note of new words, their meanings and spellings. I believe you would improve if you have enough discipline to do all of these. All the best

Thats what i do now. I also make notes on what i hear on the radio and summarise on paper what i hear
FUNMZIE:

Read lots of good materials that make use of correct English . always practise by writing down what uve read and think. When writing follow the format of:

-INTRODUCTION
-BODY OF ESSAY OR WRITING
-CONCLUSION

Separate your ideas in paragraphs, avoid using ambiguous words which u are not familiar with the accurate meaning,

enof teaching 4 now lipsrsealed
And thanks for your very first nairaland post smiley
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Nezan(m): 11:37am On Nov 02, 2009
You can start by google.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by westcole: 1:26pm On Nov 02, 2009
hay! you got to read anything readable,learn new words,especially strange words like Latin words. i no mean Latin language but words that came from Latin i mean orgin of the words. come to think of it you won go for bee competition? wink but all thesame sa na good thing you won do.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Space For Peoms, Hot Rhymes, Quotes And General Sayings / Which Story Are You Reading Now And Who Is The Best NL Writter According To You / ............

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.