Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. (3292 Views)

BREAKING: Abuja Court Orders Police, Customs To Seize Obasanjo’s Book, ‘my Watch / Chime Attempts To Eject Wife From State House "Detention" / Seize Obasanjo, Atiku Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by AloyEmeka6: 2:34am On Nov 24, 2009
‘Land owners’ take over Stella Obasanjo’s plot - Eject occupants - Demand N2bn ‘agreement’ fee

CONTROVERSY is trailing about four acres of land in Lagos allegedly owned by Stella, the late wife of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Some persons, known as Omo Onile (land owners) who are claiming to be the authentic owners of the land, valued at N2 billion, has evicted DHL Excel Supply Chain Nigeria Limited, a subsidiary of the foremost courier company, DHL, from the premises.

The Chairman of DHL Limited is the renowned businessman, Chief Ade Komolafe.

The land, located at Awori U-turn on the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, is primarily used as a warehouse by the courier company, which serves as the bulk distributor for leading manufacturing companies in Nigeria and overseas.

There were strong indications on Sunday that the company might eventually relocate to neighbouring Ogun State, owing to the huge revenue loss arising from from the disruption of its economic activities so far.

Backed by a team of armed policemen, the natives stormed the premises on Thursday at about 9 a.m. and ordered the company workers to immediately vacate the land, as they said they were there to take possession of it.

Initially, they insisted that the company would not be allowed to move out any of its property apart from the personnel.

The sudden arrival of the ‘land owners’ caused a stir, as the workers and customers who came for transactions with their trucks scampered to safety.

In the melee, the officials of the company made frantic efforts to prevail on the natives, to convince them that they were legitimate occupiers and tenants of Stella Obasanjo, but their efforts proved abortive as the natives stuck to their guns.

A call was put across to Chief Obasanjo for him to intervene, but he reportedly said he was not aware that the place belonged to his deceased wife.

Obasanjo was also quoted as saying it was against the African custom and tradition for a widower to inherit the property of his wife.

Instead, he was said to have advised the company to call Muyiwa, Stella’s son, who is based in the United States, so that he could save the day.

The source claimed Muyiwa did not pick his phone when calls went through, leaving the company to consider temporary alternative means of getting out of the quagmire.

Following the increasing impatience of the natives, officials of DHL made further efforts to prevail on the ‘land owners’ for dialogue on their claims.

However, they allegedly remained unyielding that the company should immediately vacate the land without removing any of its property.

But they later gave a concession that DHL could be allowed to remove some of its property, such as heavy-duty vehicles if it was ready to pay a sum of N3 million.

After some negotiations, the two parties reached a compromise and the company, it was learnt, paid more than N2million before it was allowed to move out several articulated vehicles, forklifts, cars, among other utility vehicles.

Sources said the ejection caused serious disruption to the operations of the company, as it had to seek a temporary refuge in a snake-ridden virgin land in Ota.

It has also led to a colossal loss of revenue for DHL, as a source said it had a daily target of N150 million revenue from the distribution of products of one of the leading manufacturing firms in the country alone.

Meanwhile, the natives were said to be asking for N2 billion as part of a formal agreement before the company could return to the premises for normal operations.

It was gathered that goods worth millions of naira were still trapped in the warehouse.

Some armed regular policemen and tough-looking persons were on surveillance at the disputed land when the Nigerian Tribune visited the area at the weekend.

There were claims that Stella Obasanjo reportedly purchased the land from John Holt Nigeria Limited, which once had an assembly plant for Yamaha motorcycles on the land until it suspended its operations many years ago.

It was also gathered that the courier company paid its rent on a four-yearly basis and, indeed, renewed its rent last September for the next four years.

Attempts were made by the Nigerian Tribune to get the officials of the courier company to comment on the development, but the Transport Manager, Mr. Femi Odunbaku, said he was not competent to speak on the matter.

Rather, he stressed that it was only the top hierarchy of the management, especially, the managing director, that could comment.

He said: “I am not in a position to give you any information on it. I can’t give you any information on it.” When he was asked to oblige us with the phone numbers of the managing director and others he said were in the position to speak on the issue, he promised to seek their consent first and get back to our correspondent.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/23/607.html
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by aieromon(m): 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2009
How many other lands does R.I.P ex-1st lady have that OBJ and the masses don't know about?
The company should just play ball with the locals 'cos i doubt if there are documents backing Stella as the landowner.The locals know this 'tis why OBJ is findin' excuses for not confronting the troublemakers.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Coleslove: 1:20pm On Nov 24, 2009
When would the greed of personal gains cease? I don't care who owns the land and who inherits the land but must we chase all the country's investment out? Is DHL's activity not helping the economy?

Well, i hope they get things resolved, redail Muyiwa's number for me please
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by koolchicco: 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2009
[size=0pt].[/size]
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by echobee(f): 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2009
that serves him right. atleast he too seized other peoples property. i pray those guys should seize his farm also
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by nethacker(m): 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2009
these omo -oniles r really getting outta hand angry angry angry angry
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Ajike: 2:27pm On Nov 24, 2009
the best thing is to vacate that property totally because those hungry lion will alsways come for more
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by semid4lyfe(m): 2:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
Hmmm, interesting. Poor DHL!
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by blackchief(m): 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2009
IF THE LAND BELONG TO THE PEOPLE AS THERE ARE SAYING, HOW DID JOHN HOLT GET TO SALE THE LAND TO STELLA.

I SEE ANOTHER MONEY MAKING BUSINESS FOR NIGERIAN LAWYERS
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Hanoobaba(m): 3:24pm On Nov 24, 2009
Wait till the hubby join her before other families start claiming their lands. Greedy couples acquiring lands that they will leave one day. Hectares of land that belong to our family at Obada-oko was taken by the hubby at 3naira per plot. Can you imagine that! I wonder who will stop us from taking our land back when he is no longer existing.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by blackboy(m): 3:25pm On Nov 24, 2009
The problem in Nigeriaor should I say the reason Nigeria is the way it is because of the Nigerian Police, the judiciary and lazy or corrupt jornalist.

This is a disgrace as a group of ppl in the name of Omo onile or natives with the combined help of the police should hold a company which is an employer of labour , pays their taxes, , simply a corporate entity being treated like this. Black mailed, held ransom, made to pay to have their own property out after being evicted unlawfully.

Sum it up, the law is not respected around here just money, power, aggression , violence rules!!

Now who says it's OBJ's land or he doesn't know what's going on. So saying good for him he too took other people's land by force don't hold water  cause have you ever seen MILITARY ZONE written on any property , it's a strong warning even omo onile know they have to fear. A war general, former president omom onile messing with him? Come on, that's a joke!! and with police men? in Nigeria?lol nahh within a few hours truck loads of soldiers will be at the location sorting things out ruthlessly.

I smell a collabo with OBJ , they want to use the land for somthing or got a higher bidder or simply they are just looking for trouble they can't handle.

This mess should be sorted out ASAP as it's not good for investor confidence in Lagos State in particular and Nigeria as a whole. Also Omo onile's should be called to order especially in Lagos.

Heads must roll for this in despicable , disgraceful act. Justice must be done. DHL should seek justice. It's unacceptable
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Pennywise(m): 3:34pm On Nov 24, 2009
Obasanjo was also quoted as saying it was against the African custom and tradition for a widower to inherit the property of his wife

Hear a man whose entire life has been characterized by dubiety. Always looking for the easiest way out in times of tribulation.

Never minding and usually at the expense of what is right and proper- even if it means betraying his late wife. That is vintage Obasanjo. We saw it when state Govs were declaring mini republics and proclaiming Sharia laws under his watch. What a shame.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Xam9: 4:09pm On Nov 24, 2009
We are all complaining on how the.economy doin,hear we are trying to send one of the company that have been helping the economy away.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Xam9: 4:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
We are all complaining on how the.economy doin,hear we are trying to send one of the company that have been helping the economy away.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Xam9: 4:12pm On Nov 24, 2009
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 24, 2009
So who has been collecting the rent?,,
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by ankeade: 5:08pm On Nov 24, 2009
Bluetooth, U are right indeed.
The last rent, whose account did they pay it into.
Or does Late Stella Obasanjo still have any transaction with them?

For Obasanjo, abeg, don't mind the old fool.
He has no idea. Is that an excuse? shocked
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by chosen04(f): 6:14pm On Nov 24, 2009
[quote author=Aloy~Emeka link=topic=356466.msg4984353#msg4984353 date

Instead, he was said to have advised the company to call Muyiwa, Stella’s son, who is based in the United States, so that he could save the day.

The source claimed Muyiwa did not pick his phone when calls went through, leaving the company to consider temporary alternative means of getting out of the quagmire.

[quote][/quote]

Is Obj this wicked? So Muyiwa is now Stella's son cos there is a problem. Why cant he say call my son(Muyiwa)
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by vislabraye(m): 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2009
Imagine. Is her property spoils of war?
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by beefy23(m): 7:48pm On Nov 24, 2009
Without going into the specifics of whether or not the land was actually owned by the late Mrs, this is a classic case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

The country wants investors to bring in their cash and create employment opportunities; they want the 'diasporeans' to come home and fulfil their quota to the development of the place BUT are unwilling to see to it that the law of the jungle does not prevail and that people can go about their biz without the threat of blackmail and molestation from every tout that thinks there's something for nothing.

On the other hand, maybe they're just replaying what they see happening within Govt on a national level.

I tire for Naija O!
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by mamagee3(f): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2009
Are they still dealing with her property after 4 years of her death?
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by lucian2: 9:44pm On Nov 24, 2009
Hanoobaba, if you are waiting for obj to die before you claim back your father's land, sorry for this piece of news, you 've got a long long time to wait because baba is an 'odeshi'. The man is too strong to die soonest. who knows, you may even die before him.
Hanoobaba:

Wait till the hubby join her before other families start claiming their lands. Greedy couples acquiring lands that they will leave one day. Hectares of land that belong to our family at Obada-oko was taken by the hubby at 3naira per plot. Can you imagine that! I wonder who will stop us from taking our land back when he is no longer existing.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by violent(m): 10:15pm On Nov 24, 2009
Only in Nigeria: Militiants, Boko Haram, Omonile, Agberos and the list goes on, someone is always out there to demand for your hard earned cash, i see lawsuits coming up shortly, and thts going to take another 10 years to resolve, anyway, that's why we call it Nigeria right?
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by AloyEmeka6: 12:56am On Nov 25, 2009
violent:

Only in Nigeria: Militiants, Boko Haram, Omonile, Agberos and the list goes on, someone is always out there to demand for your hard earned cash, i see lawsuits coming up shortly, and thts going to take another 10 years to resolve, anyway, that's why we call it Nigeria right?

LWKMD grin grin grin You forgot to add OPC, Bakassi and egbesu.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by puskin: 1:09am On Nov 25, 2009
Omo-nilè's.
They alwayz live up to their name.
Also add the Oluwole peeps.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by AloyEmeka6: 2:31am On Nov 25, 2009
Ajike:

the best thing is to vacate that property totally because those hungry lion will alsways come for more

How about arresting them with the police? embarassed embarassed
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by stede(m): 4:22am On Nov 25, 2009
nawa ooo, these omo onile don't know law angry angry angry angry
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by Nobody: 5:28am On Nov 25, 2009
I have said it before on other thread and will say it again on this thread. If you own a land in Lagos or you know someone that owns a land in Lagos, go and register the land properly with all the necessary documents and make sure there is no dispute over the land. If the government needs your land, don't sell it, give it out for rent. And enjoy your money flowing in for you. They can't force you to sell if you don't want to. If the project is that important to them, they'll agree to your terms. There is no law that allows the government to take over lands as they wish. Goodluck

Eko oni Baje!!
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by BTT(m): 6:37am On Nov 25, 2009
In Nigeria there are 7 tiers of govt

i. the lame executive
ii. the chairthrowing legisture
iii. the procrastinating judiciary
iv. the hungry and so, morally bankrupt media
v the agberos with head office in lagos, nigeria
vi. the omo oniles and
vii. Nairalanders on nairaland

If yu dont understand these things these govts wherever you find urself in nigeria, u r strictly on ur own.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by BTT(m): 6:41am On Nov 25, 2009

i. the lacklustre executive
vi. the omo oniles and
vii. [i]Nairalander[/i]s on nairaland

If yu dont understand these things these govts wherever you find urself in nigeria, u r strictly on your own.
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by matiltomd(f): 6:44am On Nov 25, 2009
~Bluetooth:

So who has been collecting the rent?,,

I knew someone will definitely ask this.i was thinking of this also.who have they been paying to?DHL isn't a shop in Balogun Market or a telephone business center. Why are they talking as if what we're talking about is just an "ordinary space" that one agbero will just come and overthrow. after all, they still paid some money September last year-fine! who did they pay to?or is DHL this weak?do they need outsiders to think for them?then why call Obasanjo in the first place?na im them pay to?that sounds a bit retarded to me, that means i can go tomorrow with some agberos to torment and extort money from them, hiss
Re: Land Owners Seize Obasanjo's Property, Eject Occupants. by violent(m): 10:35am On Nov 25, 2009
BTT:

i. the lame executive
vi. the omo oniles and
vii. Nairalanders on nairaland

If yu dont understand these things these govts wherever you find urself in nigeria, u r strictly on your own.

Ur next beer is on me! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Gradually Becoming A Failed State ? / Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman / Throw Back Picture Of Diepreye Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.